Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOND, JAMES BOND  (Read 41776 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: BOND, JAMES BOND
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »

Page 6
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:41:40 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »

The things you find out reading catalogs.  I had no idea that Thomas Kincaide had died.  I guess his death happened around the time I had my surgery, so I never read the paper.  How very sad.  54.
It was a horrible death. Very tragic for someone who didn't live the life that he sought to depict.

How did he die?  The only thing I found was that he died of natural causes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:42:11 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

I just saw a preview of ATLAS SHRUGGED.  Funny, I didn't recognize any scenes from the book.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »

The things you find out reading catalogs.  I had no idea that Thomas Kincaide had died.  I guess his death happened around the time I had my surgery, so I never read the paper.  How very sad.  54.
It was a horrible death. Very tragic for someone who didn't live the life that he sought to depict.

He was an alcoholic and he drank himself to death. Valium also involved.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/showbiz/thomas-kinkade-autopsy/index.html
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »

He was an alcoholic and he drank himself to death. Valium also involved.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/showbiz/thomas-kinkade-autopsy/index.html

Very tragic, especially for someone who's art brought such happiness to so many.  I loved a great many of his works.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:05:57 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »

I am headed to bed. Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »

BK, what is the theme for the next show?

We're calling it Mostly Rodgers and Hammerstein - meaning you'll get one or two Rodgers and Hart songs and one or two Rodgers and Sondheim songs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »

It was the end of an era when Sheriff John, LA's longest running live TV kiddie show host went off the air in the early 1970s.  Today the era is truly over - Sheriff John Rovick passed away at age ninety-three.  He was a part of so many LA kids' childhoods.  Thankfully, I got to tell him how much he meant to me and others and the notes will be my tribute to him.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »

It was the end of an era when Sheriff John, LA's longest running live TV kiddie show host went off the air in the early 1970s.  Today the era is truly over - Sheriff John Rovick passed away at age ninety-three.  He was a part of so many LA kids' childhoods.  Thankfully, I got to tell him how much he meant to me and others and the notes will be my tribute to him.

I am sorry to read that, BK.  In the Northwest, we lost our beloved J. P. Patches a few months ago.
“One thing’s universal,

ChasSmith

« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »

Oh no!  Another one.  So sorry to hear this.

Cillaliz

« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »

Today I went to the local farm and scored some pearl onions, okra, raw honey, and two monarch chrysalises that had fallen. They have milkweed growing because they love the butterflies. I brought them home so they will not get stepped on.

Will they still become butterflies if they aren't attached to the milkweed?  I wasn't sure if they get any nourishment from the milk weed while in the chrysalis stage

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »

http://siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyles/local/former-disney-channel-star-finds-a-new-audience-in-sioux/article_d34d3361-2179-5c8a-b375-60aa5b11e015.html

Don't know if I told you all about this, but I met this minister at the hootnanny I went to a while back.   I later read this story and found out he is a former Disney Channel star.  Who knew?   I've been pretty impressed with some of the things I've heard about him and that he posts on facebook.  I have a friend who goes to his church and they love him.  It's really near my house, so I'm thinking about going and checking it out.

ChasSmith

« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »

TOD:

First fried chicken?  No question about it -- Sunday dinners at home, or at grandparents' houses.

We stopped once at the original Colonel Sanders restaurant in Corbin, Kentucky, on a family road trip sometime around 1960.

I still love the KFC flavor recipe, but I've had chicken I thought was fried better.  Maybe it was Popeye's, but they're not here where I live and I've only had it once or twice.  I think most such places are not like real home-cooked fried chicken, anyway.  Someone correct me if I wrong, but isn't there a real difference between the fast food variety and the way your mother cooked it in a skillet?

In L.A. I used to get Pioneer Chicken because for some reason I thought it might be better than the ubiquitous KFC.  (I later discovered El Pollo Loco, but that isn't your typical fried chicken.)

Never had chicken and waffles, but have wanted to experience it since my first reading of MILDRED PIERCE.

Oh!!!  I've been trying to remember a place, and I believe I should

Ask BK:

Do you recall a quaint little old-timey standalone fried chicken restaurant on Wilshire Blvd., somewhere around the Miracle Mile, maybe a little east of there, north side of street?  Don't remember how good it was, but I had fun eating there once in the 70s.

ChasSmith

« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »

HOLLYWOOD

This will be completely by memory, and it spans too many years to accurately represent just the period of time I lived there (1972-75).  I returned often during my next few years in Beverly Hills, a bit less during the 80s when I lived on Beverly Drive (near Cashio), Mentone Ave. in Palms, and in “The Village at Redondo Beach” overlooking the Boardwalk.  Went back more frequently again during 1987-89 when I lived in West Hollywood (Kings Rd., a block south of Santa Monica).

I tried to organize this as a walk, with everything listed block by block, but it didn't work.  I can’t be that accurate with regard to placement of every last thing, so it made more sense to take things by category.

MOVIE THEATERS.  Just kill me now.  L.A. was the best place in the world for movie theaters, but Hollywood itself was something even beyond that.  BK had it better, because by the time I got there, road show engagements, and big premieres themselves, were pretty much dead.  But the theaters!  When I think back to the movie palaces I took for granted – the Chinese, Loew’s Paramount, Egyptian, Hollywood Pacific, Pantages, the Cinerama Dome.  The more normal ones like the Hollywood, Vogue, Fox, Holly. Vine, and the Pix.  (I think the other one BK knew was already a Pussycat by the time I got there.)  All within a short walk from the apartment.  Paradise unequalled.  I would list some movies remembered from each one, but we’d be here all night.

To be continued...

ChasSmith

« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »

RECORD STORES.  Take me back.  Please.  Phil Harris.  Vogue Records.  (I’m pretty sure they had a store there in addition to the one in Westwood.)  That storefront might later have become a Peaches or some such – I know there were one or two on the south side of Hollywood Blvd. 

Oh wait, BK says Discount Record Center.  And other little independent stores, one where I was thrilled to find my first bootleg soundtrack LPs:  Marnie and Vertigo.  Both of which someone later borrowed and never returned.  Wallich’s Music City.  Sadly, I recall feeling Wallich's was already a ghost of some magnificent former self by the time I got there.  I might be forgetting other Hollywood record stores, but I'm remembering Phil Harris and Vogue were my main ones.

(This still doesn't feel right.  Am I remember right about Vogue being there?)

Laura

« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »

Today I went to the local farm and scored some pearl onions, okra, raw honey, and two monarch chrysalises that had fallen. They have milkweed growing because they love the butterflies. I brought them home so they will not get stepped on.

Will they still become butterflies if they aren't attached to the milkweed?  I wasn't sure if they get any nourishment from the milk weed while in the chrysalis stage

They do all their eating when they are caterpillars, Cillaliz. They are in some strange state of reforming everything when in the chrysalis. I have all the ones I could find tied and hanging in a zipped up laundry hamper.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

ChasSmith

« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »

MUSIC STORES.  Wallich’s, of course.  But there was a small, serious classical music store on Hollywood Blvd., which might not have lasted too long after I got there because my memories of it are scant.  (I just ran to look at a couple of opera scores I bought there in 1972, hoping to find a name, but it’s not on them.)  

One great find at Phil Harris Records was something I hadn’t known existed:  Bernard Herrmann’s “Wuthering Heights” in a British LP box set.  I grabbed it, and the next day I asked at the music store on Hollywood if there was a published score.  I think they actually had it in stock that day, and I grabbed that as well.  Still have both, in beautiful condition, and I treasure those suckers.

This was civilization.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »

MUSIC STORES.  Wallich’s, of course.  But there was a small, serious classical music store on Hollywood Blvd., which might not have lasted too long after I got there because my memories of it are scant.  (I just ran to look at a couple of opera scores I bought there in 1972, hoping to find a name, but it’s not on them.)  

One great find at Phil Harris Records was something I hadn’t known existed:  Bernard Herrmann’s “Wuthering Heights” in a British LP box set.  I grabbed it, and the next day I asked at the music store on Hollywood if there was a published score.  I think they actually had it in stock that day, and I grabbed that as well.  Still have both, in beautiful condition, and I treasure those suckers.

This was civilization.

Oy, how could I forget Vogue!  Discount Record Center was on the south side of the street and wasn't around long.  Interestingly, I also got Wuthering Heights at Phil Harris, and years before that's where I purchased my first opera recording, Robert Ward's The Crucible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

Chas, I don't remember the chicken place on Wilshire.

ChasSmith

« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:36 PM »

BOOK STORES.  The wonderful Pickwick Books, which I think became B. Dalton-Pickwick before it began its own slide into something ordinary.  I’d never lived within walking distance of any bookstore, let alone a decent one, and Pickwick was the greatest treat.  

Its upstairs room, kind of a half-floor mezzanine as I recall, was the site of my first earthquake – just a small routine one - but it was a thrill, coming within my first month or so there, and I was so happy at having experienced it.  I told everyone at work about it.  Called the family in Ohio.  I had arrived.

Sadly, I wasn’t into books in any way similar to the way I am now, or the way I’d like to be, so all of those wonderful stores BK can talk about…well, I remember them (Cherokee Books, the little stores on side streets), but I’m afraid they meant little to me then, and well, that just kills me.  (Think of the collection I might have now, if only I’d known…)  Later I began to gain some appreciation for secondhand and out-of-print books, and was happy to discover Book City.

There was Larry Edmunds, of course, and I have some books from 1972 with their stamp in them.  I was dazzled by all of the film stuff, and though I (FOOLISHLY) didn’t acquire as many things as I should have, (and could have!), I treasure the few one-sheets, lobby cards, and 8x10s bought there for a pittance, much of it Hitchcock.  There was also another store – Bennett’s – near the iconic Security Pacific Bank building (first L.A. checking account) at Hollywood and Highland, where I also found a few things.

BK mentioned the Las Palmas newsstand.  Loved those, especially the one on Cahuenga with its indoor sections.  I think all good newsstands are pretty great places, but those L.A. ones were very special, being my first.  Even later in the 80s, anywhere in town I’d drive by one I hadn’t known about, I’d slam on the brakes and get out to browse.

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »

They do all their eating when they are caterpillars, Cillaliz. They are in some strange state of reforming everything when in the chrysalis. I have all the ones I could find tied and hanging in a zipped up laundry hamper.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.  Glad you are saving them

ChasSmith

« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »

RESTAURANTS.  Oy!  Where to even begin?  Guess I’ll just start naming ‘em like I did for Beverly Hills.  

And that, DRs, will have to be tomorrow, because it’s 1:30 in the AM and I'm seriously wiped after a very long and full day.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:41:43 PM by ChasSmith »

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »

Time for bed, I didn't realize it was so late.   

Laura

« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »

Cillaliz, when I give a talk, I say that the caterpillars are children, the chrysalis is the teenager, and the butterfly is the adult. I think they're onto something there.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »

http://siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyles/local/former-disney-channel-star-finds-a-new-audience-in-sioux/article_d34d3361-2179-5c8a-b375-60aa5b11e015.html

Don't know if I told you all about this, but I met this minister at the hootnanny I went to a while back.   I later read this story and found out he is a former Disney Channel star.  Who knew?   I've been pretty impressed with some of the things I've heard about him and that he posts on facebook.  I have a friend who goes to his church and they love him.  It's really near my house, so I'm thinking about going and checking it out.

What a neat story!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2012, 12:01:17 AM »

A Very Happy (almost belated) Birthday to DR JMK!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up