Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME IS LIKE AN IGLOO  (Read 71492 times)

singdaw

Re:TIME IS LIKE AN IGLOO
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »

I'm such a social butterfly.  I'm now off to a dinner party.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2008, 01:20:52 PM »

Thank you, Bruce. If I had to retire tomorrow I would say I was hurt badly, but fortunately I'm young enough to recuperate. There's a saying: "The stock market will go back up eventually. But eventually, we'll all be dead". The key is to time turning 67 years old with a nice upswing in the market. How the HELL am I supposed to do that?? Seriously, investing in mutual funds is not the same as investing in individual stocks, which are much riskier. But individual stocks are definitely much more fun and interesting (as evident by the eBay story). Amy

My mom's IRAs are directly tied to the stock market, so the subject has become very "off limits" lately.  She also gets social security and she has stocks.  Fortunately, she owns her house.  She pays cash for everything.

And she has a son with a military retirement income who is working on a second retirement income with county government until such time as he can also draw social security.

Everything could evaporate, I'm guessing.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »

I'm such a social butterfly.  I'm now off to a dinner party.

Don't get too close to any flames, butterfly.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »

I have a great deal of investment in the stock market, but I've never "played" it. I've invested in companies that seem secure and capble of growth, and let the stocks sit there accruing value as the decades pass. I was taught this by both my grandmother and my uncle, and I'm happy to say it's always worked out. I get dividends every quarter as "play money," there are money accounts where I can dip if taxes for the year don't go well (2007 was a prime example of that), and the rest sits there in case of a dire emergency.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »

I don't know what "authorized" means - I made a deal with the author, so presumably we're AUTHOR-ized.  Maybe the booklet had already been printed or maybe they're just stupid.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

I'm now off to a dinner party.

Isn't it a bit "early" for dinner????

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »

I see 11 full-time members are online as I type.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

I don't know what "authorized" means - I made a deal with the author, so presumably we're AUTHOR-ized.  Maybe the booklet had already been printed or maybe they're just stupid.

I know what my guess is.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »

I have spent the remainder of the afternoon watching THE SIXTH SENSE and a couple of bonus features.

Even when you know the film's gimmick, the film holds up beautifully as a movie about communicating. It has these three marvelous core performances. There are a couple of "boo" moments, but the real value for me is its emotional connection. When the mother and son finally make that connection in the car scene near the end of the movie, it's like a dam bursting. One of the great emotional payoffs in recent memory.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »

The two bonus features were OK (and all taken from the DVD release of the film). The one on and ghosts and spirituality featuring William Peter Blatty, Bruce Joel Rubin (GHOST), and others is a little ham-fisted.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »

The Blu-ray, by the way, looked stunning. Both SIGNS and THE SIXTH SENSE have had superb Blu-ray transfers. UNBREAKBALE was nice but not in the same league with these two.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »

Looks like six or seven more bonus features on THE SIXTH SENSE before I'll be done with it. Then, I'll watch prime time TV tonight.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »

Amy: We've agreed to a moritorium on talking politics here at HHW.  You may have missed that.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »

maybe they're just stupid.

That's always a distinct possibility.    :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »

Nothing much to say other than I'm out of the office and heading to Target where I will pick up IRON MAN and perhaps the SLEEPING BEAUTY DVD.

And when I say I will pick up IRON MAN, I do mean the DVD (just to head off any innuendo or out-your-window.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »

I am clewed out.  And you are on record as saying you cannot give any clew that might actually give away the titles until such time as you can announce them.

I promise I will be surprised and supportive.

More than that I cannot say.

No, no more can I say...at this time.

Excuse me Ron-But what is The FSM Board??

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2008, 02:13:05 PM »

Nothing much to say other than I'm out of the office and heading to Target where I will pick up IRON MAN and perhaps the SLEEPING BEAUTY DVD.

And when I say I will pick up IRON MAN, I do mean the DVD (just to head off any innuendo or out-your-window.)

The new edition of SLEEPING BEAUTY is not due out until next week though I suppose there are some outlets that will have it out prior to street date. IRON MAN, of course, came out today.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2008, 02:13:59 PM »

Now, I'm hopping off-line so I can write for awhile and then head back down to finish THE SIXTH SENSE's bonus features. Then, I'll be primed for some nighttime TV.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »

Excuse me Ron-But what is The FSM Board??

The FSM board is The FilmScoreMonthly Messageboard.  There are three forums -- one is for film score discussion, including threads on clues/guess/speculations about upcoming new CD releases; one is for selling or trading; and one is for discussion about anything under the sun "other than" film scores, excluding poltics and religion.

For a gander at the FilmScoreMonthly Messageboard, visit HERE.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:18:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2008, 03:04:17 PM »

BK=HOW ABOUT JEROME MOROSS?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

Ouch! I just checked my IRA; it's dropped $2000.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2008, 03:24:25 PM »

BK=HOW ABOUT JEROME MOROSS?

I've already said that this composer's work spanned the 50s through the 00s, which lets out Moross.  

Kerry

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »

It's the morning after the Dow Jones had its largest drop in the history of all time, and our beloved host has the audacity to say: "...yesterday was an okay day – nothing horrible happened...". Nothing HORRIBLE happened??!! Where else on all the Internet can you read such a phrase the day after the Dow Jones had its largest drop in the history of all time? Nowhere that's where! (I must interject here that spelling "nowhere" as one word bothers me just as much as spelling "no one" as "noone" because it looks more like "now here" than "no where".)

Okay, before all the egg heads on this board jump on me, I realize that it wasn't the largest percentage drop of the Dow Jones in the history of time. But still, Bruce's complete non-mention of the event tells me that he doesn't have a diversified asset allocation of mutual fund investments making up his retirement portfolio. Does Bruce even have a retirement portfolio or are we all going to have to support him in his old age, when his morning jog has been reduced to .3 kilometers?

Amy

Of course, Variety's headline for the crash of 1929 was "Wall Street Lays An Egg"!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »

Wow, it's a good thing I'm broke, or I'd really be in trouble!!!   ;) :P :-\
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2008, 03:37:25 PM »

I've already said that this composer's work spanned the 50s through the 00s, which lets out Moross.  

I have an idea of one person who it might be.  I know Bruce has recorded some of this composer's work before and has thought about featuring him.  I wonder.......
I like boat races.

Amy

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »

Amy: We've agreed to a moritorium on talking politics here at HHW.  You may have missed that.

Yes, I did miss that. Thanks for letting me know!

Amy

Amy

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »

Wow, it's a good thing I'm broke, or I'd really be in trouble!!!   ;) :P :-\

An ironic observation I've made about myself is that the more money I have, the more I worry about money. When I was a "starving student" and had nothing, I didn't worry about money at all.

Amy

Kerry

« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »

An ironic observation I've made about myself is that the more money I have, the more I worry about money. When I was a "starving student" and had nothing, I didn't worry about money at all.

Amy

Exactly!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... After my 40-minute break, the next part of my work "day" only ended up lasting about 50 minutes, so... Since it was very nice outside, I took a nice long walk up 7th and 8th Avenues from Chelsea up to Columbus Circle to catch the train back uptown.  Fall is most definitely in the air in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »

And my dinner tonight ended up being composed of "sides".  I roasted some fingerling potatoes as well as some Brussels sprouts, and once they came out of the oven, I just ended up eating a hearty portion of both them.  -And I'm trying make sure I still have some leftovers for tomorrow.  Or at least later tonight.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up