Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL  (Read 21451 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »

td -- I don't suppose you would consider moving to Tacoma for two months?  We need a suave and dashing actor to play Captain Lombard in TEN LITTLE INDIANS.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2004, 09:17:43 PM »

td -- I don't suppose you would consider moving to Tacoma for two months?  We need a suave and dashing actor to play Captain Lombard in TEN LITTLE INDIANS.

Hmmmmm. . .It would get me closer to that land down under, now, wouldn't it? ? ?
Sauve and dashing, eh?  Why aren't you playing the Captain?

Jane, Echo is so adorable in that picture!  Reach over and pat her for me!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2004, 09:30:53 PM »

OZ is in fact part of the State of Washington.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2004, 09:34:32 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from day of venturing here and there and out and about the environs of L.A.  Quite a nice day.

And I just got back from a nice sushi dinner with DR Jay.  Kind of indifferent service, but the fish was very good and fresh.  And, of course, the company was very nice too.  Thank you, again, Jay, for your kindness and hospitality.

Well, time to for me to read today's posts - which I haven't yet (duh!) - I'll be back soon...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2004, 09:35:16 PM »

According to Google I am either an ROTC student in Syracuse, an Orthopedic Surgeon in Rhode Island, or a freelance writer in Oregon who just interviewed western actress Beth Marion!

Well, one of those is true! LOL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2004, 09:51:34 PM »

Here are just a few Google sites for "George Patrick Dougherty" (my full name):

George Dougherty c1825-1907 — Irish dragoon, Australian selector
In three years, I'll have been dead for 100 years!  Who knew?  But I really am of Irish descent.

George Patrick Dougherty Sr & Mary A Hannon
And I was married to Mary!  Now that's a surprise!

And working under my middle name, I'm a sculptor of buildings (you have to check out this website)!!  And according to my resumé, I have a piece at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, WA!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »

The pleasure was mine, Dear Reader Jose!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2004, 09:59:14 PM »

I like the idea of using Cheney as a eupherism for f*ck, as in "Go Cheney yourself" or "Cheney you and the bus you rode in on".  If enough people use Cheney that way, it will become synonymous with f*ck.  Eventually, Cheney will be one of those words you can't say on TV.

As Kurt Vonnegut said, "Why don't you take a flying Cheney at a rolling donut?  Why don't you take a flying Cheney at the mooooooooon!"

Dear Reader Jose and I saw this post, Dear Reader Dan (the Man), before we headed out to dinner and enjoyed quite the laugh over it together.

I plan to start using the C-word in lieu of the F-word at once!

George

« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2004, 10:07:16 PM »

One more thing I found under "Patrick Dougherty" is the Summit Hill (Pennsylvania) High School Graduation Page (I didn't link it because it brings up pop-up ads and opens the "search" box on the side of the browser window...very annoying).  In addition to the aforementioned Patrick, it lists several other Doughertys, including a Frank (1926) and a Joseph (1929).  My dad's dad was Francis (and sometimes went by Frank) and he had an uncle Joe who was younger than his dad!  I called my dad (who was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania...that's why I wondered) and he didn't think that they were his family, mainly because he thinks that the years are wrong.  His dad was born in 1906 and would've been 20 if he graduated from Summit Hill.  And he has no idea where Summit Hill is in relation to Pittsburgh.  But, you never know.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2004, 10:08:18 PM »

According to Google, I am Senior Vice President and Associate General Counsel at JPMorganChase.  

Pity about the name of the merged banking houses.  Dear Readers of a certain age could have said they had a friend at Chase Manhattan.

td

• td
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2004, 10:25:16 PM »

According to Google:

Anthony Dale only produces one wine, a Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon blend.

hey, the drinks are one me!

td

• td
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2004, 10:26:51 PM »

I also am a member of SETI;  work for a local school district as a computer technician. I'm 32. Married with four children, three boys and a girl. My hobbies include, but not limited to, model building, hunting, fishing, camping and computers! Currently I have four computers running. A dual processer Dell server and three home computers.
1) I believe life could exist outside our planet just because of the number of stars. I can't really say that we'll ever contact it and if we do, I think we'll have to go find it first. I do know that this project is important because there is the possibility of discovery. 2) We should transmit some kind of beacon on a broad range of frequencies. It should contain the radio frequency we're on. 3) I really interested in the distributed computing. I think it's a cool project!

Far out, man!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »

Good Evening! again...

Well, when I Google myself - how's that for a euphemism!!! - I find that I was the employee of the month for some hotel in Arlington, VA - which is kind of scary since I grew up in Arlington, VA.

I also come across a listing for a concert for a Holocaust Memorial that I was scheduled to play for, accompanying a singer.  This item, unfortunately(?), is true.  It was just a weird, frustrating situation.  I had done some work for this organization in the past, and for the lady who was putting everything together.  However, her organizational skills and sense of prioritizing were kind of lacking, imho, and I always ended up getting short-shrifted in some way or another.  Well, when this concert came up, it appeared she assumed I would say, "Yes," - so much so, that the programs were already printed - and even posted on the web!  Well, I had not said, "Yes", yet - I was in the process of trying to safeguard myself from some of the past frustrations when dealing with her - negotiating.  For instance, there were two occasions where the singers I were to play for were scheduled to go on at 7:00p.m - but did not end up going on until close to 10:00p.m. due to "scheduling problems") - and then she would balk when I asked to be compensated for my extra (wasted) time - "Oh, this happens all the time.  Don't worry about it." What?!?!?  So, if you knew I would be on later in the evening, why bother asking me to get there fours hours in advance then!?!?!  I even ended up almost missing a late gig one night due to "scheduling problems" - which "happen all the time".  Well, my "suggestions" and "pleas" were falling on deaf ears.  It just got to the point where I literally just stopped returning her phone calls.  And I still remember getting a call from her office the day before the event asking if I would still coming to play for the concert.  And she even had someone else in her office call me too!

Of course, I didn't realize that the programs had been printed up in advance, and when I found out that they had been a few months later, I did feel a little bit bad about the whole situation.  I just hope they did find someone to play for the singer that day.  Heck, I was just going to playing for a few selections, and by the time I had stopped returning her phone calls, it was still a few weeks in advance of the program - why she just didn't get the "clew" and start looking for another pianist is beyond me.  And I'm not even really "name" pianist either.  But since she assumed... and you know what happens when you "assume"...

Whew!  That brought up some past baggage.... next topic...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 10:52:16 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2004, 10:55:31 PM »

Good Evening! again...

<SNIP>

Whew!  That brought up some past baggage.... next topic...

Sometimes you just have to vent. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2004, 11:02:30 PM »

My day started off with sort of record-breaking jaunt down Hillhurst to Franklin, then over to Vermont, to the House of Pies (coconut cream, with a cup of extra whipped cream (for BK), and an apple pie (for Tammy), then continuing down Vermont to Sunset to get on the Metro to the Hollywood/Highland station, then a walk down Highland, left on Santa Monica, left on Hudson, then a right into the stage door entrance to the theatre.  WHEW!!!

I didn't end up leaving the apartment until about 11:05 - and I was at the theare - with pies in hand! - by 11:50.  Now that's making good time!!!

I got a little worried that I would be late since the signs in the Metro station kept saying there was some sort of mechanical problem that was causing delays, but I only waited for about two minutes before the next train came in the station.

So... I get to the theatre, present the pies... And wait for the young woman to come audition for the female swing slot.  Well, of course, she doesn't show up.  I finally leave at 12:30, and head over to Vine to walk up to Hollywood.

-I'll let BK fill you in on the details of the day at the theatre...

As for me, I was a bit frustrated that I ended up going into the theatre today for nothing, but it was nice to drop off the pies, and it got me out of bed and out of the apartment earlier today than I probably would have otherwise.  And I did enjoy my walk up Vine to Hollywood.  I made note a few places I want to check out, and it was fun walking over and looking at some of the "stars in the sidewalk".

I also now know where I can - and can't - take a picture of the Hollywood sign.  I kept thinking, "Hmm... if I go one block further I'll get a better view.... Hmm.. Nope... well, maybe one more... Hmm... Nope... "  Ah, well... next time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2004, 11:03:53 PM »

I'm going to lie down and read for a bit. I may even do some thinking. Although I try never to think after 8 PM.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2004, 11:06:17 PM »

DerBrucer why didn't you take Jane Fonda off the list when she apologized?

Why the Red Cross?

The closest Jane came to an apology was on 20-20 when  she was trying to smooth over problems with a film shoot caused by verterans groups.

Frankly, her alleged actions call for a public trial, not just an apology!

As far as the Red Cross goes, I feel giving aid the to the civilian population of a hostile nation is, in fact, underwriting the government of said nation. I chose not to have my hard earned dollars go to support relief efforts in a Cuba about to harbor Soviet Missiles. Many servicemen hold a Red Cross grudge because of the tales of them charging money to combat soldiers for coffee, etc.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:54:29 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #197 on: August 02, 2004, 11:19:18 PM »

Der Brucer: Why Canada? And why NOt the Boy Scouts?

Well, an internet search of "Boycott Canada" turns up a whole cottage industry of "Blame Canada" sites. In my case, it's not seals, or the World Bank, or First Nations fishing rights, or Nestle killing babies with formula the is the potentional problem, it is the potential granting of asylum to US armed forces deserters.

Bill O'Reilly (NO GROANING!) opines:

Canada is Harboring American Military Deserters...Wednesday, April 28, 2004
By Bill O'Reilly

But first, Canada is harboring American military deserters.  That is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points Memo." Out of 1.5 million Americans currently serving in the military, just two have deserted as far as we know.  Army Privates Jeremy Hinzman  and Brandon Huey  have bolted to Canada, where they apparently are being well received.  According to Ron Adamson, who broke the story in "The Christian Science Monitor ," the Canadian media generally speaking has embraced the deserters.

The Canadian Broadcasting Company said, "For more than 200 years, Americans have been escaping war and strife by heading north."

Columnists in "The Toronto Globe and Mail" wrote this: "These young men...are different from the Vietnam lot in that they weren't drafted.  The United States itself is different in that it's worse.  Such is a huge divide between rich and poor that these young people signed up so they could go to college.

Little did they know that the man who stole the 2000 election would boast with that unnerving, uncertain grin that he was a 'wartime president.'"

The "Globe and Mail" columnist goes on to glorify the two deserters who have now established Web sites and have publicists so in demand they are in Canada.
And guess whose letter appears on the Hinzman Web site?  Hey, there Susan Sarandon.  Here's what she wrote.

"In times of war there have always been soldiers who have drawn the line, and have refused to follow orders they feel in their hearts to be immoral."

That's right, Susan.  They're called conscientious objectors, not a deserter.

Hinzman and Huey have applied for asylum in Canada, which by law can only be granted if a person can prove they'll be killed or persecuted in their homeland.

Since the Iraq war is undeclared, they could not be executed by the military in the USA.  And they probably will be sentenced to  five years in prison under the general court-martial law if they come back here.  That's a prosecution, not a persecution.

If Canada grants these two asylum, that would obviously be a slap in the face to America.  Harboring deserters is a serious business.

There's no question that the Canadian press has become rabidly anti-American.  "The Toronto Globe and Mail," the CBC and others delight in insulting us.  That, of course, is their right.

But if the Canadian government joins in and gives these deserters a home, then "Talking Points" will call for a boycott of Canada.  They will join France.  Enough's enough.  We respect honest disagreement, but undermining our military in the middle of the war on terror by providing sanctuary for deserters, lawbreakers is a hostile act.

A counter-view is expressed by theIntellectual Conservative:

Last year, Bill O’Reilly made headlines when he called upon Americans to boycott France due to the efforts of the French government to undermine international support to rid the world of Saddam Hussein at the United Nations.  The French government has always had a cozy relationship with Saddam, but in light of the UN Oil for Food Scandal -- where it appears that French politicians and businessmen were bribed by Saddam -- the boycott appears to be richly deserved.    

For my own part, I supported O’Reilly’s call for a boycott of France.  Mind you, all that really meant for me was not buying Evian or Volvic bottled water.   But it was the principle of the matter.

Now O’Reilly is at it again this time, taking aim at Canada.    O’Reilly has been teed off with the Canadian government for some time for a number of reasons.  He has been critical of their liberal immigration and refugee policies, their unwillingness to address the growing number of terror cells from al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Hamas, that have taken root on Canadian soil, as well as their refusal to send troops to Iraq.

However, when two American soldiers deserted from the Army to seek asylum in Canada, O’Reilly had enough.  He was piqued at how the Canadian media (specifically the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the Toronto Globe and Mail) have lionized the deserters. He has warned Canadians that he will call for a boycott if the Canadian government grants their request for asylum.    

The Government of Canada does not take terrorism as seriously as it should, and granting asylum to army deserters who ought to be before a military court sends a terrible message.  Yet at the same time I believe Americans should ignore O’Reilly, should he decide to add Canada to his blacklist.

der Brucer (who will wait 'till the whole story plays out before deciding)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2004, 11:30:09 PM »

So, I get up to Hollywood and Vine and descend once more into the Metro system to take the Red Line to Union Station.

My trip to Union Station served two purposes.  1) I wanted to buy a monthly EZ-Pass for the Metro and bus system, and 2) I want to have lunch at Philippe, The Original.

So... I get off the train and walk up in the main concourse of Union Station, and spend some time just checking the place out again.  I think it's a neat building, and the little courtyards off the main seating and waiting areas are very nice places to sit outside and relax.  And the ceiling design appeals to me too.

Eventually, I get in line, buy my EZ-Pass, and make my way over to my lunch destination.  Thankfully, after my trek over to Alameda and Ord last year, I know knew the "short" way over there.  Last year, I went out the far end of the station, and ended up having to go through an underpass, through some major construction zone, etc.  This time, it was just out the front door, and over to Olvera Street - I just had to take a walk through there to look at all the kitsch and non-kitsch - then over to Philippe, The Original.

Today's lunch was a "splurge" - a double-dipped Lamb with bleu cheese.  That set me back a whopping $5.50!  ;)  -And I also got a side of pickled beets and a lemonade.  Everything was quite dee-lish and tasty, and nice way to supplement myself as it were after all the walking and near-sprinting I had done in the morning.

On the way back to Union Station, I made a slight pass through Chinatown - eh... Then it was back over to Olvera Street where I ended up getting some dessert - a churro filled with warm caramel.  Yummy!

Once back in Union Station, I sat down and took a breather in one of the aforementioned courtyards and took care of some phone calls.  -One of my calls turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant call to Sprint to change my service plan - the customer service rep actually seemed genuinely interesting in helping me out.

Then it was onto the Gold Line to head into Pasadena...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2004, 11:35:03 PM »

Well..derBrucer...those tales of combat soldiers being charged for cigarettes and coffee by the cheney Red Cross are true.  And it has always gone on.  A woman I worked with at the Dept of Labor told me that her brother (during WWII) asked for pack of cigarettes for a dying soldier and the nurse charged him 25 cents...or wanted to.

I also remember more recently, that the directors of the largest cheney Red Cross offices are paid their salaries plus a percentage bonus of the money they collect.  The more you give, the more THEY get.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/29/eveningnews/main516700.shtml

All of my charitable donations go to local organizations where I volunteer or to the Riley Hospital for children in Indianapolis.

And before you tell me this is an isolated case, and they do great work and this is just an aberration....here is another one.  They owe her a million dollars in salary???? :o

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040622/news_1m22dodie.html
Be careful where you give for charity, DRs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:39:10 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2004, 11:35:29 PM »

Der Brucer: Why Canada? And why NOt the Boy Scouts?

And on to the Boy Scouts.

If, as they maintain, the B. S.of A. is a private organization, they then have the right to discriminate based on sexual preference or religious beliefs. However, as a private organization, they do not have the same rights to free public space as do the public non-profits.

I have a real tough time on this issue. Boycotting BSA is punishing an heck of a lot of kids for the myopic vision of the organization's national leaders. In my last home town of Long Beach, CA there was a quiet truce, a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell " environment which served the community fairly well. Before I'm willing to throw the Boy Scout baby out with the Homophobic Washwater I want to see an effective alternative scouting-like organization in place ready to do the fine community duty currently done by the Boy Scouts.

As a grandparent, I cannot see myself arguing to keep my grandsons out of scouting - it just ain't a gonna happen.

der Brucer

PS Please note: the Girl Scouts do NOT have an anti-gay position.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2004, 11:42:33 PM »

The trip to Pasadena was very nice.  The trains run above ground, and there's some relatively nice scenery along the way.

I deboarded at the Memorial Park station and walked over to City Hall.  Some great architecture, and the blending of the old and new seems really well done.

I did some window shopping in Old Pasadena, and did some behind the window shopping at See's Candies. ;)

I also got "lost" in Old Town Music.  What a wonderful store.  Very well stocked and some helpful staff.  Since I used to be a buyer for a music store, I did my usual check of certain items to see how good the store was/is.  Lo and behold, that had everything I usually look for - some obscura and some "interesting" editions of some classic repertoire.  And all of it was neatly arranged and displayed in this basement level storefront.  I think I ended up just browsing for about a good 45 minutes - smiling all the time.  I also came across a few items I will definitely need to add to my library at a later date.

Once I made my way back to street level, DR Jay and I finally got in touch with each other via cell phone, and we set up our plan to meet for dinner.  Which, as I mentioned before, was very nice.

OH!!!  And I also got to meet Roller and Blackjack, Jay's DDs - or DCs - (Dear Dogs, Dear Canines - since DD seems to be reserved for Dear/Darling Daughter).  Great animals, and Jay is a great father to them too.

OH!!! (again) I was a bit thrown by the four-way stop/street crossing signs in Pasadena.  I kept wondering what the "Diagonal Crossing Allowed" signs meant.. Well, I found out.  I eventually realized after some observation that the intersection would come to a four-way stop - this way you could cross straight across the street, or make a diagonal cross from corner to corner.  Interesting.

Well...  That was my day, more or less...

To quote Time Rice... "Have I said to much?..."
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2004, 11:43:53 PM »

We made it to 200 Posts....

Oh my, DRJOSE....I keep imagining a scene like that at the end of The Sound of Music - at the lady's non-event.

Announcer:  Ladies and gentlemen, Jose Simbulan.....  (applause...applause....pause....)....Ladies and gentlemen, pianist, Jose C. Simbulan....(applause....everyone looking around....applause....applause)....Ladies and gentlmen, at the piano Maestro Jose Simbulan....(applause....applause....and the spotlight sweeps the empty stage and eventually lights the empty piano bench).

From offstage a young man in a uniform runs on and yells:  "He's gone!"

Whew, it was probably MOST exciting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2004, 11:44:44 PM »

Hmmm... BK has yet to post.. ???  Did I somehow miss a recent post?  Is he still at the theatre?  Did he finish the WHOLE pie?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2004, 11:51:34 PM »

Has this link been posted?  It's - I guess - the official press release for What If? on some website.   ;D

http://allegrophoto.com/whahtif.htm
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:52:32 PM by JRand53 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2004, 11:53:46 PM »

DR JRand53 - Well, your post reminds me of two things...

Once, when I was hanging out backstage at the Kennedy Center, a very harried young man came up to me and told me I was going onstage in 5 minutes.  What?!?!  They had just changed the piano, and once the players were back in place, I would be ready to head out to play the Brahms' First Piano Concerto.  WHAT?!?!?!  Well, as it turned out, the finals of some piano competition were taking place that evening.  I was just stretching my legs before a show I was playing over in the Opera House - and I was in a tux.... and the backstages in the Kennedy Center are all connected by one long hallway more or less... So... He thought I was the next contestant since I was in a tux... and was/am Asian/Filipino...  I was actually almost tempted to go out there - I knew the opening section of the piece - and it would have been "fun" to sit out there on stage during the whole orchestral exposition... But, alas... I told him I wasn't competing... and he headed down the hall to the other dressing room area... But.. What if...? ;)

-And I think I've this one before: I also used to get this "recital dream" where I would walk out on stage, sit down on the piano and start playing... But every single note on the piano was tuned to the SAME pitch!!!  My fingers were playing different keys, but all I could hear in my dream was one note!!!  I finish my piece, the audience applauds... and I wake up feeling very strange and displaced.

-Although, if it were possible to do so, that would be quite the prank to play on someone. :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2004, 11:53:47 PM »

time for bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2004, 11:55:01 PM »

I didn't get home until 11:15!  I have now read all your wonderful postings (and thanks for keeping the home fries burning in such a terrific way) and I've just finished the notes, so they'll go up in a mere five minutes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2004, 11:56:12 PM »

LOL....reminds me of the piano Yosemite Sam rigged to explode when Bugs Bunny played "Those Endearing Young Charms."

Bugs kept playing the last note wrong.  Sam got irritated and finally said: "No, ya idjit...this is the way it goes."  He played the song...and of course blew himself up!  LOL

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »

Five minutes!  I think I can last that long....I shall wait.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up