Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE WORK MODE  (Read 43736 times)

Ginny

Re:BACK IN THE WORK MODE
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 04:10:57 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Because yesterday should have been my day off and was a holiday, I get today off, too.  Richard and I are going to Columbus for a VIA (very important appointment) about which I cannot yet comment in a public forum  :-X
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:26 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Ron Pulliam!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 04:18:02 AM »

I realize that it's too late, but there is a JD that we missed yesterday:

John Dortmunder, semi-iconic creation of Donald Westlake in a series of comic heist novels, portrayed best on-screen by Robert Redford in The Hot Rock and far less memorably by George C. Scott in Bank Shot (but, as with every portrayal of Dortmunder on film other than Redford's, Scott's rendition was given another name for the film).

Too bad they never got Lee Marvin to play Dortmunder - it turns out that Dortmunder was Westlake's own comic turn on another of his characters, Parker, portrayed by Marvin in the film Point Blank (but, in that film, Parker was called Walker - there's a long history of names being changed to protect the guilty in Westlake-based movies).  In any case, Marvin would have been perfect for Dortmunder.  *sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:06 AM »

TOD:

Peter Palmeri (#1)
Newton Kelsey (#2)
Jocko & Geordie McFrickenfrack (#s 3 & 4)
Walter Elias Warner (#5)
Martin Nuyear (#6)
Michael Augustus Snipps (a.k.a. Mikey) (#7)
Bonnie Belle Begonia
and her brother
Buster Beauregard Begoinia (#s 8 & 9)
and
Jeremy Be-Bop Fletcher (#10)

and the foster-children:

Zeus (#11)
Peggy Cassandra Gooch (#12)
and her pups
Bruno
Baxter
and Benedick Shakespaw (#s 13, 14, & 15)
Angelina Bobina (#16)
Josie/Jose, the Pussycat (#17)
and Wiggles (# 18)

and that doesn't even begin to count the dogs and other creatures der B has had in his life, or the daschund I grew up with...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 04:45:31 AM »

One cake I am glad that I never received...

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:14 AM »

TOD:

growing up: Figaro, a cat [I was in my Pinnochio phase]
later:  Charcoal, a black cat, and Smokey, a grey cat
later still:  Felix, a tabby, and Philomena, a tortoise-shell kitty
concurrently: Yeager, a Guiding Eyes yellow lab, who got "placed" after 18 months
lately:  Zach, a dog, and Truffle, a guinea pig

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 04:51:13 AM »

Ah, yes, Shortz.  The miniature black and tan daschund.  So named by my sister because most everyone in the family was tall.

There has always been a condescending streak in my sister's personality.

Mom originally hadn't wanted us to have a dog, or any kind of pet (other than the occasional parakeet or a tank of fish).  She had been bitten by a German Shepard when she was very young, and just didn't like dogs.  But Dad convinced her that a small dog would be good for the family, so we went to a reputable breeder and there he was, even as a pup filled with that typical daschund spunk.

Although Shortz was supposed to be the family dog, my sister pretty much claimed him as hers for the longest time.  Then she abandoned him for college, and he transferred his loyalty to me.  I, at least, had the decency to give him the option of a more dignified name, such as Herman or Henrick, which he seemed to appreciate.  After I moved out, he again transferred his loyalty, this time to Mom, although he loved my returns for visits whenever I could.

He was a smart fellow.  We originally closed him in the kitchen when we all had to leave the house, but he figured out how to open the door, so we ended up giving him free reign through the household.  He also enjoyed the back yard, his kingdom, and learned to stay there even though we didn't have a gate to keep him in - Mom had long before knocked down one of the gateposts while backing out the too-narrow driveway in the family station wagon.  Every day, when I returned from school, he would be waiting for me at the line we had trained him to stay behind, and would only come charging merrily up when I called to him.

He lived to the ripe old age of seventeen, or was it eightteen.  Mom decided he couldn't be replaced, she had loved him too much during those later years.  But then, Shortz was the only dog she had ever cared about, her only animal companion.  We were lucky to have had him.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 04:52:42 AM »

One cake I am glad that I never received...
'Tis better to give than to receive, anyways... uh, wait a sec, that doesn't sound right either.

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 04:56:45 AM »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 04:56:48 AM »

Somewhere in the archives, way long ago (well, five years or so), there's the story of how Bonnie and Buster came into our lives, a tale I told here in something resembling real time.

I just don't feel like digging it up and reprinting it right now.  Go ahead and so a search, if you want.  Only, in the storytelling, Buster was originally named Clyde, so you might want to use that as a search key-word.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 05:03:02 AM »

Good morning, all!  I watched THE CLOSER, and, after deciding I couldn't take Mr Goselaar seriously in that ridiculous haircut on RAISING THE BAR, went to bed. Around 5 am I awoke and was wide awake for about 30 minutes as I tried to get back to sleep,  and I must have done so since I was awakened by the alarm at 6:30.  The laundry is in, I'm fed and medicated, and I have to sketch in the accompaniments to the choral arrangements I finshed yesterday. I have a few telephonic calls between 9 and 10 am, and then I see my doctor around 2:15.

My beloved brother Randy called me yesterday to give me hell for not calling him between Thursday's ER and yesterday, and I told him I hadn't wanted to interrupt his camping vacation: what could he do from Ohio? And he told me that since he was a diabetic(!!!), which I did not know, he might have at least advised me on things or sent me a glucose meter.  We also discussed other things among his bitching at me.

TOD:  to be continued.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 05:05:07 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Birthday Felicitations to DR Ron Pulliam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 05:16:06 AM »

***VIBES FOR A PRODUCTIVE MEDICAL APPOINTMENT***[/size][/color]
for DR elmore3003!!![/size][/color]

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 05:33:01 AM »

DR Elmore - I hope things go well at your doctor's appointment today!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 05:37:41 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2008, 05:39:45 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to ACTUAL DR RON!!

May you have a lovely day!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2008, 05:41:42 AM »

I am off to the dentist in a few minutes, about which I feel very nervous.

JRAND may disagree, but I'd swear there's some sort of nonsense going on with those planets. All these medical problems with our DRs just isn't right!!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 05:42:42 AM »

Now I will attempt to ketsup for a few minutes.

singdaw

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2008, 05:45:32 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to ACTUAL DR RON!!

As opposed to that imposter?    ;)

Ben

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »

Happy Birthday to Ron!

singdaw

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2008, 05:46:17 AM »

***DENTAL VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR Jeanne today![/size][/color]

Ben

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2008, 05:47:15 AM »

And Now I Must Run to Work.

I'll tell you all more about the wonderful time I had in Fort Atkinson later.

There won't be any pictures for a long time because Anthony has the camera and he took the pictures and he probably won't get around to getting them out of the camera for a while (unless he goes to Wal-Mart with his memory card).

That's all for now.

singdaw

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

DR Ben - glad that you are back safe & sound, and that you had a great time!  :)

Ben

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 05:54:56 AM »

Hey SingMan,

Remember the Fantasticks comment I made last week. Anthony would very much like to have a copy if that is possible, even with the bad sound.

And now I'm back to work.

singdaw

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 05:55:01 AM »

Well, I see that Part II of "The Battery's Down" got posted...but I'm at work and can't view it.  Someone please let us know if DR JoseSPiano ended up on screen this time!

singdaw

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 05:55:32 AM »

You got it, DR Ben!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 06:08:31 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR RP.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 06:10:57 AM »

P.S. to yesterday's list, I finally thought of her:

Jacqueline DeWit - who played the nosy neighborhood gossip in MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION and many other films/tv shows of the 50's.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 06:11:11 AM »

I shall check out that program DR MBARNUM, thanks.

FJL

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:45 AM »

Very happiest of birthdays to dear Dear Reader Ron P!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up