Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: I CAN'T BE BOTHERED NOW  (Read 44737 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:I CAN'T BE BOTHERED NOW
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2007, 10:24:50 AM »

It may be the Beginning of the End!  I saw a movie like that once.  ;D

Actually, I think grasshoppers, which are with us almost all the time in some quantities, have cyclical patterns similar to locusts, which afflict communities every seven years or so.

Or am I confusing this with something else?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »

I'm being lazy, and must shortly deal with a telephonic call I must make.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »

Truffle Oil - Singdaw -YOU DIDN'T! :o

der Brucer
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:39:59 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

Re:
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2007, 10:31:01 AM »

Truffle Oil - Singdaw -YOU DIDN'T! :o

;D

Well, guinea pig is considered quite a delicacy in some parts...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2007, 10:35:25 AM »

;D

Well, guinea pig is considered quite a delicacy in some parts...

Whaddamiss?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »

DR der whatever was playing on the fact that my resident guinea pig is named Truffle.

It's a long story...

:)

Interesting article, DR JoseSPiano.  Thanks for the link.

Cillaliz

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2007, 10:39:25 AM »

As for Spring Awakening...

I have met a few people who also did not like it.  Myself, I liked it.

As for the repression aspect... The convention of having them take a microphone out of their costume and start singing their "inner monologues" worked for me.  And having those thoughts told in a modern language - both through the language and the music - worked for me too.  I liked the juxtaposition.

-And I have wondered if a different composer had been brought on board and tried to create a more period feeling for the music.  I have a sense that that approach would require a very skilled composer and lyricist in order to avoid the obviously melodramatic and treacly aspects of the plot.  But an opera, maybe?

And as far as today's teens not having the same problems as their Old Europe counterparts...  Today's teens still have problems, and, in my opinion, with all the information available to them, the problems are amplified.  Then once you add the internet hook-ups, STDs, AIDS, and the still not declining rate of teen pregnancies, well...  I think today's teens still have problems.  Unfortunately, instead of being "repressed", they are either ignorant, oblivious and/or have a very false sense of invincibility.

...And that's my soapbox moment for the decade.

I can understand your point of view.  I think maybe seeing it from onstage may have been a disadvantage.  I know I didn't get the full effect of the lighting and there were times where I was so interested in what they were doing technically that I let the story slide a little.  So, to be fair, I may have felt differently if I had seen it from the audience first.  

And at some point I realized Duncan Sheik was playing in the orchestra (do you call that an orchestra when it's more of a band?) So it was fun to watch him play...

Ok, maybe I wasn't exactly getting into the mood of the piece.

singdaw

« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »

How, exactly, does one eat a phase, anyway?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2007, 10:41:48 AM »

How, exactly, does one eat a phase, anyway?

On a bun with mustard.  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »

I have a question.  Maybe it's just the rules for the Tonys or whatever, but wouldn't the book writer for Spring Awakening be Frank Wedekind?
I thought that was the whole point, it's his play with modern music.  So, I don't get how Steven Satar is nominated for best book. Is it that he changed the original play so much that it is no longer the original play?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:43:20 AM by Cillaliz »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:04 AM »

And since we've been talking about conspiracy theories and cover-ups, you may want to check out the article in today's NY Times about Truffle Oil.

Hocus-Pocus, and a Beaker of Truffles

I loved this quote:

He described the essence that his company uses as “something from the truffle that is not the truffle.”

I see a chef looking at a cow patty while the farmer explains:

"It's something from the cow that is not the cow!"

der brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

DR MBARNUM I think HOMEFRONT made it to almost TWO seasons.

I think you are correct on that. It just seemed like it ended way too early.
 :-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:52:51 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam,

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:53:34 AM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »

That's the movie....with Brushes Kimmel conducting the commentary.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »

I don't get how Steven Satar is nominated for best book.

Ssh!  Steven Satar is actually Stephen Sondheim.  It's all a big conspiracy...

Cillaliz

« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2007, 11:00:12 AM »

I can understand your point of view.  I think maybe seeing it from onstage may have been a disadvantage.  I know I didn't get the full effect of the lighting and there were times where I was so interested in what they were doing technically that I let the story slide a little.  So, to be fair, I may have felt differently if I had seen it from the audience first.  

And at some point I realized Duncan Sheik was playing in the orchestra (do you call that an orchestra when it's more of a band?) So it was fun to watch him play...

Ok, maybe I wasn't exactly getting into the mood of the piece.

Now that I think of it, that was the problem for me. I got bored and started watching how things were done.   Omigod you guys, I think I'm getting old! Teenage angst and sexual repression seems to have left me cold.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:00:38 AM by Cillaliz »

singdaw

« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »

eenie, meenie, minie, mo...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »

I loved this quote:I see a chef looking at a cow patty while the farmer explains:

"It's something from the cow that is not the cow!"

der brucer

Uh-huh...and in California we call that either "tofu" or "soy"!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:05:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »

I have a question.  Maybe it's just the rules for the Tonys or whatever, but wouldn't the book writer for Spring Awakening be Frank Wedekind?
I thought that was the whole point, it's his play with modern music.  So, I don't get how Steven Satar is nominated for best book. Is it that he changed the original play so much that it is no longer the original play?

I'm not sure how the actual rules read, but I suspect if you change one line then it's a "based on" situation - and, if the original author is dead and the copywrite expired it's open season.

Shaw got no Best Book nod for My Fair Lady!

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2007, 11:07:53 AM »

re: my asking if anyone knew of any idol spoiler sites.

Aren't you the one who doesn't like spoilers ::)

der Brucer

Yes, you are right!  But that is for things that have already happened/been taped.  IDOL is happening now.  So whatever spoilers are out there are just different sources best guesses. It's not someone leaking something that is fact (if that makes any sense).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »

eenie, meenie, minie, mo...

Ann Coulter meets King Kong?

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam,

LOL.

Now....who has an ant problem we can analyze?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »

I'm not sure how the actual rules read, but I suspect if you change one line then it's a "based on" situation - and, if the original author is dead and the copywrite expired it's open season.

Shaw got no Best Book nod for My Fair Lady!

der Brucer

He's forever enshrined in the poster art, though.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »

Oh and DR MattH, re: what i said about crying during the finale of GILMORE GIRLS.  It wasn't because it was the final show (although that was sad too).  It was because i found the material moving.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2007, 11:12:12 AM »

re: my asking if anyone knew of any idol spoiler sites.Yes, you are right!  But that is for things that have already happened/been taped.  IDOL is happening now.  So whatever spoilers are out there are just different sources best guesses. It's not someone leaking something that is fact (if that makes any sense).

I normally check out dialidol, vote4dol and zabasearch.  Then I visit links where various columnists go over the previous show and make their own predictions.

Here's one from Fox News.

One thing I've noticed today -- no one WANTS to go out on a limb and say anything for sure.  Also, many are thinking that Simon's comment at the end of the show about wanting his girl, Melinda, in the final -- and not choosing either of the other two over one another to advance -- might have had an impact on voting last night.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:18:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »

Oh and I am really really looking forward to tonight's LOST and the season finales of MEDIUM and AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL.

And I guess i am also looking forward to the idol results show. Although since i fear blake will go i am sort of not really looking forward to it that much.

Not sure what time i will watch what at. Here we get LOST and ANTM at 8pm (but i won't be home till after that). Idol is at 9pm and MEDIUM at 10pm.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »

"It's the Beginning of the End" could have been a lyric in "The Brain From Planet X".

What other sc-fi- movie title rhymes with "end"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2007, 11:15:44 AM »

I normally check out dialidol, vote4dol and zabasearch.  Then I visit links where various columnists go over the previous show and make their own predictions.

One thing I've noticed today -- no one WANTS to go out on a limb and say anything for sure.  Also, many are thinking that Simon's comment at the end of the show about wanting his girl, Melinda, in the final -- and not choosing either of the other two over one another to advance -- might have had an impact on voting last night.

I've never heard of vote4dol and zabasearch.

I think nobody is going out on a limb because it's too close to call. But i suspect that lakisha's votes would have gone to jordin and melinda. So that makes me worry about blake.

I agree with the fact that what simon said will impact the voting. I actually think that is what will save melinda. I would predicted that she would have been in danger. BUt people listen to simon. ANd if he said she is the best, then i think that will count. I predict she will be safe, mostly because of his comments.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2007, 11:17:22 AM »

During the years that I was doing a lot of plays each season, I tried never to get hooked on any new series or miniseries, because I always ended up missing a lot of the crucial episodes.            

However, a few seasons ago, I got hooked on the FOX Network series JOHN DOE starring Dominic Purcel (PRISON BREAK).   I loved that show (okay, I loved him).  The show supposedly took place in Seattle, but although they worked very hard on using correct street names and landmarks when talking about thecity; but  it was quite obvious that the show was filmed in Vancouver.  In the last scene of the last epsiode they ever showed, it was revealed that the man who was attempting to destroy all of John Doe's efforts to discover his past; was actually the man who claimed to be John Doe's only friend!

Damn them.  Damn them all to Hell.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up