Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES ACCOMPANIED BY AUTOHARP  (Read 27974 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: NOTES ACCOMPANIED BY AUTOHARP
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 07:27:47 AM »

TOD:  My town was Cincinnati.  The biggest way it's changed is there is a lot less of downtown.  We used to have four or five department stores (one of which was Pogue's...probably a relation, but not one I would be inheriting any money from),  a half dozen really big movie palaces, most clustered around Fountain Square, the center and heart of downtown, and several bookstores.  Only one of those bookstores survives today...Ohio Bookstore, it is now owned by a man who used to work there ever since I starting coming in it at about 12-13.  Until a year or so ago,  his main employee was another man who was a few years older than me who used to work there (he reitred).  It is a wonderful old bookstore on Main Street, with five floors of books.  You'd have to go down an aisle and turn on the light switches.  It was also un-air-conditioned andcould get very hot in the summer.  A few doors up the street from them was Neville's Antiques run by a very lovely elderly couple who also sold books, and further up the street was Betrand Smith's Acres of Books, another used bookstore of five or six floors of books.  Years later, I was delighted to find a Betrand Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, California.  Apparently, Mr. Smith sold the store in Cincy (or handed it off to relatives) and moved to California and set up another delightfully cluttered bookstore.  Alas, both Betrand Smiths are now gone with the wind.  My favourite place to eat in Cincy was THE WHEEL which was a cafeteria.  There was also another place I and friends would go to when we went over to Cincy for book-hunting jaunts, called the Luau, which was an all-you-could-eat place for a couple of bucks.  I also remember Wulitzer where we kids took music lessons,  the electric train display GE used to set up every Christmas, and the hippy, bohemian vibe of Mt. Adams up on the hill overlooking Downtown and near Eden Park which was full of wonderful museums and the Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, which is still my favourite regional theatre.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »

In the notes, BK says, about Lotte Lenya:  "...one of the great Bond villains, Rosa Klebb and her scenes are electrifying and brilliant. It’s too bad she didn’t do a lot, film-wise."

As a kid seeing this, I didn't appreciate who she was.  Now I watch FROM RUSSIA and see as seasoned a pro as anyone, and have to wonder where that seasoning came from with so little film experience.  Electrifying is the word.  She always was, of course, on records, and I have to assume on stage.  I will have to find the other movies she's in (I have 3 PENNY).  I don't think I've seen THE APPOINTMENT, or either of the two Tennessee Williams ones.

Lenya is fantastic in THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS STONE!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »

Great photos, Ben! Looks like you had a wonderful honeymoon.

I don't suppose G. Washington would have been very happy with the statue of him looking like he is just out of the shower.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 07:43:21 AM »

Greetings from Toyland. The pressure in my eyes is back to normal so Dr Moazed and I are both very happy.

Back to the charts!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »

I grew up in Scottsdale, AZ, before Scottsdale became "Scottsdale." My house is 50 years old. This town started to really grow in the 50s and 60s. As Scottsdale spread north it became upper income. The people up north refer to us as "SoSco" now, since we are working class people and they don't want to be associated with us. We make sure we say we are from south Scottsdale, so people we meet don't think we are from the fancy part of town. Although I don't suppose mistaking me for an upper class person is very likely.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »

TOD:

Restaurants: We didn't eat out much when I was a kid. That was an unnecessary luxury since Mom is a good cook. But when we did eat out, it was something that she could not or would not fix. That usually meant Chinese, and it most often meant the Oriental House, which was just up the street from the house. It had one of those red-lacquered interiors, so popular among Chinese restaurants at the time, and was made even more ornate by the addition of Asian statuary, scrolls and the like.

We were friends with the owners at the time, the Tengs, who were Japanese, not Chinese. Both of my older sisters worked there in high school. I worked back in the kitchen one day. They would have hired me, except I was only 14 and it wasn't legal. So, my one day's pay was off the books.

The food was typical Chinese-America fare, but it was always well prepared. Me, with my sweet tooth, developed a love for sweet and sour dishes, though I also liked egg foo yung and any of the shrimp dishes.

One of the highlights of the year was that Tengs would invite us to their customer Christmas party where we were treated to a multi-course feast with dishes such as shark-fin soup and Chinese spare ribs.

The Oriental House is still open, though ownership has changed through the years. It is now a buffet, and my parents still walk up there on occasion to treat themselves to this food they would never otherwise get.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:56 AM »

TOD - Fort Lauderdale

Its small but wonderful old downtown is now a horrible new downtown.  Nothing's left except the shells of little more than one block of buildings that housed some of the smaller stores, and the one large block-size department store, Burdines, that was turned into government offices years ago.

MOVIE THEATERS:  The Florida and Warnor downtown, the Sunrise Cinemas I & II, the Coral Ridge, the Plantation, and the Gateway (mentioned a couple of days ago) are, quite literally, places of my dreams.  I still try to return to them.  Only the Gateway still exists -- long ago divided into four theaters, and the vertical component of the original signage is long gone -- but it still exists, and that's the only thing there that does.

We had to drive down to Miami or Miami Beach for most road show engagements.  Those were always very special occasions, usually done on a Sunday afternoon.  

BOOK & RECORD STORES:  The main one was Gaul's Books and Records whose original store was downtown next to the Florida Theater, and they also had a newer store in one of the shopping centers that I believe was more like an early mall.  A piano and organ store in another shopping center had a nice record selection, as did the Burdines Department Store and Britt's, a new department store in one of the shopping centers.  I remember one other record store in another shopping center.  In those days, certain other stores such as the larger drugstores and some electronics stores very often maintained a small record department.  But those small selections were good ones -- they carried things that are real collectibles today.

My first real book store was actually a downtown newsstand, a fairly large store full of comic books, magazines, and paperbacks.  A number of my favorite movie tie-in paperbacks were found there, and on the revolving paperback racks in drugstores.  Going into any such store, I always looked for the paperbacks.  I'm even remembering a small mom-and-pop market that had paperbacks worth finding.

Our little trips to Miami Beach for road show movies led me to discovering some of the nice book and record stores Maimi had to offer, and I soon began taking a bus down there just to browse and buy a few things myself, and later got to drive the family car to Miami for that and to attend a few plays and concerts.

LIVE THEATER:  Fort Lauderdale got the Parker Playhouse in the mid-1960s, where I saw Ethel Merman in "Call Me Madam" and a few other things that came around.  More was to be found at the Coconut Grove Playhouse in Miami, such as "Luv", "Stop the World", John Raitt in "Carousel", Ann Sothern in "Glass Menagerie", etc.  Other than that, my introduction to live theater in those years was the high school and community theater plays and musicals, and I eventually began playing piano in some of those.

FAVORITE EATERIES:  The soda fountain or lunch counter section in various drug and five-and-dime stores, the greatest being one downtown drugstore whose plate of onion rings I remember to this day and hold all others to.  Very few come close.

Royal Castle -- a mostly southern chain (at one point there was one in Cleveland), similar to but a little different from White Castle, and I would kill to have it back.

The cafeterias -- Many Sunday dinners and the occasional weekday meal.  They were everywhere in those days.

Pancake houses -- I think an early one was called Uncle John's, and there were a few others before International House of Pancakes came along (actually, I think my first one of those was in my college years in Cleveland).

Wolfie's -- one of the great South Florida deli/coffee shops.  Favorite location was in Miami Beach, and they had one in a shopping center in Fort Lauderdale.

Lum's -- which showed up here and there around the country, but I didn't know that then.  In high school a bunch of us loved to go there for a Lumburger with cheese and to hang out for a bit on the small front patio after a movie or Junior Theater rehearsal or whatever, enjoying our Cokes in a place that actually had a bar.

Department store "tea rooms" and such -- Wherever we lived, it was always a special treat to be taken to one of these.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:38:11 AM by ChasSmith »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: CATACHRESIS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  CIVILIZATION

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »

Addendum, with a tip o' the hat to DR John G.:

I so miss "real" Chinese restaurants -- and yes, usually with red interiors of one kind or another.

I was taken to my first Chinese meal by high school friends.  I loved it from the very first, and boy did I think I was sophisticated.  It would still be a few years before my parents even started trying Chinese.

Sweet and sour dishes, yes, absolutely.

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, thank you for the Cincinnati memories.  I never lived there but have gotten to know it pretty well from years of visits since my parents moved there some forty years ago. 

I did manage to see a few great motion pictures downtown before it all disappeared.  I loved Willis Music, for both music and records.  The department stores were wonderful.  I finally got into Ohio Bookstore a few years ago, and before that I was inside Acres of Books just once very briefly.  Living in L.A., I got down to the one in Long Beach a few times.  But back in those years my appreciation for books was fairly superficial in many ways and I just didn't appreciate what was around me.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 08:06:01 AM »

ChasSmith, while I envy you seeing Ethel in "Call Me Madam," I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Ann Southern in "Glass Menagerie." Of course, I paid to see a heavily wigged Howard Keel and Jane Powell in a bus-and-truck stage version of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." And who knows how many folks like Van Johnson and Imogene Coca on the dinner theater circuit in shows I can barely remember. "Twice Around the Garden"?
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »

Good Morning. Two dogs to the vet today for check ups and shots, etc etc.  Pork Roast in the crock pot with cream of celery soup.  That's all so far

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 09:08:13 AM »

DR Ben the photos are wonderful.  I saw monuments I didn't know existed. :)

Those escalator's at the metro really are something especially when they break down.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »

Tuesday morning afternoon greetings!  I've been up since a little before 8, but have had a full morning.  Just as I was finishing my breakfast, Rob came in for some mail that had been delivered here.  We visited for a bit, then I had to get ready for an appointment at the senior center to report on the grants research I've done for them.  Rob was still here when I got back and the 3 of us are going to have lunch together in about an hour.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »

TOD - Detroit, Michigan

Not a suburb - I grew up in the city and loved it.  We moved there from Portland, Oregon, when I was 2 and a half and my Dad was transferred by General Motors.  We lived on the northwest side and my sister and I graduated 9 years apart from Cody High School.  Downtown was fabulous with the now-imploded landmark J. L. Hudson department store.  Throughout high school, my friend Eleanor and I often spent our Saturdays downtown when she had medical appointments.  We'd go to Hudson's dining room for lunch and browse the beautiful displays.  Our second favorite place for lunch was Victor Lim's, a Chinese restaurant on Grand Circus Park, a beautiful traffic circle surrounded by office buildings.  My first eye doctor was in the David Whitney Building.

I loved the venerable institutions - Wayne State University (especially their Hilberry Classic Theater), Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Public Library, etc.  During my high school years, 1965-68, our drama club got tickets ($2.25) to the Fisher Theater for all the Broadway touring companies.  Also in The Golden Tower of the Fisher Building was WJR radio, which I still miss for voices like J. P. McCarthy, Ted Strasser, Mike Whorf, and Karl Haas.

Summer of 1967, between my junior and senior years of high school, Detroit erupted with racial violence and has never been the same.  My parents, along with a lot of others, moved to the 'burbs as soon as I graduated.  I've only been back to the old neighborhood a few times, the last in 1998 to drive Rob (then age 12) past Mom's childhood home and schools.  He was stunned, thinking his mother had grown up in the ghetto. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:27:49 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »

Wonderful D.C. pics, DR Ben. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »

DR Ginny, I was in Detroit for just a couple of days as a kid, and for one evening in 1968 when a few of us attending the Meadowbrook summer music festival near Rochester drove in to see "2001" in Cinerama at the Summit Theater.  Over the years, through various sources and references, I have come to believe that Detroit had, in every respect, one of the greatest downtowns EVER. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »

TOD:

I grew up in Camden, NJ.  My family lived on a side street off of a major shopping/business street, Mt Ephraim Avenue.  My favorite haunts were the 5 and 10 (with its terrific toy section), the two pharmacies (both with huge magazine and comic book racks), and the Variety store (which had candy, soda, ice cream along with a rack of old comics.)

My movie theatre of choice was the Crescent Theatre where we kids went for our Saturday or Sunday matinees.  For some reason, my parents would never step foot in the place, so when they took us out to the movies it was either to the Star-Lite Drive In or to one of the large movie houses in downtown Camden. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 10:05:17 AM »

DR Ginny, I was in Detroit for just a couple of days as a kid, and for one evening in 1968 when a few of us attending the Meadowbrook summer music festival near Rochester drove in to see "2001" in Cinerama at the Summit Theater.  Over the years, through various sources and references, I have come to believe that Detroit had, in every respect, one of the greatest downtowns EVER. 

Yes, it was amazing, DR ChasSmith, and I still miss it...

Ben

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »

I grew up in Coon Rapids, MN. Nothing more need be said.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »

In the notes, BK says, about Lotte Lenya:  "...one of the great Bond villains, Rosa Klebb and her scenes are electrifying and brilliant. It’s too bad she didn’t do a lot, film-wise."

As a kid seeing this, I didn't appreciate who she was.  Now I watch FROM RUSSIA and see as seasoned a pro as anyone, and have to wonder where that seasoning came from with so little film experience.  Electrifying is the word.  She always was, of course, on records, and I have to assume on stage.  I will have to find the other movies she's in (I have 3 PENNY).  I don't think I've seen THE APPOINTMENT, or either of the two Tennessee Williams ones.

Lenya is fantastic in THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS STONE!

I was about the write this as well!  And I love her as Pirate Jenny on the THREEPENNY OPERA recording.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »

Mooresville, Indiana

Yes, home of John DIllinger, and Paul Hadley - creator of the Indiana State Flag.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

When I saw the word "Autoharp" in the notes, I immediately remembered my young school days and the music teacher having an autoharp.  So, I went to Amazon and priced them, and even with the "prime" status, it's too expensive.  So I remembered that I have an autoharp app on my iPad.  $300 vs $1.99 - and it doesn't go out of tune or stuff like that.  So, there you go.

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) reminds me of another thing I'd intended to include:  the drive-ins.  I think as a family, we went to those more than anything.  The Lauderdale, The Federal, The Hi-Way, The Davie Blvd. Drive-In, and a few others more distant.  The memories of those are ALMOST as precious as those of the theaters.

And speaking of drive-ins, the eatery kind, usually with car-hop service -- A&W (site of one of my Proustian Madeleines), and others which were not chains, just wonderful places unique to the area.

John G.

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »

We had a drive-in near the house. I seem to recall vaguely images from a double feature of "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" with "The Ten Commandments." Go figure.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »

I just went to the mailbox, and I only wish every day could be like this one, with wonderful packages.

First, the Universal Monsters Blu-ray set from the UK finally arrived, so tonight is CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - in 3D.  At last!  I saw it once at the Lafayette and the 3D was fine, but the print was quite worn and in the traditionally wrong aspect ratio.  Tonight, baby.  Tonight.

Next up ... Kritzerland!  The Rat Race!  I know this is going to be some great listening.

Last and certainly not least, a surprise package from our own DR Elmore -- a new book called "Raising Hell:  Ken Russell and the Unmaking of THE DEVILS".  I don't think I'd even heard this was in the works!  What a treat.  Thank you, from one Devils-worshipper to another!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:54:38 AM by ChasSmith »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »

The town where I "grew up" was Greenville SC, where I lived with my parents from 1957 (I was age 9) until I entered the Navy in 1970.  My experience with downtown Greenville really started when I was in junior high school, because that school was on the north side of "downtown".  I'd ride to work with my mother (who worked in a bank) and walk to the school (about a 10-minute walk down, and then up, a street that must have been about 6-8 city blocks long).

My weekend forays into town alone began when I was in 9th grade when I was allowed to go into town to the movies.  There were several movie house on "Main Street" -- the Carolina Theater and the Fox Theater were first-run houses.  Carolina showed films from 20th-Fox, Columbia, Paramount and some Warner Brothers.  The Fox showed Disney, Universal and some Warner Brothers.  In a different section of town was "The Plaza" which showed MGM and Paramount (and some Warner Brothers).   Two second-run houses -- The Paris and The Center -- were both on Main Street a block down from the Fox (which was a block down from the Carolina, which was on the "upper end" of Main Street's business district) -- showed double features of films that had seen their initial runs and/or were reissued (not major reissues, though).

Between the Carolina and the Fox was a magazine shop where I discovered copies of Life Magazine all the way back to its inception...copies available for purchase.  Further downtown -- about 10-12 blocks from the Carolina was Mary's Record Shop, the most "expensive" shop in town, there mono recordings of LPs went for about $6.99 each.  I never bought anything from Mary's, but it was fun to go there because they let you take records into booths and play them.

There were various five-and-ten stores, such as Woolworth's and Kress ... each of them sold records, too (in addition to candy and tropical fish!!!).  Drugstores also had record bins with discounted (cut-out) records.  I found 45 rpm MGM soundtrack recordings in those bins.

Still occupying the same space in downtown Greenville, just off Main Street in the middle of town, was a steak house that was incredible.  My parents would take me there every now and again (the only "better" steaks in town were the ones my father grilled).  It was called Charlie's Steak House and Charlie had the most incredible steak sauce I ever tasted.

The Greenville Public Library during those years was also on Main Street ... on the upper end a couple of blocks past the Carolina Theater.   While this was not part of the business district, there was a National Guard Armory between the end of the business district and the library.  I spent many hours in that library scouring the stacks of magazines published from the 1930s through the 1950s.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »

I'm up and got the beauty sleep I really needed, albeit with some really peculiar dreams.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »

With all these beautiful memory posts we're still on page two?  Two pages?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up