Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: REVITALIZING THE PROSE  (Read 22957 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:REVITALIZING THE PROSE
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2004, 09:33:14 AM »

No problems here DRJane.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2004, 09:34:32 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES POGUE!![/move]

Jane

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2004, 09:42:21 AM »

My photo may appear strange for a bit.  I'm having a Stepford-kind-of-day.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2004, 10:00:48 AM »

A lovely snow to wipe away the gloom of yesterday.

I thank all the birthday well-wishers, and wish a good birthday to DR Charles Pogue
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2004, 10:07:09 AM »

I think you (Noel) have a right to give your opinion. I did not take your post as saying you didn't think gays had family values. To me you were just saying why you believed the show failed.

DR Noel, I wasn't offended, but I can understand how others believed you were basing your observation on a notion that gay men and lesbians may have stayed away from a play about the angst of impending parenthood out of a lack of interest...NOT that there were none with interest but that they might not embrace it the way they would other topics.

What apparently matters -- and it's just my opinion (and Jennifer has stated I should be free to give it) -- is that Jennifer, with her vast understanding of the homosexual experience and sensibilities, didn't take offense, so it's quite obvious that everyone who did is just wrong.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 10:15:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2004, 10:16:21 AM »

Allow me to join the Academy and all the Guilds of Hollywood in wishing Dear Reader Charles Pogue a very happy birthday.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2004, 10:17:01 AM »

I also join the American Theatre Wing and Equity in wishing Dear Reader Noel a belated happy birthday.

Jay

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2004, 10:18:28 AM »

Dear Reader Penny-O--

Although your posts still read like you should try decaf now and then, I see that your picture has been un-play-dohed and you....look.....mahvelous.

Jay

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »

Well, there weren't any trumpets.  (Oh, a Sondheim reference.)  I made my way to HHW Godliness and nary a peep.  Maybe it's easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle than most people believe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2004, 10:23:20 AM »

PennyO - maybe you clicked on something in your edit profile-there's a button for language in there, I almost clicked on mine once.  Of course, if PennyO is seeing this in German she won't know WHAT the hell I'm talking about.

Re Water Under the Bridge - I'll tell you a funny story about that song sometime - it has to do with rehearsing it and trying to figure out the structure so Debbie could build it right and so that the emotion was right - there's a reason Liza's version doesn't work.

I'm glad to see all these Nicastro mentions - she's gotten knocked a lot by some people on another board, but I love her.  Speaking of my favorite voices, I heard from one of them yesterday - someone who has done some of my favorite tracks, but someone I haven't had contact with since The Stephen Schwartz Album, where she was supposed to do the Beautiful City/Day by Day track - Alet Oury.  I'm going to call her now, and I'll have more to tell in a bit.

Lovely posts all.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2004, 10:25:33 AM »

Dear Reader Penny-O--

I see that your picture has been un-play-dohed and you....look.....mahvelous.

Jay are you referring to the picture that briefly showed up under my name or the one that is currently under Penny O’s names?

Jane

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2004, 10:27:27 AM »

Bruce Penny O won’t see anything.  Her computer is disconnected and she should be leaving her house just about now.  

Jay

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »

Jay are you referring to the picture that briefly showed up under my name or the one that is currently under Penny O’s names?

The one appearing with PennyO's name.

Who's the stunning couple appearing with your name?

td

• td
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2004, 10:56:14 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME TO MOUNT OLYMPUS, DEAR READER JAY![/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2004, 10:57:44 AM »

Jane, is that new picture on your profile you and Keith? I love it! What a darling couple, I want to know more about when and where it was taken!

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2004, 10:58:50 AM »

Hurray for Jay! What a cool God to have up here!!!  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2004, 11:06:51 AM »

Jane: I KNOW that girl in your picture.  THAT'S Jane!  That's the JANE I remember.  

Just had a wonderful conversation with Alet Oury.  I'm gonna do an Unseemly Interview with her this week - very interesting stories.  She's now married to Andy Taylor who's on the road playing Leo in The Producers.  For those who don't know her name right off the bat, listen to your Peter Pan album or your Lost in Boston IV album (that track is one of my all-time favorites).

Jay

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2004, 11:07:24 AM »

I saw a new show called Like Jazz yesterday, Dear Readers, at the Mark Taper Forum.  It is a revue with music by Cy Coleman and lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman.  The patter delivered between the songs by actor Harry Groener was scribed by Larry Gelbart.

It certainly was not an unpleasant way to spend two hours in the theatre, but this is not great material, by any stretch.  The songs are about various aspects of jazz:  different styles of jazz, the instruments associated with jazz, the people--well-known and anonymous--who create jazz.

While the music is pleasant enough, I can't say it is particularly memorable.  Most of the the songs are narrative story songs, which plays right into the Bergmans' penchant for literal straightaway lyrics, untouched by poetry, metaphor or wordplay.  (Can you tell that I'd never be accused of being a fan of the Bergmans?)

The low point of the show was a ballad called "A Little Trav'lin Music," which offered the most banal song lyrics I've ever heard sung from a stage.  Worse, it was performed by Jack Sheldon, whose skills on the trumpet are considerably superior to his vocal ability.  Sheldon was also given "Don't Touch My Horn," which no doubt was intended to be a song filled with double entendre.  I'm sorry, the entendre was not very double.

There was a touching ballad about the woes of anonymous piano bar pianists, called "Another Night, Another Song," pleasantly delivered by Cleavant Derricks.  Patti Austin did fine with the numbers she was given, and Lillias White was a delight in her songs.  She was lucky to have the rousing first act curtain number, "Those Hands."  She made her entrance for this song atop an upright piano as it was rolled onstage, a visual from which only the heartless could not take pleasure.

(Seeing Miss White in this show, and recently having seen her in the film Pieces of April, makes me hungry to see more of her.  I know she made a splash in The Life a few years ago, which I, unfortunately, missed.  This artist deserves much greater exposure than she has had.)

And now, for my standard gripe:  the amplification was deplorable.  The onstage orchestra consisted of 18 pieces, 14 of which were brass.  There was a microphone at each stand and the volume levels consisted of loud and louder.  Mediocre as the lyrics that could be heard in the smaller numbers may have been, it was near impossible to make them out in the bigger ensemble songs.  The Mark Taper Forum holds 750 seats, and I can assure you that had the brass played unamplified, they would have had no problem filling the hall with sound.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 11:11:09 AM by Jay »

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2004, 11:11:40 AM »

As for JRand53s question, when I went to Los Angeles last September we travelled up to the Griffith Observatory. As it was used as a setting for so many movies we thought it would be fun to go and look at. Unfortunately it was closed for renovation and we could only see it through a large fence that had been put up to keep people away! But some parts of the road going up looked familiar.

Also, the hospital where ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST was filmed is just a few blocks from my house. It doesn't bring back any memories for me, however, as I have not yet seen that film.

Jay

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2004, 11:12:22 AM »

Thank you, Dear Reader td.  And thank you, Dear Reader MBarnum.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2004, 11:27:45 AM »

DR Charles Pogue:

Although at times
I think you see
My views as "Pogue
hostility,"
It's only fair
for me to say,
"I wish you joy
on your birthday!"

Happy Birthday, Charles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »

Belated Birthday Wishes, DR Noel. Sorry your birthday was rotten. I know the feeling.

Happy Birthday, DR Charles Pogue.

Congrats on your achievement, Jay.

I'm off to a probable three-hour board meeting.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2004, 11:41:40 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]DR JAY ASCENDS![/size][/move]

(I'd punctuate with a  :-* but that might seem too fresh!)

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2004, 11:42:48 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome to new deity

DR JAY!!!!
[/move]
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2004, 11:47:54 AM »

Why, thank you, Dear Readers S. Woody White and JRand53!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2004, 11:48:48 AM »

And Happy B'day to Charles!

(Not to be confused with a bidet, of course.   :-\)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2004, 11:49:08 AM »

(I'd punctuate with a  :-* but that might seem too fresh!)

Are you kiddin'?  Not at all.

:-* right back at you!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2004, 11:51:34 AM »

The earliest cast recordings that I can remember were My Fair Lady and Oklahoma, but the Oklahoma was definately older because it was on 78s.  One song per side, and an actual album of discs.

I'm starting to feel ancient.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »

Buster has now had his first bath!

Der Brucer was soaking his sore muscles in the tub, and Buster decided he had to inspect.

SPLOOSH!

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »

Welcome DR Jay to the clouds.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up