Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TWIDDLING MY THUMBS  (Read 30730 times)

Danise

Re:TWIDDLING MY THUMBS
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »

Congrats to Cillaliz on quiting the smoking.  

I should finish catching up but I'm getting tired again.  Forgive me but I have to go.

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2005, 04:14:56 PM »

Well, it's the end of an era.  

I just received the most disgusting, annoying, and nauseating news - Aron's Records, which I have been going to for close to forty years (first in its original Melrose Ave. location, and then in its current location on Highland) is closing its doors.  Amoeba has finally done them in.  This is so sickening on so many levels - Amoeba simply ripped off the business model of Aron's.  They took a look at the success of that store, and opened their version in San Francisco.  It did so well (why wouldn't it - Aron's was hugely successful), and then they decided to come to LA.  WHERE did they open a store?  One half mile from Aron's.  It was the kiss of death, because Amoeba spent hundreds of thousands of dollars getting the word out.  And the people came.  Idiot teenagers came, and they paid list price for things they could get three or four dollars cheaper ANYWHERE, and considerably cheaper than that at Aron's, which always had the best discount.  Amoeba, within weeks, had put a huge dent in Aron's business - why, is another story.  Why did all those people who'd been shopping at Aron's for years, suddenly jump ship to another store where they'd be paying MORE money?  I'm not talking about the "regulars" like me - I'm talking about these young, disgusting pimple-faced little twits who wouldn't know loyalty if it kicked them in the ass.  Apparently it was worth paying more money to be in the flavor of the week hip place.  Of course, Amoeba will find this out in three or four years, when someone else comes along and does to them what they did to Aron's.

I've watched with some sadness as Aron's, a store that was usually filled to the brim with shoppers, had their customer base dwindle down to nothing.  They were the best store for soundtracks and shows (my pal Brad Bennett was/is their buyer - and no one knows their stuff like Brad), a mecca, and now, as of January (or sooner) they will be gone.

And, unlike Footlight in NY (another mecca, recently closed), there will be no life for Aron's on the Internet.  It's just another nail in the coffin of the way we live today and I am truly depressed by this news.  

It's the end of an era.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2005, 04:32:54 PM »

Sorry to hear about Aron's.  I never visited the store in my one (count it, ONE) visit to LA, but I have friends who shopped there.

One found wonderful music jewels on LP and CD and shared them with me over the years.

I always thought I'd make a beeline for Aron's on my sometime-in-the-future return to LA.  Alas the day.

I am, however, familiar with Amoeba in Berkeley and San Francisco.  But my most favorite special finds were at a similar kind of store called Rasputin's, also in Berkeley (there is also one in San Francisco, but it is in prime real estate and there are no "bargains" to be had...they're only marginally cheaper on used goods than Tower is on new ones).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 04:37:55 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2005, 04:36:44 PM »

This day has turned into an avalanche of crisis must-dos.  

Have mercy!  I'm still looking at leaving at 5 p.m., but one never knows.

There have been sporadic flurries of crisis-mode angst with gaps of mind-numbing normalcy.

But meetings are underway...oh, yes!  Folks are meeting, and planning, and plotting.

I pray for the fat lady to sing...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2005, 04:38:27 PM »

Aron's was, I believe, the first store to every buy used LPs and make those the calling card for their customers.  They always had the new stuff, well-discounted, but it was the used LPs that brought hordes of people flocking to the store.  Once they did that, then everyone jumped on the bandwagon, but they were there first.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2005, 04:38:40 PM »

What's that, Tomovoz?

It's great to be retired?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2005, 04:39:31 PM »

When Aron's moved to Highland, they began featuring live bands, local LA groups, who could get real exposure for their album.  Of course, Amoeba ripped that off, too, and does the exact same thing in their LA store.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2005, 04:42:14 PM »

Aron's was, I believe, the first store to every buy used LPs and make those the calling card for their customers.  They always had the new stuff, well-discounted, but it was the used LPs that brought hordes of people flocking to the store.  Once they did that, then everyone jumped on the bandwagon, but they were there first.  

I have a friend who used to find Academy promo CDs of film scores at Aron's...and would buy them for $3-$5 each.  And not only that, but such rarities, USED, like "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearn" for mere pennies.

Last I saw, a copy of that CD could be had for $249.99.

The clientele in LA was very diverse and had a wealth of CD materials thrown at them...and many found that Aron's was a great way of getting that material into hands that would value it.

Rats!  Damn!  Poopie!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »

My friend also built a collection of opera recordings, on LP and CD, that would be the envy of most universities with large music departments.

She'd find those enormous boxed sets for $3-$4 each, most never played or barely used.  Then she found the same things on CD.  Many a birthday and Christmas has seen a 4-CD opera set mailed my way....and Aron's was the source.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2005, 04:46:14 PM »

I see a mess of readers "Twiddling My Thumbs" in lurk.

But nothing...NAY NOTHING...seems to move them to post.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2005, 04:49:37 PM »

One of my favorite oxymorons is a "near miss".   Isn't that a hit?
No, that's an available girl in the neighborhood.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »

It's late Saturday morning here DR Ron. Shopping done, birds fed (a few times), dogs fed and now to decide which task to put off next. There are such choices in retirement.

It's been a battle for the independent CD stores to survive but some of them have indeed managed here. I don't think "Borders" have made much of an inroad here - too expensive! Amazon and downloads are still the major issues.  I have still never downloaded music from the NET.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2005, 04:51:20 PM »

Health vibage to DR Danise!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »

Toby and Dylan and their humans send Good Health vibes to DR Danise!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2005, 05:24:41 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Danise - VIBES! VIBES! VIBES!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2005, 05:26:37 PM »

Good afternoon DR Jose! (From Colin, Magnus & Fosca too)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2005, 05:33:26 PM »

We had a wonderful day of choreography clean-up.  Lots of good work today.  And we took an hour "break" to meet some original Washington Senators players - Mickey Vernon and Frank "??".  They shared many stories with us, and I found myself moved by their "longevity" and continued dedication to the sport.  -Both of their playing careers ended in the late 50's, but they still act as scouts and consultants for Major League Baseball.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »

Good Afternoon to You too, my friends Down Under!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2005, 05:41:06 PM »

Topic of the Day....

Well...

I did receive a package from the Good Cook Book Club yesterday.  I finally used up a bunch of Bonus Points that have been sitting in my account for a while now, so I basically got three books for free (well, I still had to pay S&H).

Tyler Florence - Eat This Book
Alton Brown - I'm Just Here for More Food
Alice Medrich - Bittersweet

I started reading Bittersweet during rehearsal today.  It's all about chocolate - and it also is an award-winning cookbook.  It's a great read so far, and I've already selected which recipes I want to try first.  Should be fun "experimenting"!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2005, 05:48:55 PM »

Ginny I will be interested in reading your opinion of THE JOYLUCK CLUB.  I preferred the movie to the book.

Jane

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2005, 05:54:26 PM »

Our refrigerator is freezing our food, the food in the freezer is thawing and the microwave is taking longer and longer to heat the food.  If only we could use the new appliances scattered around our house.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2005, 06:06:45 PM »

Our refrigerator is freezing our food, the food in the freezer is thawing and the microwave is taking longer and longer to heat the food.  If only we could use the new appliances scattered around our house.

Well...  Why not just put the fridge food in the freezer and vice versa?

;)

*And there's no rule saying that refrigerator has to be in a kitchen... If there's a plug nearby, I say plug them in!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2005, 06:08:31 PM »

Feel better DR DANISE!  No more trips to the ER!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2005, 06:11:40 PM »

I am watching YOUR CHEATIN' HEART - the movie about the "life" of Hank Williams.  I had never seen it.  Hmmmm.....but I knew I was in trouble (to say nothing of George Hamilton as Hank) when the credits rolled and it was a Sam Katzman/Clover production directed by Gene Nelson.

Red Buttons and Arthur O'Connell....oh my.  Well - I suppose it's as good a movie as could be expected.  The music is fine (Hank Williams, Jr sings his daddy's songs).

Watching it because I am (like DR CILLALIZ) probably going to see WALK THE LINE in the next few days.  I like Johnny Cash's music - and I really like Joaquin Phoenix - so my fingers are crossed.

I see that the soundtrack CD has Phoenix and co-star Reese Witherspoon singing the songs.....hmmmm....

Awaiting an HHW report on said film!

Jane

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2005, 06:12:15 PM »

I have to go and play with my Jane Austen action hero now.

;D

Jane

« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2005, 06:13:25 PM »

GOOD PAIN FREE VIBES DANISE!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2005, 06:17:59 PM »

Sad to hear about a store like Aron's.

Many eras are ending it seems - all right in front of our eyes.  THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »

DR vixmom - If you had had to cross the picket lines, I would have understood.  You paid good money for those tickets, and I would not have wanted you to end up wasting the money - and the trip into the city - over something you have no control over.  Heck, my parents will be making their annual trip up to see the Holiday Spectacular in a week or so with their friends.  -They take one of those day charter busses up for the day.  -Oh, but that will be after they get back from the Philippines - they've decided to take a sort of last minute trip "just because".  I think they were able to get a good deal on an airfare - they're even expediting the renewal of their passports - which they had just realized had expired last year.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2005, 06:22:06 PM »

I have still never downloaded music from the NET.

Neither have I.  Well...not EXACTLY true.  A composer put up some cues from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on his site and I downloaded/burned them onto CD.

And I daresay I'd do it again if there was anything REMOTELY tempting to me.

Of course, if you encounter something like that and want to give me a heads-up, I'll try to do the deed for you.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »

Hello, Jose!

How's it going?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up