Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS  (Read 26309 times)

MBarnum

Re:TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2007, 08:43:49 AM »

Oh, and speaking of DVDs...if anyone is interested the highly HHW recommended gay story-lined Bollywood film MY BROTHER...NIKHIL is currently on sale at INDIAWEEKLY.COM for only $1.99 !!!!! Quite a bargain if you ask me!!!

singdaw

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2007, 08:45:10 AM »

such decorum you are showing!

I have learned from DRs FJL and elmore3003 to be a model of decorum and deportment.   :)

I may be deported, but that's another matter...

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2007, 08:46:37 AM »

Good Morning lovelies and studlies......... Even though yesterday was supposed to be an "official holiday" for everyone, I had a 3 hour work appointment, right in the middle of the day.  Ah, the joys of being self-employed, and not in a position to turn work down!  :(

Dear Elmo..... I too send you  ~~~no-jury-vibes~~~  and hope you get dismissed quickly.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2007, 08:47:05 AM »

TOD:

From the Fox vaults --

The Egyptian
With A Song in My Heart
April Love
Hangover Square
In Love and War
Woman's World
Boy on a Dolphin
The Mudlark
Bird of Paradise

From MGM vaults:

The Opposite Sex
The Swan
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Raintree County
The Brothers Karamazov
The Journey
The Wreck of the Mary Deare
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (out of curiousity as to how bad it truly could be)

From the Warner Brothers vaults:

Inside Daisy Clover
Dead Ringer
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »

Wow, thanks for that info Edisaurus...it just so happens I made up a hanging basket of lemon petunias and both purple and lavendar putunias this weekend.

Really? Me, too! I bought lemon zest petunias and mixed with chartreuse potato vine...really eye catching. Then there's a color jump to a nearby area where I used yellow-heart ivy in a pot---really perks things up!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »

DR Edisaurus, I very much regret that I forgot to program my machine to tape your gardening special on HGTV yesterday morning while I was in New Jersey.  When I get my new DVR hooked up, such mishaps will be a thing of the past, I hope!

MusicGuy

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »

Oh, and speaking of DVDs...if anyone is interested the highly HHW recommended gay story-lined Bollywood film MY BROTHER...NIKHIL is currently on sale at INDIAWEEKLY.COM for only $1.99 !!!!! Quite a bargain if you ask me!!!

Dear Mikey-Hunky .... I want you to know that I believe everything you tell me!  And so I have just ordered your highly-touted DVD that you described.  And there better be some skin Baby..... some skin !

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2007, 08:54:12 AM »

As Jose mentions, On the Lot did indeed show the "whittling" down to 18 finalists last week (on Thursday, IIRC).  I posted on Friday about it.  What I am finding strange is this weird scheduling.  I'm wondering now if they will settle down to Mondays and Tuesdays.  Also, what happened to the blonde woman host from the first episode.  The babe last night was fine, but I kept thinking she was Eva Longoria (not that I'm complaining, LOL).  I am currently favoring Zach, and I disagree with Garry Marshall--I don't think he should change his last name.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2007, 08:54:40 AM »

Hee, hee...things are very perky around the homes of Edisaurus and myself.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »

TOD:  need I say that we need more Frances Farmer films on DVD?  With commentary tracks by certain obsessed people, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say n'more?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MusicGuy

« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2007, 08:55:34 AM »

G'morning dear Laura........... I can't wait to see some more of your picture output with your new camera.  The couple of "teaser" pictures that you posted yesterday were stunning, as far as much better clarity, resolution, color, etc.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »

You will not be disappointed DR Musicguy...you will love this movie!

Did you also peruse the .39 cent DVD sale at the same time? Bargains galore!

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2007, 08:59:25 AM »

While Frances Farmer sits in the vaults Miss Allison Hayes springs forth...not only with the release of ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN this summer, but also in the upcoming Elvis film TICKLE ME and...I hope you are sitting down JRand56...THE ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU just in time for Halloween as per the notice, which was posted on a dvd website...

.......At the CinEvent Film Conference in Columbus I ran into reps from studios that are releasing some classics for the Halloween season this year (Thank you Michael, Jessica and friends). Three classic horror box sets are coming to DVD this fall. One from Columbia and one from Fox. The Columbia set will include THE WEREWOLF (1956 with Steven Rich), CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN (1955 with Richard Denning), ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU (1957), THE GIANT CLAW (1957) and one other title to yet announced. The suggested retail price will be around 24.95. They will not be released separtately. The Fox set will include CHANDU THE MAGICIAN (1932 with Bela Lugosi as Roxor), THE UNDYING MONSTER (1942, Fox's answer to THE WOLF MAN), THE LODGER (1944 with Laird Cregar), HANGOVER SQAURE (1945, also with Cregar) and MAN HUNT (1941 with Walter Pidgeon, Joan Bennett, George Sanders, John Carradine and Roddy McDowell). Finally Kino will be packaging some of their horrors in a new box set (all previously released on single discs).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:01:01 AM by MBarnum »

MusicGuy

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »

Dear Edi ... I REALLY love your new "publicity picture" that you are using now...... very nice !!

And yes, I'm old fashioned. "avatar" is way too "cell phone-ipod" for me.  BK and I were having a chuckle a while back remembering the wonderful work of "Bruno of Hollywood."  Now HE was a glamour photographer who could make both men and women look great!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:17:04 AM by MusicGuy »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2007, 09:04:28 AM »

I like the new camera.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2007, 09:04:34 AM »

I spent the weekend in bliss catching up on DVDs that had been piling up unwatched.

One very great surprise was "Apocalypto" which is a fascinating, fast-paced and beautiful film.  Yes, it has quite a bit of violent behavior and a little gore.  It's upsetting.  But the payoff is superb.

Another surprise was "Daddy Long Legs."  Yes, I'd read BK's rave about the transfer.  I've seen this film several times in various "video" incarnations.  None of them ever gave me a sense that this film had any cohesion, which I found surprising.  I now realize that I'd never seen the whole film.  And WHAT A FILM TREAT it is!  This is a gorgeous DVD.  The colors are often phenomenal (the final ballet sequence is one of the most glorious things ever committed to film).  I found it touching and tuneful and a ton of fun.  I had no problem with the May-December nature of Caron and Astaire, having long ago bought into the similar situation of Hepburn-Astaire in "Funny Face" (although I still have difficulty with the Hepburn-Cooper relationship in "Love in the Afternoon"...Coop is just TOO long in the tooth).

I figuratively "devoured" the Miss Marple boxed set of four Margaret Rutherford films.  What a treat!  Indescibable joy in a four-pack.

I had a nice reunion with "That Touch of Mink", but the DVD from Artisan was a big disappointment.  Throughout the film there were focus problems, and not a few scenes were color-unsaturated with foreground too light and the background a deep blue.  I can liken the focus issues with the color issues in "Can-Can"....just as the color in the latter fluctuates in brief snippets throughout that film, the focus in the former goes askew in brief snippets throught the Day-Grant film.

"Can-Can" was also on the agenda.  This is another film that was always severely hampered with TV viewings.  This film should be seen in one way only, and that is the full widescreen spectrum of its Todd-AO presentation.  The sound was really good and the film was much-improved for me despite the color fluxes.  It's still not ideally cast.  Sinatra is mis-cast.  Jourdan should have been in his role. Jacques Bergerac should have had Jourdan's role.  And....oh, I don't know...anybody ELSE should have played the Shirley MacLaine role.

Still....a FUN film.

Last night, I settled in with "Brigadoon" which I have not watched in a few years....and needless to say, I've not seen it on my HDTV.  

This film remains a major pleasure.  The sound is awesome and the studio sets IMPROVE a great deal when watching it on a larger screen in the proper ratio.

I also put "Bells Are Ringing" on my DVD just to watch "Just in Time" and found myself watching other scenes, as well.  It's a glorious transfer and, again, it's like seeing a new film when it's seen on a larger screen in the proper ratio.

Let's see, I know I'm forgetting some things.  

Oh, yes....Friday, I watched "Paint Your Wagon"....lovely film, beautiful DVD transfer.  Stunning Jean Seberg.  Love that Andre Previn adaptation.

Later that same day, I revisited (it had been a couple of years since my last viewing) "Victor, Victoria" which is totally splendiferous on DVD and on the larger HDTV screen.  What a joy this film remains!!!  I find myself becoming immersed in the details I'd never noticed before on the smaller 17-inch screen I'd been using the past 14 years!

That's all I can remember of my Memorial Day Movie Marathon.  But I'm certain I'm still leaving something out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:10:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2007, 09:14:17 AM »

I am stunned at the news DR MBARNUM and so this must be the DVD year of Allison!!

DR RLP had some great choices in his wish list.  WOMAN'S WORLD, THE EGYPTIAN, BIRD OF PARADISE, and APRIL LOVE would be wonderful to have on DVD!!

And yes...DR MG - you will be pleased with MY BROTHER NIKHIL....though you should watch it while holding a crying towel.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MusicGuy

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »

I know that dear Elmo is off having to deal with Hamilton Burger and Della Street.........

BUT ---- just where is that pesky pixie dear Jose this morning??  If this behavior continues, he will have to be dealt with most severely !!

MusicGuy

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »

And for now, I have to do a little "real work" at the old laptop, and make out some billing invoices.

See you  later(s)  :)

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »

And so I have just ordered your highly-touted DVD that you described.

Me, too!  My first plunge into Bollywood...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2007, 09:25:25 AM »

Me, too!  My first plunge into Bollywood...

Another satisfied customer.  ;D

singdaw

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »

Another satisfied customer.

I thought for sure that you or DR MBarnum would post: "Come on in, the water's fine!"  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2007, 09:51:40 AM »

I thought for sure that you or DR MBarnum would post: "Come on in, the water's fine!"  :)

Well that, too.  ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »

I hear the sea snakes in the Indian Ocean are quite poisonous.  Do be careful out there....in the water.

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »

the sea snakes

Is that a euphemism?     ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »

Oh, yes.  "The Americanization of Emily" and "Donkey Skin [Peau d'Ane]" were the other films I watched on Friday (and posted about Friday evening).

Those b/w MGM films of the 1960s look absolutely wonderful on my HDTV.  

It just occurs to me that I haven't yet watched "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" since the TV upgrade!   Or "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte".

singdaw

« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2007, 10:10:04 AM »

It appears that HDTV makes everything old NEW again.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2007, 10:10:14 AM »

Is that a euphemism?     ;)

Here....have a peek!

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »

Which is a good thing.   :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »

It appears that HDTV makes everything old NEW again.

Yes, that and a good cosmetic surgeon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up