Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PARENTING 101  (Read 13203 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: PARENTING 101
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »

Time to take a shower and get to work...and Elmore's CDs! :D

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »

Well, no one can say we didn't get to page three.  I so do not want to go to this meeting this morning.  We'll see how it and our Monday morning conference call goes, but the fact is I may have reached my saturation point with this show - I'm not sure if I have the energy to spend another number of months with too many phone calls, too many meetings - even if the drama was not in evidence - and I'm not sure the latter will ever be gone.  We'll see how today goes.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »

The theater has become an extension of people's entertainment rooms at home.  It happened with movie theaters forty years ago, and now it's happened with live theater, and I blame some of it on Disney and the way they brought Beauty and the Beast to B'way as if it were a movie onstage.  Even thirty years ago (maybe even twenty or ten) you were not allowed to bring food of ANY sort into a live theater.  What's next, nachos?

I remember going to see OKLAHOMA! (the movie), which was initially a "hard ticket" release. and men were wearing coat & tie.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »

I must disagree about having it all.  It can be done, with patience and careful planning.  Betsy and I specifically geared our work schedules for the first few years of the kids' lives so that there was ALWAYS at least one parent home ALL THE TIME.  Yes, it meant some sacrificing and schedule shifting, but we did it.  We still make sure one of us is home after the kids get home from school--it's usually, but not always, me.  And Betsy and I both have fairly successful careers.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »

Now for my semi-exciting Yesterday's Qwest Adventure:

When I placed my order, I was told in no uncertain terms the new phone would be active at 8 a.m. and the internets by 5 p.m.  When at 11 or so I had no phone, I called and they said it would be done by 12:11 p.m. (Yes, that exact).  I waited until 12:30 and nothing.  Called back, they said it would be done by 2:07 (I'm not making this up).  Waited until about 2:30, and then entered my own personal Kafka story.  Calling Qwest's 800 number I got a recording telling me their offices had closed and to please call their 800 number (the very number I was calling).  After about 45 minutes of that nonsense, I finally got through to a woman in Boise who told me (ready for the unintentional irony?) they were having phone problems.  She couldn't transfer me to repair but gave me the 800 number.  I called and within about 30 minutes two VERY nice female techs showed up and started testing my lines (not a euphemism).  Here's where my stupid mistake comes into play--it turns out I had plugged the cordless into the socket with the wrong adapter, so the phone was not working.  But they did discover several anomalies with the duplex jacks here which they fixed.  They could not, however, get my DSL up and running.  So finally about 6:00 a DSL tech came and got that working.

Whilst all of this was going on, the movers were shlepping and the DirecTV installer was busy drilling through my downspout (not a euphemism).

So I don't want to hear any complaints about HHW tsuris, got me?  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »

No, it wasn't always like that - it's why I went on, at length, about my early theatergoing experiences in Kritzer Time - I wanted kids who read the book to know what it was like to experience theater - seeing it, sitting in a theater, and the fact that the audience did not behave like they were watching a wrestling match.

I recall that, when I was growing up and we went to the theater...even community theater...men wore a coat & tie.

Today, you see jeans and a t-shirt.

:(

I still always dress for the theatre.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »

I must disagree about having it all.  It can be done, with patience and careful planning.  Betsy and I specifically geared our work schedules for the first few years of the kids' lives so that there was ALWAYS at least one parent home ALL THE TIME.  Yes, it meant some sacrificing and schedule shifting, but we did it.  We still make sure one of us is home after the kids get home from school--it's usually, but not always, me.  And Betsy and I both have fairly successful careers.

If you're sacrificing, you're not having it all.  I'm talking about self-absorbed parents who think they can go about their careers and lives just like when before they had children.  Be absent parents and hand the kids off to the nanny.  They think their only responsibility becomes financial which usually ends up meaning, a spoiled, entitled child with no boundaries and discipline or self-restraint.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »

If you're on Facebook and like "Law & Order," please come join this group:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=122290997794858&ref=mf
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »

I think BK covered essentially ALL the horrors of current parenting trends among the rich.

I wonder what the simple folk do?  

To me what BK described cannot be the norm except either in LA or with very rich people. Most people don't have nannies.

I'm sure there are spoiled kids everywhere. But almost all the parents i see are very loving and spend a lot of time with their kids.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »

DR Jennifer, I meant do you purchase the saran wrapped gefilte fish at a deli.  Then you also see it in cans?  I've never seen it in cans & only fresh at a deli, not a super market.

I've not seen it in cans. And i get it at the grocery store.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »

Here is a question for all you classical music turned musical theatre savvy people.  I just heard on the "Musical Talk" podcast a reference to Coplands "The Tender Land" being associated with Rogers and Hammerstein.  How are "The Tender Land" and Rogers and Hammerstein connected?

Oh, hello everyone!  Happy Friday!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »

Here is a question for all you classical music turned musical theatre savvy people.  I just heard on the "Musical Talk" podcast a reference to Coplands "The Tender Land" being associated with Rogers and Hammerstein.  How are "The Tender Land" and Rogers and Hammerstein connected?

Were they the producers?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »

You can have beer and nachos at the Murat Theatre and watch JErSEY BOYS next weekend...."direct from Broadway" - and you don't even have to wait until intermission to buy them....you can wander in and out of the auditorium any time you damn well please.

Yes, DR CP and I both wore jackets to BRAINEX Indiana style.....sometimes I wear a casual shirt and sandals to PCPH, a BARN theatre....and I dress casually if I'm giving the curtain speech, so people don't think they have to get ALL gussied up to come and see us.....

I don't know why there is no respect for anything, anybody, or any event....anymore....generally.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »

Were they the producers?

RoDgers and Hammerstein commissioned the piece, another example that real talent fosters other real talent.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »

Were they the producers?

RoDgers and Hammerstein commissioned the piece, another example that real talent fosters other real talent.

Thanks, DR JMK  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »

The harp tsuris will continue for a while, but the emails have ceased for the nonce.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »

Good afternoon. A glorious morning, which I spent walking around some new sewage ponds. I witnessed some excellent parents this morning -- both parents were caring for the children. They were coots.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

Now I  am watching another excellent parent: Jeanne, teaching her children how to eat kibble.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »

Is there an HHW conflab going on somewhere?

It's been an hour and a half since the last post!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2010, 02:45:34 PM »

I had a dream...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »

I dreamed it for you, June...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »

It wasn't for me, Herbie...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »

..and if it wasn't for me...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »

...just where would you be...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »

,,,Miss Gypsy Rose Lee?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »

Well, someone tell me when is it my turn...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »

Don't I get a dream for myself?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »

Startin' now it's gonna be my turn

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

Gangway, world, get off of my runway

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »

Startin' now I bat a thousand...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up