Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HI-YO SILVER!  (Read 19424 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:HI-YO SILVER!
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »

I also begin our gruelling three days (yes you read that right) of rehearsals for this crazy revue I'm not only music directing, but also writing and directing.  Oy.  One of my "problem children" let me know yesterday that dress rehearsal was suddenly a problem (though it's been scheduled for months) because he wants to get in a full eight hour work day.  Why did he accept the gig then?  Not a rhetorical question.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:28 AM »

Great news, Miss Karen! Congratulations!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

JMK, I think I would be tempted to tell him that you'll miss him and it's too bad he has to withdraw from the show because dress rehearsal is mandatory.

JMK

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »

JMK, I think I would be tempted to tell him that you'll miss him and it's too bad he has to withdraw from the show because dress rehearsal is mandatory.

Unfortunately the way I've been instructed to write this show means that all the characters interact with each other and that would leave a big gaping hole in the proceedings.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »

DR Miss Karen - you and my DH are at exactly the same stage of your Master's programs.  He's just waiting for his final grades and then we get to go to Wisconsin at the end of October for his graduation ceremony.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »

Soupy Sales told kids not to scratch when they had chicken pox or they'd end up looking like a golf ball.  When I finally came down with chicken pox (in 7th grade - how humiliating!), I still remembered his advice.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »

DerBrucer:  I remember how I felt when my parents wouldn’t let me see THE CHILDREN’S HOUR.  I feel for your grandlad.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »

DR Ginny, BEST WISHES, VIBES AND CONGRATULATIONS TO DH RICHARD!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »

Soupy Sales told kids not to scratch when they had chicken pox or they'd end up looking like a golf ball.  When I finally came down with chicken pox (in 7th grade - how humiliating!), I still remembered his advice.

If you think it's humiliating in the 7th grade, try coming down with it at thirty, when you're just about to begin shooting a TV pilot.

FJL

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »

POX OF LIES - my new comedy about someone trying to get out of something by feigning chicken pox  (alternate title:  SLY POX)

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »

BK - did you have to forego the TV pilot?

I have to tell you that I love TODs like today's, because they prompt me to go looking online for Detroit nostalgia.  Today I found:

Detroit Memories

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings, once again, from the Cove Cafe on Deck 9 of the Disney Wonder!

I spent a wonderful morning in/on Serenity Bay on/in Disney's Castaway Cay (their own private island).  A beach chair, a "floatie", sunscreen and an Absolut-Cranberry Juice.  Aaaahhhh... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2008, 12:25:16 PM »

And, yes, I've been having a wonderful time on board.  Very refreshing, relaxing and restful.  Just what I needed!

*And while I was on the beach this morning, I had a nice conversation with one of the "higher-ups" from Disney's Talent Casting division.  He made a few "suggestions" to me, which I may investigate further.  :)

**Yes, "suggestions" was a euphemism, but not that kind of euphemism.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2008, 12:26:13 PM »

And since I've caught up on the posts...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2008, 12:28:16 PM »

From DR Ron Pulliam:
Really?  I've never heard her sing.  I figured the voice was too good to actually be her!  But if you say so, I'm gonna have to go with it being her own.

I'm guessing Keaton's was her own, as well.  It "sounded" like her voice, only it was projected and on pitch.

Midler's voice seemed to come right out of her mouth, but Hawn's seemed somewhat detached. 

Well...  At least week's Larry Grossman revue/concert at The York, they featured this song:

The Other Woman

*And I actually remember watching that TV special when it was first broadcast!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »

From DR MattH:
Diane Keaton is/was a very good singer. She sings in ANNIE HALL and RADIO DAYS, very well in both. Of course, she did stage musicals (HAIR) early in her career, so I know she can sing.

Yes, I think it might have been wise to either rethink the cast of the MAMMA MIA men (none is exactly a box-office draw, so they could have used stage actors who could sing like Tom Wopat, Brent Barrett, Marc Kudisch), or hire dubbers if they were set of three men to be the actors who were cast.

Well... Even for the Broadway and touring versions of Mamma Mia!, the singing ability of the three possible fathers is usually taken into consideration after they have read for the part.  Consequently(?), what ends up happening is that you end up with three possible fathers with decent, pleasant voices, or a trio of amazing(!) singers.  It's all kept in balance with Donna and her Dynamos.  The women are the true stars of the show. :)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »

From DR elmore:
I like the NYMF folk, and the show is in dire need of an MD ASAP. I had recommended our DR JoseS, but I don't think he's interested.  The meeting went well, I think. I forgot, however, the package I had meant to post so I have a trip to the local post office in the next 30 minutes.

...And as the ship was leaving port on Thursday, I received a call from another show still looking for and MD.  -And I suspect another two or three calls in the coming week.  -In other words, the usual.  ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »

From bk:
I have never bought this one meal a day and your metabolism slows down because it things you're starving business.  I may eat one nice-sized meal a day, but I'm not starving, and I do have things like no-fat low-cal fruit popsicles later in the evening.  And it's not like I didn't do this exact same regimen two years ago and I know exactly what I lost per week during that diet period.  This is extremely frustrating.  I'm going to keep running because I feel better for having jogged, but I'm not sure I can keep up this staying away from certain foods that I like if I'm not going to see results - that's just too annoying.  This last two weeks has been a total waste for me, diet-wise.  No, I didn't gain, but losing at the rate of a pound and a half every two weeks means I'll be on this diet for over a year before I'm where I want to be - it's never ever taken me more than three to four months to lose exactly what I wanted to lose and that includes two years ago.

bk - How are your clothes fitting? If they are feeling looser, then trust that.  You are most likely putting on muscle weight due to all the jogging you have been doing - and the muscles in your legs are the "bulkiest" ones in your body.

*And the reason you could not be feeling hungry could be due to the fact that your body does feel like it is starving, so it is holding onto the stored calories longer for "survival".

**On the cruise right now, I've been eating three meals a day, plus two snacks each day, and I can tell I have not put on any weight.  -I'm also limiting myself to one dessert a day, and foregoing the bread with my meals.  In fact, that's what I've been doing for the past four weeks, and I've dropped seven pounds.

***What time of day are you weighing yourself?  The "experts" say to weigh yourself in the evening for a truer gauge of your weight.  However, since you're usually your lightest in the morning, go right to the scale as soon as you get out of bed, and check it then.

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

BK - did you have to forego the TV pilot?

The producers were really great and pushed all my scenes to the last four days.  I was better by then, but I'd had a really horrible case (what happens when you're thirty) and the scabs were horrendous.  They brought me in and one of the Westmores tried his hardest to cover them with makeup, but it just didn't work.  So, reluctantly they had to replace me with a guy named Dick Blasucci (who later became an Emmy-winning writer) - he was too manic in the role and had 0 chemistry with the lead (Michael Burns) and the pilot went nowhere.  They did pay me, which was really gracious of them.  And for years thereafter whenever it was shown on TV (it was a pilot in the guise of a TV movie) I was listed as the second lead.  I truly believe it would have sold had I been in it, because Burns and I had already worked together twice and we had great chemistry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2008, 12:31:46 PM »

David Gerber was the producer, and the director was the lovely Hy Averback.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »

:) DR Oz Derek :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:32:57 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

I was very depressed for a couple of weeks, but then landed a national commercial for a bank (with Ken Olfson as the other actor) - that ran for quite a while, so it made me feel better.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2008, 12:34:01 PM »

-And count me in as another fan of Barenaked Ladies.  Truly one of the best concerts I've ever been to - truly entertaining.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »

And I believe I'm about to run out of minutes on my "internet card", so...

We arrive back in port tomorrow morning, and I shall be back in NYC sometime tomorrow afternoon.  Until then...

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe and stress-free weekend.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »

I also got chicken pox as an adult, though I think I was about 20.  My girlfriend at the time worked at a child care agency and was immune but "carried" it home to little ol' moi.  It was horrible.  I still have some scars up by my hairline.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

OH!

Jackpot Bingo in an hour!!!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »

Unfortunately the way I've been instructed to write this show means that all the characters interact with each other and that would leave a big gaping hole in the proceedings.

Oh. I guess I was thinking it was like a concert or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »

Back from another little errand.  I may go over to Amoeba at some point with some trade stuff, and try to get Confessions of a Dangerous Mind on DVD.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »

David Gerber was the producer, and the director was the lovely Hy Averback.

Mr. Averback was once a publicity client of mine.  He was directing a Peter Sellers movie at the time, I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS, which was a big hit.

Unfortunately, he followed it with a real turkey, THE GREAT BANK ROBBERY.  The only good thing that I remember about that one is that it gave me the opportunity to meet Zero Mostel.

Hy was a nice man.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »

It got hot here very quickly! It's MISERABLY hot and humid right now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up