Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT  (Read 12696 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2004, 12:10:12 PM »

For those of you Dear Readers not suffering through it, I thought you would like to know that it is quintessential earthquake weather here in Southern California.  

Nice to see you around, DB.

You may be having earthquake weather, but yesterday brought us the remnants of Frances in these here parts.  Apparently, between the 4 - 6 inches of rain she brought with her, and the unusually wet summer we had, the Erie Canal decided to crest yesterday sending the town in which I work, and several surrounding towns, into all-out States of Emergency.  In an area that sees 100+ inches of snow each winter, often 6 - 12 at a time, and never cancels classes, they cancelled classes at 11 am yesterday.  Didn't close the school and send people home; just cancelled classes.

As it was, my brother-in-law, in Brighton (just south east of Rochester proper) had about 18 inches of water in his basement yesterday, as did the rest of his street.

Fortunately, most of the stuff in the basement (except the washer & dryer, and the carpeting) were toys for their 2.5 year old.  As we have been saying (well, OK, as I have been saying):  Clifford, le gross chien rouge, et morte.  He didn't even float to the top like so many other of the toys.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2004, 12:10:17 PM »

Earthquake WEATHER?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2004, 12:10:50 PM »

I wish they would stop talking about Hurricane Frances, I am getting paranoid.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2004, 12:12:13 PM »

A Dance for Page Three:

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
GAVOTTE
[/font][/size][/move]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2004, 12:14:34 PM »

My ultimate Frances Farmer paranoid story:

Frances had a nice bungalow type home in the 5100 block of North Park Avenue in Indianapolis.   She decided she wanted to make some improvements on the house and talked to a contractor about a staircase to the second floor attic.  She insisted to him that the stair case be no wider than a certain number.  He argued with her that that would be too narrow.  She finally found a contractor who would build to her specifications.....and build her a staircase that was too narrow for two men carrying a stretcher to traverse....just in case.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:15:16 PM by JRand54 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2004, 12:23:44 PM »

The book, I believe, has been corrected to within an inch of its life.  So, all that's left is for me to add the dedication, the acknowledgments and I'll be done.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2004, 12:24:57 PM »

Re Die Moldau - my favorite version of the piece (mentioned in Kritzerland), the one that got me hooked on classical music, has never been released on CD - it's by Eugene Ormandy and The Philadelphia Orchestra.  Wonderful rendition.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2004, 12:27:16 PM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader Donna!

Panni, Abie and Pete are so handsome.

I finally got a crack at one of the working computers, but I have nothing to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2004, 01:22:15 PM »

Another pool day today, but the skies became overcast and blocked most of the sun for much of the afternoon. That's OK. I don't really need any darker tan than I have.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2004, 01:24:18 PM »

I'm posting in a feeble attempt at being social.  Otherwise, I'm cranky!  I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep since returning from the shore.  Perhaps I'll have to move there permanently for health reasons...

Me Media Check

CD Player (at home):  nothing

CD Player (at work):  nothing (but I did listen to a live recording of the original cast of A Chorus Line that I downloaded this morning)

DVD:  nothing

VHS:  I know I taped somthing this week, but I can't remember what it is at the mo'.

Belated Leg Breaking to DR JRand!

Happy Birthday to Donna!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2004, 01:25:07 PM »

I enjoyed JOEY even if the cable box cut itself off at 8:30 and the show was scheduled to end at 8:40. Stupid me should have anticipated that and just left the box on instead of letting it cut itself on and off. Argh!

Also enjoyed MEDICAL INVESTIGATION in high def last night. It was in ER's time period for one showing only, and another episode of it comes on tonight at its regular time of 10.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2004, 01:26:25 PM »

Yes, indeed, I meant to tell DR JRand to break legs.

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2004, 01:34:43 PM »

Re Die Moldau - my favorite version of the piece (mentioned in Kritzerland), the one that got me hooked on classical music, has never been released on CD - it's by Eugene Ormandy and The Philadelphia Orchestra.  Wonderful rendition.
Great news BK.
This wonderful piece will now special to DR Jane who watched the river's flow on her journey. A fine evocative composition that will always bring Prague back to me (and thoughts of Benjamin too).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2004, 01:41:20 PM »

Thank you DR Matt for the comments re "Six Feet Under".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2004, 01:42:53 PM »

DR Donna is as always very busy indeed.. She hopes to check in this weekend. Of course she may have done so and I have missed a post in my quick read.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2004, 01:49:27 PM »

I'll be on my way to the gym shortly.  I haven't heard a peep about the house, so I'm assuming that as of the morning I'll be going with my second choice which, prior to my seeing the other house, was my first choice.  It's actually on the same street I'm on, two blocks north and only a one digit change from my current address.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2004, 02:11:07 PM »

Well as for media..........Nothing I haven't hooked up my system since I have been back and since the electricity has been back on.

This weekend I will catch up on everything I meant to do last weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2004, 03:05:38 PM »

Wow, may I say I'm impressed by your knowledge of disney and the 1964 World's fair, SWW!...

quote:

Now, here's a trivia question for you, Francois, one for which I'm not sure of the answer.  Disney used AudioAnimatronics for four attractions at the 1964 World's Fair.  I remember "It's a Small World" as being the big star attraction, and the Dinosaurs (later incorporated into the Train Ride at Disneyland) as the second.  The third was "The Carousel of the Future," a GE-sponsored event, also later transferred to Disneyland (and eventually replaced with "America Sings"). 

.... You are right, the fourth was Great Moments with Mr Lincoln for the Illinois Pavilion............

"The likeness of Abraham Lincoln was created as the first fully functioning audio-animatronic human figure. In a presentation entitled, "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln", the moving model of Abraham Lincoln stands, speaks, and gestures to the audience.

The figure model of Mr. Lincoln debuted at the State of Illinois Pavillion during the 1964 New York World's Fair, appearing with other Disney-designed attractions like The Carousel of Progress (General Electric), It's a Small World (Pepsi Cola), and The Primeval World (Ford Motor Company)."

from www.justdisney.com

Those were the days..... :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2004, 03:06:37 PM »

Well Cowboy doesn't. :)

That rather confirms my theory on his intellect!

;)

I think Karen was mad because DIANE IS A LIAR.  I'm amazed Jen could be so civil to her.

This is one of the best things about Jennifer -- she's been adhering to the "civil" principle the entire game. It's a great strategy, too, since Drew was stunned by it last night.  He couldn't get over how well she took it and accepted, graciously, that their little coup was good strategy.

I still do not get why Diane could not have been honest and told Karen she had to vote her out for strategic reasons. She would have understood.  It's the lies that got crazy.Well we don't actually know how good everyone is, since many have been throwing the comps. Drew seemed really good last night (as did Cowboy, surprisingly).  Jen actually seemed to win when she wasn't even trying!

Actually, Jen has thrown competitions, but when Karen consistently failed to step up, Jen had to step in once and win to keep Cowboy and Diane from winning.  It doesn't surprise me that Drew won last night.  Diane isn't interested in anyone or anything but herself, mostly, and those questions about what happened to other players would not be her forte.  

Cowboy ALWAYS looks upset when he loses.  Last week, he was leading and grinning from ear to ear.  Then Jen stepped up and answered all the rest of the questions correctly and won.  He looked totally crushed and more "dazed" than usual (if that's possible).   He hasn't won a thing other than the America's Choice phone call.  And that was a sympathy vote, I'm sure.  I know I was sick of him moaning and groaning about April and Chason and how much he misses them.  

Btw, were any of you guys surprised that karen and jen didn't help each other in the last veto (like drew/cowboy/diane did). If they had, they would have certainly gotten it. And then karen would still be around.

No, not surprised.  I think it's the first time anyone has ever plotted a joint effort like that.  It was truly imaginative and well-planned/well-played.  Diane is no fool.  I'd want her on my side rather than against me.  But...she makes me a-scared!

:(
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 03:44:25 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR Donna if she's reading.

DR Stuart, like I said we had horrible rain here yesterday too.  I have never been soaked like that while holding a big umbrella.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2004, 03:18:52 PM »

Question was: Why didn't Karen and Jennifer work together in the veto when they saw the others doing so.

I think it's the first time anyone has ever plotted a joint effort like that.  It was truly imaginative and well-planned/well-played.  

I meant once they saw what was happening, why didn't they work together?  That cost them both the game.

Emily

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2004, 03:19:41 PM »

I downloaded the songs from Brooklyn available on their website.  

All I can say is ewwwwwwwwwww (in the immortal words of Kate Monster).  I respect Eden Espinosa for being able to do what she can but still... Once Upon a Time's finale is actually painfully high to LISTEN to.  And for no reason... it's kind of like a "look what I can do" moment and nothing more...  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2004, 03:23:33 PM »

DR RLP, do you think Cowboy has thrown any comps? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2004, 03:27:03 PM »

DR MattH, I saw the end of Joey (I was expecting the Apprentice). I can tell you how the show ended if you want.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2004, 03:31:46 PM »

Question was: Why didn't Karen and Jennifer work together in the veto when they saw the others doing so.I meant once they saw what was happening, why didn't they work together?  That cost them both the game.

Jen was so far ahead of Karen that Karen would have been no help to her.  That, and I don't believe it occurred to them -- even as they were pondering why Cowboy was helping Diane -- what was happening.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »

DR RLP, do you think Cowboy has thrown any comps? :)

ROTFLMAO!

Heavens NO!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2004, 03:38:08 PM »

I have finally returned.  Seems I left just a few minutes too early last night and missed the discussion as to weather or not I’m rude. –LOL

DRLaura-incredible shot. :)

Approximately one year before Bryan was born Keith and I were on It’s A Small World riding behind a couple with a darling little blond hair blue eyed boy.  Before the ride ended we had decided to have a baby.  And yes, we waited until after we returned home to begin our attempts.  Okay, who did I beat to that comment.  I think there are certain people on this site who are a very bad influence on me.  Before posting here I would never have had the need to make that last statement. ;D

Now back to read today's posts.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2004, 03:39:28 PM »

I am always on the lookout for praise of/performance recommendations for favorite pieces of music.  

My absolute FAVORITE recording of "Enigma Variations" is one that was on the Angel lp label with Sir Adrian Boult conducting the London Philharmonic.  I found it during a Thanksgiving 1974 trip to London and have favored it ever since.  I've other recordings of it that have great things to be said about them, but the Boult "feels" best to me (I admire the Bernstein but it's a bit langorous in pacing).

Best of all is that I found this recording on CD and it arrived this very day via UPS.  I can't wait to hear it, although it's on the "budget" Seraphim label.  I fear it won't be as sonically splendid as the LP remains, but at a cost of $3.98, it's totally worth it!

:)

François de Paris

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2004, 03:44:04 PM »

I just read that Frank Thomas, classic Disney animator who worked on SNOW WHITE and many pictures that followed has passed away.  He never needed a computer to animate anything.

Oh, my!
I'm learning this from you, Wel!

One of the greatest animators EVER in this time! Ollie Johnston, neighbor and partner and lifetime friend must be very sad!
We should all be sad!

The official site has not been updated yet!

http://www.frankanollie.com/

François de Paris

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2004, 03:50:04 PM »

Nice write up on animator Frank Thomas' life!

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID210310.asp
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up