Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED  (Read 22921 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2004, 07:33:52 PM »

Dinner went very well.  The only problem is with the aftertaste that artichokes can leave, which doesn't mix well with wine later on.   :P

DR Jane, I'd love that Mandelbrot recipe!  Be sure to post!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2004, 07:53:52 PM »

Jose, how many eggs and how much butter??  My sister frequently makes a white sauce and complains that she's never made a hollandaise sauce.  I think she might be willing to try this, but if I give her a recipe, I know she'll want some amounts...not just "your egg yolks" or "some butter."  Thanks.  It sounds very good and easy enough for even me to try. ::)

Well, I usually just kind of eyeball it...  But it's the same amount as a "real" hollandaise, so.. From the Joy of Cooking (1997 edition)....

OHH!!  WOW!!  I open my copy and there on Page 55 is (who knew?!?!?):

BLENDER HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
about 1 cup

Less fluffy but a great time-saver.  The clarified butter should be very warm, since the sauce is not reheated.

Place in a blender or food processor:

3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
Ground white pepper or hot red pepper sauce to taste
Salt to taste

Process on high speed for 1 minute.  With the machine running, add in a slow, steady stream:

1/2 cup very warm to hot clarified butter

By the time all the butter is poured in - about 1 minute - the sauce should be thickened.  If not, process on high speed for about 20 more seconds more.  Taste and adjust the seasonings.  Serve immediately or keep warm by submerging the blender container in warm (not hot) water. Serve warm.

Hope this helps... And I really didn't know it was in there!

As I mentioned in my original post, I usually don't use clarified butter.  However, all you have to do is stop pouring the butter before the milk solids start going into the blender.  -Just add a few more tablespoons of butter in the pan to be safe.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2004, 08:00:32 PM »

OH!!

And I finally had my "dessert" that I picked up at the Deli earlier.  It was a chocolate bar: Starbrook Airlines Belgian Chocolates - Milk Chocolate with Nougat Cream (and, of course, that phrase appears in seven different languages on the wrapper).  It was soooo good.  The nougat cream center was particularly nice - almonds and honey.  And the chocolate had that unmistakeable Belgian "melt" to it.  I will definitely have to try to the other varieties they had - Almond and Crisp.  And not a bad deal either: $1.25 for 43grams/1.52 oz.!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2004, 08:29:46 PM »

DR Jrand wrote: " but for me, and it is strange, the Champions seemed more a brother/sister type dance team to me than a romantic team....don't know why, and I know they were married, but they didn't seem to strike sparks for me chemistry wise.  I think Astaire & Charisse and Kelly & Hayworth were very romantic....to me, anyway."

Others may agree with you, but I don't. The very reason I rate this dance by the Champions higher than "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" from WHITE CHRISTMAS is that (to me) sexual chemistry that's going on with the Champions. I almost feel a sexual heat blazing during this number. Not all of their numbers generate this, it's true (none of their big dances in SHOW BOAT are sexual, and I don't recall anything in EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS or GIVE A GIRL A BREAK that matches this), but for this one number alone, I think they're unique. I like it even more than such celebrated numbers as Astaire and Charisse's "Dancing in the Dark" or anything Astaire or Kelly did with Rita Hayworth. I would possibly rank Kelly and Charisse's "Heather on the Hill" from BRIGADOON equal or possibly slighty higher.

All this is purely a matter of taste, of course. There's no right or wrong answer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2004, 08:35:20 PM »

DRIVING MISS DAISY has been waiting for a spin all day, but instead I watched CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND tonight. Like many of Charlie Kaufman's screenplays (this adapted from an autobiography which I haven't read), it's a strange film. George Clooney shot it with all kinds of camera tricks, washed out or overly saturated lighting and color. I never saw it at a theater when it came out last year, but I could see why this quirky, brittle biography didn't go over big with the public. As a different take on a very eccentric person, the film was OK, but I think I'd rather watch ADAPTATION again.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2004, 08:36:47 PM »

I went way off my diet today with Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. They're just too tempting to keep around the house. I HAD to get rid of them!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2004, 08:53:10 PM »

I've spent the last two days putting out various fires (not literally) caused by inefficiency. I'm not a big long weekend lover -- but for once I'm so glad that things will come to a grinding halt and I can just sit and write.

Panni

« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2004, 08:54:21 PM »

...To clarify... The inefficiency was not mine!

Michael

« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2004, 09:16:25 PM »

Just finished watching the Andromeda Strain. Still a fav. But it is too slow moving for the MTV gen. It's too literal and no teenagers or 20 something non actors. I think the four leads and heros were over 40 when the film was made.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2004, 10:03:12 PM »

Not exactly a busy night around these HHW parts. You'd think it was a Friday before a long weekend or something.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2004, 10:29:36 PM »

Yes DRMS...I like The Andromeda Strain a LOT!

I used the word shenanigans a lot tonight at rehearsal....it is a perfect word...and expresses its definition perfectly.  People are delighted to hear it out loud.  I think we should all use the word this weekend and delight even more people!  This should be a shenanigans holiday weekend.

Audtioning a hundred actors?  Oh my....oh my....one hundred actors working on monologs, taking showers, checking the internet to find out all about this Kimmel character, planning on how to spend the check, and HOPING HOPING HOPING to get the part.  My heart goes out to them, and to the person making the choice.  

I did a short spread of cards, MR BK, and I think that you will be most impressed by the 11th person you see, or the person with the 11 o'clock appointment.  You will also see someone you have not seen in a long time, but this person will NOT be right for the part he wants.

Lalalalala......The Red Shoes......I love that movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2004, 10:37:12 PM »

Okay, wordsmiths and intelligentsia of HHW.....there must be a word that describes what DRMATTH and I have been talking about.....the definition would be:

---------- what occurs when two or more people watch the same entertainment and each sees something different, or recognizes a different intent or result.

And it ain't shenanigans.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2004, 10:37:58 PM »

Lovely photos, DRJANE!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2004, 10:47:52 PM »

Okay, wordsmiths and intelligentsia of HHW.....there must be a word that describes what DRMATTH and I have been talking about.....the definition would be:

---------- what occurs when two or more people watch the same entertainment and each sees something different, or recognizes a different intent or result.

And it ain't shenanigans.

Criticism - ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2004, 10:48:29 PM »

Very close DRJOSE....very close. LOL

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2004, 10:53:43 PM »

Glass Slipper with Leslie Caron is on TCM!

Panni

« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2004, 11:07:14 PM »

I'm going to lie down and listen to music and read. Goodnight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2004, 11:10:49 PM »

Nytol!   Listen to something good, DRPANNI!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2004, 11:11:08 PM »

Did you end up with any other favorites on your CD that I made you?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2004, 11:43:21 PM »

Jose, how many eggs and how much butter??  My sister frequently makes a white sauce and complains that she's never made a hollandaise sauce.  I think she might be willing to try this, but if I give her a recipe, I know she'll want some amounts...not just "your egg yolks" or "some butter."  Thanks.  It sounds very good and easy enough for even me to try. ::)

Well, I usually just kind of eyeball it...  But it's the same amount as a "real" hollandaise, so.. From the Joy of Cooking (1997 edition)....

<SNIP>

Thanks for the info, Jose!!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2004, 11:45:04 PM »

Nytol!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2004, 11:57:10 PM »

Your card reading is very interesting, as I know who has the eleven o'clock spot ( a friend of Tammy's she's highly touting) and I know I will be seeing someone I haven't seen since the early seventies and already know they are not right for the part.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up