Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEARY BUTT CHEEKS  (Read 3054 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE WEARY BUTT CHEEKS
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »

Funny, but Richards says that Watts was from the Post. The Amazon quote, from the hardcover Cabaret, says he was from the Times.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:36 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »

DR Jane, my book group was an audio-only call, but some of the same people met a few nights later for a board meeting on UberConference.  On that some had both audio and video and others, like me, were audio only.

Tomorrow I’m meeting with another book group in Google Hangouts and I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thank you.  I am curious as I want to suggest this to our book group.  With my hearing it would probably be useless for me but others might enjoy it.

When is your Google Hangouts meeting?

Tomorrow at noon.  We're discussing Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar as part of Miami University's observation of Women's History Month.  I read it back in the '70s and have been re-reading it today.
How does it hold up? I was recently thinking of re-reading it.
― Voltaire

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »

This is Jill Haworth's obituary with Hal Prince thoughts on the Kerr review.

Jill Haworth, Original Sally in ‘Cabaret,’ Dies at 65
By Bruce Weber
Jan. 4, 2011

Jill Haworth, a British-born film ingénue in the 1960s who made her only Broadway appearance as the original Sally Bowles in “Cabaret,” died Monday at her home in Manhattan. She was 65.

The police confirmed her death, attributing it to natural causes.

A petite, strikingly pretty blonde (she wore a dark wig on Broadway), Ms. Haworth was just 14 when she was signed to appear, along with Paul Newman, Eva Marie Saint and Sal Mineo, as a displaced Jew in “Exodus” (1960), Otto Preminger’s grandiose adaptation of the Leon Uris novel about the birth of the state of Israel.

She made three films in France and then two others with Preminger, “The Cardinal” and “In Harm’s Way,” before auditioning for “Cabaret,” along with more than 200 other actresses, and winning the part of Sally, the lovably intemperate lass who sings for her supper at a decadent nightclub in Weimar-era Berlin.

Julie Harris had played Sally in the John Van Druten play “I Am a Camera,” on which the musical drew for its source material (along with the Christopher Isherwood book “The Berlin Stories,” on which the play was based). Liza Minnelli would make the role indelibly hers when she starred in the 1972 film, directed by Bob Fosse.

For Ms. Haworth, the role would be the high point of her career. Just 21 on opening night and with scant stage experience, she had never before sung a note professionally. The reviews were not overly kind, and one in particular was a damning declaration by Walter Kerr in The New York Times.

“ ‘Cabaret’ is a stunning musical with one wild wrong note,” Kerr began, later naming Ms. Haworth as the clunker and calling her “a damaging presence, worth no more to the show than her weight in mascara.”

Harold Prince, who directed the musical, recalled in an interview Tuesday that Ms. Haworth was remarkably steadfast and mature after the drubbing. She played the part for nearly two years and “never laid the weight of that on anyone,” he said. “We just loved her.”

“They underestimated her,” Mr. Prince said of the critics. “Sally Bowles was not supposed to be a professional singer. She wasn’t supposed to be so slick that you forgot she was an English girl somewhat off the rails in the Weimar era. When Jill came in and auditioned, she nailed it right away, walked that line. That’s what we wanted, and that’s what she delivered.”

Valerie Jill Haworth was born, according to many online sources, in Sussex, England, on Aug. 15, 1945. Her parents, who divorced when she was a girl, were well-to-do. Her father was a textiles magnate who also drove racing cars; her mother trained as a ballet dancer, as did Ms. Haworth.

“Society looked down on me for becoming an actress, but I don’t miss society, ” she told the gossip columnist Earl Wilson in 1965, adding that in America she acceded to a change in the pronunciation of her name. “I can’t get anyone here to pronounce it ‘Hahworth.’ Just as long as they don’t spell it H-a-y.”

Information about her family, including survivors, wasn’t immediately available.

Following “Cabaret,” she appeared in a handful of horror movies and in television series including “Mission: Impossible,” “Bonanza” and “Baretta.” But her career never regained the upward path on which it had begun.

“She was ‘let’s have a good time,’ ” Joel Grey, who starred as the master of ceremonies in the original “Cabaret,” said on Tuesday. “She had a wild abandon about herself and her life. I understood why Hal chose her. She was so Sally Bowles.”
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2020, 07:29:44 PM »

Funny, but Richards says that Watts was from the Post. The Amazon quote, from the hardcover Cabaret, says he was from the Times.

I'm pretty sure Douglas Watt was at the Daily News while Watts was at the Post.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2020, 07:32:56 PM »

Send ANY quotes my way.

From the back cover of the Broadway souvenir program (autographed by 4 of the 5 principals - no Jill Haworth):

"'Cabaret' is a scintillatingly unconventional musical."  Nadel, World Journal Tribune

"'Cabaret' is a fine musical with wit, spirit and intellingence."  Newman, NBC-TV

"'Cabaret is such a good, brassy, marvelously melodic smartly decorated fast-moving musical."  Harris, CBS-TV

"A colorful explosion of with and intelligence...a musical of unusual distinction."  Lewis, Cue

"'Cabaret' is. flashy, gay, tuneful, lively musical."  Jack Gaver, United Press International

"'Cabaret' is one of the most exciting, imaginative and effective musicals to come to Broadway this year or any other."  Cooke, The Wall Street Journal

"'Cabaret' is both brilliant and remarkable.  A bright, handsome and steadily entertaining show.  Wild, hysterical fun and sex.  It is the glory of 'Cabaret' that it can upset you while it gives theatrical satisfaction."  Watts, Post
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »

DR Jane, my book group was an audio-only call, but some of the same people met a few nights later for a board meeting on UberConference.  On that some had both audio and video and others, like me, were audio only.

Tomorrow I’m meeting with another book group in Google Hangouts and I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thank you.  I am curious as I want to suggest this to our book group.  With my hearing it would probably be useless for me but others might enjoy it.

Tomorrow at noon.  We're discussing Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar as part of Miami University's observation of Women's History Month.  I read it back in the '70s and have been re-reading it today.
How does it hold up? I was recently thinking of re-reading it.

It's a pretty easy read and moving quickly.  I just read in The Week that Tim Gunn from Project Runway considers it his go-to coming-of-age novel.  He says it's "simultaneously beautiful and tragic, uplifting and haunting...a spiritual catharsis."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »

Good evening.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »

One of the ladies from church who lives about a half mile away called and asked if I wanted some beets from her garden. So I walked over and brought home about a dozen beets with the greens still attached.

Laura

« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »

I cooked the beet roots in the air fryer and washed the greens. I made a salad for my daughter and included some of the beets. Tomorrow I will cook some of the greens.

John G.

« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:48 PM »

Starting to watch the various auditions for the unnamed main character in Rebecca. Anne Baxter is incredibly young and can seem shy, but she's also steelier than Joan Fontaine. Definitely not right for the part.   
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2020, 08:06:04 PM »

Thanks for the quotes, very helpful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2020, 08:07:48 PM »

Here's A Carol Christmas - this was taped during the second week before we'd put in a few changes on week three, including a long speech for Carol after the nightmare sequence, because I felt one line wasn't doing what it needed to do and we had to give her a way to get to that line.  Doug wrote a good speech, Hartley and I finessed it and in it went.  Anyway, you'll get the idea.  Would love to hear what you think.

https://youtu.be/2LRMqTFeZXs

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »

Now I'm up to 1499 words.  :)  We'll see how I feel tomorrow, but I'll turn it in tomorrow afternoon, a day early.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »

Hi there
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2020, 08:35:59 PM »

We’re watching Apollo 13 for maybe the 25th time

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2020, 08:37:41 PM »

It is so well done, even after seeing it so many times that we can practically recite all the lines, having lived through the actual event and knowing exactly how it ends, it is still nerve wracking

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »

Today was very busy at work, I guess with everybody home they had nothing to do but call

ChasSmith

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »

I didn’t get any watching done this evening. Back to it tomorrow. In fact, I think I can make tomorrow a SHIP OF FOOLS night.

And then back to some Robert Altman.

And yes, I’d be glad to have a go at A CAROL CHRISTMAS.

John G.

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »

I've watched the auditions for the main character in Rebecca. Fontaine was correct choice, but Margaret Sullivan also showed very well, in that Shop Around the Corner kind of desperation she did so well. I didn't care for Vivien Leigh, who was colorless in two separate auditions, one with Olivier. The worst, though was Loretta Young, who was too extroverted for the part. Instead of being shy or reticent, Young acts more like someone who's been caught at something and is conniving to find a way out. That was more Rebecca than wife No. 2.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »

Gratuitous Post #111! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:13 PM »

Watching a rather odd Sacha Guitry film called The Pearls in the Crown. There's a woman in not just blackface, but her whole body is covered and she's wearing little more than a couple of well-placed shells -- and a snake. If someone wants to kiss her, they also have to kiss the snake.

:))

Jane

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »

I look forward to hearing about it.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »

Starting to watch the various auditions for the unnamed main character in Rebecca. Anne Baxter is incredibly young and can seem shy, but she's also steelier than Joan Fontaine. Definitely not right for the part.   

Joan Fontaine was perfect.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:26 PM »

I've watched the auditions for the main character in Rebecca. Fontaine was correct choice, but Margaret Sullivan also showed very well, in that Shop Around the Corner kind of desperation she did so well. I didn't care for Vivien Leigh, who was colorless in two separate auditions, one with Olivier. The worst, though was Loretta Young, who was too extroverted for the part. Instead of being shy or reticent, Young acts more like someone who's been caught at something and is conniving to find a way out. That was more Rebecca than wife No. 2.

This is interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:31 PM »

What's interesting is page four. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2020, 11:27:50 PM »

Why has everyone abandoned us?  Is something going on?  We know you're all home and we've been having such lovely posting days which, believe it or not, are helpful - not for the site - but for everyone here.  Someone 'splain it to me, please, before I get unruly.

George

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been working on setting up and burning a Blu-ray of the musical, The SpongeBob Musical!: Live on Stage that was shown on Nickelodeon.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »

Well, we're finally close enough for the...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up