Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PITH HELMET  (Read 19717 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE PITH HELMET
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2006, 11:41:21 AM »

But one of my favorite Japanese movies is the original Shall We Dance?.  I haven't seen the Richard Gere remake but I'm pretty sure that I won't.  And on that note (B-flat), here's a Page Six Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 11:41:41 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2006, 12:15:13 PM »

Back from our reading of act one, and I must say it read even better than I'd hoped it would.  And that's with some pretty bad acting going on and a LOT of stage direction being read.   The first act ran exactly one hour, which seems just right to me.  There were some things I heard that probably need a bit of tightening, but I won't know that until I hear the second act, and also when the actors are a bit more comfortable with their roles.  I'm sure there's a few lines that can go, however, and I also thought that one character (well, not really a "live" character) could use some punching up on a few lines of dialogue.  The songs all seemed to work - there's one longish stretch without music (it used to be even longer, but I put in a reprise of a song) that I have to look at, to see if I want to shorten that sequence or maybe add a short song in there.  We shall see.  Next week is Spring Break, so we don't get back to act two until a week from Tuesday.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2006, 12:16:13 PM »

Well, apparently two performances, yesterday, were not enough!

Only two?  Our Dear Tramp Jose is slowing down!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:31:14 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2006, 12:17:38 PM »

As some know I love all things Japanese, and have since I was a tike!!

Is this because you're a lesbian?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »

I apologize.  I am on heavy-duty Vicodin today, so I am probably not making a lot of sense.  I should probably just go back to bed.

DR TCB, Vicodin?  You need vibes, dear friend![move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~vibes for DR TCB!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2006, 12:32:43 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I had hoped to start getting things in order for my friend, Andy, who's coming up to visit this weekend, but I guess tomorrow shall be my big cleaning day.  Instead, I've been spending time with my roomies, and one of my roomie's aunts who's in town for her 50th Birthday Weekend(!!).  What a hoot!  We've all been enjoying bowls of chili - which was made last night, some mimosas (I'm abstaining since I have a show tonight - and I'm just not in the mood for any bubbly right now), as well as some very lively(!) conversation.  Ah, good people!

And now I do have to get some paperwork done before heading into the theatre for a continuity rehearsal at 6:30.  -And since that's already three hours away...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »

OH!

DR PennyO - Love the new do.  Love the new avatar.  Love the new you!  -But it's also nice to know that the "old" you - and you know what I mean - is still there too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »

As you can see from the previous posts, the bitch is back from the trip to Toyland.  I had a neat surprise when I got to the office:  my colleague Tom Murray is back in town for a couple of months and I look forward to our work on Victor Herbert.  We book a trip to Washington and the Library of Congress for April 18 to check the Herbert Collection again.  I'm only sorry that the wonderful Jose Simbulan has forsaken our sparkling company for the bright lights of Broadway and will not be with us.

Thank you all for the vibes.  I'm sure my Father will be fine, but I do worry about how much cancer they will find.  

DR PennyO, you will never be a cute little old lady to me, just one of the most beautiful and wonderful little old ladies.

There's a letter in the new FANGORIA, which I was looking at yesterday, about the homophobia in the horror film HOSTEL.  The writer was complaining about the fact that the sleazy gay man turns out to be one of the killers and about all the epithets of "fairy" and "fag" in the piece.  In the response, the director Eli Roth, who's clearly a boob, says that's how young men talk.  He never addresses the issue of the psycho killer, and I'm sure he's too obtuse to  ever think of a turn like that in Jane Yolen's wonderful holocaust novel BRIAR ROSE in which the gay man turns out to be the hero.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:47:46 PM by elmore3003 »

Jennifer

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »

Discussion about last night's LOST.

Plus...there was that scene earlier on the cliff when Hurley reminded Libby of his comment to her about having known her somewhere before...but at that time, he wasn't connecting her with the mental institution...he was assuming he felt familiar with her because he made her up, too.

It's very unsettling...and, for me, casts a pall on how I feel about the show now.

I sort of know what you mean.  Because as I was watching it it almost felt like that could be the cop out for everything (Hurley making everything up in his mind).

It was certainly interesting to know Hurley's past.  But geez he and libby are the two most normal mental patients ever!

I wonder why Libby didn't remind Hurley how he knew her. Very weird!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »

Discussion about last night's LOST.

I wonder why Libby didn't remind Hurley how he knew her. Very weird!

Maybe it's because "he" hasn't remembered where he knows her from yet...and until "he" remembers, she's not going to know.

For all we know, he's hallucinating everything and they're both still sitting in that rec room.

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2006, 01:10:15 PM »

QUEEN!

(Sorry, anyone, who got nervous when they read that!   ;D)

The music of Queen is the theme for next week's "American Idol" competition.

Oh...joy.

I'm predicting another disaster of the proportions of the Stevie Wonder week. I'm not sure Queen songs are going to be an easy fit for most of these vocalists. I rather dread it frankly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2006, 01:11:58 PM »

Well, the Vicodin certainly helps the pain; but unfortunately, it makes it difficult to function as a real human being.

I'm sorry you're in pain, Tom.

Too bad this isn't a "Field of Dreams" moment in which someone says, "Ease his pain"...and then it's just a matter of having a game of catch with you.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »

I'm predicting another disaster of the proportions of the Stevie Wonder week. I'm not sure Queen songs are going to be an easy fit for most of these vocalists. I rather dread it frankly.

Chris will revert to his usual form, I'm sure...and it's just painful to think of others among them trying to do the same thing.

What fit, if any, do you think Taylor will find with the collected works of Queen?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2006, 01:14:03 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if they'd have a Frank Loesser week?

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »

Another long lunch which was very enjoyable but took up some of my afternoon viewing time. So, I only got two shows and 20 minutes of a movie watched.

The first show was VERONICA MARS which had an involving episode but no mini-mystery this week. Shocking conclusion, however. Won't say any more since DR Jennifer hasn't gotten a chance to see it yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »

Chris will revert to his usual form, I'm sure...and it's just painful to think of others among them trying to do the same thing.

What fit, if any, do you think Taylor will find with the collected works of Queen?

Or Kellie, for that matter! I think broader categories like 50s music or movie music or even a bit narrower like R&B work much better.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »

LAW & ORDER had a fascinating case which, in its usual fashion, seemed like a shooting in a diner and ended up being about something totally different. A very sad and sobering episode about pediatric AIDS.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2006, 01:20:25 PM »

Then watched the first 20 minutes of THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM. More plot than usual for a Grable musical which might be why it didn't go over so well in 1947 when it premiered.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »

I am with you MattH. I love Queen but I fear how butchered some of the pieces may end up.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »

Just dropping by to say hello. Haven't read all the posts, so if I'm ignoring something important - Sorry! General Vibes (and Captain Vibes) to all who need them. Congratulation to all who deserve them (And even those who don't.) I'm in a writing frenzy trying to finish up something before my weekend trip to NY.
Looking forward to Sunday breakfast with DR Elmore and anyone else who is present. (Unless that's been cancelled...) Send me an email please, DR Elmore.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »

Or Kellie, for that matter! I think broader categories like 50s music or movie music or even a bit narrower like R&B work much better.

I prefer different genres for each person has a style and it will test the true talent. Well some of them...

I will say that I am not a fan of Bucky or Ace.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 01:43:45 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »

My professor today in class changed the due dates of our papers from April 27 to April 20... YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2006, 01:51:11 PM »

Another long lunch which was very enjoyable but took up some of my afternoon viewing time. So, I only got two shows and 20 minutes of a movie watched.

The first show was VERONICA MARS which had an involving episode but no mini-mystery this week. Shocking conclusion, however. Won't say any more since DR Jennifer hasn't gotten a chance to see it yet.

Yep i won't get to watch it till friday night or saturday.  I am happy it is moving to tuesdays since it will be easier for my sister to record.

DR MattH have you heard anything about whether the new WB/UPN station will be picking it up. Or what shows they will pick up at all? My sister said she doesn't think it will be that many (probably only gilmore girls and smallville for sure from the WB).  I think it's sad that a bunch of shows will get dropped. What are they gonna have totally new programming?

Oh and speaking of the WB, did anybody else see the premiere of Pepper Dennis (right after Gilmore Girls). I really loved it (and i don't usually warm up to shows that quickly).  But I suspect it's more of a girly type show.

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2006, 01:53:33 PM »

Re: american idol.

While i think general categories work better, I'm actually looking forward to hearing this week's show (btw, i believe the results show will be moved to 8:30pm according to americanidol.com).  

But i'll bet most people will try to pick songs that aren't as rock.  But personally when you have a certain style week, i'd like to see what each contestant can do in that style!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »

Too bad this isn't a "Field of Dreams" moment in which someone says, "Ease his pain"...and then it's just a matter of having a game of catch with you.

Would I be playing catch with Ray Liotta?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2006, 02:02:34 PM »

Sigh....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »

...Sigh.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »

....SIGH!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »

Seriously, thank you, Ron, and everyone else for their good vibes.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »

Would I be playing catch with Ray Liotta?

Probly not...but maybe Dwier Brown or Kevin Costner...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up