Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T MOCK ME  (Read 17051 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DON'T MOCK ME
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2005, 03:08:03 PM »

When EARTHQUAKE and THE TOWERING INFERNO were released fairly close together, I was SO impressed with INFERNO and found EARTHQUAKE (apart from the wonderful Sensurround rumbling effects) pretty embarrassing as drama.

Looking at INFERNO when the DVD came out, I saw that it really wasn't that much better written or performed than EARTHQUAKE. Two studios co-produced INFERNO, so it had that little something extra somehow as a production, maybe more polish in its production. I suspect it cost more to mount it (well, it had bigger stars, too).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »

Off now to watch the last MONK episode on Disc 3. And I have a couple of 30 minute shows on the DVR I need to watch and clear off, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2005, 03:10:42 PM »

JMK, didn't know that about Frances and Beau Geste. Of course, not sure why she would have wanted the role.  A rather thankless part, all told.

Which is why she didn't take it.  This was right after Golden Boy, and she had already done the potboiler Ride a Crooked Mile in a vain attempt to promote her husband's career.  She evidently actually got to the costume test stage of Beau Geste before she got out of it and headed back east for what was supposed to be a Group Theater production of Three Sisters (it never materialized).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2005, 03:11:24 PM »

I got a free ticket to see the film version of Bewitched when I bought the DVDs for Season One of tv version. Just got back from seeing it. The film was worth ever cent I paid to go see it
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2005, 03:12:08 PM »

Wouldn't Francis as Beau Geste been a little, well, odd?  I suppose they could have rewritten it as Belle Geste, but it wouldn't have the same je ne sais quoi, would it?

;D

You've obviously never seen Frances "in action."   :o

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2005, 03:25:12 PM »

Just finished cooking (and eating with my family) a summer dinner of fried chicken and corn on the cob.  My version of fried chicken does NOT involve the use of my cast iron skillet  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2005, 03:42:56 PM »

Just finished cooking (and eating with my family) a summer dinner of fried chicken and corn on the cob.  My version of fried chicken does NOT involve the use of my cast iron skillet  ;)

Did it at least involve a chicken?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2005, 03:54:27 PM »

DR Jane's recipe for Fried Chicken probably just has the iron skillet.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2005, 03:56:41 PM »

I shall be visiting DR OzDerek in a few hours time. I shall pass on sundried greetings. He is at home today (which is not a good sign!) and is supposed to be crossing the sea to Tasmania tomorrow.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2005, 03:58:16 PM »

Did it at least involve a chicken?

Yes, quite an odd chicken, at that, because I fried 6 breasts and 8 thighs!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2005, 03:59:10 PM »

DR Tomovoz, please give my best to DR OzDerek.

Jed

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »

Dang it, every time people start talking about fried chicken around here I get a big time craving! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2005, 04:15:42 PM »

I shall be visiting DR OzDerek in a few hours time. I shall pass on sundried greetings. He is at home today (which is not a good sign!) and is supposed to be crossing the sea to Tasmania tomorrow.

DRTomovoz, take him our positive vibes and good wishes!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2005, 04:16:58 PM »

Yes, quite an odd chicken, at that, because I fried 6 breasts and 8 thighs!

A thalidomide chicken?  Remember the toxic lobster on THE NANNY?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2005, 04:22:44 PM »

Dang it, every time people start talking about fried chicken around here I get a big time craving! :D

Get thee to a Kentucky Fried Chicken!

When I was in grad school I lived on High Street in Oxford, OH, over a place called Chick-a-lick. which my theatre friends called f*$%-a-duck.  The fowl was foul but the ice cream was from heaven.  All three of my rooms smelled like chicken grease.  When I started working at Barnes & Noble in 1998, I was talking to the manager who hired me one night and it turned out we went to Miami University.  At one point she mentioned her apartment and I asked her where it was.  Over a fried chicken place on High Street!

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »

My illusions have been shattered. Turns out the Gingham Inn now uses electric skillets instead of cast iron....woe is me!!!!!

But it still tastes great. Just salt pepper and flour then fried in oil or some sort of shortening.  It was SOOO good.  

I did find out the secret. They use fresh chickens that have never been frozen.  I was able to bring a few pieces home, so I'm having it again for dinner.

Thanks all for the comments on the photo. The lake was nice today. Overcast (I hate the blazing sun)  and the water was just the right temperature. Had a nice dip in the lake and then headed back home just before it started raining and thundering.  

It was a nice day.

Cillaliz

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2005, 04:53:05 PM »

It's still thundering, think I'll get off line for awhile.

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2005, 04:53:06 PM »

When I lived in London in 1973 I lived above a Chinese "take away" shop in Highbury. I don't eat chinese food at all these days. For those who know London, it was right near Arsenal Football ground. My first three months of that year I lived in East Hampstead - worlds apart!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2005, 04:57:44 PM »

I've just packed the OzDerek vibes into the car. I hope to be back on line before the new notes. Have a good evening everyone.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2005, 06:01:13 PM »

;D  Not even that anymore.  Awhile back we gave away our iron skillet.  The thing weighed a ton so I never used it.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2005, 06:05:15 PM »

Continued good vibes for OzDerek.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »

This afternoon we saw a very “interesting” movie, 3-IRON.  Has anyone seen this yet?

Following the movie we stopped in our local bookstore and saw photos from the Harry Potter midnight madness.  There were even witches amongst the 300 customers ;D.  Not a single Harry Potter book was on the shelf.  There were still reserved books in the back room which had not been collected.  There was also one book a customer had cancelled just prior to our walking in the store.  Now unexpectedly I have my own copy. :D

Keith will wait for the movie.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2005, 06:14:47 PM »

I got a free ticket to see the film version of Bewitched when I bought the DVDs for Season One of tv version. Just got back from seeing it. The film was worth ever cent I paid to go see it

I'm encouraged you didn't say they should have paid you to watch the movie.  Maybe we will watch the DVD, for a few minutes at least.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2005, 06:15:13 PM »

There was also one book a customer had cancelled just prior to our walking in the store.  Now unexpectedly I have my own copy. :D

Jane, I'd say you were in the right place at the right time - happy reading!

Jane

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2005, 06:35:59 PM »

Thanks Ginny.  At the moment I'm browsing the Harry Potter links my niece sent me and refreshing my memory.

JMK

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2005, 06:59:37 PM »

We spent several hours this afternoon house hunting "just in case."  We are amazed by the crap (technical term) out there being offered for upwards of $700K.  On the other hand, we saw a truly stunning home at the top of Council Crest (the highest place in Portland) that had been on the market for over a year, which has had its price reduced from $1,300,000 to $895K.  The realtor literally followed me from room to room telling me how many times the price had been reduced and how "motivated" (read:  desperate ;) ) the sellers were.  So now Betsy and I are deciding if we should lowball them just to see if they'd accept.  It's a really incredible house with one of the greatest views I've ever experienced in Portland--everything north (past St. Helens) and east (past Hood).

There is another house I went through I love, for a "mere" $635K, but it's quite close to 26W and there's that constant ambient traffic noise.  This house, however, has an olympic sized pool in the backyard.

And we don't actually know if we're going to sell this house anyway, so I guess it's all premature.   ::)

JMK

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2005, 07:01:50 PM »

The other funny thing that happened today was every realtor at the open houses telling us how fast everything was moving and if we were interested, we'd better make an offer.  Then we'd ask how long that particular house had been on the market.  Each and every one had been on the market for months, if not over a year, and had had its price reduced several times.  Methinks the bubble may have started to burst.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2005, 07:35:23 PM »

JMK the original asking prices of the homes may have been too high for the market, even for a high market.  Our neighbor’s home is going up for sale this week and their asking price will be higher than the, very reputable, realtors suggested asking price.  

Have fun looking at homes even if you don’t move.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2005, 07:52:32 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Today's dress rehearsal went very well, I thought.  I insisted on doing this in front of people, because I knew Kevin needed one show before the actual performance where he could be nervous and forget certain moves and things, which all happened and now it is out of his system, which is great.  I had very few notes afterwards, mostly about technical stuff within songs - builds, not doing too much "acting", stuff like that, and just correcting the few things where he'd done the wrong blocking (in thanking me today, he affectionately called me the Nazi Stager, which is completely true).   His costume changes in act two were too long, so we'll be working on that at the theater tomorrow.  But, little things aside, he did really well, got lots of laughs, sang his little heart out and the whole thing moved right along.  It will get smoother as he gets comfortable playing to audiences.  I'll let Pogue tell you more about it.

Afterwards, the Pogues and I went for a nice meal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up