Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: REVITALIZING THE PROSE  (Read 22957 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:REVITALIZING THE PROSE
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2004, 06:00:16 PM »

Kathy Showers (or maybe it's just Shower) was a Playmate of the Year in the eighties.

Danise

« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2004, 06:15:09 PM »

Evening all!    I’ll go back and read all the posts I missed and comment but as I typed this up off line, I haven’t had a chance to see them yet.

The rain finely ended in time for me to leave to go to the theater.  I was still nervous having drive on the wet roads but it could have been a LOT worse.  Still I had to get into the left hand lane so I would be able to be in the correct lane when I4 and I75 (known fondly as Malfunction Junction to locals) merge into I275,  

I was going at pretty good clip (65 mph) and people were passing me like I was standing still.  My heart was beating so loud in my ears by the time I go to the parking garage that I was very glad that I was so early for the show.  I needed the time to calm down from my version of Mr. Toads Wild Ride.

So many memories as I made my way to the ticket booth.  The spot where the  lady asked me for my autograph and  the bush where I found a baby bird to name but a few.

After getting my ticket, I still had over a half hour until the lobby doors opened so I found a bench next to an older couple.  Had a very nice chat with them and it was nice to see that they obviously still very much in love.

When the lobby doors opened at one and said “Goodbye” to the couple to find my seat.  Of course it turned out that my seat was on the other side of the theater but I didn’t mind.  Again being early, I had another half hour wait for them to open the doors to the balcony so I found myself a seat to wait.  One of the ushers came by and asked if I would fill out a survey so I said “Sure”.  

After I filled it out and returned it to him, we sat and had a very pleasant conversation along with another lady who was also early.  We talked about Tommy Tune, DOTV, NYC, the high price of the tickets and Broadway web sites.

I was very happy with my seat.  I was able to see the entire stage and the orchestra pit.  I spotted the lady I had the conversation while waiting for the door to open and we waved to each other.  

Finely the lights went down and the play started.  I looked into the orchestra pit and was very surprised to only see seven people there!  3 guitar players, 3 keyboard players and the drummer. I’m guessing the keyboards made all the sounds   I found that somewhat disappointing.    

Having seen the show before, I thought I knew exactly what to expect but this must have been a new staging of it with different costumes then I remember.  I loved the long swishy coats some of the men wore.    

Some the words to the songs were somewhat different as well.  

The set was a simple set of stairs with a catwalk between two columns that they used to great advantage.  Like for the Temple scene, they dropped tote boards like the stock market and when Herod had his song, they dropped his name, all in lights and the stairs lit up as well.  When Jesus was in prison, they dropped prison bars over the cat walk and the scene where Judas commits suicide was handled well.

Jesus was played by Eric Kunze who did an outstanding job.  I watched his version of Gethsemane very closely and was not disappointed .  He had the punch on the right words which is what I have said before about other versions of the song.  I’m beginning to wonder if singing the song in a concert is considered different than singing it in a play.  It seems the emotions are different but that just might be me.

I would tell you about the great body and  handsome face Jesus had but that might be considered the wrong thing to do.  I might wind up in Hades if I did tell you that because one should not lust after Jesus. So consider yourself not told.  Is it warm in here or is it just me?  Anyway, my only problem with him was his hair which was very long and silky looking and he kept running his hands through it.  After a time it drove me nuts.  At least he wasn’t a quick draw Jesus with a mike in a holster under his arm.  

I also greatly enjoyed “Could We Start Again Please” which was choreographed to show the beatings he took in prison in slow motion.  Very, very well done but I have such a hard time watching that kind of thing.  Even if it is a play, I had to keep a firm hand myself because I wanted them to stop hurting him.  I know, he wasn’t really hurt but I get involved in the story.

Mary Magadalene was played by Natalie Toro who had a wonderful sweet voice.  Very, very nice and would like to see her again someday.

Other stand outs were Pontius Pilate/Stephen Breithaupt, Judas/Lawrence Clayton and I have to say, Catiaphas/Lawson Skala who had a voice so deep it sounded like it was coming from his toes.  I swear he looked like Ming the Merciless from “Flash Gorden”.  The kicker was (and I’m very sorry I don’t know the character name so I can’t name the actor) the one priest was the total opposite of him.  He was a short, bald,  black man with a very high voice.  They were GREAT together.    Tall/deep, short/high.  

Anyway, I enjoyed myself  and I strongly recommend seeing this version of “Jesus Christ: Superstar” if you are lucky enough to have it come to your town.

Luckily, the drive home less stressful.  I know how to get in the lane I needed to go home without having to fight to get on the Interstate and I don’t have to change lanes the whole way.  Whew!  I hate driving very fast.  55 is fast enough for me.

Congrats to Jay!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
 DR Charles & Belated Good wishes to Noel!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 06:20:56 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2004, 06:16:57 PM »

MR BK you should have encouraged Ms Paluzzi to return today!

Angel (Darlene) Tompkins....cleavage....oh my.

DRMBARNUM got an autograph and took a photo of Ms Carol Lynley for me at the 1999 Courts show.  I think that perhaps her theme song from "The Poseidon Adventure" is most appropriate...this is indeed "The Morning After."

But I still think she was wonderful in "Blue Denim" and "Return to Peyton Place" and "The Pleasure Seekers."

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2004, 06:21:13 PM »

My first cast r ecording was Annie, and then The Sound of Music, both of which I fell in LOVE with. I would sing Annie night and day, 24/7/365.

Swishy, which Sound of Music recording?  Mary Martin or Julie Andrews?  It probably wasn't the one I happened to listen to today (well, side one of the album, so far) the Original 1981 London Production with Petula Clark.  I'm making a CD of it for a friend.  It has a lot of pops, but so far, no scratches.  I don't really care for some of Petula's "pop singer" vocalisms, but I like her voice and the sound is otherwise very good.  It's labeled as "33 1/3 rpm Digital Album.  The first original cast Album recorded in this manner."  No wonder it sounds good...except for all the pops from the record.  They used "I Have Confidence" and "Something Good."  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this was the first stage production to use those songs from the movie.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2004, 06:43:17 PM »

So, our official Pajama Party will start at eight Pacific Time.  I'm still undecided whether it will be via posts or in the chat room - no one has offered an opinion, although my instinct is it would be more fun as posts - that way it doesn't go by too fast and doesn't get too crazy.

Danise

« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2004, 06:45:30 PM »

And I'm about to poop out.  I thought I could make it but I'm getting more tired by the second and I have an eight o'clock doctor appointment.  What was I thinking!  

« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 06:46:59 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2004, 06:54:28 PM »

Um. I have to get up kind of SUPER early, so I'm going to bed sometime within the next hour. I shall be missing the chat/post/PJ party. Have a blast, though!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2004, 07:05:45 PM »

I thought it was going to be a chat, not just posting. And didn't you say 10pm? :(

I don't think I will be here at 11pm, too late for the east coasters.  But I also hope everyone has FUN!

Btw, I taped Alias at 7pm, and I'm glad I did. Cause I cried through the last 10 minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2004, 07:10:15 PM »

Excuse me for living - eleven is TOO LATE?  I believe we took a poll here, did we not?  I believe that many many people said Sunday rather than Saturday because Monday is a holiday and they could stay up late.  My goodness, we do have us some wusses.  I can say for sure that if we're only going to have a handful of folks we'll just do the posting thing.  If it looks like a full boat I might just open the chat room.

Eleven is late.  Pish-tosh and also tosh-pish.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2004, 07:14:54 PM »

Well *I* believe that yes, darling, we took a poll about what DAY to have it, but YOU, my darling, decided on the time. Normal chat-type-things are at 9 EST, darling, which is what I was planning around.

Pish posh and Tish tosh to YOU. Darling.
...Walk in the sunshine...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2004, 07:16:33 PM »

Chat...post...let's get crackin'.  (almost a West Side Story reference).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2004, 07:21:36 PM »

Um, DARLING, Pajama Parties don't start at six or even nine.  This wasn't meant to be one of our regular chats, DARLING.  You just go to bed and we'll manage just fine and have a peachy-keen time DARLING.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2004, 07:27:47 PM »

I have to stand up for Jennifer here.  Monday is a holiday in the United States, but not in Canada, her own home sweet home.  

Fresh dreams, Jennifer, as they say in Maguire's novel of Wicked.

(Oh, and I watched Alias too, while taping an Alton Brown special on FoodTV.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »

Quick pole:
Now that we have done away with the Karma thingabob. What do people think about  HHW God and other titles?

Shouldn't that be "My Gun in Quick," mr. detective?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Andrea

« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2004, 07:37:55 PM »

Excuse me for living - eleven is TOO LATE?  I believe we took a poll here, did we not?  I believe that many many people said Sunday rather than Saturday because Monday is a holiday and they could stay up late.  

Wait... Monday is a holiday? Why can't the rest of the world be on American time?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »

Pajama Party in twenty minutes.  Be there or be round.  I'm now leaning towards having it in the chat room.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2004, 07:39:52 PM »

Skee ball, not skeet ball.  And how conveniently my darling Jane doesn't even acknowledge my post about that picture being JANE.  

Okay skee ball.  I was very good at it.

Bruce I posted the picture at your request.  It just took me several months to do it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2004, 07:41:52 PM »

I know WHY you posted it, I was just commenting on the fact that that is you as I remember you.  I was also an ace skee ball player and still am for that or any other matter.

In other words, Jane, just in case my point is escaping you - YOU WERE CUTE!!!!!!  And are, of course.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2004, 07:50:29 PM »

Bruce, so sweet.  Penny still thinks of me as a blond.  How come if we were both so good at skee ball we never played it together.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2004, 07:53:42 PM »

Pajama Chat at eleven?  all right

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2004, 07:55:54 PM »

Why DIDN'T we ever play Skee Ball?  Did we go to the beach?  I seem to remember we did, but then again, I'm senile.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2004, 07:56:30 PM »

Yes, it's the Pajama Game in five count them five minutes.  

Oh, and I HATE MARZIPAN.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2004, 07:57:50 PM »

Why is it 15 degrees in Indiana?  Why I am watching a submarine movie?
Silent CABIRIA on at midnight followed by LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2004, 07:58:33 PM »

Wait... Monday is a holiday? Why can't the rest of the world be on American time?
Monday we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday.  That's when we honor a man of peace and dignity by getting drunk and crass.  It's sort of a rehearsal for Super Bowl Weekend, not that we need that much rehearsal.

The thought of the rest of the world being on American time is...well, scary.  Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but I also like the variety.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2004, 07:59:10 PM »

I  do have to work tomorrow. So I am off to bed. Have a great one everyone
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2004, 08:01:03 PM »

Don't forget, you must be in your PJs to participate in the Pajama Party.  Also, I will keep the chat room open only for one hour, and then the party will continue via posting.  That way we get the best of both worlds.  Okay, the room is open, so let's party!

td

• td
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2004, 08:02:49 PM »

Don't forget, you must be in your PJs to participate in the Pajama Party.  Also, I will keep the chat room open only for one hour, and then the party will continue via posting.  That way we get the best of both worlds.  Okay, the room is open, so let's party!

Well, I for one, will not sit in a chat room wearing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! ! !

There are people who get paid to do that sort of thing. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2004, 08:06:17 PM »

Ok, I am ready for the pajama party Annette!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2004, 08:12:48 PM »

TCB wrote: "The first OBC that I remember was probably My Fair Lady.  As I recall, it was remastered (or whatever they called it at the time) to be in Stereo, which basically meant mono with an echo."

I don't think so, TCB. Rather than do that, Columbia recorded the show again in real stereo when the three leads (and Robert Coote) took the show to London. That album had a gold cover while the original cast LP was white. I got the white one when I returned from NYC that CHristmas and later bought the gold one.

Columbia did the "reprocessed stereo" stuff with a bunch of their pre-WEST SIDE STORY cast albums, but I don't think the 1956 MY FAIR LADY was ever reprocessed since the show had a true stereo recording.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2004, 08:18:21 PM »

I'm back from San Francisco... but you're all pajama partying. I'll look in for a bit in a moment (although I do not own pajamas). Meanwhile, Happy Birthday, fellow scribe Pogue!
And belated Happy Birthday, Noel!

Jrand 53 - Re your post yesterday... The name spelling was not incorrect on the actual paste-on name tag, just on the notice. So, that's probably not the problem. But who knows! Thanks for trying to puzzle it out, though.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 08:19:22 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up