Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATENESS OF THE NOTES  (Read 13046 times)

Ben

Re:THE LATENESS OF THE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2004, 06:46:40 PM »

Just left a sparkling chat. See you all tomorrow.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »

Did somebody say there used to be a mystery show called Elderly Queen?  I don't remember that.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2004, 06:55:39 PM »

Thanks to all for the chat. Now I need to find something sweet.

Ah, a glass of water.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2004, 06:55:55 PM »

I came into chat 20 minutes late [I'm at work and had to work and chat at the same time (a Mary Rodgers reference)].  Now I must leave work, get dinner, then go home!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2004, 07:04:11 PM »

DR Danise,
I liked your lady bug story. I have always been fascinated by lady bugs and would NEVER kill one on purpose. They are such harmless and helpful bugs I cannot see why anyone would be wanting to harm one.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2004, 07:37:32 PM »

This evening I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2004, 08:11:54 PM »

OK, so I never got LOVE NEST watched today. It's first on the docket tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2004, 08:18:36 PM »

This evening I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

OMG, DRLaura, that pic is beautiful.  I've made it my wallpaper here at home.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2004, 09:13:11 PM »

OK, so I never got LOVE NEST watched today. It's first on the docket tomorrow.
You didn't get to LOVE NEST, but I made it to BUS STOP.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2004, 09:35:16 PM »

Good Evening!

Sorry I missed chat - it's just sooo "early" for me right now.  ;)

I also headed out for a bit to stretch my legs and get some air - and do some more window shopping and price checking and comparing.

And now I'm just vegging out in front of the TV for a bit...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2004, 10:03:48 PM »

Beautiful photo, DR Laura. Had a take-out grilled veggie plate from the Daily Grill for dinner. It was SO huge, I couldn't even get through half of it. It was really good, though.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2004, 10:06:17 PM »

Hey there, everyone.  Sorry to have been E&T, but it's been an interesting few days of late.

I'll concentrate on the most recent event.  I got fired today.

Well, terminated is a better word, and with just cause.  I was violating one of the company policies, and had been warned to not do so, but did so again, force of habit on collecting data on my own performance from the company I used to work for.  For the company I've been working for, for the last few months, this data collection is not acceptable behavior.  However, on Sunday I did it again, was caught by one of my friends at work, and much as he didn't want to, he had to report it to our boss.

It's just as well, because I reported it to my boss myself first thing when I went in to work today.  And she reluctantly had to let me go.

No animosity towards the boss; she's been one of the best I've had in years.  And no animosity towards any of my co-workers...well, save one, but not the one who had to report my actions.

The good news is that I have a much stronger belief in myself as a worker.  This was my first job in retail, one I didn't know I could do well, and my boss was very pleased with my work.  So I now know there are things I can do that I didn't think I could before this job.

The bad news is that I'm off job-hunting again as of tomorrow.

After a haircut.  I need a haircut.

And shoes.  I need new shoes.

And I've got to get the laundry done.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2004, 10:09:12 PM »

DR Elmore hopes to be back by the end of the week. I don't think he'll mind my quoting a bit of his note:
" I appreciate all the love, support, wishes, vibes you all send my way, and believe me, I feel like I can use any and all directed my way. ...I really do look on most of you as my nuclear family...  You're all quite dear to me, and I'm dying to know all about the Northwest reunion this weekend.
...Believe me, I will return, and I'm lucky so much good will comes my way from a group of global strangers I've come to care for so much."

***GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO ELMORE!***

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2004, 10:13:45 PM »

Elsewhere on the news here in Rehoboth, der Brucer is seriously considering adopting another dog.

Kelsey's passing, however timely, has left a void, and while most people would consider four dogs quite enough (if not more than), der B. is reacting by wanting to fill that void.

It started a couple of days ago, when he was driving me to my job.  A couple of labradors came galumphing down the street, happy to see people and friendly as all get out.  (We know this, because der B. stopped and opened the car door, and they both came over to say hello.)  After dropping me off at work, he of course had to do a search for their owners.

It turned out their owners were a family staying for the week at a neighbor's house, glad to be reunited with said labs.

But next der B. was checking on-line, and found a rescue operation running locally for dalmatians.  There is one in particular, a young male who is deaf but a dear and in need of a home, who we may be meeting soon.

This story will be continued at a later time.  I've got several days worth of notes to catch up on.

Someday, I'm going to have to try having a boring life, just to see what it's like.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2004, 10:13:46 PM »

~~~~MANY GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DR ELMORE!!~~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2004, 10:15:09 PM »

Vibes to DR Elmore.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

George

« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2004, 10:17:08 PM »

~~~~AND MANY JOB-HUNTING VIBES FOR DR S. WOODY!!~~~~

Panni

« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2004, 10:19:24 PM »

I thought SWW had a job...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:20:11 PM by Panni »

George

« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2004, 10:27:53 PM »

Hey there, everyone.  Sorry to have been E&T, but it's been an interesting few days of late.

I'll concentrate on the most recent event.  I got fired today.

<SNIP>

The bad news is that I'm off job-hunting again as of tomorrow.

:(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:28:41 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2004, 10:43:10 PM »

Well... I think I'm going to turn in early.  I was still feeling slightly "off" today, and I think I just need to rest.  I started counting up all the walking I've been doing lately, and I realized I've been logging in at least 4 miles a day just on my "commute".  Then add on top of that some of the detours and sight-seeing I've been doing...  Hey, at least it's exercise!  I also need to stop staying up late(r) just because I can.

So, call me a "wussburger" - at least for tonight.   ???

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2004, 11:10:10 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DR ELMORE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOOD JOB-HUNTING VIBES TO DR SWW!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2004, 11:17:08 PM »

Well, I somehow missed the firing post. (It was between two of mine.) So sorry to hear it, SWW.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2004, 11:40:08 PM »

Happy Birthday to TCB!!!!! I hope the cake was good and that you will give us a cake report tomorrow!

Feel better vibes to Elmore ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good job hunting vibes to SWW. ~~~~~~~~~

I'm glad you liked the photo, DiT. The colors were gorgeous and I was lucky to catch them before they disappeared.

Hopefully I will wake up early enough for a nice walk in the morning. It's been cooler this August than any I remember, so I should take advantage of that.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2004, 11:47:46 PM »

When Reprise! does their two-week run of a show (the current one is Brigadoon), they usually try to fill their "dark" Monday night at the Freud Playhouse with some kind of one-night-only event.

Tonight it was a presentation of Jones and Schmidt's I Do!  I Do!  Miss Diana Canova and Mr. Harry Groener were the featured performers, accompanied by two pianos.  These two artists did a two week run of this show in June in Cape Cod, so they were off-book, a rarity at these Monday evening events.  The staging was fairly complete and looked well rehearsed, too.

Although I've heard several of the show's songs out of context before, this was my first exposure to I Do!  I Do!'s complete score.  I left the theater wondering if a show like this could be written, produced and--heaven forbid--be successful today.  With its rather simple construction, straightforward lyrics and melodies, transparent arc and a romanticism that veers into sentimentality here and there, my conclusion is probably not.  Which, of course, is a real pity because, ultimately, I Do!  I Do! is a very sweet way to while away two hours in a theater.

Both Mr. Groener and Miss Canova were quite good.  Although Miss Canova's singing voice may not be the most beautiful voice in the world, her acting is extraordinarily naturalistic, rendering the ups and downs of her character's relationship with that of Mr. Groener's entirely credible.

Confidential to Dear BK:  You no doubt will be happy to learn that Miss Canova's program bio makes prominent mention of her participation in The First Nudie Musical!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2004, 11:53:12 PM »

I'm glad to hear she's finally put it in her bio.  I've razzed her about it for years.  

Perhaps she was having an off-night, because her voice is beautiful, at least every time I've heard it.  I like the two-piano version - I recorded the revival with Ziemba and Garrison with two-pianos.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up