Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: CHERRY RIPE  (Read 34184 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:CHERRY RIPE
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »

TCB-I am so sorry.  I hope you win.  Do you have friends there to spread the word you were not invited?  Such a petty person.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2007, 08:00:53 PM »

I was reading in the GLORIOUS ONES Playbill from Pittsburgh that Lynn Ahrens actually started working on that Commedia dell'Arte musical (at that time with another collaborator in the BMI Workshop, not with Stephen Flaherty) in 1983.  That collaborator subsequently gave Lynn Ahrens her blessing to pick up the project with Stephen Flaherty.  So Lynn Ahrens' involvement with adapting a novel about Commedia dell'Arte seems to date back to 1983.  Noel, is it possible you were working on your Commedia dell'Arte musical with Tony Kushner around the same time, since yours appears to have first been seen in a university production in December 1983?  If so, again, it seems there's no need to be concerned that anyone copied your show's idea.  And of course, their show is based on a novel that predated 1983.

I don't think DR Noel was concerned about anyone copying his idea..

But nobody should think I'm put off when other musical writers follow in my footsteps.  Happens constantly.  This year alone:

I think he was just pointing out there really is no truly original plot nowadays - in a good sense - and it just so happens that a few his works have had similar themes with works that have come before him and after him.  The originality comes in how the authors choose to tell the tale.

I mean, if we were only restricted to one "Boy meet girl" Plot, well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2007, 08:01:12 PM »

Thanks, Amy.  I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself.

I would feel the same way, you should be there.

Jane

« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2007, 08:02:51 PM »

I didn't recognize Holly Hunter when I first saw the commercial for Saving Grace.  It could be the blond hair.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2007, 08:02:57 PM »

Positive mixed review indeed DR Jose.  I was lucky enough to see the AL version in London.  I truly believed her "Rose".  I've seen quite a few others try. It's such a balancing act and requires something truly special - not just a knock-out performance of the songs.  On film (despite the fact that I am not a fan usually) I wish Midler had got it right. I still prefer the flawed Ros. film.

In the review there was a mention of "Sliding around the notes" (or something similar). Maybe that's why I do not care for the Star's voice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 08:08:37 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »

DR TCB - Well, I bet none of your "colleagues", if they can be called that, had the recent opportunity to see the WSMA in the Las Vegas Phantom, and meet with him after the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2007, 08:04:34 PM »

...And I'm sure none of them have a signed 8x10 from another very sexy actor hanging on their walls.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

Positive mixed review indeed DR Jose.  I was lucky enough to see the AL version in London.  I truly believed her "Rose".  I've seen quite a few others try. It's such a balancing act and requires something truly special - not just a knock-out performance of the songs.  On film (despite the fac that I am not a fan usually) I wish Midler had got it right. i still prefer the flawed Ros. film.

In the review there was amnetion of "Sliding around the notes" (or something similar). Maybe that's why I do not care for the Star's voice.

"amnetion" - Cool!  For a second there, I almost thought that was a real word, sort of related to "enmity".  ;)

-And I also wish Midler had gotten it right.  However, I think she would have gotten right with a better and stronger director.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »

Proof reading is something I've never done well. LOL.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #309 on: July 15, 2007, 08:12:12 PM »

...I think he was just pointing out there really is no truly original plot nowadays...

What???   You mean "All Shook Up" wasn't an original plot???
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2007, 08:18:49 PM »

Welcome, new Dear Reader Julie. Do you like Cherry Coke?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »

And here's Brantley's review of Patti LuPone on Gypsy.

What Ever Happened to Momma Rose?

It's sort of a positive-mixed review.  I'm more confused by it than anything else.

Ouch!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »

Vacation Bible School ended on Friday. Supposedly, we were recreating Galilee at the time Jesus was alive. We failed spectacularly. I was a co-leader of the tribe of Naphtali.

For the past few days, I have been very busy with my Harry Potter read-down, which is like a count-down, but with reading. I've just started Order of the Phoenix.

That's all the news.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

3D-I don't remember asking if you have any pets, or that you mentioned having any.  Do you?

Cillaliz

« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »

Don't like what I'm seeing on the hotel front for the end of September.   My rewards points aren't going to help any that week...I may have to wait and see how things are going before I make any plans

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »

I suggest we have a pet roll call one of these days.

Good idea. I have two cats, one of whom is asleep near my feet. His name is Rexy a.k.a. Crouton a.k.a. Gina, and for the past few days, he has smelled like Band-Aids. I have no idea why.

My other cat is the lovely lady in my avatar. Her name is Sasha and she is too dignified to smell like Band-Aids.

Jane

« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »

DR Sandra, I'm impressed you are re-reading all the books.  I expect the plan is to be have them completed by Friday night.  I plan on going on-line for a semi-quick recap.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2007, 08:26:58 PM »

But all the precious children had fun, DR Sandra. Even if we had all the details wrong.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »

I did manage to take about a one hour nap, awakened by the ringing of the telephone. If someone hadn't called, I most certainly would have slept for several hours. I was out cold.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »

I began the evening viewing by watching the remainder of BATMAN BEGINS. Always entertaining and it was nice to see it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #320 on: July 15, 2007, 08:32:57 PM »

Next, I put in that new Miramax animated film RENAISSANCE. It's kind of a mixture of the motion capture animation of THE POLAR EXPRESS with the graphic novel, highly contrasted look of SIN CITY, all with the feel of BLADE RUNNER.

To say it was unusual is to put it mildly. I have never seen anything quite like it: an animated film noir in every possible way.

Cillaliz

« Reply #321 on: July 15, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »

I like the roll call idea too, I have 2 cats Callie Sue Marie and Boo Boo.   Callie is a calico diva who needs meds twice a day. She enjoys bonita flakes and being waited on. Boo Boo is a tuxedo cat who adopted me a little over a year ago. She enjoys playing and playing and playing and sleeping and playing and "hey! why aren't we playing??"  She likes to wake me up by purring and curling up with me.

Jane

« Reply #322 on: July 15, 2007, 08:33:58 PM »

I was going to post one of Sherlock's baby photos & discovered Keith never transferred the photos from my old laptop to this new one.  

He is blowing his adolescent coat.  This morning while I was making the bed there was as much hair to remove as when we had one dog & 4 cats.  It almost made me miss the petless days when it only took a minute to make the bed, instead of 10 minutes. ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2007, 08:34:06 PM »

Don't like what I'm seeing on the hotel front for the end of September.   My rewards points aren't going to help any that week...I may have to wait and see how things are going before I make any plans

Hmm.. Maybe a couple of DRs could share an apartment for the week or so and split the costs.  A friend and his partner just came up last week to help a friend who was in town for some medical treatments.  They somehow found a very nice temporary apartment on the East Side for only $145/day - which is less than half of what most hotels are going for right now.  And it had two bedrooms, and one and a half baths - as well as a full, new kitchen and a balcony(!).  I could check to see which company they went through if that option appeals to any DRs.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »

I then watched the "making of" feature that was on the disc. This was a French production, so the documentary was in French with English subtitles. The movie itself was dubbed into English with such people as Daniel Craig, Jonathan Pryce, and Ian Holm in the voice cast list. None of them were featured in the documentary. Instead we see the French actors who were the motion capture models for the animation.

Jane

« Reply #325 on: July 15, 2007, 08:35:43 PM »

For the newbies, I forgot to mention Sherlock will be one year old on July 29th.  He is the dog I couldn't resist after saying no more pets.  At 100 pounds he is just a big sweet growing boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #326 on: July 15, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »

Mr. Brantley has indeed written a very strange review.  However, I can not believe that Patti was pleased with that review in any way, shape or form.

I was interested to read, in one of the other reviews, that Arthur Laurents had previously forbidden Patti permission to play that role.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #327 on: July 15, 2007, 08:36:26 PM »

Hmm.. Maybe a couple of DRs could share an apartment for the week or so and split the costs.  A friend and his partner just came up last week to help a friend who was in town for some medical treatments.  They somehow found a very nice temporary apartment on the East Side for only $145/day - which is less than half of what most hotels are going for right now.  And it had two bedrooms, and one and a half baths - as well as a full, new kitchen and a balcony(!).  I could check to see which company they went through if that option appeals to any DRs.

That's a good idea.  I have no problem sharing an apartment or a hotel room with 2 beds, but this sounds better.  I'm not sure how long I can stay, but a cheaper room will make it easier to stay a bit longer.  

Matt H.

« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2007, 08:36:47 PM »

Next, I watched tonight's ENTOURAGE with Johnny going to extremes to get a cool hat to youthen his image, and Eric and the director having another public brawl. OK episode, but drug humor just isn't funny to me. I did enjoy Ari and Lloyd's shenanigans.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #329 on: July 15, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »

In the meantime, my desk is now clear.  More or less.  I've sorted out all the junk mail, filed the pay stubs, and organized the bills.  -And put a bunch of junk mail in the recycling bin.

And I think I'm just gonna take it nice and easy over the next couple of hours.  Heck, I might not even sleep since my train leaves at 6:00am.  We'll see.  All I have left to do is pack, and make a list - mental or otherwise - of things I want to accomplish while I'm down in Virginia the next couple of days.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up