Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHERIFF JOHN  (Read 31960 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: SHERIFF JOHN
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »

Page 5

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:57:32 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »

Just watched the scene where they take Shelby off life support...

I don't remember that scene, but maybe I am thinking of the play.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:58:08 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2012, 07:59:10 PM »

Why doesn't our 1 Guest post?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »

I hope the show goes well tonight.  As if there is any doubt.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »

Damn!  I keep forgetting to ask elmore what the next show is that will be recorded.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »

Had some good news about Sharon.  She is off dialysis (sp?) but for a good reason.  She still can't have visitors and will probably be in the hospital for 3 months.  I've started talking about doing a fundraiser for her once we are sure she is out of the woods.  She still needs a couple more surgeries to get all the infection, but at least the news is better today

That is good news.  I will keep her in my prayers.

Thanks!

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

Good news about Sharon! I hope they can get it all.

Thanks Elmore

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »

Had some good news about Sharon.  She is off dialysis (sp?) but for a good reason.  She still can't have visitors and will probably be in the hospital for 3 months.  I've started talking about doing a fundraiser for her once we are sure she is out of the woods.  She still needs a couple more surgeries to get all the infection, but at least the news is better today

That is good news.  I will keep her in my prayers.

Thanks!

That's great news.

Am starting to catch up from the back in reverse order.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »

Thanks JRand and Jane and everyone else concerned about Sharon.   Jane, I also hope that she won't lose any more limbs, but I don't think so.  I was told they need to do more work where they operated before.  It's a nasty thing and if you don't get it all you have to keep going back.  Hers started with the same step bacterial that causes strep throat.  I dont' get how or why some people get this and others don't, but I'm reading more and trying to understand.

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »

So....what do I know....saw a really cool William Steele house today that had an open house.   It was amazing and in fabulous shape.  Some friends of mine were actually there looking at it when I stopped by the open house.   It would be perfect for them, but don't know if they want to spend that much money. 

Do you have a link for it?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19-38th-St-Sioux-City-IA-51104/87122991_zpid/

We all think the price is high for the area

ChasSmith

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »

RESTAURANTS and other eateries

Musso and Frank – After living there for a while I finally ventured in to see what it was all about, and entered a whole different world.  But not a strange world; somehow this had always existed for me.  It was a world come true.  It was a Saturday afternoon and very few people were in there.  I sat at the counter and ordered eggs with (probably) ham, and had a Manhattan, followed by coffee.  I was blown away by the white linen place settings at the counter.  And of course the old-time waiters.  I loved every last thing about the place.

Diamond Jim’s – Oh, what a loss.  What an incredible place.  This one was gone maybe a year or two after I arrived, but there was at least one other I knew about (on Wilshire, west of the 405 - ?) that I got to a couple of times.  I think I first ordered eggs in here, too.  No, I know what it was -- a spinach omelet with extra spinach on the side.  And a Manhattan.  (Yes!  It’s true.)  As I recall, the place had a waiter vibe similar to Musso and Frank.

Hamburger Hamlet (No. 10) – Another incredible loss.  There are too many reasons I loved the Hamlet to try to list, so just a few highlights.  My favorite burger in the whole world, if it still existed as prepared by them, would be the #11/#32.  I believe the low number series was the half-pound burgers, and the 30’s were the quarter-pound.  The large one was the first thing I had upon ignorantly wandering into the place on that short visit in summer 1971.  Fairly simple, really, just a medium-rare (it was always perfect—always!) patty with cheese (probably American), chopped raw onions, and what they called “Russian” dressing but it was really Thousand Island.  I’ve since found that a lot of places call it Russian, that wasn’t unique to them.  And fries.  That’s it.  But their beef and charbroiling (I think) was incredibly perfect for my taste.

Saw lots of famous faces in that location.  I fondly remember the day I was sitting at the counter around the “corner” (it was a “J”-shaped counter and I was at the tip of the “J”) from Eddie Egan – he’s the actual cop in The French Connection, who played his own boss to Gene Hackman.  He was living out there then, getting more acting parts.  He was sitting at the counter chain-smoking cigarettes and chain-drinking coffee while reading a handwritten letter over and over.  I so wanted to speak with him for a moment -- but I didn’t feel right about it, and didn’t.  Now I kind of wish I had.

Watched the 1973 Academy Awards broadcast in the bar there (the one for which Brando didn’t show up to accept his Oscar?), over my #11 and drinking a (you guessed it) Manhattan.  I believe I was having that one on the rocks.

Took me a while, but I just recalled the names – Harry and Marilyn Lewis – the couple who started Hamburger Hamlet and created its vibe with the faux-Shakespearean theme that permeated everything.  It was a little heavy-handed, even back then, but I’d welcome it all back in an instant.  I haven’t begun to communicate why I found this such an all-around great place.  

BTW, I didn't just love store no. 10.  Other favorites were Sunset Blvd. (west end of the Strip), Westwood (next to the Bruin), and whichever street that was in Beverly Hills.  I'm afraid you're doomed to hearing more from me on this subject whether you want to or not.

More eats to come...

John G.

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

Busy day. It was cold here with weather in the 50s and a chilling breeze, so, of course, we had to sit outside to sign books. We sold a case of books, which was nice. But I was glad to get indoors where it was warm.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »

Am enjoying the nostalgia posts from bk and ChasSmith.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »

We're here all week!

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2012, 09:01:53 PM »

I'm watching the Lifetime re-make of STEEL MAGNOLIAS.  The jury is still out...
I think it is on here tomorrow on our new station Lifetime Canada. But I do not think I will watch it.

I have no interest in watching it.

I don't have any interest in watching it either. I really loved the first Steel Magnolias, have no desire to see another

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »

Break a leg and good show vibes to BK~~~~~~

~~~DITTO (if it's not too late)!!~~~ 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Very good news about Sharon!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »

And George must be ushering some show tonight.

Yes I was...and then I went out for dinner.  I'm home now ketchuping on posts.

John G.

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »

Watched a fun flick tonight: "Our Man in Havana." It was no "The Third Man," but the combination of Carol Reed and Graham Greene was solid, and the cast, especially Ernie Kovaks, seemed to be enjoying themselves throughout.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »

The show was pretty amazing - an evening filled with highlights.  I'll go into detail in the notes, but I was VERY happy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up