Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY  (Read 27089 times)

Ginny

Re: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIZ9PYs-lsg

YIKES, DR Laura  :o !!!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »

Hey, Ron Pulliam! Welcome back.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

Hello, everyone. I've been very busy preparing for the next leg of my relocation. And did I ever mention that I HATE packing??

Ginny

« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:17 PM »

Well, my aunt now has distance glasses, reading glasses, and sunglasses - it only took 7 trips to the optometrist's office.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »

Re today's Notes: I was VERY surprised to see Bruce write about this. I knew part of the story already; Bruce called me when his dad left and told me. He sounded VERY unBK-like. I don't think I'll ever forget that call.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »

First musical on TV I remember - CINDERELLA with Lesley Ann Warren.

Not the Julie Andrews version?

Not "Peter Pan" w/Mary Martin?

I probably saw it, but I don't remember the Julie version until I saw it at the Museum of TV and Radio years later.

Can't remember the chronology of the color Martin PETER PAN. I know it was made and broadcast in 1960 (with the previous two versions being live performances), but I don't have a memory of them, and I remember seeing the Martin version on our color TV after I saw the Warren CINDERELLA.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »

I must start writing up THE WAGES OF FEAR.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »

Trivia question for the various and sundried:

What play was being performed at the original Globe Theatre when it burned to the ground from an errant cannon shot effect?

Our American Cousin?

Rats!  You beat me to it!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2009, 02:36:42 PM »

I would love to see THE FLIP SIDE.

His right profile, or his left??

..and full face.
So pin it up with tacks,
And fill it out with wax.
Oh, what an actor!
Long live Max Factor!
And this face!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:41:13 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Michael

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »

My question for Ask BK Day:

Dear BK,
When duets are recorded in the studio, do the people appear in the studio and sing together? Or do they do them one at a time? If so, does the second singer hear the first singer through the headphones?

And when there are backup singers, do they record first or last?

Most of the duets I've recorded have been with both people in the room - it's a much better vibe to do it that way.  The only real time I haven't done it that way are for a couple of the Guy Haines duets, which Guy recorded here in LA at his leisure.

Backup singers are always done after.

I remember that I've Written A Letter to Daddy & Whatever Happened To Baby Jane was also bicostal. Remy Zeken (?) was in NYC and Katherine Helmond was in LA.
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »

Hello, everyone. I've been very busy preparing for the next leg of my relocation. And did I ever mention that I HATE packing??

I moved to where I plan to stay for the rest of my life...unless I win the lottery...but of course, I don't buy lottery tickets. ;)  I have no intentions of ever moving or packing AGAIN. :D

~~~Vibes for a Quick and EASY Rest of Your Relocation!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2009, 02:51:03 PM »

Here is my review of Sunsrise, Sunset: The Songs of Sheldon Harnick.

I really wanted to like this. (I'm friendly with the producer), but it needs work.

ACT ONE

Last night I went to see "Sunrise Sunset: The songs of Sheldon Harnick.

DR Arnold Brockman saw this same show on Monday. I think I am agreement with him. The show wasn't very good.

All I could think during the show was how would Bruce Kimmel directed this show.

The direction was basically walking back and forth and choreography was a lot of arms in the year and set kick, kick step and falling down on the floor. The falling down on the floor is okay once but they did it three or four times!

The show is sadly without any kind of narration and at times, I didn't even know what the songs were or what the show were. What they should have instead of the two easels with signs made at Kinko's that told us the era and the shows was projections. The projections could have the original show poster, brief information about the show, the name of the song that they were singing and the name of the composer.

The show begins with In My Own Lifetime from The Rothschilds and many of the lyrics were spoken rather sung.

It then went into the nightclub years supposedly all at the Upstairs at The Downstairs. This is incorrect. He also worked with Ben Bagley in The Shoestring Revues, The Littlest Revue and he wrote the music to several of his early songs. Other shows were New Faces of 1952, and Two’s Company. The songs were not identified

The section was Broadway with Jerry Bock. The show omitted their first show, The Body Beautiful and started with Fiorello!  Next, they did Tenderloin, She Loves Me, and The Apple Tree. They also ignored their contributions to Baker Street, Man In the Moon, and Never Too Late.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »

SUNRISE SUNSET: THE SONGS OF SHELDON HARNICK

ACT TWO (REVIEW CONTINUED)

Act two started with Fiddler on the Roof. The first song was spoken instead of singing and the rest of the segment seemed rushed. Perhaps they could have started the segment with pop version of the Fiddler’s Theme called Fiddler On the Roof. Perhaps they could have sung one of the cut songs from the song like “When Messiah Comes” or “Dear Sweet Sewing Machine” or “We Haven’t Missed A Sabbath Yet”.

Moreover, most surprisingly they omitted The Rothschilds, which was Bock and Harnick’s last show. They are other worthy songs other than “In My Own Lifetime” including the cut song “Just a Map”

From Fiddler on the Roof they went into Rex. This section was called the 70’s and beyond. I knew that Richard Rodgers was the composer, but there was no mention of it. They sang one song, which was duet instead of the best song from the show “Away From You”,

They then went into It’s A Wonderful Life (Joe Raposo. No mention of him) and sang one song. Then a show called Dragons, which I never heard of, and two songs from that show were sung. They were sandwiched in-between a movie theme song medley and once again- - -Which movie? What are the names of the songs? They omitted several other shows during this period: Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines, A Christmas Carol, Cyrano: The Musical, Coyote Tales, and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

The two performers were Maureen Brennan who came to some prominence in the early 70’s with Harold Prince’s first production of Candide. Her performance was more of a “Hey Look At Me I Am On Stage Performing” than something more subtle was needed for many of the songs. She was joined by Edward Juvier a pleasant singer and showed a lot of stage presence by infusing many of his songs with characterizations. A note about his appearance; He needed a shave and the clothes that he was wearing did not compliment his physique. (Also, his headshot in the program was at least 10 years out of date. He no longer looks like his photo)

They were joined by Timothy Evans at the piano and an unnamed person on the drums. Mr. Evans also contributed singing to several songs. He has a nice voice and it complimented the other singers, but I think it would have been better if there was a third singer and Mr. Evans just played the piano.

The show was rather short. Act 1 was 45 minutes and Act 2 was slightly shorter. In addition, for cabaret there was no encore. They sang their final song bowed and left the stage. People were waiting for them to come back, but they didn’t.

The show needs to be rethought, restaged and perhaps Michael Alloso, who was the director and choreographer, and Maureen Brennan should leave the writing to someone else. In order for this show to succeed, it needs a major overhaul.

I enjoy hearing the songs of Sheldon Harnick, but the performances were nothing special and I left the show less than satisfied.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »

Well, here's a Scientology Horror Show: Travolta and Cruise are remaking "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Another Must-Miss Movie!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »

Why don't they title it "When Aging Queens Collide"?

Redford was 33 when the original was made and Newman was 44; the Scientology boys are  both at least 10 years older than either Newman or Redford.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:07:38 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »

I just returned from Conn's in Austin, where I purchased a 52" LCD Samsung TV, Blu-Ray Player Surround System for my new media room.

Great price.

Those Samsung LCDs have gotten very good reviews.

That's why I bought it.

;)
You can dream…or you can do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »

Well, here's a Scientology Horror Show: Travolta and Cruise are remaking "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Another Must-Miss Movie!

Why do people do this??  Why remake classics??  Why not remake a movie that originally bombed and make it better??

Ugh. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »

DR LAURA - wow!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »

Thanks to DRJMK and DR DtM - either one of those could be right.....I don't know....but at least I can sing something when I sing along instead of "wheelbarrow."

And yes DR JMK - I typed trace but meant seek.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

So nobody else is bothered by the squealing screaming woo-hooing audience during American Idol?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »

Why do people do this??  Why remake classics??  Why not remake a movie that originally bombed and make it better??

Ugh. :P

That's what I always tell our program committee....let's do a show that didn't turn out quite right....not a show we sold out seven nights in a row!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

Here's a question - do you support the man-to-man or the zone defense?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »

DR MATTH thanks for the information about KINGS being moved to Saturday night.  Now I can see it and not miss any of the sports delayed AMAZING RACE or ANY DREAM WILL DO on BBC!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »

Oh never mind it's on at 8 pm on Saturdays.....and that's COPS time!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »

PETER PAN with Mary Martin.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »

Dear Esteemed BK, your notes today brought tears to my eyes.
(Not that there's anything wrong with that).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »

So nobody else is bothered by the squealing screaming woo-hooing audience during American Idol?

Not at all, but then I don't watch the show  :D

Laura

« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »

DR LAURA - wow!!!

Yes. I'm glad my DH was in front.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »

Here's a question - do you support the man-to-man or the zone defense?

I have no idea which sport you are refering to.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »

Here is my review of Sunsrise, Sunset: The Songs of Sheldon Harnick.

No Medea in Disneyland?
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up