Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BKs ARE GO  (Read 19169 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:BKs ARE GO
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2004, 12:17:06 PM »

In the unlikely event you have some left-over muffins, try this:

(From The Recipe Cottage):

INSTANT BANOFFI

2 large chocolate muffins
4 tsp brandy
1 Mars bar
3 Tbs cream
25g butter
2 bananas, sliced
1 Tbs brown sugar
squeeze of lemon juice
vanilla ice cream to serve

Cut each muffin in half across the middle and pour 1 tsp brandy over each half.

In a small saucepan, heat the Mars bar and cream
over a low heat, stirring constantly. Melt the butter in a saute pan, add sliced bananas, lemon juice and brown sugar. Cook until the bananas are caramelised and golden brown. Arranger the bananas over the muffin halves and drizzle the chocolate sauce over the
top. Serve with ice cream immediately.

der Brucer (stay tuned for the real McCoy)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2004, 12:23:50 PM »

I've seen recipes for Mars bar crepes, but not muffins. Toronto's Mars muffins are from the Mars diner - which is decorated with a big picture of Saturn. It's not in the best part of town, but some nights I've seen limo's pull up for a six-pack. The diner opened a second store in an upscale part of town, but the muffins were not nearly as good at the new location. Maybe it's something in the air at the original spot - like the accumulation of grease.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 12:25:22 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2004, 12:24:59 PM »

Anf for the purists amonst us, who disdain anything "Instant", here, from the Hungary Monk Cookbook:

The Original Hungry Monk Banoffi Pie

Invented at the Hungry Monk in 1972, Banoffi Pie is still as popular today as it was the first time it appeared on the menu. There have been many imitations as far and wide as Russia and the United States; it is even rumored to be Mrs Thatcher's favourite pudding! Below is the original recipe as it first appeared in 'The Deeper Secrets of the Hungry Monk' in 1974.

Invented at the Hungry Monk in 1972, Banoffi Pie is still as popular today as it was the first time it appeared on the menu. There have been many imitations as far and wide as Russia and the United States; it is even rumored to be Mrs Thatcher's favourite pudding! Below is the original recipe as it first appeared in 'The Deeper Secrets of the Hungry Monk' in 1974.

To serve 8-10
12 ounces uncooked shortcrust pastry
1.5 tins condensed milk (13.5 ounces each)
1.5 pounds firm bananas
375ml of double cream
Half a teaspoon powdered instant coffee
1 dessertspoon caster sugar
A little freshly ground coffee

Preparation
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (400F, ). Lightly grease a 10in x 1.5in flan tin. Line this with the pastry thinly rolled out. Prick the base all over with a fork and bake blind until crisp. Allow to cool.

The secret of this delicious pudding lies in the condensed milk.

Immerse the cans unopened in a deep pan of boiling water. Cover and boil for 5 hours making sure that the pan does not boil dry
* (see CAUTION) . Remove the tin from the water and allow to cool completely before opening. Inside you will find the soft toffee filling.

Method
Whip the cream with the instant coffee and sugar until thick and smooth. Now spread the toffee over the base of the flan. Peel and halve the bananas lenghtways and lay them on the toffee. Finally spoon or pipe on the cream and lightly sprinkle over the freshly ground coffee.

*CAUTION
It is absolutely vital to top up the pan of boiling water frequently during the cooking of the cans. 5 hours is a long time and if they are allowed to boil dry the cans will explode causing a grave risk to life, limb and kitchen ceilings.

Hint - Banoffi is a marvellous "emergency" pudding once you have the toffee mixture in your store cupboard. We therefore suggest that you boil several cans at the same time as they keep unopened indefinitely.

der ever-helpful Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2004, 12:41:16 PM »

I just read that Jerry Falwell is going to give the opening Invocation at the Republican National Convention. No further comment necessary.

The Princeton Review has posted the complete schedule:

Subject: REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION AGENDA

(FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE)

The following is the "first final" list of events for the Republican National Convention in New York City, August 30 to September 2, 2004.

PART One

AUG. 30 - 6 p.m. - OPENING PRAYER read by Mel Gibson while being flogged with a spiked leather strap wielded by Ann Coulter

* TOM RIDGE raises National Alert Level to RED.

* LEST WE FORGET - HONORARY ROLL CALL of All Members (and Friends)of the Bush Administration Who Might Very Well Have Been Killed In Vietnam If It Hadn't Been For Nasty Trick Knees, Anal Cysts, Recurrent Headaches, and Highly-Placed,
Overly-Protective Parents.
(Sponsored by Tyson Chicken)

* ANTONIN SCALIA speaks - "SLAVERY - THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF OUR FOREFATHERS, AND GREAT FOR BUSINESS! (Sponsored by Wal-Mart)

* DICK CHENEY hosts AMBASSADORSHIP RAFFLE -
Opening Bid $1 million (cash, non-sequential bills, 20s or less)

* CLIMAX OF THE EVENING - FILM - "BRING IT ON!"
Stirring fictionalized re-creation of Mr. Bush's actual dental appointment in Alabama in 1972, where he showed the incredible courage to allow "deep cleaning" of gums without anesthetic.
(Sponsored by Sinclair Broadcasting)

* SUGGESTED AFTER-EVENT - "GET BAKED WITH RUSH - "Crankster" LIMBAUGH!"
(Location TBD) (Sponsored by Pfizer)

der equal-opportunity pundit Brucer
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 01:24:18 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2004, 12:46:21 PM »

George, nice looking Roadshow ticket.  
I sure hope I find a pet sitter before then.  I’m sending you email.
Your word connection is very interesting.

RLP your welcome and I’m so glad you were able to catch the show.

Stuart, I can’t recall noticing the time correlating with my birthday but I bet I will from now on. :D

Dan (the Man) since my boys moved out of the house I haven’t been up too much of the current music. :-[

Panni, congrats on a successful movie.  :) Will there be more details of your evening later?  

Jane

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2004, 12:59:54 PM »

Jennifer apple strudel muffins sound good.  

Now I’m craving a muffin and I don’t have one in the house.   I did have blueberries so I mixed them with vanilla ice cream.  Not a muffin but it tasted pretty darn good. :)

Favorite muffins are bran and pumpkin.  I also like poppy almond, blueberry and marion berry.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2004, 01:00:34 PM »

I loved the MY FAIR LADY sourvenir book, too. It seemed, well, so classy. MGM used to package souvenir books with their deluxe boxed LP soundtrack recordings. I got a BEN-HUR and a WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM that way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2004, 01:04:13 PM »

Didn't get to any DVDs this afternoon. Spent the time watching RENO 911! and MONK from last week while I was away in NYC.

BTW, I saw two celebrities on the street during my four days there:

1. Adam, the Average Joe contestant/leading man, who had several girls wanting his autograph. He was at THE BOY FROM OZ.

2. Kevin Weissman who plays the lovably nerdy Marshall on ALIAS. I saw him walking down Broadway Saturday morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2004, 01:26:12 PM »

PART Two

AUG. 30 - 6 p.m. - OPENING PRAYER read by Mel Gibson while being flogged with a spiked leather strap wielded by Ann Coulter

* TOM RIDGE raises National Alert Level to RED.

* LEST WE FORGET - HONORARY ROLL CALL of All Members (and Friends)of the Bush Administration Who Might Very Well Have Been Killed In Vietnam If It Hadn't Been For Nasty Trick Knees, Anal Cysts, Recurrent Headaches, and Highly-Placed,
Overly-Protective Parents.
(Sponsored by Tyson Chicken)

* ANTONIN SCALIA speaks - "SLAVERY - THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF OUR FOREFATHERS, AND GREAT FOR BUSINESS! (Sponsored by Wal-Mart)

* DICK CHENEY hosts AMBASSADORSHIP RAFFLE -
Opening Bid $1 million (cash, non-sequential bills, 20s or less)

* CLIMAX OF THE EVENING - FILM - "BRING IT ON!"
Stirring fictionalized re-creation of Mr. Bush's actual dental appointment in Alabama in 1972, where he showed the incredible courage to allow "deep cleaning" of gums without anesthetic.
(Sponsored by Sinclair Broadcasting)

* SUGGESTED AFTER-EVENT - "GET BAKED WITH RUSH - "Crankster" LIMBAUGH!"
(Location TBD) (Sponsored by Pfizer)

AUG 31-- 6 p.m. OPENING PRAYER read by Our Lord
(The Passion Of) Jesus H. Christ, as channeled by Lt. General Boykin, the man who first revealed that Mr. Bush was chosen by God to lead this country into war against the heathens.
Mr. Boykin will then give a short, upbeat presentation on Islam called, "My God Can Beat Up Your God."

* TOM RIDGE raises National Alert Level to FLASHING RED.

* WAYNE LAPIERRE will pry Davy Crockett's Kentucky Long Rifle out of Charlton Heston's cold dead fingers (subject to Heston's death)
(Sponsored by Smith & Wesson)

* DESIGNATED BROWN PERSON (Hispanic or Muslim, or possibly an Hispanic-Muslim, if we can find one) will speak on how being a brown person doesn't automatically disqualify you from being a Republican (subject to finding a brown person capable of
being bribed to do this - may need professional actor, possibly brought in from third world country)

* CLIMAX OF THE EVENING - PAUL WOLFOWITZ
announces American plans to invade Iran, strip them of nuclear weapons, and turn over entire country to Bechtel to be run as a subsidiary. (Wolfowitz will tell anxious voters that the operation will involve 200 out-sourced "consultants", will
take one week and will be entirely funded by pocket change found in a White House couch.)
(Sponsored by Halliburton)

* SUGGESTED AFTER-EVENT - "RIDE THE WAVE WITH RUSH "Big Oxy" LIMBAUGH!" (Do a couple of 'ringers' with Big Pharma - sponsored by ROBITUSSIN)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2004, 01:27:33 PM »

PART Three

SEPTEMBER 1 - 6 p.m. -- OPENING PRAYER by the REVEREND JERRY FALWELL who will demonstrate the spirit of Compassionate Conservatism and the eternal mercy of God by wishing a horrible fiery death and an eternity in the pit of hell for all
non-white, non-male, non-Christian, non-heterosexual, non-Republicans.

* TOM RIDGE raises National Alert Level to PULSATING RED

* THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF INSANELY RICH PERSONS (AAIRP) will present LAURA BUSH with A PLATINUM CHAINSAW in thanks for the Bush Administration tax cuts (Sponsored by Gulfstream)

* ANN COULTER, BILL O'REILLY and SEAN HANNITY will lead a special TWO-MINUTE HATE-IN aimed at photo of John Kerry.

* CLIMAX OF THE EVENING -- DIEBOLD CORPORATION WILL ANNOUNCE ELECTION RETURNS - BUSH WINS RE-ELECTION WITH 51% OF VOTE
(YET TO BE CAST).
(JUSTICE ANTONIN SCALIA will certify vote results) Diebold Board member Wilbur H. Grafton will deny fraud, announce his retirement, and be named the new Ambassador to Jamaica.
(Sponsored by Diebold)

* SUGGESTED AFTER-EVENT -- "GET WRECKED WITH RUSH "Kicker" LIMBAUGH"
(sponsored by Eli Lilly)

SEPTEMBER 2 (nomination night) - 6 p.m. - OPENING PRAYER by ATTORNEY GENERAL JOHN ASHCROFT, who will then sing "Let the Eagle Soar" and light the ceremonial "TORCH OF FREEDOM with the (actual) Bill of Rights.

* TOM RIDGE raises National Alert Level to Fire Engine Red, and ANNOUNCES CAPTURE OF OSAMA BIN LADEN.

* CONVENTION SHIFTS TO "GROUND ZERO" - DICK CHENEY will introduce and personally re-nominate PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH, who WILL IMPALE OSAMA BIN LADEN WITH DAVY CROCKETT'S KENTUCKY LONG RIFLE donated by Wayne LaPierre (Sponsored by NRA)

* PRESIDENT BUSH WILL GIVE ACCEPTANCE SPEECH, standing on Osama's dead body.

POST CEREMONY CLOSING NIGHT PARTY OPPORTUNITIES:
- "GET MAXED WITH RUSH "ROCKET CAP" LIMBAUGH!" (Sponsored by Glaxo Smith Kline)

* RICK SANTORUM 'DOG ON DOG' PETTING ZOO (adults only, please)

* BILL O'REILLY SHOWS OFF PULITZER PRIZE, ACADEMY AWARD AND NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

* SPECIAL BUFFET - JOHN ASHCROFT WILL PERSONALLY EXORCISE A KINDLE OF CALICO KITTENS, BARBECUE THEM AND SERVE THEM AS CANAPES (sponsored by KRAFT "Thick N' ****y" BBQ Sauce)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2004, 01:33:51 PM »

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2004, 01:49:21 PM »

Jennifer---
As the HHW resident reality show expert, are you going to watch the new show where they put the Amish youth in with some Hollywood kids and see how they mix?  If so, please give your impressions tomorrow.  Unless Canada has the good taste not to show this explotive show of course.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2004, 02:11:28 PM »

WEL - we only get "Amish in the City" on delay on the Global station.

It'll start Sunday here instead of tonight.

Proof that bad taste does indeed cross the 49th parallel :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2004, 02:12:55 PM »

Snaps to Der Brucer for the hilarious RNC coverage.

John Edwards speaks tonight.  My mother has a not-so-secret crush on him.  Needless to say, the family room tv will be turned to CNN come 10pm :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2004, 02:14:28 PM »

I baked a batch of blueberry muffins this morning - my tribute to the first of the local wild blueberries.

So ... the question for the day:

What's your favorite muffin?

Stud!
[/b][/i]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2004, 02:21:54 PM »

I have a question for Bruce and all Dear Readers, how do you open a CD case without damage to ones nails?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2004, 02:26:47 PM »

I have a question for Bruce and all Dear Readers, how do you open a CD case without damage to ones nails?

DRJane, do you mean unwrap the cellophane or open a CD case?  I'm getting tired of all the plastic tape sealing CDs and DVDs before they shrink wrap everything,  I've just received DVD with plastic tape at top, side and bottom.  Seems an awful waste.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2004, 02:26:59 PM »

I use a box cutter most of the time.

I have never figured out why they need to wrap those things up like Fort Knox!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2004, 02:29:33 PM »

Get one of those little CD case openers (I guess that's what they're called). They're cheap and work like a charm.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2004, 02:34:04 PM »

DRJane, do you mean unwrap the cellophane or open a CD case?  I'm getting tired of all the plastic tape sealing CDs and DVDs before they shrink wrap everything,  I've just received DVD with plastic tape at top, side and bottom.  Seems an awful waste.

Yes, the cellophane, tape, etc.  How do you get into these things?  No wonder I don't buy CD's very.  The case itself can be difficult and crack when I open it, then I'm often afraid I'm going to break the CD when I pull it out of the case.  I case I'm pathetic. :D

How are you feeling?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2004, 02:36:32 PM »

I loved the MY FAIR LADY sourvenir book, too. It seemed, well, so classy. MGM used to package souvenir books with their deluxe boxed LP soundtrack recordings. I got a BEN-HUR and a WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM that way.

A year before the film was released, Warner Brothers took out ads in major newspapers announcing the project which featured a cut-out section for a free subscription to a newsletter they would issue at regular intervals during production.  I duly filled mine out and sent it in.  I got all the wonderful newsletters and have them today.  There were six in all, I believe, and they were beautifully done.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2004, 02:37:03 PM »

Re TIGER CRUISE - I do not believe in reviews -- unless they're complimentary. In that vein, for those who still get the "official" TV Guide, in next week's issue (Beldar Conehead  and Cptn Picard on the cover) there's a very nice review (on Pg. 22 of my edition) and another rave for Friday Movie Pick of the Day (on Pg 163 of mine).

My agent just forwarded to me a very nice letter from the head of Disney Channel movies. Now if only my AC were working, it would be a pretty good day.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 02:39:09 PM by Panni »

Jane

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »

MBarnum, the box cutter I have doesn’t work.  I tried that after the first nail I broke.

Panni I will look for a case opener tomorrow.  Unfortunately that doesn’t help me at the moment.

I have two choices, save my nails or ruin them and listen to my new CD’s. ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2004, 02:39:29 PM »

MGM issued hardbound souvenir books for "Ben-Hur," "King of Kings," "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm," "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "How the West Was Won."  The first four were also part of the deluxe soundtrack LP issues (boxed sets).  

From other studios, "El Cid", "Spartacus" and "The Big Fisherman," "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and "Hawaii" were issued as hardbacks.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 02:43:03 PM by RLP »

Panni

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2004, 02:42:03 PM »

Tonight DD and I see HAIRSPRAY.
Now she's going to teach me to Parallel Park. A hole in my otherwise stellar education. :P

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2004, 02:45:42 PM »

Panni I just added TV Guide to my list of things to buy tomorrow.  I hope there are still some out there.  Is it for this week or next week and what is on the cover?

Is the landlord working on fixing your AC?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2004, 02:50:10 PM »

Yes, a little CD case opener - available at most CD stores - just ask.  Simple to use.  Just back from a nice lunch with Macchus (Mark Rothman).  Still a million things to do before rehearsal.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2004, 02:58:28 PM »

Thanks Bruce.  Have a good rehearsal-wish I could watch.

Panni

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2004, 02:59:05 PM »

Panni I just added TV Guide to my list of things to buy tomorrow.  I hope there are still some out there.  Is it for this week or next week and what is on the cover?

Is the landlord working on fixing your AC?

Jane - I modified my original post and it now has the info you need.
Yes, the landlord has called the AC people. Right at this moment the fan alone is working pretty well.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2004, 03:01:33 PM »

;D :-[ ;D Guess what I just found in the cabinet, sitting right next to the CD’s? ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up