Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOIR NOTES  (Read 15420 times)

Michael

Re:THE NOIR NOTES
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »

Jose I know where you come from and if you believe in Karma......

Two stories...............

1) I was hired to played Jimmy in The Gingerbread Women. I had done the play once before. The director insisted that I should play him feyer. I told him I didn't want to do a stereotypical gay actor. Well after a week the stage manager called me, (not the director) and told me that I was let go (fired) I found out that the director took over the role and he had intended to play the part all around. Well I swallowed my pride and went to see it anyways. The reviews were merciless and the director/actor caught the brunt of the reviews especially for his uber gay portrayl of Jimmy.

2) This time as a director I tried to get the play Women Behind Bars off the ground. I was given a name of a man who was interested in producing theater. Well I should have known better. I think he had destroyed his brain cells with too much dope. Well at the fifth rehersal or so the "producer" gave me a mockup of the advert for the play. My name was no longer as director but as "production consultant". It seemed that he just changed his mind. So I quit. I felt getting my revenge by informing Samuel French that this show was going on and the rights had not been obtained yet. But then I heard the producer fired my replacement because she would rollerskate to the theater!!! Well three more directors came and went the last being the producers hairdresser. The producer decided to director, but by then actresses had started to quit and the theater finally pulled the plug.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2004, 03:49:52 PM »

Time to Dance

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2004, 03:51:04 PM »

And one for Mozart
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »

A question for BK (or any Dear Reader who cares to answer):

Who's life would you like to see done as a bio-pic?  

(I'm voting for Paul Robeson, myself.)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2004, 04:17:48 PM »

A question for BK (or any Dear Reader who cares to answer):

Who's life would you like to see done as a bio-pic?  

(I'm voting for Paul Robeson, myself.)

I saw Avery Brooks do a one-man (plus a piano player) show telling and singing the life story of Paul Robeson, called (appropriately) Robeson in 1995.  It was incredible.  I don't know if he would be "right" for the movie, but I certainly would hope that he'd be in the running.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 04:18:41 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2004, 04:47:42 PM »

I've seen some marvelous theater in LA, and some terrible theater in LA.  I was happy to see both Mack and Mabel and The Baker's Wife, and The Happy Time, all of which originated on the West Coast, all of which were flawed, but all of which were interesting.  I saw many wonderful shows at the old theater in the round houses we had - including one of the all-time great theatrical experiences of my life, The Most Happy Fella with Robert Weede and Art Lund.  Also saw Merman in Call Me Madam.  Not so much luck in waiver theater, which is a lot of junk surrounding a gem or two.  

Elsa: When I was doing Forget-Me-Not Lane at the Taper, our musical accompanist was Ray Henderson, who was VERY close with Mr. Laughton, and remained Elsa's best friend until her death.  Ray and I became really good friends and he introduced me to Elsa, who I adored and vice versa.  I became a regular at the Lanchester Sunday brunches at her house in Malibu, located next door to Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy, who were always about.  Isherwood gave me a book of his inscribed to me, and Elsa was always a hoot.  After she saw Nudie Musical, she phoned me and said, "Bruce, I never knew you were so nasty - you'll have to come over more."  

Danise

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2004, 04:50:08 PM »

Evening all!

RPL, Hope you get better sooner than soon!

Ok, what site are we talking about?  I wanna know too!  

Jose, some how, some way they will be paid back.  I’m sending bad vibes their way just to make sure.  We all know the power of the GOOD vibes on this board so if I were them, I would be quaking in my boots.  They will rue the day they messed with a HHW alumni.   ;D  :o  ;D

And I agree with Robin: Panni, You go, girl!

In the “I have some good news/I’m proud to say” department, guess who was asked to design the American Heart Walk T-Shirt for Hillsborough County again this year?  I felt so flattered and honored.   And scared.  I’m not that creative.  Last year was a fluke.  How creative is it in the middle of a war to take a heart, stick a yellow ribbon on it and put it where the stars go in the flag?

I was wondering if anyone else picked up on this.  I was listening to the Wicked sound track the other day and the part in of the song “Popular” where the verse goes, “Celebrated heads of state, especially GREAT COMMUNICATORS.  Did they have brains or knowledge?  Don’t make me laugh–they were popular.  Please..."

Wasn’t President Reagan called “The Great Communicator”?  I wonder if that was written with him in mind or just happened to come off sounding that way.  Hummm....

I have a discount code to share.  DeepDiscountDVD.com has a 20% discount.

Enter the coupon code DEEPDISCOUNT in the promotion code
box when you check out to receive your discount.
Coupon valid from 6/18/04-6/25/04

I’m sorry it’s so late but I didn’t think about it last night.  I hope some of you can use it.   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2004, 04:55:32 PM »

Add your song for a new CD. If you were to chose two or three songs for the new CD "The Dickens You Sing: Songs from Charles Dickens. What would you chose?  Oliver! (Oliver Twist),
Scrooge, A Christmas Carol, Comin' Uptown, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol The Stingest Man In Town, A Muppet's Christmas Carol (A Christmas Carol), Great Expectations, The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nicklby, Pickwick (The Pickwick Papers), Mr Quilp  and The Old Curiosity Shop (The Old Curiosity Shop) , Drood aka The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Copperfield (David Copperfield),

There have been so many different musical versions of A Christmas Carol it can have its own CD!!!

So you see you have a lot to choose from.

Maybe someone will see this list and produce a cd from it

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »

Elsa: When I was doing Forget-Me-Not Lane at the Taper, our musical accompanist was Ray Henderson, who was VERY close with Mr. Laughton, and remained Elsa's best friend until her death.  Ray and I became really good friends and he introduced me to Elsa, who I adored and vice versa.  I became a regular at the Lanchester Sunday brunches at her house in Malibu, located next door to Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy, who were always about.  Isherwood gave me a book of his inscribed to me, and Elsa was always a hoot.  After she saw Nudie Musical, she phoned me and said, "Bruce, I never knew you were so nasty - you'll have to come over more."  

There is a memoir right there. "Brunches With Elsa and Friends"
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2004, 04:58:16 PM »

How about, "Let's do the Twist"?  Or am I misunderstanding the quesiton?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2004, 05:03:39 PM »

My Dickens numbers would include

Who Will Buy? (Oliver)
If I Ruled the World (Pickwick)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2004, 05:08:21 PM »

Good Evening!

Yes, DR MBarnum, I am feeling better.  :)

I went up to school for about an hour, and practiced.  Well, more like piddled.  I did, however, finish going through the remaining scales I had yet to cover, and I spent about 30 minutes on some filligree passages.  I just wasn't into it tonight.  I just knew it was not going to be a productive practice session.  But after five days in a row, I guess I was due for a little break.  I also had dinner - food - on the brain, so...

I decided to give this new Italian carry-out place a try.  The guy who runs it has two very good Italian restaurants in town, and this little spot is his latest venture.  There's a small selection of Italian groceries - pasta, beans, olive oil, cookies, etc - in addition to the hot food offerings.  It's a small menu concentrating on pasta and pizzas.

For my "trial supper", I chose:

The House Salad -  When I opened the styrofoam container - remember, this was a carryout place - the salad didn't look too appetizing.  However, after a few bites, I realized that the mix contained some wild greens and herbs.  Very tasty - they just didn't look like a "typical" salad.  Oh, and the dressing was a simple mixture of very good and green(!) olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

-Oh, and the "croutons" were two nice wedges of bread studded with sesame and fennel seeds which had been buttered along with red chile flakes and minced garlic.  Some of the best "garlic bread" I've ever had.

Suppli al Telefono - These are the classic mozzarella-stuff rice croquettes.  Well, I guess I should say, "These were..."  And they were good too.  -The "telefono" comes from the look of the melted cheese after you bite into them and stretch the rest of the croquette from your mouth.  The strands of cheese look like telephone wires.  Well, like telephone wires in Italy, I guess.  ;)

Spaghetti Carbonara - A very classic preparation of a classic dish.  Pasta, eggs, cream, pancetta and freshly ground black pepper.  Very simple and very satisfying.  This also turned out to be the bargain of the meal too.  Besides there being lots of bits of pancetta, I'm guessing it was a full pound of (al dente) pasta.  I actually have leftovers!  And all for $7.00!  -I also liked that it was served/came in a large soup container - those cardboard type ones.  It made it very easy to eat, and I didn't have to re-wrap up the leftovers.

I wanted the vanilla gelato with figs for dessert, but they were out of figs, so I passed.  Next time.  I guess that just means I'll have to head out later for dessert. ;)

All in all, a very good meal.  They also serve breakfast, and I may give that a try sometime soon.  Their "breakfast pizza" intrigues me: pancetta, mortadella or sausage with  onion and a cracked egg.  That's enough to make me get out of bed "early" someday in the near future.

OH!  And going along with the names of his other restaurants: Mamma Zu's, and Edo's Squid - this place also had a slightly cryptic name - although it wasn't cryptic to me (and probably not to other HHW-ers):

8 1/2

(in a very Italianate decorative font, of course)

End of review.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2004, 05:15:42 PM »

Well, I can't find the magazine. Perhaps tomorrow. You'll have to take my word for it for now. Very mysterioso.

First you said:
The picture is centuries old - yes I'm a vampire. I'm going to find the photo right now and post it ASAp

And now you ask us to take your word for something!

Trust a Vampire...I don't think so!

der Brucer (glad to see Panni out of the closet)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2004, 05:27:47 PM »

DR Panni - Thank you for your story.  Trust me, I do have some sort of rebuttal in mind.  However, since I am able to do so, I want to deliver mine in person.  I will not let them off with just an e-mail!

Oh, and I should also point out that since I had already done some work on this project - including the latest batch of orchestrations... which are only in my possession - the production staff is due for some "catch up" work once they start up.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be getting an e-mail(!) or phone call asking to use my orchestrations, so... HA!  So, the karma is already in the works.  ;)

Don't get me wrong, I really hope that the project doesn't fail for most of the other people involved.  And it probably won't.  But the road to the final project just got a little bit longer.  ;)

OK - I think I need some ice cream now!
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2004, 05:31:33 PM »

BK, getting to see Weed and Lund in MOST HAPP FELLA must have been a treat.  I envy you.

Robin

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2004, 05:38:31 PM »

By the way, my three favorite Japanese monster movies:

Gojira.  The un-American version, of course!
Rodan.  The dubbed version features the voice of George Takei, which also gives this one a Star Trek connection, so important for a geek like me.
King Kong vs. Godzilla.  This should be released as a special edition deeveedee, with both the American (King Kong wins!) and the Japanese (Godzilla wins!) endings.

Momoko Kochi...what a lovely woman, and what a great actress.  She was the real star of Gojira, as far as I'm concerned.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2004, 05:53:24 PM »

JOSE - **IMPORTANT LIFE LESSON**
Here's what I didn't have time to relate earlier. Many years ago, while still living in Canda, I wrote a screenplay, an adaptation of a famous book, for a major Canadian studio. The producer of the project, however, suddenly left the studio and the script languished. Fast forward a few years and we were living in LA. One morning, at 6:30 AM, I was awakened by a call from some dizzy assistant at said studio. Ms. Dizzy did not have the faintest idea of who I was and told me like a robot that this was a pro forma call to let me know that the book was being adapted by someone else and as I had been the first writer on the project they had to inform me. Bye, bye.
Well, I was MAD - and when I get mad you don't want to cross me. I wasn't mad because someone else was doing the script. Years had passed and even though I knew I had done a good job on a difficult adaptation, I frankly didn't care. I was busy with other things and it was their loss, so screw it. What made me MAD was the cavalier, offhanded, RUDE way in which I was treated.
So I sat down and wrote a scathing Fax to the head of the studio, saying what I just said, but more so. Among other things, I said that I would have expected in a situation of this type that (a) the person who called me might actually be aware of the time difference between LA and Toronto and not wake me at dawn and (b) that the person who called me at a civilized hour was the head of the studio and not a flunky.
The next morning, at a civilized hour, I received a phone call of abject apology. From the head of the studio. Along with a dozen long stemmed roses.
Moral: Do not let them treat you like sh-t or they will believe that they are entitled to do so. AND THEY ARE NOT.

Gee, what is the name of the head of the studio?  I have always wanted to get a dozen long stemmed roses!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2004, 05:58:26 PM »

I forgot to list mine:

GODZILLA (1955) (I actually like the Raymond Burr scenes)

GODZILLA VS THE THING (1964)

MONSTER ZERO (1967)

Other favorite Japanes sci-fi:

THE H-MAN

WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS

FRANKESTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD

THE LAST WAR

KING KONG ESCAPES

Favorite performers:

Akira Takarada

Kumi Mizuno

Momoko Kochi

Hiroshi Koizumi (Ok, I have a bit of a crush on him even thought he usually plays the stern scientist rather then the leading man!)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2004, 06:05:29 PM »

Add your song for a new CD. If you were to chose two or three songs for the new CD "The Dickens You Sing: Songs from Charles Dickens. What would you chose?

I humbly submit The Christmas Bride based on The Battle of Life as the best of the American adaptations of Dickens.  Is this album for real?  I'd love to see the whole Alone in the Night sequence included, with all those interweaving coutermelodies, Lost for a female duet and perhaps Keep Her Well.  Two other songs from the score, Turn Around and Fluttering, are performed at auditions all the time.

But I'll readily agree those Brits do Dickens very well.  I've been humming several different songs from Pickwick recently ("It'll be a helluva election") and think Oliver! to be the greatest of all musicals created outside of America.

Of the BK-recorded Dickens songs, my favorite is A Place Called Home as done by Liz Callaway.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 06:11:31 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Robin

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2004, 06:17:35 PM »

War of the Gargantuas!  

I haven't seen that one in at least twenty years, but I remember seeing on WKBD's "Chiller" and "The Ghoul" and thinking it was really cool.  

I need to see this one again, soon.  I wonder if it's on deeveedee...!

Oh, and I thought Nick Adams simply dreamy.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 06:18:27 PM by Robin »

Robin

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2004, 06:21:37 PM »

About Mothra, though...

I always thought the idea of a gigantic moth was incredibly silly.  I kept visualizing Japanese citizens running for their homes, yelling in badly-dubbed English, "It's Mothra!  Quick, hide all your sweaters!  Someone find a gigantic mothball!!!"

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2004, 06:31:44 PM »

LOL Robin! If you give any of those Japanese films much thought they will seem silly! You just have to not think! Ha!

PS: I love Mothra!

I have heard that War of the Gargantuas is coming to DVD soon, but I do not know when. It is such a fun moviel...and actually that one has Russ Tamblyn...Nick Adams was in Monster Zero and Frankenstein Conquers the World...all fun movies!

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2004, 06:37:52 PM »

And speaking of Japanese monster films I am so totally thrilled right now! I am having lunch on Friday with Mr. Rhodes (King Kong Escapes) Reason! Brother of Rex!

He lives up near Portland. I have never met him but I have met his wife Jeri...so now we have finally arranged to have a luncheon date.

Rhodes has been one of my top 3 favorite actors since forever!

He also starred in the TV series Bus Stop and the films VOODOO ISLAND, YELLOWSTONE KELLY, A FEVER IN THE BLOOD and guest starred in just about every TV series made in the late 50s and 60s!

Robin

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2004, 06:38:38 PM »

Speaking of GODZILLA, what was the consensus of opinion on that remake with Matthew Broderick of several years ago? A mess, right? But the DVD has terrific 5.1 sound.

A mess, right!

One of the reasons I watch a Godzilla movie is to see the Big G stomp the dickens out of a big city.  I wanna see people fleeing the city in terror...but they abandoned NYC way too quickly, so any of the buildings 'Zilla knocked over were empty!  

I'm sorry, but the real Godzilla wasn't just a lame urban-renewal project.  Every time he stomped on Tokyo, there were millions of fictional casualties.  

The Americanized Godzilla was just a big wussburger.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2004, 06:40:46 PM »

Pogue: I've told this story before, but I can never tell it enough.  I went to a matinee of Happy Fella (in San Berdoo, I think, at a nice theater in the round there - this would have been 1966 or so).  Well, it was one of the greatest things I'd ever seen - Mr. Weede had me in tears, and when they did My Heart is So Full of You the entire audience gave such an ovation that the show simply halted for about three minutes.  Mr. Lund was fantastic, too - remember this was only ten years after Broadway.  I was quite bold in those days, and went backstage and met Mr. Weede after the show.  He was so sweet and warm and kind and he arranged for me to see the show again that night, the closing performance.  He told me to come back after.  I did, and he invited me to the little cast party.  What a day and night that was, one I'll never forget.  When I first recounted this story in my old One from Column A column, I heard from Mr. Weede's son, Richard, who was very touched by my memories.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2004, 06:41:02 PM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2004, 06:43:43 PM »

Mr. Rhodes Reason (brother of Rex)!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2004, 06:50:45 PM »

The second example is Marc Shaiman's score for Down With Love, which just won't shut the hell up.  Virtually every scene is wallpapered with this "ain't-I-clever?" lounge muzak...it's distracting and annoying.  (Shaiman is actually a terrific composer...I can only assume he was told to layer it on really, really thick.)
During the "Evening With" benefit that Shaiman did for his hometown theater, he talked about having to score too many romantic comedies back to back, leading to a near-total block, an inability to write ANY music.  "Thank God for Celexa," he offered.  I applauded, knowing where he was coming from.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2004, 06:52:29 PM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?
I just got back from work.  And I've got to go to work ultra-early tomorrow morning, and again in the evening (my first split shift).  So I don't want to hear any complaints about my wussburgering.  It's all for a good cause: earning money to pay for der Brucer's dinners.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2004, 07:25:40 PM »

I lived in L.A. for a few years in the early 80s and discovered some good theatre, but many of the "Equity Waiver"  shows I went to seemed to be featuring actors who were auditioning for tv and movie casting directors.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up