Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTACK OF THE CLONES  (Read 37067 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:ATTACK OF THE CLONES
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2004, 04:55:01 PM »

What the heck is Canberra Day and how can you have so many holidays on the same day?

It's obviously the day when the entire family gets together for a big feast of turkey and canberra sauce.

Actually, I myself went on the Canberra (the ship, not the city) to Teneriffe and Dakar in 1973 to observe the longest total solar eclipse in 600 years.  That was the cruise on which the famous Isaac Asimov said to me--and this is a direct quote, biographers take note--"Your fly is open."
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2004, 05:13:16 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Chattanooga, TN!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CHOO-CHOO[/move]

Good flights!  Great weather!  It's warm!  In the low 70s!  *Of course, I brought a lot of layers, so... Guess I won't need to layer them that much.

I got to the hotel around 3:30, and then walked around the area for a while - my only chance to do so over the next few days.  Lots or remodeling, renovation and refurbishment going on here.  Even the Convention Center apparently just underwent a major, $50 million dollar upgrade - which includes a full-spectrum lighting system so that it's always "daylight" inside.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

As for the piano... we'll see if the "situation" gets remedied by the morning.  'Nuff said for now.

And now to catch up... we'll see what I remember...

DR Lulu - I was also a big fan of David Letterman's daytime show.  I LOVE Edie Mclurg.  Her characters always made me laugh, and her voice is so distinctive to say the least.  As for Late Night... I can't imagine all the "stuff" involved to get those to video/DVD.  -But it was nice when Bravo was re-broadcasting the "classic shows" for a while.

Flower Drum Song - It's not on DVD?  :(
The local independent channel in DC would show this every three months or so as part of their Sunday afternoon musical movies - or sometimes on Satuday nights too.  I remember spotting the "kid" from those Hawaiian episodes of "The Brady Bunch".  And the whole "I Enjoy Being A Girl" sequence cemented my love for musicals!  *And, as I think I've mentioned here before - and embarassed myself before - "I Enjoy Being A Girl" was one of the songs I sang for my first musical audition in high school.  I just really LOVE(d) the song!

As for HHW and/or AOL problems and glitches... It's Windows, it's computers, it's technology... Problems will arise.  Glitches will happen.

*BK - The one thing to watch out for with AOL's "Bring Your Own Access" plan is when you're on the road.  If you ever use dial-up, "technically" they're supposed to charge you the regular monthly rate for that billing period - since you're now using AOL's own access network (again).  I remember thinking of switching to the "BYOA" plan when my brother wired my parents' house for wireless internet.  "How cool!  I only have to pay $9.95 a month now!"  Well, not so fast...  Check your fine print... just in case.

As for the Glyndebourne Porgy & Bess... I love the audio recording!  However, the lip-synced video presentation drives me up the wall!  I've tried watching it a few time, but I've only made it through a few sections before switching to something else.

*When I worked on Carmen Jones at the Kennedy Center, Harolyn Blackwell was playing "Mickey".  At dinner after the final performance, I was able to talk with Ms. Blackwell for a few minutes.  I told her how I loved her rendition of "Summertime", and that it always amazed me at how slow she takes it.  I asked her if the tempo was her choice or the conductor's, Simon Rattle?  Her response, "Well, have you spent a summer in South Carolina?  It's HOT!  Trust me, you would move slow too!"   ;D

DR WFO - I'm so sorry you and Joe have to deal with all that sh*t.  I hope you can take comfort - in some indirect way - that many days have already passed, and that "soon" is getting "sooner" each day.

OK - I think that's all for now.  I must ready myself for a supposedly very nice reception they're holding for the Audition Staff in about an hour.  Should be fun!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2004, 05:26:01 PM »

I've got taters and beets roasting in the oven for dinner (to be paired with leftover turkey).  I'll be catching up with the rest of today in the meantime.

However, to Jose:  ALTON ALERT!!!!  9:00 on FoodTV, new episode: I PIE!

I've got a history with Lemon Merangue Pie.  It was one of my mother's best recipes, one that she didn't pass down to mysisterthebitch or myself.  It was a graham-cracker crust, with a really good lemon custard filling and a merangue topping.  She didn't try to make it look alike a Southern Belle's beehive hairdoo, but let it peak here and there and put it under the broiler to brown a bit.  That was one of her best recipes, along with her pumpkin pie, that for which her father in law (my grandfather) would accept no substitutes.  The lemon merangue pies were particularly special for him, since the lemons came from the trees in his own back yard.

Maybe I can learn from this show how to make my own lemon merangue pies.  Maybe I can surprise my Dad.

I'd really like that.  Everybody keep their fingers crossed!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2004, 05:26:18 PM »

Here I am, not posting. As I'm about to go out and buy bottled water for the wonderdog, I guess it's okay to pause and post. Why bottled water for the dog you might ask. Well, to put it bluntly, his stomach has not been right, since we moved to CA, if you know what I mean without my getting graphic about it. He only does his thing the usual twice a day, no problem there,  but it's kinda loose. I finally took him to the vet the other day and they found no problem. So my theory at the moment is that perhaps it's the water. I'm experimenting by giving him bottled water for a week or two to see if it makes a difference. (And I'm also adding rice to his dry kibble.) Any ideas from fellow dog people would be welcome.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2004, 05:33:56 PM »

Screw it all, newly Dietized der Brucer is insisting on watching and listneing to American Yodel, and I can't concentrate on reading today's posts until later.

Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2004, 05:52:10 PM »

Well, DR SWW.... The hotel cable TV system does not get Food TV :-(  But they do get Fox, so I'm watching "American Idol"... I'll just say that my jaw has dropped(!) at least three times already!  WOW!?!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2004, 05:59:59 PM »

WOWZA!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2004, 06:00:46 PM »

OK - Time for the par-tay!

Back after grazing on some ham and cheese chunks!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2004, 06:17:55 PM »

WFO to see an eclipse on a cruise, and the longest one yet, must have been a wonderful experience.  LOL at your brilliant conversation with Isaac Asimov.

SWW I have a meringue topping I like very much but have yet to find a lemon filling I think exceptional.  Please let me know if you succeed.  I expect the easiest part to duplicate will be the crust.   Shall we trade sister stories? ;)

Panni, make that water distilled water.  Rice water might help initially.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2004, 06:24:20 PM »

DR Panni,

Has Abie (the Wonderdog) changed his brand of dog food? Our vet cautioned that, if changing food, it has to be "transitioned" very gradually.

Good luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »

Joe & I want to thank DRs Panni & Jose & JRand & al & etc (who is this guy al?  He seems to have co-authored a lot of books.) for their vibes & wishes et cętera.  Joe's sentece is half over, and this sentence will be over when I type the period.  There.  How's that for xing a paragrab?  Oh, an Edgar Alan Poe reference!

DR MBarnum:  What part of Oregon do you inhabit?  Corvallis and Yachats (pr. ya-hots) used to be my old summer stomping grounds in the 70s, and believe me, the grounds around there got well stomped.  You can keep Ben, but hands off Gideon!  Even if he does have a white beard like mine nowadays and a grown daughter on teevee.

DR Robin:  I neglected to offer my sympathies on your concussion.  Joe had a rather nasty concussion in 1989, breaking one of those big glass water-cooler bottles with his head, and that started a chain of events that led to his current problems, i.e. EMS (Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome).

Didn't someone here ask recently about EMS?  It is not Emergency Medical Services, nor is it Electro-Magnetic Propagation.  It is a neuromuscular disease caused by ingestion of contaminated L-triptophan (an amino acid sold in health food stores).

I did see Joe, of course, did a bit of shopping, picked up my car after having the exhaust fixed, and picked up a new battery for his car.  But no time to destroy Western Civilization.  Sorry.  Perhaps another day.

I also stopped by to see Joe's Mom, which was pretty heartbreaking, since she is rapidly sinking into dementia.  I find conversation means less than touch.  Lots of hand-holding, hugging, and hair-stroking seems to bring a smile to her face.

So now that I have seen the season finale to Enterprise--another goldang cliff-hanger, wouldn't ya know--there is hay around here that definitely needs to be hit, BK, not to mention the sack.  Oh yes, the sack will be hit very, very shortly.

G'night, all of y'all, and thanks for making life fun.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2004, 07:25:04 PM »

DR Panni,

Has Abie (the Wonderdog) changed his brand of dog food? Our vet cautioned that, if changing food, it has to be "transitioned" very gradually.

Good luck.

I didn't think to ask that question since moves have caused problems for our dogs and it was always due to the water.

Jed

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2004, 07:28:39 PM »

Good day, all.  Not a whole heck of a lot to say, but want to at least make an appearance, so as not to be E&T.  As for DVD's I'm waiting to finally see released, Bells Are Ringing and Bugsy Malone are always the first that pop in my mind.  The latter is available in the UK, but not in Region 1 format yet.

"Skammen unska da hayska hitterska."
This made me think of Unamunda, the titular subject of David Ives' play-lette The Universal Language.  Any other Ives fans around here?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2004, 07:31:08 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Jane

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2004, 07:32:29 PM »

VIRUS ALERT:
We received an email, from the support group of our internet server, saying we have a virus.  Be careful if you receive something similar.  Fortunately we did not open this, thus avoiding a virus.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2004, 07:36:36 PM »

Jane and Dan-in-TO - No, same dog food. But I bought distilled water tonight. (And a bag of peanuts for me.) Both dog and I are ready to face a night of rewriting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2004, 07:41:14 PM »

THE BEST LEMON PIE I have ever had was made from the recipe that is on every can of Carnation condensed milk.  Yummy, tart, creamy and full of goodness.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2004, 07:41:35 PM »

Panni the distilled water and rice in the food should make a difference.  Good luck.

'night all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2004, 07:51:29 PM »

There is a LOT of virus crap going on right now, so definitely do NOT open any attachment unless the person sending it tells you it's all right.  Also, check the headers - that will usually tell you that the e-mail has not come from who it looks like it came from.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2004, 08:04:05 PM »

Jenny, save us.  Post until the fershluganah cows come home, becuz we haz been deserted.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2004, 08:16:50 PM »

DR WFO, you may have Gideon. If DR MBarnum is dead set on having Benjamin, I will claim Frankensence and be thrilled to death.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2004, 08:23:22 PM »

RE AMERICAN IDOL: Well, I was pleased with the #1 vote getter of last night, and looking at the contestants selected for the Wild Card round, I was pleased to see some of my previous favorites also included, so overall a pretty good night. Next week's round should be interesting since these 12 know it's their last chance to make the finals.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2004, 08:26:34 PM »

Well, we rocked the Kimmel center, but, not, apparently, the more familiar Kimmel, who's not answered my ask BK queries.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2004, 08:31:59 PM »

VIRUS ALERT:
We received an email, from the support group of our internet server, saying we have a virus.  Be careful if you receive something similar.  Fortunately we did not open this, thus avoiding a virus.

Wow!  We're not even on the same server and yet, I've been getting those messages all day today, too!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2004, 08:33:02 PM »

Jenny, save us.  Post until the fershluganah cows come home, becuz we haz been deserted.

I would love to post until even the poultry comes home, but alas, whenever I try to, an error message pops up saying that my computer doesn't have enough memory for me to post! :(  I'm giving it one more try, though.  Hopefully this one will go through!

A few days ago, somebody (I think it was you, BK) asked what happened to Maya.  She and I have done the ol' switcheroo, so to speak.  She's off achieving goddess status on Sondheim.com, and I'm here starting from scratch.  I think that I'm on official order from her to replace her, but I'm not sure.  Regardless, she's doing well (And will be staying with me for a few nights next week!) and is littering (Littering, I tell you!) the internet with kind words about HHW.

While I'm posting til the cows make their triumphant return, I'd like to ask if anybody has a production script of "Assassins".  I start rehearsals for the Oswald scene tomorrow (I'm directing), and the published copy of the script doesn't include Zangara's Italian monologue.  Does anybody have the text of that monologue?  Thanks in advance.

Have the cows come home yet?  If so, then I suggest we sing a rousing chorus of "Hello, Dolly" (with altered lyrics, of course) and call it a night.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2004, 08:34:31 PM »

Wow, it worked!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2004, 08:40:25 PM »

When Theatre Charlotte did ASSASSINS here, I auditioned for Guiteau, and when I didn't get it (very unfairly and foolishly as the cast actor turned out to be a weak singer and the cakewalk up to the gallows ended up being a nothing moment instead of a showstopper since he found it impossible to sing and move at the same time), I asked the director if I couldn't assist with the production, so I ran two slide projectors throughout the show. I had a script then, but the only one I have now is the published edition. Sorry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2004, 08:57:25 PM »

My goodness, people are not here in DROVES, I tell you.  DROVES.  Maya has been stolen, but I'm happy she is well, and happy she is spreading kind words about our little safe haven.  Tell her Kritzer Time awaits - she's read the first two books, she really should read the third.

Jenny

« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2004, 09:04:25 PM »

My goodness, people are not here in DROVES, I tell you.  DROVES.  Maya has been stolen, but I'm happy she is well, and happy she is spreading kind words about our little safe haven.  Tell her Kritzer Time awaits - she's read the first two books, she really should read the third.

I passed on your shameless plug. ;)  She wants to know if I think she should email you.  What do I think, BK?

Jenny

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2004, 09:07:01 PM »

I don't think that it's fair that I'm posting at midnight and yet my posts say that it's only nine.  It is not nine, it is midnight.  I want the credit that I deserve for posting til the cows come home at midnight on a school night!  

It looks as though Dear Former Reader Maya will be making a triumphant return.  I'm trying to pick up on HHW vocabulary here.  Would this be a...pointy hats and pantaloons occassion?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up