Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE WORK MODE  (Read 43742 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BACK IN THE WORK MODE
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were back in the work mode, and now it is time for you to post until the working cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:22:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BACK IN THE WORK MODE
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:20:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROROGUE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »

Hadn't checked the calendar - and have added birthday wishes to the notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:32 AM »

Hopefully, the birthday boy hadn't gotten to the second page of the notes before I added the wishes - otherwise, he can go back and see them now.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:28:03 AM »

HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY DR RON
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:29:16 AM »

He left - maybe he didn't see the revised second page.  Maybe he was irked.  Who knows?

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »

There has nearly always been a pet dog or two as members of our household.  The first dog I remember was named "Bluey". (Usually that denotes someone with red hair in this land of OZ).  Bluey was not a redhead.  I could not say "Bluey" and called him "Bluedly".

It's also a good time for me get on my hobby horse (which is not a pet) and sound off against CAGED birds etc.  It doesn't matter how much they are loved by their owners!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Ron Pulliam!!

;D

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:38:30 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

My first dog was in the family already when I was born. He was a black cocker spaniel and his name was Pepper. He died tragically under the wheels of a garbage truck when we lived in the Griffin Creek area of Medford.

When it happened my brother whisked me off to get an ice cream cone in town so that I wouldn't know what had occurred. I was around 5 or 7 years old, I think.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »

Sir Magnus Pimm
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:42:36 AM »

My next pet was a tiny white kitten that I named Salty (we still had Pepper at this time).

Salty did not live long enough to seee adulthood, due to the fact that my teenage sister ran him over with her VW Bug. I found Salty all bloody, but still alive. My brothers then made him not alive any more.

I was about 4 or 5 years old.

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »

Next up was Heidi, a German Shephard/collie mix. She was a wonderful dog and lived a long, full life. My oldest brother Jack, just returned from Vietnam, got her and then gave her to us when he moved to Portland. This must have been around 1972 or '73.

Heidi died of a heart attack sometime in the early 1980s.

MBarnum

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »

At the same time we had Heidi, and were living in Griffin Creek (we lived on the side of a mountain and so we had lots of room) we also had Bouregard - a black lab and Red - golden retriever mix, I think. They actually belonged to some of my siblings, but the dogs for some period of time lived with us throughout the 1970s.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »

Around 1975 we got a black cat named Chuck. After we moved to Central Point a few months later, he ran away or something.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:49:22 AM »

In the 32 years I have been with my DP Colin we have had:
Bugsy Malone
Tallulah
Roxie
Boofa
Fosca
Magnus

(All were Keeshonden)
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »

I "Dog sat" for a while before this - another pair of Keeshonds - Venjee & Brit.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:52 AM »

I didn't have another pet until 1983 when I first moved out of the house and into an apartment in Ashland. One day in walked a black and white kitten, just out of nowhere. I named him Boo Boo and kept him when I moved to Salem 6 months later.

I eventually moved to an apartment that did not allow pets and I gave Boo Boo to an ex-boyfriend where he lived a happy life for several more years.

George

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:52:50 AM »

One of the earliest pets that I can remember having was a turtle named Herman.  We had him when we lived in Germany (when I was four to seven years old), and we left him there when we moved back to the states...I don't remember if we left him with someone, or just left him. :-\

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:54:49 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:42 AM »

No more pets for me until about 1994 when I found Buford the tabby cat at the Humane Society. I lost him in December of 2001, he was around 13 years old

In mid-2002 I got my beloved Freddy, also at the Humane Society.

Then a few years later along came Dog Bosco, also from the Humane Society.

And that brings me up to date.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 12:56:26 AM »

A big ole happy birthday wish to DR Ron Pulliam! Have a wonderful, wonderful day!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:56:53 AM by MBarnum »

George

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:14 AM »

During the time we lived in Germany and Colorado (up until I was 10 years old), we had four female cats in a row (none at the same time) named Frisky.  We also had male cats named Tiger and Spot (Spot was the best...he was white with black spots and three of them on his back looked like hearts).  And the last cat my parents had was a female cat named Happy (my niece named her when my niece was four years old).  Happy had a litter of kittens and my sister's (then) parents-in-law took two and named one Gigi (a female) and the other one Ginger...they didn't know that she was a "he" until quite a while later.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:14:03 AM by George »

George

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »

Before I was born, my parents had a poodle that was supposed to be my sister's dog but I don't think that they had him/her for very long.  They do have a picture of my sister at about one year old with the dog.  

George

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »

The only other time time that we had a dog was when I was in middle school (I think...Spot hadn't died yet, so it was within a couple of years of moving to Washington from Colorado) and they got me a small black lab (I think).  I named him Muppet, but he chewed on everything, including my parents' grandfather clock and none of us knew anything about training dogs, so we had to give him away.  This was a good thing.  The people who took him loved dogs and he was very happy with them. :)

George

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »

I got my current cat from my former roommate whose (now ex-)wife was allergic to cats.  When they got married and he moved out, I kept the cat.  When they divorced, he didn't take back the cat (not quite a Guys and Dolls reference ;))  Ebonie has been my cat now for almost three years. :)

George

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 01:16:36 AM »

And on that note (c-natural), I'm off to bed.

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 01:45:35 AM »

Edna always sends the best cards!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:40 AM »

There is no proroguing the inevitable:

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY,[/size][/color]
DR RON PULLIAM!!!!![/size][/color]

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 03:51:04 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, DR Ron Pulliam! May it be filled with much cake and ice cream!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 04:02:42 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Ron Pulliam.

For what it's worth, there are DRs here who are older than you.

I am not one of them.   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 04:07:12 AM »

As in the classic story, The Randy Vicar and the Teasing Milkmaid's PROROGUE.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up