Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HUGO'S  (Read 30596 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: HUGO'S
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 10:13:42 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

We're beginning to step up our planning for our January trip to England.  I have a bookmark on my computer for a London hotel called The Sanctuary House and I don't know why I bookmarked it.  Did someone here recommend it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »

One of the advantages of writing and directing for Roger Corman is that, when you get old, you get to be a celebrity guest at horror conventions.   

::)

I will be appearing and signing books/DVDs at the Son of Monsterpalooza horror convention.

The event is being held on October 26-28 at the Burbank Marriott Hotel Convention Center, which is just across the street from the Burbank Airport. 

For further details:

http://www.monsterpalooza.com/sonofmonsterpalooza/index.html

If you live in the Los Angeles area and have time and are in the neighborhood, please stop by and say "Hello,".
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLACATE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PICK YOURSELF UP

My "Ask BK" question:  You mentioned a book fair in Pasadena this weekend...How are the book fairs these days?  When I left, it had pretty much become dealers selling to dealers and the finds were few and far between.  Have they gotten any better or more interesting?  Being where I am these days, we don't much hear of book fairs anymore.  The Pulpfest in Columbus, Ohio, is the only one I get to now.

The one this weekend will be quite lame, I'm sure, which is what the Pasadena show had devolved to.  But the one this past February in Pasadena, the big one that used to be held near the airport and then in Century City - that one was great.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

No burgers?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »

I'm up - was up at eight-thirty thanks to hammering and the churning of a cement truck - they are doing so many tear downs around here that this will be going on for years.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Doug R!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:51:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »

We're beginning to step up our planning for our January trip to England.  I have a bookmark on my computer for a London hotel called The Sanctuary House and I don't know why I bookmarked it.  Did someone here recommend it?

Ginny, I know nothing of this hotel, except it's in a great location, walking distance to most of the major sites and, if you like to walk, most of the theatres.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »

Thanks for weighing in, DR Charles Pogue.  Any other recommendations?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »

I had a flu shot last week and had no reaction. In fact, I didn't even feel it.

Did you have one of those smaller needles? I've seen advertising and promotion for them since the Flu Shot season is upon us.

I didn't look. I never do.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »

Forgot to post this yesterday, but I went to visit the doctor for the first since surgery in February. No trace of cancer. I'm very happy at that news, as you can imagine.

Wonderful news!

John G.

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

I had a flu shot last week and had no reaction. In fact, I didn't even feel it.

Did you have one of those smaller needles? I've seen advertising and promotion for them since the Flu Shot season is upon us.

I didn't look. I never do.
I don't look, either. I don't mind the needle, but I don't want to have to see it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

This morning I gave a talk to some seniors who were on a field trip from their senior center. They didn't know why they were at a church until I began talking about our butterfly garden. Most of them were interested and asked lots of questions about the plants and caterpillars and the many butterflies flitting around. There was one lady who clearly thought all bugs should be killed. I guess that's what happens when your outing is a surprise.

Laura

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »

I took some caterpillars and chrysalises from my yard, plus we had a nice big monarch caterpillar at the church munching away at the top of a plant so it was easy to see.

Laura

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »

And that's all I had scheduled for today.

Ben

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »

And that's all I had scheduled for today.

Then you won't mind if I send you some of my work to do via e-mail  ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »

And I am home from the library. I just called to make an appointment to see my doctor for this malaise I am suffering, and her first free appointment is 16 days from now! This strikes me as completely ridiculous,  and I wasquite vocal about it. So the receptonist said she would contact the doctor and see what can be done. We'll see how this goes down.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »

Many thanks to:

Kerry
ArnoldMBrockman
Ginny
M Barnnum and
TCB

for the Birthday greetings.

Hmmmm . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »

Hmmm.  I wonder if anyone reads the notes anymore? 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »

There is a topic beyond Ask BK and yet there has not been a post about that topic?  Or did I miss it in my morning stupor?

John G.

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »

This morning I gave a talk to some seniors who were on a field trip from their senior center. They didn't know why they were at a church until I began talking about our butterfly garden. Most of them were interested and asked lots of questions about the plants and caterpillars and the many butterflies flitting around. There was one lady who clearly thought all bugs should be killed. I guess that's what happens when your outing is a surprise.

Great story, Laura. I can just see their faces.

I once covered a murder mystery dinner theater, except the hotel manager forgot to tell the seniors that that was they were experiencing. When the murder occurred, I thought several of the people were going to have a stroke. Not a nice surprise.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »

I don't see another topic:

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, do errands and whatnot, hopefully pick up some packages, write, eat, and then attend a seminar. Today’s topic of discussion: It's Ask BK Day, the day in which you get to ask me or any dear reader any old question you like and we get to give any old answer we like. So, let’s have loads of lovely questions and loads of lovely answers and loads of lovely postings, shall we, as I hit the road to dreamland, where my dreams will be accompanied by the music of Hugo Friedhofer.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Doug R!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

Good news!  I don't have listeria!

On Sunday, my sisters came for a visit and for a treat I bought two bags of Indiana brand kettlecorn.  Well, yesterday a report came out that the company was recalling bags of their popcorn because they were contaminated with listeria bacteria.  As luck would have it, we didn't finish the popcorn and I had put the leftovers into the bag so I was able to check it out when I got home.  Thankfully, the bag size was not among the list of recalled items.  I wouldn't doubt that the company will eventually recall all product so I'm holding onto the bags just in case.  But none of us have been experiencing any of the symptoms associated with listeria, so I guess we are in the clear.

The end.

Very good news, Dan (the Man)!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »

Forgot to post this yesterday, but I went to visit the doctor for the first since surgery in February. No trace of cancer. I'm very happy at that news, as you can imagine.

And Very Good News, John G.!

George

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »

And some other good news, EILEEN has arrived in Tumwater!

;D

Laura

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

I didn't see another topic, either. But then my eyes kinda glaze over with technical talk of films and music and transfers.

Laura

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »

I printed up Ginny's bingo cards from yesterday. And I printed up my drinking game list. (I will use M&Ms instead of alcohol, though.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »

By jiminy you're right - I had another topic in there and then pulled it at the last minute. 

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR DougR.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up