Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A DIFFERENT MEAT  (Read 36692 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A DIFFERENT MEAT
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2005, 01:47:11 PM »

On the other hand, I also DVRed the new Ricky Gervais show EXTRAS on HBO. Again, he's playing an insensitive boob just like his character from the original British series THE OFFICE. He's not quite as clueless, of course, but he often says or does things that get him in embarrassing, humiliating situations.

The first episode, at least, dragged for me though there was one sequence with his idiot agent that did make me laugh.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »

Page 6 Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »

For the rest of the afternoon, I laughed and cried my way through FORREST GUMP. I hadn't seen it in years, and I enjoyed it all over again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2005, 01:53:51 PM »

Thanks for the Fred Dance, DRMATTH!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2005, 01:56:12 PM »

DRJASON - I think all of us who appear in public in some way or another, and ALL of us do in one way or another - have some issues about our appearance.

I lost 31 pounds this summer, but I still feel very heavy.  I want to weight 185 lbs NOT 199.  So we struggle on.

And I think you are correct in thinking that you think you are huskier than you really are.  If we are told certain things by certain people at certain times, we never forget it or get over it.  What we see in the mirror is not always reality.  Well....sometimes it is!  LOL.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:02:54 PM by JRand55 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2005, 01:57:15 PM »

DR Jason:  I totally understand.

:D

Still, it tickles me to visualize Jose, with folks in tow, on a walking tour of NYC's great places to eat this, that or the other.

He wholly embraces the joys of eating and seems to leave no stone unturned seeking out culinary delights.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2005, 01:58:51 PM »

I like Geena Davis a LOT - ever since DR CP's THE FLY!

And she looks great in the promos for her new show.

BUT I really don't want to watch another network show which is just an excuse for uber liberal writers and producers to present their political views in a one-sided way.  We get enough of that on the news channels.

Jason

« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2005, 02:00:05 PM »

Jrand: Amen! It's also very, VERY difficult to keep your chin up when you're in a business full of dancers and gym bunnies. I know that I will never live up to my ideal - Brad Pitt I shall never be - so I'm trying something different instead. Jackie Gleason. KIDDING!

And BTW - the unsuccessful actor is the actor who works at MTI. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2005, 02:01:03 PM »

My weight certainly seesaws all the time. But I notice I'm always in better shape when I'm doing shows. Being away from home a lot helps from being tempted to snack, and the idea that lots of folks are going to see you is also a strong incentive for me not to overeat.

Jason

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2005, 02:03:04 PM »

Ron: I think it's a funny idea, too. That's why I'm going. I don't plan to eat ALL day - just part of it. And I'll most likely make other DRs share something with me rather than eat it all by myself. I'm more interested in just meeting everyone and seeing more of my city.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2005, 02:03:56 PM »

Jrand: Amen! It's also very, VERY difficult to keep your chin up when you're in a business full of dancers and gym bunnies. I know that I will never live up to my ideal - Brad Pitt I shall never be - so I'm trying something different instead. Jackie Gleason. KIDDING!

And BTW - the unsuccessful actor is the actor who works at MTI. :)

LOL. Or directs and acts at Putnam County Playhouse in Indiana.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2005, 02:04:04 PM »

Well, DR JRand, I haven't seen COMMANDER IN CHIEF, but I'm not so sure I'd judge it before it airs. It's on ABC, the most conservative of the big three networks, so I don't think the show is going to be featuring the ideology that was featured on NBC's THE WEST WING, for example.

I'm just surmising here, but if you're a Geena Davis fan (I can take or leave her, so that's why I won't be watching), I'd watch or record at least the first episode.

Jason

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2005, 02:06:11 PM »

Geena Davis looks AMAZING in the promos for her new show and I can't wait to see it. I don't really remember her in THE FLY (it's been a while since I last saw it, and basically all I remember is Jeff Goldblum coming out of that pod stark naked), but I fell in love with Geena in "A League of Their Own." I'm very much looking forward to her new series.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2005, 02:08:48 PM »

I just read at Playbill.com that Bernadette Peters' husband was killed in  a helicopter crash yesterday! How horrible!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2005, 02:17:12 PM »

I just read at Playbill.com that Bernadette Peters' husband was killed in  a helicopter crash yesterday! How horrible!

Shocking and sad news!  :'(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »

Well, DR JRand, I haven't seen COMMANDER IN CHIEF, but I'm not so sure I'd judge it before it airs. It's on ABC, the most conservative of the big three networks, so I don't think the show is going to be featuring the ideology that was featured on NBC's THE WEST WING, for example.

I'm just surmising here, but if you're a Geena Davis fan (I can take or leave her, so that's why I won't be watching), I'd watch or record at least the first episode.

Mmmm...maybe.  ;D

DRJASON - I also starting liking Goldblum in THE FLY.  But Geena's character holds the thing together for me (like Patricia Owens did in the original).

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2005, 02:29:56 PM »

I thought Geena was just wonderful in THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, kooky and very original, but it was a cheat to have her entered in the Best Supporting Actress race. She was the female star of the picture and had second billing. Kathleen Turner was the real supporting actress in that movie, and as I understand it, was entered in the Best Actress race (and she didn't even get nominated).

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2005, 02:30:36 PM »

And I liked her in A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN as well. She was sensational in that.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2005, 02:33:46 PM »

As for me, I'll be watching SUPERNATURAL and recording HOUSE and MY NAME IS EARL/THE OFFICE at 9 p.m.

I think I read ABC is going to rerun COMMANDER IN CHIEF on Saturday evenings for a few weeks to get people hooked who might not have a chance to see it tonight. There ARE so many choices at 9 p.m.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:34:19 PM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »

DR MattH thanks for the explanation.  I still prefer knowing the actual numbers in millions though.

RE: Medium's ending being abrupt. I agree. I was waiting for another scene.  And here (it is played at 9pm also) they have been showing the previews for next week at 9:50pm. That is so weird since the show is never over.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2005, 02:38:28 PM »

BK, re:  Pastrami...LANGERS, best pastrami in the world.  I had some again last night.  Harlan Ellison turned me on to it.  Delicious!

elmore:  I've been a fan of Ed Marston's Nicholas Bracewell/ Elizabethan mysteries for several years now.  Have many of them, both in paper and hardback.

mattH:  I love EXTRAS and I love that the most outrageously funny things are put in the guest star's mouth.  I howled with laughter when Kate Winslet said:  "I think they've overdone the whole holocaust film thing.  I mean we get it...It was grim...Press on."  

Then she went on to say the only reason she was doing a holocaust movie was because it was a sure-fire Oscar winner.  Then added when she saw the woman with cebral palsy on the set that that was the other way to win an Oscar, play someone afflicted.  

I fell out of my chair with laughter because I have told people about my "holocaust/gimp" theory for years.  Surefire way to win an Oscar...be in a movie about the holocaust or play someone mentally or physcially afflicted.

I have many theatre programs I cherish, but most prominent among them:  I have a programme from the play version of Beau Geste which starred Olivier; the original programme from Barrymore's Hamlet in London at the Haymarket; an original programme of The National Theatre's premiere production of Hamlet that starred Peter O'Toole and was directed by Olivier.  A programme from a stage production of Rafael Sabatin's SCARAMOUCHE that British Matinee idol/Actor-Manager John Martin-Harvey toured in though out the twenties.

Movie programmes:  An original from the premiere of DON JUAN starring John Barrymore...a silent film that had a synchronized music soundtrack.   I also have a programme from the Australian premiere of the silent Beau Geste, starring Ronald Colman.

Jennifer

« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »

Oh my gosh that is so horrible about Bernadette Peter's husband.  

Me, I will be watching The Amazing Race. And recording Gilmore Girls and Boston Legal.  I"m gonna go check out the story on playbill now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2005, 02:42:55 PM »

COMMANDER IN CHIEF on Saturday night might work for me. Thanks, DRMATTH.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »

I was just reading Playbill.com and when I refreshed my browser, there was the article.  That is very sad. :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2005, 02:49:43 PM »

Went to lunch with Miss Tammy Minoff and by the time we finished, filming had wrapped.

Well, ONE of my test books arrived, the softcover version - it looks swell, but since I'm  not ordering the softcover version it seems rather inane that the hardcover did not arrive with it.  It's supposedly coming in the next day or two.  I now have to make the decision whether to order the books today without having seen it (the softcover has no errors) or wait until it arrives.  Sickening.  If I order today, I'll have books by next Wednesday probably - if I wait, probably not until next Friday or the following Monday, but still well before the 15th which is when I was hoping to begin shipping.  I'll keep you posted.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2005, 03:06:46 PM »

About EXTRAS:

Well, the theories Kate Winslet espoused about winning an Oscar have been around for ages. I didn't find them especially unique, have been hearing and reading critics saying this for decades. Maybe they landed with authority because she has lost 4 Oscars and is young enough to more than likely win and/or lose many more. What made her sex talk dryly amusing was the fact that she was wearing a nun's habit while delivering it. But I didn't think that sex talk plot had much humor at all.

I just read that the premiere episode of EXTRAS is actually the third one they shot, and that the first two give some foundation to the show missing from that episode. The Ben Stiller episode next week is the second one done while the third episode to air is actually the pilot and according to the VARIETY critic the least funny of the three sent to critics to view.

One other thing I didn't realize is that the agent whom  I found very amusing is Ricky Gervais' producing/writing partner on this venture, Stephen Merchant. I had no idea.

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »

Well, DR Jennfier, since you were talking about MEDIUM, here's the face-off between CBS and NBC in number of viewers during that 10 p.m. hour as taken from VARIETY:

And at 10, "CSI: Miami" may have been the night's top-rated program (5.5/13 in 18-49, 16.7 million viewers overall), but this was one of its lowest firstrun scores to date. NBC's "Medium" (5.0/12 in 18-49, 12.9 million viewers overall) closed the gap between the crime skeins, rising week-to-week.

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2005, 03:15:50 PM »

So, I'm off now for awhile as I go do today's cleaning chore and then have a full night of TV watching.

I'll be back later tonight with some opinions.

Michael

« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2005, 03:33:03 PM »

Does anyone remeber Peter Kasner's tv series, The Ugliest Girl In Town?
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2005, 03:37:37 PM »

Ron: I think it's a funny idea, too. That's why I'm going. I don't plan to eat ALL day - just part of it. And I'll most likely make other DRs share something with me rather than eat it all by myself. I'm more interested in just meeting everyone and seeing more of my city.

Just follow my example of simply sampling.  

As to weight, rarely in my life have I felt thin-comes from being told I was too fat most of my childhood and early adult years.  Bruce will likely say I have never been fat making me a perfect example of how others can damage your self image.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 03:42:51 PM by Jane »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up