Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 26  (Read 41590 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 26
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »

And here we are, another Monday.

That's all I've got

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »

and a page two dance

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »

I forgot about Flower Drum Song!  I'll have a little of that LOVE LOOK AWAY, too, if you don't mind.  Thank you, DR Jrand62.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »

Hope you're all hungry, because it's time for:

MORE EATS

Two Guys From Italy – behind the boulevard, north side, off of Las Palmas or maybe McCadden, faced onto the parking lot.  I LOVED this place.  I think the “Guys” type of name was ubiquitous for pizza but this was more than that – a comfortable neighborhood red sauce Italian jernt with a bar in the front and a couple of dining rooms.  I swear I can remember the texture and taste of the pizza, and I’d kill for a slice now.  Broke a tooth on it one evening, resulting in my first root canal and crown.  Loved the lasagna.  Loved it all.  They don’t make ’em like this anymore.

George’s (? - something - ?) – hamburger stand, NE corner at McCadden or Las Palmas

BTW, pizza was 33 cents per slice, everywhere, up and down the street

Orange Julius – really got to like the original drink, and I believe I enjoyed more than a few of their hot dogs and maybe a burger.

Magoo’s – enormously popular, but like BK said, nothing great.

Greek Diner – that’s not the name, it was another coffee shop type of thing, but I enjoyed a few greasy breakfasts there.  I think this was in the same block as Magoo’s.  As I recall, these places burned down mysteriously, but my memory is vague on that whole thing, the timing, etc., and what replaced them.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:29:18 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

Swensen’s – this came later, I think, and I've never been excited about them.  I guess it was a C.C. Brown's type of thing?  If so, a pale imitation.

Love’s Wood Pit BBQ – oh, take me back.  There were many, but this was my first and my favorite location.  Don’t know why this wouldn’t have lasted longer than it did.  (I also very fondly remember the one on Pico, west of Beverly Dr., when I was living down there.)

House of Pies – I don’t remember what they had besides pie, but that’s probably what I had most of the time.  Had a couple of favorites which I’m wracking my brain trying to recall now –banana cream; blueberry; something with raisins?  Great people-watching window seats.

Coffee Dan’s – near the Hollywood Theater (was there more than one?)  I wish I could remember it better than I do.  I’m picturing kind of a dark interior (or not a typical coffee shop look), booths running front to back (?).  I think there was an omelet with bananas and raisins that was a favorite – and no, I’m not conflating it with House of Pies. 

Read it and weep:  http://goo.gl/Q0Ewi

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:22 AM »

Johnny’s Steak House – An iconic place on the boulevard but I think I was only in there a few times.  Wish I could remember something about the food.  Or maybe it’s better to quit while I’m ahead?

Stars Deli (or New York Deli?) – nothing great.  NE corner at Cahuenga or Ivar.

There was a bar/restaurant on the north side near Vine (west of the Cave – mustn’t forget the Cave!) whose name totally escapes me but I enjoyed going in there a few times for a drink and a sandwich.  Aldo’s?  Something short like that.  Googie-style front?

Ontra Cafeteria – on Vine, north of Hollywood – and how I wish I’d taken greater advantage of having it there.  Loved that building.  If cafeterias were still around, they’d be a guilty pleasure.

Brown Derby – on Vine.  Only in there once, sorry to say -- don't ask me why because I don't know.

There was kind of an upscale coffee shop or luncheonette across the street from the Derby that I liked.

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »

Oddly, I’m not remembering much eating on the south side of the boulevard, other than Coffee Dan’s, and one storefront that seemed to house one fast food place after another, one being the short-lived West Castle (a White Castle imitation) in the late 70s.  (They had one in the Valley and in Long Beach, too.  I was one who loved it, but it didn’t last long.)  I’m thinking SE corner at Cherokee. 

Seven Seas – no, I never got in there, but I have to salute it as a long-standing iconic presence.

At La Brea I have to take us around the corner and down to Sunset.  There’s no choice in the matter.  The Tiny Naylor’s drive-in there was one of those things that should NEVER have been permitted to be destroyed.  Feast your eyes:  http://goo.gl/pLTtm

And across the street, another great favorite, the Copper Penny:  http://goo.gl/VW3b6

International House of Pancakes – on Sunset.  (To this day, I hate calling them IHOPs, even though I have to so people will know what I’m talking about – and original architecture only, if you please.)  I think there’s been a favorite one of these in or near every place I’ve ever lived.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 08:49:52 AM »

Just read the notes. Glad to hear the show last night went so well. That is great!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »

Strange bedfellows!  American Express is teaming up with WalMart to introduce a new debit / credit card. 

The lion and lamb shall lay down together.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:04 AM »

Strange bedfellows!  American Express is teaming up with WalMart to introduce a new debit / credit card. 

That's sort of strange since Amex is so heavily into Costco. But anything for a buck, right?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to DR Jennifer and any other Canadians who may be reading this

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »

One thing I learned when I was a government employee is how nice the three day weekends are and how they can really help to recharge, so I decided that we will take off the same holidays that the courthouses are closed.  Today isn't a state holiday, but we're taking it off anyway.  This weekend I really needed it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »

Sorry you didn't win the trip to Paris DR GINNY.  I was looking forward to the photos.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »

Sorry you didn't win the trip to Paris DR GINNY.  I was looking forward to the photos.

Oh, well, DR JRand, I'll have England photos in January!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »

DR Cilla thanks for the house link.  I wasn't familiar with William Steele houses.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 09:48:23 AM »

DR Chas it is a shame there aren't many Hamburger Hamlet's left.  My brother misses the one that was near him.  Mostly I ate at the one in Beverly Hills except during the years I worked at the Bruin.  Their chocolate milk shakes were the best.  Their chocolate cake was pretty darn good as was their garlic bread.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »

Thanks for the good wishes, DR Jane!  To answer your question, I'm taking the train to Philly.

Good choice.  It is a nice train ride.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »

We are back from a wonderful weekend in DC. It couldn't have been lovelier. We had a smooth, pleasant train trip (both ways), a great hotel (with a few hiccups) and wonderful friends and all in all it couldn't have been better.

All honeymoons should be so perfect. :)

Jane

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »

I forgot to mention, the Hamlet was one of the first restaurants to offer a tasty & healthy vegetarian sandwich.  It sure beat ordering a cheeseburger without the burger.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »

Swensen’s –

I wasn't a big fan either.

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »

DR Cilla thanks for the house link.  I wasn't familiar with William Steele houses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L._Steele
Here's more about William Steele.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

Very unusual... I have always associated AMEX with people with big pocket books like Trump and others. Very interesting union.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »

The same to you also... I have a number of Canadian relatives..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »

Let's bring some closure for the time being, to this trip through Hollywood, with one final blast of

MISCELLANOUS!

Hughes Market – at Highland and Franklin.  Amazingly, many memories tied up with that store, my first L.A. supermarket.  Likewise...

Lee Drugs – the angled doorway at the SW corner of Hollywood and Highland.

(Moving out there from Ohio, it was a thrill to find liquor departments in drugstores and supermarkets.)

Hollywood Piano and Organ (not sure about the name) – on Highland across from Max Factor.  When they finally closed – I’m thinking roughly ten years ago – I  happened to catch a small article about it on the L.A. Times web site, and I wrote a short note of remembrance and thanks which they ended up selecting for publication.  I’d rented an old Steinway baby grand there for the apartment on Franklin, $40 per month.  (I said $20 in my note but I think it was $40.)

Newberry’s – a classic five-and-dime, and there might have been another that I’m blanking on.

Frederick’s of Hollywood, of course -- opposite my corner.

Larry Edmunds – Thank you for the origianl “Psycho” one-sheet.

The Magic Store and the Army/Navy store.

The camera stores!  Not sure of the name, but a large one (similar to Bel-Air in Westwood) where I bought my first good camera, a now-classic Olympus rangefinder.  I so wish I’d kept that, but I traded it in a couple of years later on their new OM-1 which I bought at Mel Pierce Camera (farther east on Hollywood Blvd., closer to Western Ave.).  This store ("Something" Photo and Sound) eventually moved into a larger space on Sunset near the Dome, but the original store was on Cahuenga (that later became an Alexander’s Stationers), down a little and across the street from:

Lloyd’s Camera Exchange.  FASCINATING place.  Dark, mysterious, piled to the rafters with all manner of stuff for rental.  Before buying my own SLR I rented an old one from them and spent a couple of my pre-car days walking around Hollywood, even up a little ways into the hills, shooting slides.  This place was a Hollywood classic.

The Broadway – RIP, old friend.  I loved the classic department stores.  Always will.

Oh, here’s a good one, on Sunset Blvd. – "Crossroads of the World" --
http://www.crossroadshollywood.com/

One day I heard about something that sounded kind of interesting, and I went and sat in a little second-story office there with a couple dozen other people, listening to Al Kasha, who had just won the Oscar for the song “The Morning After” from The Poseidon Adventure, chatting about that and various other things.  I think that was my only time to go into this unique little arcade.

Which also brings to mind a thing called Sherwood Oaks Experimental College which sponsored a weekly series of seminars on Hitchcock.  They were held in a second-story space in – I think – the building at the NW corner of Hollywood and Ivar.  I sent in the outrageous sum of fifty bucks and enjoyed several very informal evenings with the likes of Bruce Dern, Tippi Hedren, Jimmy Stewart (who shared his 16mm print of Rear Window), Joseph Stefano, John Forsythe, and (get ready for it) Miklos Rozsa – whose chat I most remember for his relating of how many of his Biblical film scores had been destroyed or had otherwise disappeared, and they had to reconstruct them from the earlier soundtrack recordings and sketch scores for later recordings to be made.  I need to dig out the pictures I took of these people.

That is all.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:47:24 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »

DR Chas it is a shame there aren't many Hamburger Hamlet's left.  My brother misses the one that was near him.  Mostly I ate at the one in Beverly Hills except during the years I worked at the Bruin.  Their chocolate milk shakes were the best.  Their chocolate cake was pretty darn good as was their garlic bread.

The "hot fudge cake" with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.  Incredible.

Another one was the apple pie with rum-raisin sauce, ice cream, melted cheese...

John G.

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »

Swensen’s –

I wasn't a big fan either.

The ice cream was never as good as the show around the ice cream.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »

Just read that Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman are calling it quits. That's sad.
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »

Chas,

Thanks for sharing your journey... Now I am hungry  :-)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »

Just read that Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman are calling it quits. That's sad.

That is sad...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up