Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: REVITALIZING THE PROSE  (Read 22957 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:REVITALIZING THE PROSE
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2004, 02:49:11 PM »

So now we can call him TWMH&SMA? ;)

I wish I could call him mine, but alas, no . . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2004, 02:52:14 PM »

I wish I could call him mine, but alas, no . . . .

he's single at current time
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2004, 02:56:36 PM »

Anyone by chance have a video of  If Love Were All with Twiggy Lawson and Harry Groener. I got an email from someone who just must have some of that footage.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2004, 02:58:11 PM »

Quick pole:
Now that we have done away with the Karma thingabob. What do people think about  HHW God and other titles?
Never stop dreaming.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2004, 03:08:49 PM »

Quick pole:
Now that we have done away with the Karma thingabob. What do people think about  HHW God and other titles?

I like them!  Keep them!!! I think they're merely a fun way of marking how often one posts on the site.  I myself am rather far away from God-dom, but I feel no malice or jealousy for those who have already attained such heights.  I think they're fun and harmless, so let the God's remaind on their clouds :)

And wouldn't be it "Quick Poll"?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2004, 03:19:37 PM »

I don't mind the titles.....goals are wonderful!  

DRMATTH re:estates.....obviously the people in question want MORE money.

I wonder how things are at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn in North Hollywood today?  I hope Mr BK and Mr Redman have more fun that did Mr BK and Mr Pogue did yesterday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2004, 03:30:38 PM »

Pajama Party.....PST or EST?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2004, 03:44:10 PM »

DR JRand wrote:  "DRMATTH re:estates.....obviously the people in question want MORE money."

So, instead of getting SOME money, their greed forces them into a position of getting NO money.

Again, I don't understand that kind of attitude.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2004, 04:10:22 PM »

Isn't it sad, MATTH?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2004, 04:15:02 PM »

There are so many wonderful singers on the BK compilations.  I was already familiar with some, but Lynne Wintersteller was brand new to my ears. I can listen to her singing "When It Happens To You" (The Red Shoes) over and over again.

We also had the 78s of Oklahoma when I grew up. I think the first OCR I received as a gift was Peter Pan (Mary Martin). And the first one I bought for myself was Fiorello.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2004, 04:26:04 PM »

The year was 1966.  Keith and I were 17 and it was the summer before our last semester in high school.  It was the best and happiest summer of my teen years.  If we weren’t working at the Bruin Theater in Westwood we were probably at the beach swimming, riding the waves on a raft or playing cards on the beach.  We also took walks along the water to the Santa Monica pier.  Keith would play arcade games and I would ride the Carousel or play skeet ball.  This picture was taken in a photo booth on the pier.  Two days after we graduated from high school Keith proposed to me at the beach.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 04:29:10 PM by Jane »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2004, 04:34:36 PM »

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, NOEL!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR CHARLES!

CONGRATULATIONS,
GOD JAY!

The first OBC that I remember was probably My Fair Lady.  As I recall, it was remastered (or whatever they called it at the time) to be in Stereo, which basically meant mono with an echo.

The first OO-BC that I purchased for myself was Anything Goes with Hal Linden and Eileen Rodgers.  I absolutely loved that album.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 04:35:51 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2004, 04:38:09 PM »

Jane -- That photo is wonderful.

Gidget and Moondoggie!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2004, 04:39:01 PM »

Oh TCB I have that ANYTHING GOES album too.  I love "BLow Gabriel Blow", "The Heaven Hop", and of course the title soon....and Eileen is no slouch when it comes to "I Get a Kick Out of You."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2004, 04:56:46 PM »

Since this is Sunday Free-for-All Day, topic-wise, I fell I can put my two-cents in about Noel's Baby comments (.

At the risk of losing my Gay Membership Card AND my complimentary toaster oven, I am a little stunned by my gay brothers' reactions.  DR Noel, was after all expressing his opinion (the point of this here page) on some of the reasons he felt were responsible for the semi-failure of a show that opened over twenty years ago (1983), and not about a show that might be opening today.

First of all, Noel suggested that, back in 1983, that your average gay theater-goer might be more interested in seeing a show written by gay artists with a gay theme, instead of a musical about straight couples attempting to have a baby.  I don’t find anything radical, inflammatory, or offensive with that statement, and I would say it was quite accurate.  

Gee, TCB...!!!

When has the gay theatergoer ever made or broken a show?  I think never.  Not 20 years ago and not today.

So please forgive me for saying that the idea that "Baby" may have failed because "average gay theatergoers" stayed away from it is, I think, wrong.  If anything, I'm willing to bet gay theatergoers supported it a great deal.  

I keep reading that folks have the right to express opinions here.  Yet when someone has a negative reaction to an opinion, there seems to be a tendency to start telling folks they aren't reacting correctly.

We can all speak only for how something makes us feel, individually.  That's a right, too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 05:25:28 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2004, 05:17:36 PM »

DR Jane, you and Keith made a most adorable couple, and, I am guessing, still do! And if you don't mind my saying, Keith is a hottie! And you were (are) just the cutest! You two show go to one of those booths again and take an updated shot for posting her on HHW!

Jane

« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2004, 05:20:11 PM »

I say keep the HHW God and bring back the karma fairy.  Let’s put her with the smiley faces so we can give someone karma without keeping count.  :)

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2004, 05:28:26 PM »

So I lunched with the new eye candy today, and we had a nice long chat about everything and nothing. I'm pretty sure that this is just going to be a "really good friends who keep each other company" deal, which is fine. I'd rather be great friends and hang out a lot, than be dating and risk losing it. He's really great though.

My first cast r ecording was Annie, and then The Sound of Music, both of which I fell in LOVE with. I would sing Annie night and day, 24/7/365.

THE PATRIOTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!! YEAH!!! *does a blissfully happy dance*

My plans were cancelled for tonight, so I may just  come to le soiree de pyjamas. Or however you say it.

Jane: I love that picture of you and Keith! You were/are very pretty!

I hope Jose is having a good time in NYC!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jane

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2004, 05:29:09 PM »

DR Jane,  You two show go to one of those booths again and take an updated shot for posting here on HHW!

Thank you.  It isn't a photo booth but here is a picture of us taken on our 32nd anniversary in Pisa, Italy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 05:32:12 PM by Jane »

Jennifer

« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2004, 05:29:39 PM »

DR Jane, I cannot believe that you guys were 17 in that picture.  Keith looks much older.  But great pic!

I will definitely try to be back for chat.  But for some reason I am falling asleep.  In case I don't make it, I'm already in my pjs: light grey pj bottoms, with my navy seussical soft shirt (again!).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2004, 05:31:07 PM »

Thank you.  It isn't a photo booth but here is a picture of us taken on our 32nd anniversary in Pisa, Italy.
Yep, he's still woofy and you're still a babe!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2004, 05:35:42 PM »

DR Jane: Love that Italy pic, wow!

Jane

« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2004, 05:39:19 PM »

Thanks for all the compliments.

Jennifer Keith did look older and I looked much younger, plus I was only about 5’2”.  I am now all of 5’3¼.  There were times when we received unpleasant looks from those who thought he was robbing the cradle.  LOL

Michael

« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2004, 05:50:18 PM »

I like them!  Keep them!!! I think they're merely a fun way of marking how often one posts on the site.  I myself am rather far away from God-dom, but I feel no malice or jealousy for those who have already attained such heights.  I think they're fun and harmless, so let the God's remaind on their clouds :)

And wouldn't be it "Quick Poll"?

You are right. I have never heard of a quick Pole. They lay their like so much fish
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2004, 05:51:11 PM »

Skee ball, not skeet ball.  And how conveniently my darling Jane doesn't even acknowledge my post about that picture being JANE.  

I'm still deciding how our Pajama Party will work.  I hadn't intended it to be a chat room thing, but a Pajama Posting Party.  What say all of you?

td: That Decameron poster you posted is French, not Italian.  To further complicate matters, there were several style Italian posters, of which my art was one.  

The Courts show was fun today.  I again saw Miss Julie Benz, the cutest celeb there.  Of course, she's probably twenty so it's not hard to be cute at that age.  The most shocking was Angel Tomkins (who wasn't there yesterday) - she was wearing a dress that gave cleavage a whole new meaning.  Neither Nick or I could believe our eyes.  Nick bought a photo and chatted up Ken Kercheval, from Dallas - Nick is a big Dallas fan.  Luciana Paluzzi never made it to today's show.  Carol Lynley does not look good at all.  Nick couldn't believe Kim Darby either.  And Kathy Showers was as stunning today as she was yesterday.  

Nick and I supped at Stanley's.  

Robin

« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2004, 05:52:49 PM »

I think that building in the background may have some structural flaws in it.  But the couple in the foreground, however, seems to have excellent structure.  And good posture, too.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2004, 05:54:59 PM »

By the way, I'm a "Jr. Member" now.  

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that terminology.  Makes me feel somehow less, you know, manly.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Michael

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2004, 05:56:37 PM »

I never heard of Kathy Showers and what I came up with was an Assistant to the Chancellor from Texas Rech University but I don't think she would be at the Courts Show. So who is she?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2004, 05:58:56 PM »

Actually I had to look up who Julie Benz as the name sounded familar. She plays (played) Darla on Angel and Buffy. And believe it or not she is 32 in May!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 06:03:55 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2004, 05:59:06 PM »

I just did a little digging over at the Tony Awards page, to double-check on what was on Broadway in the 83/84 season.  It was the year of Baby and La Cage, all right, but it was also the year of The Tap Dance Kid, The Rink, and Sunday In the Park With George.  (Major holdovers from the previous season were My One and Only, a revival of On Your Toes, and something called Cats.)

Of all of these, La Cage may have been called the "Gay Show", but it really wasn't, at least not as far as the "gay audience" was concerned, if there is such a thing.  La Cage was built to bring in straight audiences, reinforcing old stereotypes in a pleasantly old-fashioned and not really challenging vehicle.  (In his acceptance speach, Herman made a point of pointing out how "traditional" the show was, compared with his real competition, SITPWG.)  Meanwhile, gay people were dealing with real prejudice and AIDS.  La Cage was not the show for them.

What knocked Baby out of the picture was that there was plenty of good product out there, which made a so-so show less interesting to ticket buyers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up