Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE  (Read 38084 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2005, 12:58:01 PM »

This statement in the article caught my attention:

<<BOTH JAMIESON AND ROACH (and a very mild Post Intelligencer editorial supporting Roach) miss the true nub of what makes this repugnant issue so important. Bestiality is so very wrong not only because using animals sexually is abusive, but because such behavior is profoundly degrading and utterly subversive to the crucial understanding that human beings are unique, special, and of the highest moral worth in the known universe--a concept known as "human exceptionalism.">>

Not to be too oafish about the seriousness of what is being discussed in the article, but this last statement makes it very clear that the writer has never seen an episode of "Jerry Springer" or watched "Big Brother 6."

And I've known animals of intrinsically higher moral worth than "some" humans I've either known or seen in action.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2005, 01:12:55 PM »

Does that mean TPunk could get a job in the zoo or circus?

Yes  ;D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2005, 01:18:14 PM »

DR DER BRUCER - Thank you for the Repent America article.  I think.  Truly made me sick to my stomach.

:-\

Reading stuff like that always makes me consider the option of building a bunker and living below ground to avoid such individuals and their harmful opinions.  :-[

But then how would Rodzinski get his KFC?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2005, 01:21:43 PM »

Reading stuff like that always makes me consider the option of building a bunker and living below ground to avoid such individuals and their harmful opinions.  :-[

But then how would Rodzinski get his KFC?

He'd have to plan and execute K(FC)amikaze missions!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »

For DRs Jane, TomovOz and anyone else with pets:

When Miss Vickie passed, I opted for cremation and return to me of her ashes.  I got the ashes on Friday.  They were in a small cedar box with a lock and keys.

I cannot begin to tell you how comforting it was to put that box on the table by my favorite chair.  It is maudlin and sappy and I don't care.  It helps a great deal.  

I still plan, at Christmas, to take her ashes to SC and mix them into the soil above the grave of another beloved cat.

It is a great comfort.  Echo is the first pet whose ashes we have scattered.  I wish we had done so all along.  Bogie joined his sister in a rose garden.  We took Echo up to Mt. Ashland and left her in one of her favorite little streams of water.  There is a rock there I can sit on and think of her while I enjoy the view.

Jane

« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2005, 01:26:56 PM »

Oh!  My dear "derBrucer"!  My avatar is 28 years old.

Splurge if you want!!!

Mine is 39 years old.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2005, 01:28:08 PM »

SWISHY SARA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ginny I will try and say hello from Bucharest from Craig’s computer.  His service isn’t overly dependable.  

Elmore, happy vibes!

Ben I have been told Plantar Facitis is very painful.  Good healing vibes to Anthony.

DerBrucer, nice photo.   Our trip also includes a boat ride.   We have another all day trip planned from Munich to the Royal Castles Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.  Did you go there?  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »

I made a tape of the 1962 STATE FAIR off the FMC when it played about a year ago. But a commercial DVD release would suit my needs a lot better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »

Yes, a Mickey-Judy boxed set is sadly lacking. Are those minstrel shows in the two BABES movies the reason they aren't being released?

I remember seeing a Mickey and Judy movie with a minstrel number on TV (regular cable, even!), just within the last year or so.  If they can show it on regular (non-digital) cable, then why not release it (them) on DVD?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »

When I got in from lunch, I finished THE MUSIC MAN. COntinued to look very lovely and such a clean transfer. I still think GYPSY is the more astonishing DVD of the two in terms of transfer quality, sharpness, depth of color, etc.

When "Lida Rose" and "Did I Ever Tell You?" are being sung simultaneously, the sound guys shift Shirley's voice to the right speaker and the Buffalo Bills to the left speaker with the orchestra in the surround speakers. Nice effect.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2005, 01:33:28 PM »

we are going tto have to a;; wear red carnations and carry umbrellas to find each other in October... none of us seem to look like us  ;D

eexcept for Danise and Jose, we'll look for them!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2005, 01:35:09 PM »

I remember seeing a Mickey and Judy movie with a minstrel number on TV (regular cable, even!), just within the last year or so.  If they can show it on regular (non-digital) cable, then why not release it (them) on DVD?

Oh, sure. I have both on commercially released videotape myself. I was just trying to decipher reasons why they would have delayed their release in these PC times.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2005, 01:37:58 PM »

After THE MUSIC MAN finished, I put in DARLING.

In their infinite "wisdom" (read stupidity), MGM released the film letterboxed but not enhanced for widescreen TVs. Still, it's a very sharp transfer and looks really wonderful. The mono sound is quite tinny, of course, but it's still an entertaining film. The camera really loved Julie Christie.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2005, 01:39:18 PM »

Um, I didn't mean that to sound like she's dead or no longer working. I'm sure she'll be prominent in the next HARRY POTTER film, but when she was a fresh face in those mid-60s films she made, she was dazzling to look at. I can see why John Schlesinger used her so often then.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2005, 01:40:26 PM »

And speaking of Julie Christie, does DR Ron want to see FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD on DVD?

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2005, 01:41:35 PM »

DR George, I haven't gotten to RENO 911! yet either, but I'm assuming the DVR got it last night. I was watching RESCUE ME while the DVR was picking up RENO 911!

Ginny

« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2005, 01:55:26 PM »

we are going tto have to a;; wear red carnations and carry umbrellas to find each other in October... none of us seem to look like us  ;D

eexcept for Danise and Jose, we'll look for them!!

If we're relying on avatars, I guess I'll have to wear pink!  Or bleach my hair.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2005, 01:57:45 PM »

Or carry a gigantic book.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2005, 02:04:25 PM »

Back from many errands - and am now waiting to hear from Grant about recording the little demo.

vixmom

« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2005, 02:04:52 PM »

Or carry a gigantic book.

That's gonna be a b***h to carry on the food tour! ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2005, 02:08:41 PM »

And speaking of Julie Christie, does DR Ron want to see FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD on DVD?

Ron DOES!

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2005, 02:15:28 PM »

Ken Mandelbaum reviews the new CD release of NEW FACES OF '68 today in his column. That is the other item that came in my package today along with the Shirley Temple DVDs.

I know the score doesn't measure up to either the 1952 or 1956 NEW FACES albums, but I used to play the LP of '68 all the time, and I'm looking forward to listening to this at some point this week.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »

Speaking of Julie Christie, one of her films that I have as yet not bought on DVD is DOCTOR ZHIVAGO. I have it on laserdisc, and since I only played it once or twice during all the yers I owned it, I figured I wouldn't bother to shell out the $$$ for the DVD.

I'll bet the ZHIVAGO DVD looks splendid, however. I always thought the laserdisc was very beautifuly mastered.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »

SWISHY SARA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Our trip also includes a boat ride.   We have another all day trip planned from Munich to the Royal Castles Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.  Did you go there?  

Indeed we did  - Neuschwanstein (Cinderella's Castle) is beguiling and the Linderhof quite interesting.

There is another day trip that takes one on a quaint ride thru German countryside to a beautiful (but a tad commercial villiage) at the foot of a very large ALP. A Tram ride gets you to a lookout station near the top, and leaving all judgement behind, you can scamper up the rest of the mountain to the top.

Woody took this shot on my journey upward:

der Brucer
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 02:20:02 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »

Re people with old pictures as their avatars:  When I finally get around to getting a scanner, I'm going to use the ID that fueled this story at unemployment.  (Have I told this story before?  And has this ever happened to anyone else here?)

We'd just been shown a video on self-esteem when we go looking for another job.  I handed the clerk my ID (a few years younger and - ahem - several pounds lighter).  She looked at the photo, looked at me, looked at the photo again, looked at me, and said loudly enough for the whole room to hear  "Boy, this is a REALLY good picture of you!"  This after we'd just been shown that video on self-esteem.  The clerk's compatriot, realizing her co-worker had just unwittingly insulted me, followed up with, "Oh, oh, oh, you look fine now, too.  I love yer hair!"  

Happily, unenployment doesn't require personal appearnces any more.

Anyway, I now feel no guilt about planning to use that picture as my avatar when I get around to learning to scan.  :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »

OK, Gang, all together now:

I DON"T BELIEVE IT! :o
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »

That's gonna be a b***h to carry on the food tour! ;D

...busch?

...bosch?

...beach?

...batch?

...butch?

...brach?

...bloch?

...bunch?

...birch?

...bench?

...broth?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2005, 02:32:15 PM »

I just got Richard Valley's complete Rewind review for Scarlet Street.  Here's my two favorite paragraphs:

Like ALL ABOUT EVE (1950), Rewind’s story is told from the unique viewpoints of several characters. Unlike ALL ABOUT EVE, several of the characters are, by the time they reach the conclusion of their individual reminiscences, no longer among the living. (Paging Joe Gillis from that other 1950 showbiz saga, SUNSET BLVD.)

and

Who lives? Who dies? And when, where, and why? That’s only half the fun, the other half being a real insider’s look at the flip side of the record business. Not since Betty Hutton belted out “Murder, He Said” has a musical body count been as irresistible as Rewind.

vixmom

« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »

...busch?

...bosch?

...beach?

...batch?

...butch?

...brach?

...bloch?

...bunch?

...birch?

...bench?

...broth?

Ron... I want your sinus medicine!!! ;D

vixmom

« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2005, 02:33:43 PM »

Indeed we did  - Neuschwanstein (Cinderella's Castle) is beguiling and the Linderhof quite interesting.

There is another day trip that takes one on a quaint ride thru German countryside to a beautiful (but a tad commercial villiage) at the foot of a very large ALP. A Tram ride gets you to a lookout station near the top, and leaving all judgement behind, you can scamper up the rest of the mountain to the top.

Woody took this shot on my journey upward:

der Brucer

Have you any pictures of Woody on this trip?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up