Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T MOCK ME  (Read 17599 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DON'T MOCK ME
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2005, 07:58:11 PM »

The block where I live is now under consideration for buying by three different development companies. The occupants of the five houses have put our lowball and dream figures down on paper to see what three different development companies are willing to offer. Bids were due this weekend, so I guess when everyone gets back in town, we'll sit down and see what's being offered.

I have no GREAT desire to move, but if I was offered somewhere between the figures I named, I certainly would be moving and thus looking for a new place.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2005, 07:59:09 PM »

Finally got around to this week's RENO 911! which had some pretty good sight gags.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2005, 08:00:39 PM »

SIX FEET UNDER and QUEER AS FOLK had some very surprising developments tonight. QUEER AS FOLK has only three more episodes to go before it's over, and I'm already missing it.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2005, 08:02:34 PM »

Once QUEER AS FOLK ends, then I'll start going back and reliving the show through the DVD sets. I'm not sure when this fifth season DVD set is going to be released, but I can't believe Showtime would wait as long as they have for the other boxes (always timed to coincide with the new season premiere week).

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2005, 08:05:24 PM »

This week should be quieter on the whole so I should be able to get more DVDs watched than I was able to this past week. Looking forward to that.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2005, 08:12:35 PM »

That's some chicken!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2005, 08:15:35 PM »

Very warm here.  Auditions were okay - but one never CAN tell.

Tomorrow I start PIPPIN choreography with the fabulous MAGIC TO DO - which aptly describes what I will have to accomplish.  The director liked the set I designed and helped build - unit style - and of course his boyfriend the costume designer DIDN'T......and he still keeps telling me what the dances have to look like.  I am discouraged, but I will press on.  

Costume changes in a one-man show - how does one pass the time?  Music, jokes from the piano player, drinking?  Interesting.  Remember Judy always had a screen onstage and kept talking and throwing clothes around while she changed.

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »

DR JMK, I'm going to Portland for a meeting from Aug 3-7. It would be fun to meet you.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »

AMC showed THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY in letterbox and stereo this evening, so I taped it and cut out all the commercials.  Good movie, good music, dulled and familiar only because it has been COPIED so many times.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2005, 08:17:36 PM »

DR JRand, when does your production of PIPPIN open?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2005, 08:17:43 PM »

Tonight we had a dust storm:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2005, 08:18:57 PM »

Good to hear AMC isn't totally clueless about letterboxing movies, though I wouldn't know not having watched the channel in quite a long time now. Thanks for the info.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2005, 08:19:59 PM »

Very warm and humid.  I'LL BE BACK BEFORE MIDNIGHT sold at 82% - but had an 86% attendance rate....oh well.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2005, 08:20:25 PM »

They are filming a new NBC show "Three Wishes" in Le Mars, a town just north of here. It's known as The Ice Cream Capitol of the World. Anyway, it's been a huge buzz for a small town. Several hundred people lined up the other night to make their wishes and they are picking 3 people in town and "making their wishes come true"   I can only imagine what some of the wishes were!

Amy Grant is hosting it and gives a free concert when they are done filming. Big doings for the middle of nowhere!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2005, 08:23:04 PM »

DR JRand, when does your production of PIPPIN open?

August 11.

I will start a photo album soon and provide a link for any interested parties.  :D

It's a pretty good cast - although everyone will be dressed like a Cagelle - and hopefully tomorrow will go well.  ;D

Yes, I was pleased that AMC presented H/M that way.

I like KISMET - mostly the MUSICAL numbers, but I am horrified by Sebastian Cabot's hat - the top of which is so tall it is hardly EVER included in the CinemaScope shot - and which makes him duck when he walks through several doors.  He does it well, though.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »

Ah DRCILLALIZ - Three Wishes is also the title of a Patrick Swayze film that I enjoy VERY much!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2005, 08:24:15 PM »

Ricky Ricardo always told Lucy to "stop mucking me."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2005, 08:26:08 PM »

Cillaliz, check your email.

JR, Pippin was the first show I ever saw on Broadway.  I will never, ever forget Magic to Do.  A truly spectacular opening number.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2005, 08:27:16 PM »

Looking at INFERNO when the DVD came out, I saw that it really wasn't that much better written or performed than EARTHQUAKE. Two studios co-produced INFERNO, so it had that little something extra somehow as a production, maybe more polish in its production. I suspect it cost more to mount it (well, it had bigger stars, too).
The two studios were involved because they each had bought one of the novels the final film was based upon.  Rather than put two conflicting projects out at the same time, the studios agreed to pool their efforts.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2005, 08:35:54 PM »

JMK - got it, you should have an email in return.

JR - I love Pippin. I played Berthe and a player in our production in college. It was such fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2005, 08:36:06 PM »

Thanks for the info, DR JRand. I will put that date on the calendar for sending good wishes at the appropriate time.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2005, 08:37:45 PM »

Heading off to bed now after a long day. Hope everyone has a lovely rest of the evening. Good night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2005, 08:40:06 PM »

Ah DRCILLALIZ - Three Wishes is also the title of a Patrick Swayze film that I enjoy VERY much!

DR JRand, I'm sure it was much better than a reality show will be....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2005, 08:46:20 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back in Fairfax for the next 36 hours or so...

It took me almost six hours to get back from NYC - it's usually a four hour trip.  UGH!  There were a few fender-benders, no major accidents, but there were just a lot of people on the road today.  And then whenever the thunderstorms and torrential rains started... UGH!  However, it was nice to see everyone slowing down in the bad weather.  However, by the sixth... seventh downpour, even that got old.  But I made it back safe and sound.

...And my car is just eight miles short of the 216,000 miles mark!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2005, 08:47:13 PM »

PIPPIN promises to be memorable for MANY reasons.  I hope my choreography is one of them.

Too bad I don't have many real dancers - Indiana, you know.

CILLALIZ - I think JUST NO TIME AT ALL is the song of the show - our Berthe should be able to bring down the house with it.....even dressed as Dolly Parton - yes, yes.....I told you we were in trouble.  And with the players dressed at that point in sequined bib overalls, I really have no choice but to do a hoedown.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2005, 08:50:18 PM »

THREE WISHES with Patrick Swayze and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is a surprisingly touching and well written film - nice music as well.  If you are ever looking for a film for a quiet evening that won't challenge you, but might touch you a bit - about lost parents and sad children and dogs - that has a touch of fantasy in it...check it out.  Should be readily available at the local DVD store or Netflix.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2005, 08:51:26 PM »

And the NJ traffic cops could have given their ticket writing hand quite the workout this afternoon, if they had caught all the stupid drivers using the "official cars only" entrances between the divided section of the NJ Turnpike.  Lots of close calls there too.  And little did they know that even though they had "escaped" the slow side of the Pike, that just a few hundred feet later, the other side would slow up too.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2005, 08:52:55 PM »

In a life of many such happenings - I think Frances' greatest beau geste was her last flight from Seattle in 1954 and setting up housekeeping under her married name in Eureka, California.  

AND while his faults were legion - I still think we owe a debt to Lee Mikesell who found her and brought her back into the public eye....she might slowly drunk herself to death as an assistant in a photography shop, and never been heard from again.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2005, 08:53:01 PM »

Kevin's show was lots of fun.  He has a lovely, strong voice and there were plenty of great show tunes.  And, of course, BK's assured directorial hand was evident in the shaping of the show, the between-songs patter, and in the song selection itself. I couldn't detect many glitches other than the stuff BK mentioned and probably not everything he caught.  But I did see the "Staging Nazi" writing his notes and he didn't have all that many on his pad.  Hope the very appreciative audience gave Kevin a feeling for his show tomorrow and got him through any bouts of nerves or last minutes adjustments.  We, in the audience, had a swell time.

And we Pogues at a swell time at din-din, catching up with BK and trading adventures of our travels with his adventures here at home.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2005, 08:53:58 PM »

...And while walking around midtown this afternoon, I happened to run into (recent Tony nominee) Erin Dilly on her way her matinee of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  It was nice seeing her again - even if it was just for a moment or two.  Hopefully,we'll be able to get together now that I'm "up in the City".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up