Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MACARONI AND CHEESE NOTES  (Read 48626 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE MACARONI AND CHEESE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2004, 05:04:46 PM »

My best bud Ron is coming over shortly and then we will be off to have some dinner. Will stop at Hollywood video and pick up a double feature. He WILL NOT let me pick the movies. I don't know why? All my friends are like that and it just isn't fair. LOL!

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2004, 05:11:43 PM »

I assume Your best bud does not speak Hindi.
I have the same problems with my selection of music - Eurovision!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2004, 05:15:07 PM »

John Stevens and Manilow...the bland meeting the bland.  If Stevens can't stay around another week singing Manilow, then there is no hope for him.  Manilow should be able to cultivate a nice white bread performance from him.

Bruce, I was rather indifferent to THE CAT'S MEOW...did see it all the way through.  But the fact is the whole Ince/Chaplin/Hearst shooting has pretty much been officially debunked and proven fiction.

Lot of DVD choices as I was at a Fox meeting today so swung by Lazer Blazer...got Flesh+Blood,my favourite Verhoeven movie before he went Hollywood slick  (he's a very interesting guy actually...had some meetings with him over the years); Dangerous Beauty,
Jolson Sings Again, Sleuth, the serial Drums of Fu Manchu, and the complete Yes, Minister TV series....one of my favourite TV series (It was used and half-price...but Bruce is right.  Their prices are much better than Amoeba).  I watched the interview extra with Anthony Shaffer on the Sleuth DVD which is quite entertaining.

Music:  I expect Lovely Wife & I might sit out on the balcony for sunset tonight and listen to Mr. Kimmel's version of Drat! The Cat! which we haven't had a chance to hear yet.

I may listen to my own oral history of my years in the University of Kentucky theatre department which Julieanne brought back from Lexingotn on three tapes in my car tape deck.

By the by, elmore, re: your question the other day, there was indeed a Pogue's Department Store in Cincy...long gone...I suspect all the Pogues in the Cincy/Ky area were related as we came in with Dan'l Boone (there's a Pogue...sometimes spelt Poage...cabin at Harrodsburg), but I wasn't closely enough related that I was going to inherit any money from them.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2004, 05:29:19 PM »

Noel & William Orr:  I love Cassidy's number "You're The Woman for the Man Who Has Everything" from Superman.

Robin: People of the Mist is a rather good read, as I remember, one of Haggard's better ones.  I myself am revisiting THE WORLD'S DESIRE at the moment by Haggard and Andrew Lang, which has haunted me since I first read it...I may like it best of his, after SHE.  And speaking of SHE, I am also reading A POUND OF PAPER, Confessions of a Book Addict by John Baxter, which I am in...in the index where he asks various notable book collectors what one book they'd save if their house caught on fire and explain why...My pick was one of my two first editions of SHE.

BK, apparently my manager was at the Masada thing last night.  She handles one of the lyricists.  She said some baritone had her in tears three times..our very own Mr. Barrett, I presume?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2004, 05:37:25 PM »

Yes, it would have been Brent.  I'm glad someone was in tears.  She must handle David Goldsmith.  He's talented and he did a good job - but the project has really big problems.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2004, 05:42:17 PM »

Oh, well....yes, I am no longer with the Indiana Dept of Labor.  I thought I posed that.  Hmmmmmmm.....my memory is gone....I must have blocked the whole thing out!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2004, 06:00:50 PM »

I thought that news must have been posted when I was away. We need to know where the family is Jack.
Hope the new job works out really well for you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2004, 06:02:03 PM »

CD – Protest songs of the sixties
DVD-SCARFACE: 20th anniversary edition-Keith’s pick, not mine
TIVO- JOAN OF ACADIA
         THE TALL TARGET: 1951 with Dick Powell, Adolphe Menjou, Paula Raymond,          
                                       Marshall Thompson, Ruby Dee & Will Geer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2004, 06:02:05 PM »

Dear Friend BK, I believe the Jodie you met was Jodie Langel, who just wrote a book about making it on Broadway with my friend David Wienir.  Her book credit says she's now going to school in Los Angeles.  I saw her in Eli Bolin's musical I SING, which I was asked to orchestrate when it was still called ALL THE CHILDREN SING.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2004, 06:04:43 PM »

Yes, that's probably who it was.  She told me that most of the people she interviewed has mentioned me, which I thought was very nice.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2004, 06:08:06 PM »

Yeah, Goldsmith is who she handles.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2004, 07:01:46 PM »

No posts in an hour?  How bizarre.

I've got a stew burbling in the oven, should be ready soon.  Time to make fresh biscuits!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »

I've got a stew burbling in the oven, should be ready soon.  Time to make fresh biscuits!

Could I go live at your house, please?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2004, 08:09:28 PM »

That's what I'M talkin' about - no posts in an hour.  

I'm in Leone heaven - got an advance of the new SE of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.  Yummilicious.  Full report tomorrow.

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2004, 08:10:17 PM »

I couldn't log on to the forum when I tried at 9pm eastern. Not sure if that is why there were no posts.

I'm off to bed now.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2004, 08:13:19 PM »

Well, fellow dear readers, today I am annoyed. Oh, yes, I am annoyed.

On Monday I will be asking for assertiveness vibes, as there is a phone call I will have to make.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2004, 08:13:51 PM »

I have had a DVD Day today. After watching MURDER BY DEATH and then KISS ME DEADLY (it looked good, too, and Ralph Meeker made a fine, tough Hammer). After that came DOUBLE INDEMNITY, but I thought that transfer was very poor. Looks like it must have been one of Universal's earliest DVD transfers, and I suspect they used an old video master rather than doing a new transfer for DVD. It didn't have the smoothness and sharpness of their SUNSET BOULEVARD.

After that went off, I put in GREASE. Another transfer obviously duped from a previously produced master, not done expressly for DVD. Only watched about 20 minutes of it before flipping on COLD CASE, so I'll finish GREASE tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2004, 08:19:38 PM »

Could I go live at your house, please?
Well, it would be one way to avoid your meetings, I suppose.

;D

Stew:  toss a couple of pounds of cubed stew beef in flour, then brownin bactches in an iron skillet.  Preheat oven while this is going on, about 400 should do it.  When the beef has been browned, throw in a few handfulls of pre-peeled/cut carrots, a couple of diced taters, and an onion (sliced the long way into big chunks).  Pour in a couple of cans of beef broth, add some fresh thyme, salt and pepper, then slap a lid on it and into the oven it goes.  (The lid from the Dutch oven works great.)  Let it do it's thing for a couple of hours, check on what's happening and give a stir.  Most of the liquid should have been absorbed; this is not a brothy stew.

The biscuits were simple Bisquick biscuits, served with lots of butter.  They were exactly what I needed to complement the stew.

We ate quite happily, while watching the Brennan family on FoodTV's Into the Fire, one of the best documentary series running these days.  A lot of people could learn a lot about how to run a business from those ladies, and not just how to run a restaurant.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2004, 09:08:03 PM »

Well, fellow dear readers, today I am annoyed. Oh, yes, I am annoyed.

And what is the source of your annoyance?  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2004, 09:29:19 PM »

The source of my annoyance at the moment:

Insomnia.  

It doesn't strike me often, but when it does. . . .
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2004, 09:35:36 PM »

Coming up at the end of the month, from April 30th to May 2nd, is the Second Annual Rehoboth Beach Cabaret Fest.  Several of the restaurants in town are hosting a wide array of cabaret acts.  Der Brucer has spotted one in particular, and is wondering if anyone has heard of them:

"Susan Campanero and Robby Stamper will be "back again," performing at Adriatico.  Campanero and Stamper are both on staff at the Duplex, New York's oldest cabaret and piano bar.  They'll be bringing a unique piece of New York to Rehoboth Beach, by performing their popular blend of 60s, 70s, and 80s hits, flavored with menorable Broadway show tunes.  For the past five years, their irreverent brand of improvisational humor and audience participation antics have enteretained hometown New Yorkers and visitors from all over the world."

Kerry

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2004, 09:52:56 PM »

I've read the notes but haven't read the posts yet.  

I've got Darrin Baker's "What's a Nice Girl Like You..."  in the CD player.  It's a nice bunch of duets with some good people  (some from the BK stable of stars).

Also have a CD of a very young singer named Tim Krall (or something like that -- it's in the car)  from Australia.  He's very talented.   I like some of the pieces better than others; he's too young for some of the ballads.  He does a nice job, but he does what a lot of 17 (or however old he is now) year olds do.  He sings stuff that needs some life experience behind it to make it believable.   I would have done the same thing at that age too if I'd had any talent.   God knows, at that age I used to walk around singing things like "Stormy Weather" and "The Man That Got Away"  with great angst and feeling thinking I knew what I was singing about.  Who knows.... maybe I did.

I've recorded some things on the VCR, but I have no idea what they are.

Last DVD's I watched were "Kissing Jessica Stein" and "Broken Hearts Club."

So This must mean I'm still alive.  I donned my pointy party hat and pantaloons yesterday to celebrate the first anniversary of finally meeting and dining with the fabulous BK.

Today, I'm celebrating the first anniversary of seeing and meeting Elaine Stritch, Sheree North and my good friend George Chakiris ( I kind of got the impression we could have become  good friends that night  ;)   It's hard to believe that a whole year has gone by since Dear Readers Laura and MusicGuy and I were in LA.  Ah well, back to reality.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 10:44:35 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2004, 09:55:08 PM »

Am having computer problems.

How/why/where they came from I couldn't begin to say.  I wiped my computer clean last fall and only accept e-mails from folks I know/trust.  I have all attachments stripped from e-mails coming in.  I only visit sites I know/trust, as well.

But I do follow news links on MSNBC.  

At any rate, some strange icons started popping up, and before I knew it, I was overwhelmed.

It took my 35 minutes to make an internet connection tonight...and I don't think it was "me" doing it.  The hard drive seems to have acquired a life of its own.

I'm guessing I'll have to do another clean wipe, so it may be days before I'm back.

Meanwhile, some thoughts:

How long has it been since anyone bought an alarm clock that he or she had to wind daily????  How many of our younger members even remember windup clocks??

Going further back, and involving more members, who doesn't remember television sets with channel selection knobs that went from 2 to 13 and then had VHF/UHF tuning, as well?????

I was reminiscing today with photos...and saw things like that in them.  Artifacts.  Relics.  And where are they now?

I'm sure I have a windup clock or two somewhere around here...I MUST have.  I never threw any away.

EBay, here I come...some day.

Watched "Howard's End" in the splendor of DTS stereo and widescreen this afternoon.  Followed it up with my first viewing of "Big Red" since seeing it in a theater back in the early 60s.  Nice film!  

Had a great day off, again.  Wonderful to laze around.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2004, 10:01:16 PM »

Aha!  For more on the Cabaret Fest, there is a link!  (Isn't there always?)

What with the Food and Wine Festival the previous weekend, this is turning into a hopping place to live!

This post is filled with exclamation marks!

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2004, 10:02:48 PM »

The source of my annoyance is general contractors who do nothing when subcontractors don't finish a job, which causes city zoning inspectors to call because the work is left incomplete.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2004, 10:06:54 PM »

Going further back, and involving more members, who doesn't remember television sets with channel selection knobs that went from 2 to 13 and then had VHF/UHF tuning, as well?????
Heck, I can remember my Grandfather's remote on his television set.  It was connected to the set with a half-inch thick wire, and had the knob on the remote itself, which was a box that sat on his end-table.

Oh, and the television set itself was black and white.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2004, 10:08:49 PM »

Dear Reader Laura: Are you sure the General Contractor is paying the subcontractors?  Because that was part of our problem in getting our house built.

Jed

« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2004, 10:23:24 PM »

Meanwhile, some thoughts:

How long has it been since anyone bought an alarm clock that he or she had to wind daily????  How many of our younger members even remember windup clocks??
Gotta admit, the only wind-up clock I've ever used was at my grandparents' house.

I very much remember our channel 2 through 13 TV.  A behemoth of a Zenith, it was.  Ours had pushbuttons, however, instead of a dial.  As I recall, you could open up the flap and adjust the tuning so that you could pick up higher number UHF stations through those 2-13 VHF buttons.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2004, 10:26:35 PM »

DR Kerry: Tim Draxl!
Not as talented as David Campbell I think but indeed quite pleasant - he has been involved in film and TV drama work for the past two years.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2004, 10:27:31 PM »

They've replaced wind up clocks?
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up