Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAME GAME  (Read 19459 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE NAME GAME
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2004, 06:39:33 AM »

OH, THE BRAINIAC...fun movie! I love those 1950s/60s Mexican horror films!! Cheesy and fun! My favorite being CURSE OF THE DOLL PEOPLE!

Here is my question for BK...are you going to visit at the Hollywood Collectors Show in Burbank this weekend?

If you do, please stop by Laurie Mitchell's table and say hello! Tell her Michael Barnum sent you!

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2004, 06:41:07 AM »

Yikes, it is 6:40 am and I must not climb into my Toyota Tercel and speed along I-5! Don't know if I will have an opportunity to check in much today, but will catch up (ketchup) tonight!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2004, 06:56:01 AM »

In today's name game,  I shall be known as Clay.  Or Ford.  I can't decide.

Clay it is.  (Go with your first instinct.....)  ClayStuart.

DR DiT (or whatever your name-day moniker is or will be....)  Was that cheesecake from Junior's in my home borough of Brooklyn?  Or perhaps Miss Grimble's, also well known for their cheesecake?  I don't particularly care for cheesecake, myself...  (And no comments about beefcake....)

DR TabPanni:  I will look forward to hearing about who called you from the Pantages last evening.  Is there a tour in town playing there?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:56:30 AM by Stuart »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 06:59:52 AM »

DR Clay,

The cheesecake bakery - and said to be superior to Juniors - is S&S Cheesecake in the Kingsbridge area of the Bronx. As well as running its own bake shop, it's said to supply some of the top restaurants.

- DR Merle-dit
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 07:01:27 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 07:12:31 AM »

DR Jose, I don't subscribe to Variety.  But the Cast Recording List usually posts all reviews.  So I could email it to you if they post it.  Do you still want it?

Also at broadwaystars.com they have most of the 10 Comm reviews grouped together.  It makes it much easier than looking them all up individually.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2004, 07:15:58 AM »

DR Jose,

You do know how to catch my attention - "Gross Out Alert" makes for must-reading. Sorry about the mouse problem. There were suggestions way back for DR Jason (you may want to go to his Member page and search mouse/mice?) - one of them being the electric plug-in things that emit mini-sounds that drive a mouse wild (a sort of Sugar reference). IIWY (if I were you), I'd persist with your landlord. BTW (and can you tell I have direct experience here?), did you check the kitchen drawers? oven? under the cushions? bread basket?

Good luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 07:19:20 AM »

Comic strips? The last one I read regularly was "Abbie an' Slats - Featuring Bathless Groggins."

Ben

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2004, 07:24:05 AM »

I read Doonesbury. Some people (and some newspapers) don't consider it a comic strip but it's the only one I read every day. Of course, I read the NY Times and they have no comics, except for editorial cartoons in the Sunday section, so I don't even see Doonesbury in the newspaper. It's part of my Yahoo page. I also go to the Doonesbury/Slate site to read sometimes, because as I get older (sigh) I find I have trouble (even with glasses) reading the small print on some of the panels.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2004, 07:38:51 AM »

I think I'd like to be called Veronica.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2004, 07:41:04 AM »

ALIAS SEASON THREE SPOILER TALK****

BK, were you disappointed that Sloane was only Syd's dad for that one episode?

That was an interesting twist.  One episode he says he's her father.  Then we find out he's the FATHER OF HER SISTER.

Okay, so you've seen the final episode.  What do you think happened at the end?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 07:45:34 AM by Jennifer »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2004, 08:20:53 AM »

DR Clay-Stuart - I may never know who called me from the Pantages. It may have been a wrong number. Or perhaps Twyla or Billy were calling to schmooze.  (MOVING OUT is playing there at the moment.)

Panni

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2004, 08:22:13 AM »

DR Sal-Jose  ("Do you know the way to Sal-Jose?") - I'll post Variety excerpts in a few minutes.

Panni

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2004, 08:26:25 AM »

BTW - Later in the day I may add "Tuesday" to my moniker. Depending how I feel. I may metamorophose into...
Tab Tuesday Panni.
Or am I being greedy?

Ben

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2004, 08:33:19 AM »

I like Tuesday Panni, even Tab Tuesday Panni. Except for the child on the Addams Family, I don't remember ever hearing of a child named Wedneday.

Panni

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2004, 08:44:29 AM »

From Tab Tuesday Panni - as requested by Sal

The Ten C's - Variety - Excerpts
By JOEL HIRSCHHORN
'The Ten Commandments'
Val Kilmer, as Moses, listens for the voice of God in 'The Ten Commandments.'

Ads and billboards touting the U.S. premiere of this biblical extravaganza proudly proclaim, "Val Kilmer is Moses!" Well, uh, not exactly. In this sung-through musical, Kilmer's passive Moses appears to be following the commandment "Thou shalt not express passion," since he responds with somnambulistic detachment to every situation, even underplaying in the face of killer plagues and the parting of the Red Sea.

Launched in Paris as "Les Dix Commandments" and rewritten for American consumption, the elaborate $12 million show, co-produced by celebrated costume designer Max Azria, surrounds its passive hero with eye candy. Unfortunately, Maribeth Derry's lackluster lyrics often yank us from 3,300 years ago to the present with clunky modern lines that offer awkwardly rhymed cliches in place of plot development or character.

Patrick Leonard (who co-wrote Madonna's "Like a Prayer" and collaborated with Elton John and Fleetwood Mac) occasionally offers a listenable tune ("The Horns of Jericho"), although the numbers rarely rise to any height of theatrical excitement and lean too heavily on ballads.

"If I Can Let You Go" kicks the story off quickly when Moses is rescued and adopted by Queen Bithia (Luba Mason) after his mother, Yokebed (Michelle Pereira), reluctantly surrenders him to save his life. A love-hate relationship later ensues with brother Ramses (Kevin Earley), and before long, they're competing for seductive, scheming Nefertari (Lauren Kennedy).
…Earley, as ruthless Ramses, goes a long way toward compensating for the fact that Kilmer's colorless vocals don't soar. (Even with the aid of two teleprompters, Kilmer still made noticeable slips.)
Fresh from a Broadway stint in "Thoroughly Modern Millie," Earley, a magnificent singer, confronts Kilmer with smoldering rage and competitiveness (even if such lines to Moses as "you're acting kinda strange" destroy any illusion of reality). It's an unequal contest, since Earley acts up a storm and Kilmer gives him nothing to play against.

Earley's solo "Glory of Ra" spells out his lust for power, and he projects as much blazing heat as the vividly staged burning bush (designed by Robert W. Rang) when defying Big M and refusing to free his slaves.

Second-act opener "Light of a New Day" features a superb vocal by Alisan Porter; Adam Lambert, as Joshua, does a knockout version of "Is Anybody Listening?," the show's bid for a top-40 hit. Director Robert Iscove has chosen a group of brilliant singers, and they hit notes expansive enough to fill the enormous Kodak stage. In general, the numbers would land even more strongly if musical director Greg Chun capped them with explosive climaxes, rather than letting them trail off tamely and dissipate.

….Few of the show's effects deliver on their promise of excitement. After Moses announces, "I will stretch forth my hand and tell the sea to part," the sight of the Red Sea is a letdown. Inexplicably, the water -- composed of plastic walls made to look like ice -- looks like a setting for the Titanic instead of a biblical backdrop.

…One story choice is massively misguided: the decision to let a young boy (Graham Phillips) sing a solo revealing the contents of the newly discovered commandments. It's a sweet interlude, but hey, Chuck Heston wouldn't have handed that historical moment to a child or anyone else. It would increase Moses' stature immensely and leave a crucial impression of heroism if Kilmer personally passed along these trailblazing tips to his followers.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2004, 08:50:16 AM »

Dan Zack has decided henceforth that Dan Zack will refer to himself in the third person in order to enhance the coolness and allure that is Dan Zack.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2004, 08:52:18 AM »

BK, I just posted a message on yesterday's day.  I wasn't locked out.  Something's wrong...that's definitely a plot twist of a different ballgame!

What an incredible plot twist that was - and in an even MORE incredible plot twist yesterday's postings are now locked.  Yesterday was the Houdini day of plot twists.

Panni

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2004, 08:53:17 AM »

Tab Tuesday Panni thinks that Dan Zack is on to something way cool. Furthermore, TTP feels that ALL the DRs should refer to their dear selves in the third person to add to the coolness of it all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2004, 08:54:37 AM »

Ask BK: What's your history with homes with swimming pools?  You seem to be enjoying this new one.  Been in houses with pools before?

This is the first house I've ever lived in that has had a swimming pool.  Right now there's something wrong with the heater again - seems it's just stopping and starting of its own accord and what it's doing is definitely not normal or what it was doing, so we have to get the pool guy out here to fix it up good, then I'll enjoy it again.  But, it's fun just to go outside and jump in the pool, or take a hot tub before bed - really liking that a lot.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2004, 08:56:35 AM »

My question for AskBK day - this was sort of answered yesterday.  I just watched a movie called GAS-S-S which featured Miss Cindy Williams and was kind of a mess.  But it seemed to me that everyone in it was someone you might have known...including Mr Bud Cort.  I was going to ask you how you escaped being in this disaster....but you were in New York when it was filmed....would be my guess.  Have you seen this film....what do you think of it?

Gassss was filmed before I really had my foot in the door in the business and I do think I was in NY at the time.  I've never seen it but from what I understand it was barely releasable and was one of Corman's few unmitigated bombs.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2004, 08:56:36 AM »

ClayStuart is defintely one for referring to himself in the third person.....who knows what sort of personailty traits he might take on.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2004, 08:59:16 AM »

Well, I'm not sure how to address myself this morning, Rock-Ben or Troy-Ben or Ben-Troy or Ben-Rock. How about RockBenTroy. OK. That's what I'll be for now.

Here is a link to the Reuters review of 10 Cs. The name of the reviewer is Jay Reiner and he seemed to really like it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=801&ncid=771&e=1&u=/nm/20040929/stage_nm/review_stage_commandments_dc

Well, Mr. Reiner will have to live with that review, won't he?  There isn't a person I've talked to who has seen this show who hasn't thought it was total dreck.  Perhaps Mr. Azria has told the Hollywood Reporter that he'll be doing a lot of advertising with them, or perhaps Mr. Reiner just loved it, or perhaps Mr. Reiner is someone without critical standards, or perhaps Mr. Reiner is just plain silly.  I'd like to know some shows that Mr. Reiner DIDN'T like and some other shows he DID like.

Panni

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2004, 09:01:44 AM »

Tab Tuesday Panni has now lived for almost a year with a gorgeous pool right outside her front door. Never once has she set foot in said gorgeous pool. For one thing it's not heated -- although she's been told it's very pleasant. But TTP does NOT like cold water. TTP has owned two houses with pools and the pools were indeed heated so they were almost like bathtubs. In spite of that, TTP hardly ever went in the water. TTP must conclude that, although she's a Pisces, she's not a big fan of getting wet other than in the shower. TTP loves taking long hot showers.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2004, 09:05:29 AM »

...Which reminds TTP that she has spent far too long posting this morning (it's been fun) and has not as yet showered - and she must be somewhere at 10:30.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2004, 09:08:10 AM »

Ask BK:

This is a follow up to my question to you last week.

You mentioned you were happy to have a web site with polite and civilized conversation.  I agree strongly with you on this.  I have visited many other sites on the web, both theatrical and non-theatrical.  The level of conversation is just not as high as at HHW.  More to the point, I can't believe how people argue with each other on the internet.   Disagreement is fine and natural, but the level it is taken to is something to see.  Personal insults and obscenities are the norm.  I am sure you and other posters have seen and know what I am talking about.

This doesn't seem to happen at HHW.  So...

What has occurred to allow HHW be a haven for intelligent conversation and a place where people can disagree with respect?

I have simply done my best to keep this from becoming like that, and thanks to the level of person who visits here, we have been mostly successful, especially since the introduction of this particular board.  In the old days we used to post directly after the notes, there was no board, there was no registering and I had no control over Uncouth Interlopers of which we had our share.  They came from two places, these Uncouth Interlopers did - place one simply could not stand that I had good humor and a popular website in the midst of the personal turmoil I was being put through at the time.  They were obvious and sickening and karma has and will continue to take care of them, one would hope.

Place two is more interesting and has to do with a former dear reader and a "friend" of the former dear reader.  It was a very sick situation and again people came here (a person, really) to do nothing but inflame and cause trouble and even I lost it a few times and threatened to shut us down.  Ironically, the former dear reader, for whom the situation had gotten unbearable, said that they really wanted to stay on the site and would if I would get us a password-protected board so that it wasn't as easy for these cretins to cause trouble.  I did that so that I ultimately could shut the cretins down with the push of a button.  Since doing it, everything has been fine, but in a final twist of irony the former dear reader has never posted on this board.  I do believe the "friend" and perhaps even the dear reader visit this board regularly.  But with our registration process it is quite easy for me to trace where troublemakers come from and to instantly do something about it - that is why they haven't registered and that is why they haven't posted.  

And it's not that we haven't had some "moments" even on this board, because tone is hard to discern on the Internet, and sometimes certain subjects bring out volatile reactions - but somehow it never ever turns ugly like it does elsewhere.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2004, 09:10:33 AM »

BK - Will there be a CD of some sort with the new book for those of us who buy it direct from this here site?

My original intention was for there to be a CD that accompanied all sales of the book, whether here or in stores or wherever.  I'm just not sure it's going to be possible.  I'd like to do it, and if I can get it together in the next few weeks I may - a CD of highlights from the musical featured in the book.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2004, 09:11:46 AM »

Question for BK and all--what are you favorite currently running comic strips?  What are your favorites from the past.  And which ones do you just stare at and go "Huh?"

I haven't read a comic strip in forty years.  I used to like Terry and the Pirates, Prince Valient and Li'l Abner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2004, 09:32:26 AM »

Yes, I will be going to the Hollywood Collector's Show this weekend.  Can't wait!

ALIAS spoiler ALERT

It was an obvious cliffhanger to keep people guessing and wondering what she read.  I'm sure it will be good for a few episodes (the explanation) and then they'll just drop it and go on with what they were doing, which I hope doesn't get as silly as a few of these episodes were.  The reason I predicted the Sloane/dad plot twist was because of a look that Irina gave him.  And I think that may have been their original intention, but I think it would have probably painted them into a corner so they created the sister.  My feeling is the sister was a late addition - that originally they were thinking it was Sydney who was being the conduit.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2004, 09:57:01 AM »

RockBenTroy (or RBT as he know prefers to be called) had an enjoyable lunch of one half of a mushroom foccacia. RBT purchased it from what is fast becoming his favorite bakery, Baker's Bounty, a New Jersey company that only appears at his (RBT's) local greenmarket on Wednesday. After his mushroom delight, he had a wonderfully juicy plum. He is now back at his desk preparing to stare at another printout. He will also tune into the BBC for aural entertainment. He wishes everyone a good and productive afternoon and will check in later.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2004, 10:01:43 AM »

Thanks for the update RockBenTroy.

Ages ago a friend told me that there was once an appearance by a Li'l Abner character by the name of Troy Vey. (Or maybe it was a reference to a relative of a character.) Does anyone know if that's true?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up