Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES ACCOMPANIED BY AUTOHARP  (Read 27974 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re: NOTES ACCOMPANIED BY AUTOHARP
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »

Good evening one and all!

Vibes to one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »

Page Six HOP!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »

Tomorrow evening I am driving up to Lake Oswego to former DR JMK's home where I will meet with he and the errant and truant DR Edisaurus who is visiting the Pacific Northwest, showing her latest feature documentary in Portland.

This will be my first time meeting DR Edisaurus, and I am greatly looking forward to it!

Sadly, I am unable to make it to the screening on Friday evening.  :-\

I can only imagine what our former dear reader will be saying. :)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:40 PM »

Growing up on ND....

I know this will not be a thrilling and exciting as those individuals who grew up in more urban settings.

I grew up in rural North Dakota with the smell of prairie grasses, farm equipment and animals. My grandparents lived on the farm and I visited them frequently. I loved to go there and play in the trees and with the dogs, in addition to eating my fill of fresh strawberries and fresh molasses cookies. I had a lot of great memories from my visit to my paternal grand parents. It was always fun to go Sunday visiting with them and listen to the older relatives talk and exchange tales. The Sunday visits were always topped off with a visit to Fankhanels Variety store or Dairy Queen in Hillsboro. It was fun to get the little rootbeer candies that Fankhanels has in glass jars on the counter. There were many, many glass jars t choose a treat.  It was very difficult to make a decision of what to choose because there were so many choices.

My grandmother's house always had wonderful smells of baking especially cinnamon rolls, snickerdoodles, and homemade bread. It was fun to help her knead the bread as she would let me "Punch" it like a punching bag. It was fan making homemade GErman noodles and using a blow dryer to get them to dry as the humidity was high one time when we were making  them. It was great to share many memories and experiences with my grandparents.

It was also fun to get to ride in the cab of a combine or the tractor. It never ceases to amaze how they drive can drive in straight line over and over again and have the rows turn out perfectly. 

GRand Forks.... now that is another matter... I will continue that in a new post

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:58:08 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »

I grew up in a very, very small town in NOrth Dakota. Population when I was a kid was around 300 people in Thompson. My paternal grandparents, who I spent many summers with, lived near an even smaller town of 150, called Reynolds. Since both towns were close to Grand Forks, you could get the bare necessities that you needed but one did most of their shopping in Grand Forks. The small town I lived in, had a bank, elevator, fire station, gas station/implement dealer, and a bar with a checkered past. The bar also was a strip club at one time.  There was a grocery store at one time until the proprietor retired when i was bout 11 years old.  There was also a hardware store but I vaguely remember them along with a ceramics shop and a hair salon.  The town I lived in did have a school and I prefer not to dwell on my experiences there due to being bullied and tormented due to my hearing loss. The only businesses that remain from my childhood are the grain elevator, fire station, bank, bar and gas station.

Grand Forks....

My earliest memories of Grand Forks was going to K-Mart, S & H and Norby's as a kid for school clothes and grocery. I do recall going to a Kegs and King Leo as a kid for hamburgers and Root beer. We also had an A&W drive-in for a time also. 

I recall Crazy DAys in the summer when i was a kid. WE used to get up super early in the morning and we went shopping to get deals on back to school clothes and other things. I do remember going to Vanity, Angel Wings (A Canadian Store that specialized in Jeans), Griffiths and Norby's in Downtown Grand Forks.  JCPenneys and Woolworths were here also.

South Forks Plaza in south Grand Forks was the first mall to open in Grand Forks and I vaguely recall them as a kid in the early 1970s. The stores that were in the mall included a sporting goods store, KMart, Sears,  Skip's Drug, movie theatre, Stonegate Pet, Turk's corner, hallmark, RAdio Shack, Nelson's hobby hut, and several clothes stores. The mall has mostly closed and been re-purprosed with the exception of the bar that moved into the mall in the early 1990s, Stonegate Pets, Radio Shack and Skip['s drug are still there with KMart as the anchor.

I loved going to Turk's corner and that is where I had my first taste of Turkish coffee. I twas a mysterious little shop with wonderful copper work and middle eastern creations. The gentleman who owned the shop was an emigrant from Turkey and one of the nicest people I ever met.

There was a Bonanza REstaurant nearby on Washington Street. Further down on Washington was a Shakey's Pizza, Mr. Steak and Happy Joe's Pizza. There was later another restaurant called Toppers that made the best hamburgers. That restaurant burned in 1995.

Later memories include the opening of Columbia Mall and being a mall rat at times. I did get to meet two soap opera actors when they came to Grand Forks on a tour, Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell. The mall has been renovated several times and stores have come and gone. My favorite in the mall when it opened was Waldenbooks, B Daltons and Record shop. Loved to read as a kid and I also enjoyed music.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:08:52 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »

In a post last week I mentioned REd Pepper...

REd Pepper is an institution in Grand Forks and a rite of passage among some students is experiencing a Grinder from REd Pepper.. They are great!

I do recall going to wedding dances in both REynolds and in Grand Forks. The ones in REynolds were held in the old KC building that had wonderful hardwood floors to dance on and stairwells to explore. The fun was after the wedding dance going out to eat at a restaurant in Grand Forks at 12 am in the morning. That was not an easy feat and it was usually a truck stop since ND was still under the veil of Sunday Closing laws and sidewalks were usually rolled up by 6 or 7.

The thing I remember about Columbia Mall when it first opened what the poor drainage of the street near it. The mall was still mostly surrounded by farmland that was not developed and the street was was lower than the surrounding fields. We used to nickname it Greenberg Canal after a heavy rain for the water ran into the street and you ran the risk of hydroplaning while driving in ti.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »

Now we're down to thirteen GUESTS?  That hasn't happened for three weeks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »

They must all be off soaking their feet in brine.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

Tomorrow evening I am driving up to Lake Oswego to former DR JMK's home where I will meet with he and the errant and truant DR Edisaurus who is visiting the Pacific Northwest, showing her latest feature documentary in Portland.

This will be my first time meeting DR Edisaurus, and I am greatly looking forward to it!

Sadly, I am unable to make it to the screening on Friday evening.  :-\

Have a great time!  I wish I could go.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »

The Theater Artists Olympia board meeting tonight was short and sweet.  There wasn't much new business and our upcoming co-production with Prodigal Son Productions of one-acts opens this Friday.  The problem is that TAO has not been involved too much...at all, really.  They just took over the event and we're paying for half of it.  One person at tonight's meeting said that she was told by one of the actors that as of last night, they had had only two rehearsals...AND THEY OPEN ON FRIDAY!  I guess it's a pretty short one-act, but still, only two rehearsals??

I'm sure that it'll be fine. ::)

:D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »

Have fun MBarnum!

George

« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

So, I'm also the treasurer of my union at work and I need to apply for an Employee Identification Number (EIN), and I can do it on-line, but ONLY during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. Eastern time (Monday - Friday) and on Saturday from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern time.

???

If it's on-line, why can't it be 24 hours?  Whatever...I'll do it in the morning. :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up