Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAME GAME  (Read 19498 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE NAME GAME
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2004, 12:40:38 PM »

Congrats, DR Stone Elmore!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2004, 12:40:44 PM »

Skippy Jay finds it interesting that the L.A. Times, which lacks a dedicated theatre critic, would send its classical music critic to review The Ten Commandments instead of one its theatre stringers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 12:41:54 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2004, 12:41:19 PM »

And one for Troy Rock Mahler.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2004, 12:42:23 PM »

DRJENNIFER - you were right, he was wrong.  It will be great when you go back in a couple of days from now to see if he is still there.

I still miss THE FAR SIDE.  I sometimes read ZITS.....but so many of the strips just aren't funny to me, or have no point that I can see....and political cartoons that are NOT on the editorial page are a pain in the neck to me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2004, 12:43:29 PM »

I'm going to be Stone today, since Clay's been taken, I believe.

ClayStuart fowards you his sincere apologies.  But StoneElmore is a hip, happening name as well.  At least ClayStuart thinks so.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2004, 12:45:01 PM »

That's wonderful, Dear Reader elmore3003!  

And, if I might add, quite reminiscent of the last scene in Interrupted Melody.  Did you sing the Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde as you took your first steps?

Sometimes, Dear Brother Skippy Jay, ClayStuart thinks you and he are the only people who ever saw this movie.  Or at least reference it in everyday converstaions.

Panni

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2004, 12:45:19 PM »

I find it interesting that the L.A. Times, which lacks a dedicated theatre critic, would send its classical music critic to review The Ten Commandments instead of one its theatre stringers.

If the 10 C's aren't classical, what is? They been around longer even than that Russian dude, Titichkowsky.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2004, 12:45:45 PM »

Panni, I throw out samples all the time.  And I try to avoid chocolate at night.

Hi elmore. :)

I will return later to read today’s posts.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2004, 01:01:06 PM »

If the 10 C's aren't classical, what is? They been around longer even than that Russian dude, Titichkowsky.

Tab Tuesday Panni, watch your phrasology! :o (a Music Man reference) ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 01:02:19 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2004, 01:02:49 PM »

Hi elmore. :)

Hello, Jane. :)

I'm Stone today, and with the ache  in my leg, I wish I was stoned!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2004, 01:03:52 PM »

DR TabPanni, I love the violinist.  Is he burning while Rome fiddles?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2004, 01:15:38 PM »

Titichkowsky

Ah, yes.  Titichkowsky.  The composer's little-known, large-breasted sister.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2004, 01:23:44 PM »

Interrupted Melody....hmmmmmmmm.....Eleanor Parker....hmmmmmmm....I saw it...  

I think as movies go only Tony Polar and Neely O'Hara got more out of a scene in a wheelchair...  but Eleanor and ALL that hair....oh my!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2004, 01:28:43 PM »

Gee - I had forgotten Glenn Ford was in that picture!  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2004, 01:28:58 PM »

Dan Zack had meetings all afternoon.  Dan Zack hates having meetings all afternoon.  Especially when Dan Zack has a brew (or two) at lunch.

Dan Zack now has to rush off to the House of Mom, where he will meet with a man who will replace the roof of the House of Mom.  Replacing the roof of the House of Mom has nothing to do with the wind that kicked up from the remnents of Hurricane Jeanne that hit New Jersey last night--it's just a necessary repair that's been put off for far too long.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2004, 01:36:14 PM »

Elmore---
All the classic LITTLE LULU comics are going to be reprinted with the first scheduled for early this November.  Check your local comic store.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2004, 01:36:52 PM »

Hi, there!  I'm Rock White.  My friends call me "Salt."

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »

Question for BK for the "Ask BK Day"... I recently finished listening to the new JAY recording of "Lucky Stiff" and while I found the reasoning for this recording necessary (recording the show as it was concieved... with just a piano) I found the performances rather bland and the whole thing lacked spunk.  So my question is what kind of stories do you have from your recording of the show?  Was it a positive experience, negative experince, how were the composers to work with... etc, blah blah blah.  Thanks!!!

I don't think the "piano" thing was the justification for the JAY recording - I think it was cheap to do, that was the justification.  Haven't heard it and don't intend to.  We all loved making our recording and Lynn and Steve and I got along famously.  It's the only album of mine that Vinnie didn't work on and I wish he had - it would sound a bit better, although it sounds pretty good as it is.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 01:43:30 PM by bk »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2004, 01:44:56 PM »

I've been E&T all day today taking care of various chores around the house since this is my "bum day" (i.e. no rehearsal, no appointments, no dates), and I come on late in the day to find I've been re-christened TroyMattH.

OK, I'll take it. Any association with a hunk that good looking has got to be positive!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »

I have got several things on the DVR that I've just got to find time to watch today so I can clear that hard drive off.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2004, 01:47:35 PM »

There was a recent NK question that went unanswered about whether my father's happy back east.  I'd have to say that the answer is yes.  It seemed, for about thirty years, that he had show business in his blood.  Leaving that all behind seemed an unlikely move at the time, but, the more I think about it, the more I think the change did him some good.  Only those who remember the game Careers will understand when I say he traded in $ and fame (stars) for happiness (hearts).

I asked the question and I'm pleased to read a happy ending to the story.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

RockBenTroy here with another vacation picture. We're almost done with them.

We went to the Science Museum of Minnesota. A very good museum, IMHO. There is/was an exhibit on the body, and Anthony, always looking for interesting photo ops, came up with this one.
It's so nice to see a man who's good with his hands.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2004, 02:00:13 PM »

This morning I went for a walk at Pioneer Arizona Living History Museum, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2004, 02:00:33 PM »

Question for BK and all--what are you favorite currently running comic strips?  What are your favorites from the past.  And which ones do you just stare at and go "Huh?"
Since we don't get a daily newspaper these days, I use a couple of internet sites to keep up with my faves.

Currently, I regularly check in at Comics.com for For Better or For Worse, Luann, and Pibgorn.

On a weekly basis, I'm fond of Adam and Andy, which now has a spin-off called Zuma's Diner.

And I really do miss Leonard and Larry.

Panni

« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »

Just read that ROSEMARY'S BABY is going to be remade as a 4 hour ABC miniseries (incorporating the sequel, SON OF ROSEMARY).
I (or Tab-Tuesday-Panni) can hardly wait for RockTroyBruce's comments.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2004, 02:03:58 PM »

Sal it isn’t fun when you have a mouse in the house.  Less fun when you have generations of mine running around.  I believe I have told my story of the mouse running up my arm.  You bet I screamed.  The poor mouse was just as scared as I was.   ;D

I have always wanted to be Elizabeth Jane.  And now Keith has uncovered a number of Elizabeth Jane’s while researching my family.  Today a birth certificate arrived for a Rebecca Jane.  I like that too.  So for today I will be Rebecca Jane.

Dash-Jrand is great.  I like Dash.

Rock Ben Troy such a fun photo. :D

RaceBarnum (another good name even if it sounds like a dogs name) did you take off work to spend the day with your grandniece?  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2004, 02:05:56 PM »

Since Calvin and Hobbes left, I rarely visit the comics page for very long anymore.  How about your vote for the worst comic strips ever...

Top of my list for Worst Comics:

HENRY (Did he always go fishing every week?  Did he always catch an old boot or old tire?  Why was it funny?  Why did he have no mouth? Rick Moranis did an hilarious Henry take-off on SCTV once)

THE LITTLE KING (almost as stupid as Henry)

DONDI (Anyone remember this dreary strip?  Extra points if you remember the bad movie with David Jansen.)

NANCY (why did Aunt Fritzi Ritz always appear only around corners?)

MARMADUKE (Typical script...Dog does something stupid or destructive or supposedly cute.  Someone says or shrugs or gives that look that seems to imply: "Ohhh, that Marmaduke!")

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2004, 02:07:48 PM »

Elmore---
All the classic LITTLE LULU comics are going to be reprinted with the first scheduled for early this November.  Check your local comic store.

Well, DR WEL, that is great news!  Tubby Tompkins and the clubhouse will be back to plague Little Lulu.  I don't remember the name of the kid to whom she told the Witch Hazel stories.  Speaking of comics, it was a Scrooge McDuck comic about the search for the golden fleece that got me interested in mythology, which probably led to my getting a B.A. in Latin.  But I also was mad about the 1955 Robert Wise film of HELEN OF TROY, which I prefer to the Brad Pitt version, so maybe that did it?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »

DONDI (Anyone remember this dreary strip?  Extra points if you remember the bad movie with David Jansen.)

One of the great horror films!  Isn't that boy playing Dondi a zombie of Mora Tau?

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »

I think remaking ROSEMARY'S BABY is a ridiculous idea. The film could NOT be better. Extending into a 4 hour miniseries is dragging out an already slim story. I smell disaster on the same level as THE SHINING miniseries remake for TV.

They're also remaking ALL THE KING'S MEN, another dead brain idea.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up