Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE WORK MODE  (Read 43739 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:BACK IN THE WORK MODE
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

I see the show is not on the current list of TDF performances. Of course, with these blurry eyes, I wouldn't be able to see a damned thing.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2008, 09:16:05 AM »

DR Miss Karen: We are fine. DR Kerry lost power for a while and DR MusicGuy lost power for a couple of days. A few blocks away from all of us, huge trees were uprooted.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:32 AM »

DR MBarnum - I'm glad that your current "streak" of pets is not a continuation of your childhood experiences.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »

Enjoying all the pet stories.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »

Happy Birthday DR RLP!!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2008, 09:24:03 AM »

We got a puppy when the kids were small. He died of distemper three days later. I swore I'd only get adult dogs after that. The adult dogs were PJ (sheltie mix), Misty (lab mix) and Roxie (shepherd/akita/mutt mix).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »

I've only had two pets (although I think my mother allowed us to have a parakeet that I won at at grammar school carnival for about one day) - a dog I found abandoned in a record store in 1978 - we named her Sandy - we eventually gave her away when the deevorce happened), and the unlucky Lucky several years ago - Actually about six years ago now.  Lucky was very odd and I shouldn't have taken her - her owners who needed to get rid of her didn't tell me anything of her history and later confirmed she had problems, which was so nice of them three months after the fact.  She'd obviously been abused by someone.  It took me four hours of literally sitting a few feet away from her to get her to stop growling.  I then figured out the trick - which was to take her leash, put it on the counter and say "walk?"  From that point on she was fine and didn't growl, although she did growl really loudly whenever a child was near - that was bad, and I suspect maybe it was kids who abused her.  She was very sweet with me most of the time.  But, if she perceived that you were looking at her in some sort of way, she'd pee - right then and there, wherever she was, which was frequently in the house.  You couldn't predict it, either.  For example, for weeks we did the leash and her walk thing - it was her favorite.  She'd jump up, put her feet on the counter and not move till I put the leash on her.  Then we'd have a nice walk.  One day, I did the routine, she looked at the counter and the leash and peed.  Another example: She loved the car and going for drives.  She'd jump right in the back seat, and when we were done she'd jump right out.  Until one day when we were done she wouldn't get out and peed instead.  After three months, I'd had it and so had my carpet, wood floors and everything else.  All the growling at strangers was not good.  I called the people from whom I'd gotten her - they wouldn't take her back, but did admit they'd had those same problems.  I called several shelters, all of whom refused to take her because I had to be honest about the problems.  I always thought animal shelters took any sort of dog.  I finally had to make the difficult decision to take her to the pound, which I did.  

Kerry

« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »

Good Morning, All!

A very happy birthday to Ron Pulliam!
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »

And those are my two pet stories.  I do love dogs, am allergic to cats and therefore find no appeal in them.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR RON!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »

I remember Lucky.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »

Right now, we have a cat and 2 dogs (border collie & Norfork terrier).  

Unfortunately, we had to put my other cat (of 14 years) to sleep 2-3 months ago.  I'm still not over that one.

:'(

Photos please!

2-3 months isn't very long & as you said, you never really get over it.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »

I remember Lucky, & I all this time I had managed to avoid the end of the story.

singdaw

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »

I remember Lucky.

And I remember Mama!    ;)

singdaw

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2008, 09:43:31 AM »

Here I thought this TOD would be warm and fuzzy and lovely, but instead it's making me a bit sad...  :(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »

DR vixmom - Here are two options for your new avatar.

Option 1:
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »

And Option 2:
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »

And here's one for DR Ben too...

Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »

BIG BROTHER LIVE FEED SPOILERS

don't read if you don't want to know what is happening real time

fjadl fjadfupdsauf opdsaufopdufoklfjlafjdoisaufoipdsauf odjl;jjl;jl; j
jdfjdafudofpaudopsauf odsaufoipdufopdsaufopdusaofpuaofuouop j
DR RonP, i was also sad to see jerry win hoh this week. But i think it went relatively well considering. It would have been much worse to me if he had won veto. I was very happy that memphis conned him into not nominating dan/memp. And i am dying to find out if jerry went ballistic when he found out memphis betrayed him and took down dan. So gullible!  I am happier that renny will go than keesha. I liked the 4 (dan/renny/keesha/memphis). But my favs in order are dan, then keesha then renny then memphis. Although for some reason my gut really wanted the dan/memphis plan this week to work. But i would like dan/keesha in the finals. Jerry cannot compete in hoh next week(yeah). But i guess we just have to hope he does not win pov. That would suck. I would like dan or keesha win hoh. I cannot believe how close dan was to winning hoh this week!
djafkldjsa foupdaf duafoduafouafouaf uodauf oau fouafofpuop
jfkldjfdafuopdsauf odsaufodaufodauf kljdflajflaklkljlkj klkljkljlkl l

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »

TOD:

Dinky-Boo -- an Eskimo Spitz my dad thought would be a great pet for me at age 2 or 3.  As it turns out, Dinky-Boo (his name was "Dinky", but I used to walk up and try to scare him by saying "Dinky!  BOO!" and it stuck) wasn't too fond of other people, but he was devoted to me.  My mom was afraid he'd attack/bite other kids (and there were a lot of 'em in our neighborhood) so my father gave him away circa 1952.  

Toby -- a blond Cocker Spaniel.  Santa Claus brought him when I was four or five, I think (circa 1952/53).  He was just a puppy.  I had Toby about 11 years or so.  He was always an outdoors pet, and I think that has a lot to do with longevity.  Poor thing was deaf and nearly blind when my father had him put down.  He did this the day before we were to leave on family vacation.  I was led to believe he was going to the vets for the week.  When my father got home he was wretched -- kept sobbing.  My mom finally told me why.  I felt so bad for my father that I kept to myself that I was terribly hurt I wasn't given the chance to say a proper goodbye.

Maggie -- white cat, medium-length hair.  This was my third pet, but it was 10 years after Toby.  I was in the Navy and living in Naples, Italy, 1975-77.  One of my neighbors had too many cats for him (his girlfriend had even more) and he offered me one he called "Bianca".  She didn't look Italian to me, and I called her Maggie.  She was a great cat, loved chasing an aluminum foil ball I made and absolutely loved me.  Trouble was, I lived in a ground floor apartment that was only "secure" when the Roman persiana (wooden blinds on doors and windows) were closed.  It meant she was cooped up all day in the dark, and I eventually came to believe it wasn't a great thing for her, even though I enjoyed her immensely.  I spoke with my neighbor and he spoke with his girlfiend (who had the penthouse apartment with most of the building's rooftop as a balcony).  She was very happy to add Maggie to her brood, and I got to visit any time I wanted (I even cats-sat when she and my neighbor would go away on weekends).

Dickens -- male tiger-Persian mix.  LOVE of my life!  He was a gift to me from my landlady's daughter in 1987 when I was again in Naples, Italy (ten years later).  He was a kitty when I got him, and a vet later told me he couldn't have been more than 4 weeks old at the time.  I bought books on cats to teach me things I thought I needed to know.  I learned much more just watching him develop.  He was an amazing creature.

Vickie (aka Miss Vickie, Vickie Lester and Vickitoria) -- adopted in 1988 to be company/companion for Dickens.  There was an ordeal!  Both cats hated one another on sight.  Or so I thought.  They put me through all sorts of hell.  I had to feed them on different sides of the kitchen.  I had to give them "time outs"...from time to time, giving each freedom from the other by letting one outside a day at a time while keeping the other inside and devoting loads of attention to him or her.

I had to go away for a weekend and a co-worker who lived nearby offered to feed and play with the cats.  I fully briefed her on the routine I had so she'd understand why these cats seemed to hate one another.  When I returned and went to get my keys, she had a curious smile on her face.  She told me that when she went into the house both cats greeted her.  When she began preparing food, they were both at her feet, rubbing up against her and one another.  She put their food in separate dishes next to one another.  They both dived in, ate a while, and then they swapped bowls.  She said she talked to them while they ate.  Later, she said, they groomed one another.

I was dumbfounded.  I rushed home to witness this extraordinary sight.  What I found was what I left -- exactly the same animosity and hissing, etc.  It was then that it dawned on me.  They both liked one another, they just didn't want to "share" me.  

I took some corrective measures including not petting them separately but together.  Instead of giving each separate-but-equal doses of my time, I gave "both" the same measure of attention "together."

This ultimately worked out just fine.  Vickie was a bit clingier/needier than Dickens was, and she often overdid her attentions to him, including grooming.  Dickens would cooperate only to a point, and then he would swat at her.

There was never a question of whether both of these creatures would leave Italy with me.  My parents agreed to care for them during my last tour in the Navy.  They lived in Virginia at the time.  Later, they moved to South Carolina where my mom now lives.  Both cats had travelled extensively by the time they got to Johnston SC.  At that time, I was out of the Navy but living in a place where pets weren't allowed.  In 1995, I was anticipating being in a cat-friendly apartment by the end of the year and I'd have my two children with me.  Sadly, Dickens wouldn't make it through that year as he was struck by a speeding car on a backroad on which the speed limit was 5 mph.  Anyone doing the limit would easily have missed any animal in the road.  

I did bring Miss Vickie back to Oakland when I returned from my Christmas vacation with my folks.  It was the first time in her life that she had been the "only kitty".  Her little personality flourished and she was with me until August in her 22nd year.

I have no immediate plans to adopt another until my future plans are more clear to me.  I'm retirement-eligible (again) and I hope to continue working at least two more years before packing up and moving back east to be closer to my mom.  Then, it may be time to consider....another dog!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »

Happy Birthday DR RLP!!!!

Thanks kindly, DR Matthew!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »

To wax political for just a moment...

Obama says that people's families are "off limits."

But they are not.  To the extent that evangelicals and conservatives vilify my family in their cynical attempt to garner hate votes, I shall be scrutinizing their families in equal measure.  And so far, their actions don't measure up to their words.  

IMHO.

Well put my friend.

Anthony is very happy!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »

Good Morning, All!

A very happy birthday to Ron Pulliam!

Thank you, DR Kerry!  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR RON!

Thanks, Jane!   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »

No sadness - just happy memories.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »

Can't we have a VP who at least knows about birth control and urges its practice?

I would like a dime for every pregnant teen that ignored parental advice on birth control.

der Brucer

As an aside -  your proposal would elliminate most many Roman Catholics from VP consideration
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »

Thank you DR Vixmom.  

You look fetching in your new avatar.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »

I have packaged and stamped the orders I got over the weekend, and now I suppose I shall attempt to jog.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »

To the extent that evangelicals and conservatives vilify my family in their cynical attempt to garner hate votes, I shall be scrutinizing their families in equal measure.  

Does their behaving badly justify our poor behavior?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up