Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PACKED TO THE GILLS  (Read 22762 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:PACKED TO THE GILLS
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2004, 08:01:59 AM »

(I just reread my post - I hope it didn't sound like I was trivializing your misery, DR Panni.)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 08:03:29 AM »

Sorry for HUGE format.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2004, 08:12:51 AM »

I was looking at the front cover of the CATERED AFFAIR video, which, thankfully, proclaims: "In Glorious Black & White."

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2004, 08:14:22 AM »

Sorry I missed sending travel wishes to DRPanni.  Glad you arrived safely - I love the pictures.  Also DRTomovoz's photos of France.

Media report:

CD - In the car on the way to work and, now, in my computer while I work:  Songs from Ragtime - concept CD that DRelmore encouraged me to purchase earlier this month in NYC.  Yes, Larry, I like it a lot; it sounds better in my ears than it did in the car!

DVD - Sex and the City, Season 1, Disc 1.  Not having HBO, I've been out of that loop.  Elmore and both other friends with whom I spent time in NYC made reference to the series, so my dear husband (Elmore's junior/senior high and college classmate) is supplying the discs via Netflix.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2004, 08:26:48 AM »

I am enjoying seeing all the photos...immensely.  TomofOz: I am SO jealous that you visited all those places.  I can smell the country air.  I can smell the breads.  I can smell the roux being prepared in the kitchens.  I can almost taste the wine!  Ahhhhh.

Panni:  Keep us rolling in pix from Budapest!  Great shots of you and your DD.  How about some photos from Budapest restaurants (or kitchens)????  Photos of Budapest bakeries????

BK:  More photos, please, as you get your new abode into the shape you want.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 08:45:22 AM »

Yes all the photos from Tom and Panni are wonderful.

Travel is so broadening!  And I hope the KLM stewardess realizes what a kind thing she did!

Happy birthday to former DRLUDLOW!

Media Check:

DVD - THE FIGHT CLUB.
CD - OLIVER! OBC
VCR - SUSAN SLADE

I am looking forward to my care package DRMBARNUM.  Thanks!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2004, 08:58:54 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....the expression was first "stuffed to the gills" meaning that you could eat no more....the gills of a fish being about where the neck of a person was.

So I would guess that "packed to the gills" would mean something like "up to your neck" in it....which is higher than usual!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2004, 09:00:35 AM »

Man: "Hi."

Woman: "Hi up there."

Man:  "You getting all moved in allright?"

Woman:  "Sure."

Man:  "Would you like to come up and have a drink?"

Woman:  "I would love it.  Down here, I'm up to my ass in French Provencial."  

----Herb Gardner

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 09:16:06 AM »

Panni and Tomovoz you both have shown some wonderful pictures!!  Please keep 'em comin'!

In my VCR:  nothing.

In the pile to be played on my DVD player:  "That's Entertainment" (4-DVD set); Disney's "Home on the Range" and the new 2-DVD release of "Aladdin"

In my CD player:  I'll have to check when I get to work.  I have a pile there, but I forget what all I have.

On my record player to be recorded to CD:  "Porgy and Bess" with Cleo Laine and Ray Charles, the Book-of-the-Month Records' "P.D.Q. Back Strikes Back" compilation and a several album compilation set of Louis Armstrong.  I said that I'd record these for some people I know and I MUST do them this weekend.  I also have the BOTMR's "Songs of New York" that I won on eBay last year that has songs orchestrated by our very own Elmore!!  I must say that Ron Raines looks VERY different than he does now...unless they accidentally switched pictures.  Here's a more recent head shot:

And here's the scanned picture from 1984:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2004, 09:17:07 AM »

Ron is one who seems to have improved with age! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2004, 10:17:32 AM »

No posts in an hour.  I iz baffled.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2004, 10:23:16 AM »

Media check:

VCR: War Nurse (1930)

DVD: The Pay-Off (1930)

CD: Some wonderful CDs courtesy DR Elmore3003 who is trying is darndest to get me up to date on show songs and compostes. So I am listening to DE LOVELY: THE AUTHENTIC COLE PORTER COLLECTION (which is now one of my all time fave CDs) and OCA of CALL ME MADAM with Ethel Merman.

Also listening to a lounge music CD called Easy Tempo which consists of late 1960s groovy instrumentals.

And lastly I am listening (at this very moment) to the soundtrack to the new Bollywood film MAST.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2004, 10:26:08 AM »

Today starts the Godzilla film festival at the old Hollywood Theater in Portland. All Godzilla all the time today through next Thursday. I plan on going up today or tomorrow evening to see INVASION OF THE ASTRO MONSTERS (a.k.a MONSTER ZERO). Might go and see DESTROY ALL MONSTERS also, but not sure. Tried to get some friends to go with me, but oddly enough they declined. I need new friends.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2004, 10:27:52 AM »

Tonight's/last night's show went very well.  However, it was cell-phone city in the audience.  And, of course, they went off during the two quietest scenes in the show: Sheila's intro into "At the Ballet", and Paul's monologue.  UGH!  The first cell-phone just kept ringing and ringing.  And it was one of those rings that gets louder as rings, so...  I hope that person got lots of very dirty looks.

*I found out from a local that if someone's cell phone goes off while attending a production at the Houston Grand Opera, the management kindly but firmly asks the patron to leave the theatre.  GOOD POLICY!!!
Dear Jose: I learned (from the last time der B and I were in Texas) that Texas is cell phone central.  It was impossible to look in any direction without spotting at least two people with a hand each held to their ears.  This was even true during every trip to the men's room, while facing the wall and...well, let's just say that it was disturbing.  I ended up concluding that all these people had an ear infection of some sort.  I've yet to be convinced otherwise.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2004, 10:30:05 AM »

Last night, I dreamed I went to Manderley...

...and I asked him, "Who ARE you really?"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2004, 10:35:09 AM »

Car CD player: a trio of Disney discs, featuring twenty songs each from the animated films.  This was principally due to der Brucer's younger grandlad insisting that the music we were playing wasn't "cool."  When we asked him what was "cool," he mentioned the score to Tarzan.  Der B took the hint, and bought the set.

Only problem was, yesterday (while heading with said grandlad in the back seat to do some shopping) I was playing one of the CDs, and the grandlad complained that the music wasn't good.  So I tried a different track, and played a song from Tarzan.  THAT he liked.

Lesson learned.  Disney isn't cool.  And I doubt that Phil Collins is cool.  But Tarzan IS cool.

That the grandlad is just four years old helps to keep all this in perspective.

DVD players: Der Brucer has been playing things like Van Helsing and The Day After Tomorrow, and rolling his eyes at how bad they are.  I'm sticking with the classics, the Emma Peel episodes of The Avengers.  I'm beginning to want a cat-suit of my own.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2004, 10:39:01 AM »

BK, Restoration has stores all over the place locally.  I think at the Fashion Sq. right there in Sherman Oaks on Woodman & Riverside, is it?  Can't you just go there and buy the rug?  Anyway, eight days is well before your Christmas Eve Party.

In the CD:  Dusty Springfield in Memphis. Doesn't get much better than Dusty singing, "Just A Little Lovin' Early in the Morning".

DVD:  More Keen Eddies; the second edition of SCTV.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2004, 10:44:25 AM »

Speaking of the younger grandlad...

Maybe the musically trained in this crew can help with a few problems.  The grandlad has shown an interest in guitars.  We were in a music store at one point, and he knew that the strings are to be strummed, not slapped.  He's also told his mother that he would like to have a guitar.

His mother isn't so sure, of course.  She doesn't want to spend a lot of money on an instrument.  So I suggested that she look for a Baritone Ukelele instead.  My sister learned to play one before she got her first guitar, so I know that the strings are tuned the same as the top four strings of a guitar, and that the fingering is essentially the same (minus the bottom two strings).  It's basically a guitar junior.  And mother agrees that this would be a great idea (if we can find one at a really low price).

Der Brucer is insisting that what I've discribed is not a Baritone Ukelele, but a Tenor Guitar.  Ukeleles are played in a different manner, his logic tells him.

So, problem number one is: What instrument are we looking for?  Do we want a Baritone Ukelele, a Tenor Guitar, or are they in fact the same thing?

Second: What price range should we expect to pay?  I'm thinking for both "really cheap" and for something reasonably decent.

Third: Is four too young to start learning to play an instrument?

Thanks in advance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2004, 10:49:44 AM »

Pogue, you mis-read: It would be eight weeks from the time I place my order - in other words the beginning of January, due to the holidays.  I bought my two recent lamps at the Restoration Hardware store in Sherman Oaks.  The stores, unfortunately, don't carry the rugs, but I may take dear reader Jose's advice and try to order through the store directly.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2004, 10:57:33 AM »

BK:  More photos, please, as you get your new abode into the shape you want.
My hunch is the new abode is already in the shape it will be in, unless BK is planning on knocking down a few walls.  But what he does within that shape would make for some good pics.

And Panni, the pics you've posted look great!  Please post more!  More!  MORE!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:02 AM »

Expo has a lovely selection of rugs, often at good price.  There's one in Westwood, I believe, in the old Bullock's building.

Ikea carries reasonably priced rugs, too, though a lot of their selection consists of not very attractive machine-made polyester rugs.  They do have some nice hand-made wool ones, though, last time I checked.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »

DR MBarnum - Congrats on becoming a 2001 man!

And while I'm waiting for a delivery to arrive, I also noted that DR JRand and DR Panni are approaching 5000, now tied at 4944.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:24 AM »

Oh, what a feast for the eyes hhw has been these last few days!  I have been delighting in Tomovoz's gorgeous photos of France--only hoping he will eventually post one of DR François and perhaps some of his very self and Colin in exotic settings!

And rather a lot of fun to follow DR Panni's travels today, from LA all the way to Buda or Pest, whichever one she is in, and to see the pix of her and DD.  Vicarious fun for me here at the office indeed.

CD Player at the Office:  I am listening to Doug Cohen's musical No Way to Treat a Lady.  But it is not, I repeat, not the Original York Theatre Production produced by our very own BK.  It is rather the original Italian production, retitled Serial Killer per Signora.  The CD has 30 tracks, one minute and eighteen seconds, much of the dialogue.  I can't understand much of it at all, of course, but the performers are delightful.  Right now, I'm listening to "Quella Bellissima Gente", i.e. "One of the Beautiful People".

And that is just one of the CD's I have recently acquired in my semi-annual buying orgy.  Some others that have just arrived:

Sail Away, OLC.  Well, this was reissued by the Record Company That Dare Not Speak Its Name--or even take orders on its website.  I don't have the OBC, and this recording is not quite what I expected.  No overture.  Stritch doesn't sing the title song, and there is no "Little Ones' ABC's".  But it does have an added song "Brookville Darby and Joan", pure Coward, an apparently idyllic elderly couple explaining that, despite appearances, they actually loath one another.  And it is great to have La Stritch singing "Why Do the Wrong People Travel?"

Little Me, the Martin Short/Faith Prince revival produced by our very own BK.  This one totally delights me (despite the cutting of the one song in all musical comedy that mentions Esperanto).  Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. BK for including so much of the dialogue.  It's like being at the show.

And I have a whole box from Footlight to go through!  I feel so good, I could dance the old yahoo step!  (Oh, a Carol Channing reference!)
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:57 AM »

I must say that Ron Raines looks VERY different than he does now...unless they accidentally switched pictures.  Here's a more recent head shot:

And here's the scanned picture from 1984:
Hmmmm...Hair Club for Men?

(Not to be confused as a response to DR Jay's reply #50.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 11:05:35 AM by S. Woody White »

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2004, 11:05:10 AM »

DR MBarnum - Congrats on becoming a 2001 man!

Wow, how did that happen!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2004, 11:09:04 AM »

Here's a photo of the living room - one angle of it anyway.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2004, 11:27:43 AM »

And here is what remains in that box from Footlight:

The Anastasia Affair produced by our very own BK and our very own Nick Redman, on the Bay Cities label.  Some of those are still obtainable!

An Evening with Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting, the wife of Mr. relgnarW kcaJ, of whom there has been some discussion here in times past.

Anyone Can Whistle OBC.  Strange that I never owned that until now.

Other classics:  Bloomer Girl, Dames at Sea, Do Re Mi, Henry Sweet Henry, Scrooge, St. Louis Woman, The Goodbye Girl, Orpheus in the Underworld.

Lorelei  I have the vinyl album, but a lot of songs are missing, and the CD includes several additional ones, including "Men", the song Channing sang on the Tonys broadcast.

Also Debbie Does Dallas, a French Irma la Douce, 2002 revival, a couple of Flanders and Swann albums, La Strada.  

Is it a sin to buy so many CDs at once?  Well, I have another box or two coming from Amazon, too.  So I guess I'm going to Musical Theatre Hell.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 11:40:59 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I got about five hours of sleep between the hours of 5:00am-ish and 11:00am-ish... And, yes, I know that's a span of six hours...  I suspect I'll be taking a nap this afternoon before heading into tonight's show.

After making a run to the post office earlier, I headed over to the Avalon Diner, another classic Houston Institution.  A true diner.  Formica counter, formica tabletops, waitresses that have been there since the 50's - and who know the names of all the regulars!, classic diner fare, etc.  -And in a nod to today's diet crazes, they even asterisk* which items on the menu are Atkin's Friendly.

I opted for Chicken & Dumplings.  Yum!  And I even got three vegetable sides with it too!  Zucchini & Tomatoes, Buttered Carrots, and Turnip Greens.  Yum!  I almost got a shake to go and/or a slice of the very scrumptious looking Coconut Cream Pie, but healthier heads prevailed.  Besides, I was already full by the time I was just halfway through my lunch.  Very generous portions.

-They are open until 5:00, so if I wake up in time from my nap...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2004, 11:36:34 AM »

DR Tomovoz - I'm sorry I have commented/complimented your earlier... Beautiful Pictures!!!   I'm still working my way through last week's posts, and I can't wait to see the other pics and reports that you've posted.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2004, 11:37:17 AM »

DR WFO - WOW!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up