Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW DICTUM  (Read 15610 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:THE NEW DICTUM
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2005, 11:20:52 AM »

Hi folks....Sorry to have been E&T the last couple of days, but trying to tie up some loose ends before people disappear at the end of the semester.

Have not yet read posts, so some of this might seem a bit redundant:
I was thrilled (as I am sure many of our Dear Readers can imagine) that Uchenna and Joyce won TAR.  (I was even happier, if possible, that Romber lost.  Schaudenfreude, I suppose.)

I was sad to see Anthony go home last night.  I expected it, but was still sad.

Add another to the list of people who would endorse THE ALIENIST as a favorite historical novel.  (I was less satisfied with the follow-up.)

I also suppose there is a Mary Renault book in there, but for the life of me, I can't recall what it was.  Perhaps THE CHARIOTEER.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2005, 11:23:20 AM »

As for more bunnies.....

NO-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

perhaps THIS will make you feel better

http://happytreefriends.atomfilms.com/watch_episodes/index.html

I was going to post an image but its all too horrible
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2005, 11:26:36 AM »

Before I get back to catching up with posts past...

We had quite a scare a couple of nights ago.  We had been grandlad-sitting, which led to our following along for William's T-ball game and Alex's one-step-above-T-ball game.  The whole thing was a) fun; b) allergy-reactive; and c) long.

The good news was that we got to introduce William to some of the score for A Year With Frog and Toad, which after claiming it "sucked" after the first four seconds he then found quite funny.  But that's another story.

We got home quite late, der B unhappy because House had already started without him.  I've got the kitchen door open, so that I can keep an eye on the dogs while they're outside and cook at the same time.  It wasn't good enough.  Peggy realized I wasn't watching as closely as I should be, and climbed over the fence again.

I shut everything off in the kitchen, grabbed a leash, and went out to hunt for her.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a sign, and it was extremely dark that night.  Der B got in the car, and took a turn himself.  When he got back, he told me that he'd spotted her, but that she'd run away from him...and that's when she showed up at the top of the driveway, watching us.  I called to her, but she wasn't finished having fun yet, so she set off up the road again, with me trying to follow.  Again, it was too dark to see.  I was about ready to give up again when she suddenly ran across the road, heading in my direction...and came up to me, wagging her tail and waiting for me to put the leash on her.

I guess that's a happy ending, but the simple fact is we can not keep Peggy much longer.  Because she love to bolt we have to keep the doggy door closed, which isn't fair to the other dogs, and she's putting herself in danger every time she runs.

We don't know exactly how this is going to end, but it has to end soon.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2005, 11:26:56 AM »

It's Page Four!  We Dance!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2005, 11:30:08 AM »

DR GEORGE...if you do a search for David Amram you will discover that he composed the musical score for a film featuring MR BK's favorite actress.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2005, 11:31:11 AM »

Lol, vixmom, I love Happy Tree Friends. Sick, sick humor.
I find them disgustingly hilarious.

Jose, are you planning to see Pacific Overtures at the Signature? Have you heard anything about the cast or the production? I just received an e-mail from them this morning with a ticket offer.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2005, 11:33:35 AM »

I have to run to a closing.  laters
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »

I will try using Safari, but through AOL it is being a bit sluggish, but nothing major.

David Amram was one of my favorite film composers, and it's just sad he didn't do more than he did.  I got to know him a bit when we did his score to the Broadway version of On the Waterfront - he's a real character, but he was very touched that I knew who he was and that I'd always loved his work.  I included his brilliant theme from Splendor in the Grass on one of the Fred Karlin jazz at the movies albums I did.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2005, 12:08:03 PM »

Site has been very sluggish for me when I first get on it from somewhere the last few days.  It will say it's done loading but there'll be nothing on the screen....occasionally for over a minute.  This is just when I go to the posts section, everything else comes up promptly.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2005, 12:09:15 PM »

Just posting the above message took three-four times longer than usual...about 30-40 thirty seconds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2005, 12:40:27 PM »

Because Jennifer Garner directed the show last night, Jennifer, I wasn't at all surprised that she lessened her workload on-camera so she could better handle things behind the camera.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2005, 12:46:04 PM »

In addition to the other DREAMGIRLS cast mentioned in the VARIETY article, Eddie Murphy will be Jimmy Early.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2005, 12:49:46 PM »

Watched a wide range of films/TV on the new DVD player today, just for testing purposes: WILL & GRACE, season 3; GOLDFINGER, BRIGADOON, and one complete episode of ANGEL which I thought looked astonishingly sharp and crisp.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2005, 12:56:09 PM »

BK-

Received the Original Broadway Cast recording of DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS today and I wonder if this issue bothers a Producer like you as much as it bothers me.

Who makes the decision on what the spine on the Cd looks like?
 You would have to have 20/20 vision to try to make out what the content of the Jewel Case contains. The writing is so dark. Does any one think about what these things look like on a shelf?

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2005, 01:02:04 PM »

DR SWW, I don't have any dogs, but would it be possible to keep Peggy in the yard with a very long leash.  That way she wouldn't be able to jump the fence?  I'm sure it wouldn't be ideal, but at least she would be safe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2005, 01:09:56 PM »

I shouldn't believe anything in that Variety article re Dreamgirls.

I've alerted our site host about the sluggishness.  It seems to have loaded fast this time round so maybe they've caught it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2005, 01:22:10 PM »

Well, frozen poop on a stick!

An entire message I posted pre-lunch is totally NOT here.

I seconded that I loved Mary Renault, but that for me, her two masterworks are "Fire From Heaven" and "The Persian Boy."

She has an incredible gift for establishing an ancient place in an ancient time and making her characters seem alive, in that time, yet contemporary.  I think I've read most of her novels.

I'm also a huge fan of Mary Stewart's "The Crystal Cave" and "The Hollow Hills."  She wrote two other Merlin stories, but I've never read them.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2005, 01:22:56 PM »

Loading much faster in these here parts as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2005, 01:32:20 PM »

THE PERSIAN BOY, a book a former boy friend gave me for a gift, and I have never gotten around to reading it. Oh, so many books, movies, TV shows, . . .  so little time!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2005, 01:36:28 PM »

Well, frozen poop on a stick!

An entire message I posted pre-lunch is totally NOT here.

I seconded that I loved Mary Renault, but that for me, her two masterworks are "Fire From Heaven" and "The Persian Boy."

THAT was it!  "The Persian Boy."  "The Charioteer" was the Renault I couldn't get through, as I now recall. (Only one of two books that I never finished reading, the other one being "Death in Venice.")
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 01:49:54 PM by Stuart »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2005, 01:38:39 PM »

Had I the "time", I'd choose reading a book over everything all the time.  

Only problem is, I don't want to "have to" put it down for any great period of time when I cannot control things I'm exposed to (like having to go to work and put up with a ton of crap before getting back to the book).  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2005, 01:40:34 PM »

I also suppose there is a Mary Renault book in there, but for the life of me, I can't recall what it was.  Perhaps THE CHARIOTEER.

I was never a fan of the Mary Renault novels on Alexander the Great, but THE CHARIOTEER is set in World War II, not ancient Greece.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »

And I wasn't much of a fan of THE CHARIOTEER, either!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2005, 01:43:32 PM »

Now if Oliver Stone had just filmed Mary Renault's Alexander novels... then the right wing would really have gone berserk.  BTW, did anyone read that Stone is censoring out all those non-heterosexual bits for the DVD release, because they hurt his box office?

But back to TOD, before I leave work in a flurry.

I used to go through reading orgies of a particular author.  One year it was Arthur Koestler, one year Patrick Dennis, another Evelyn Waugh.

Historically speaking, then, I will second all of Mary Renault.   And Nothing Like the Sun , although I can't think I've read any other Burgess except for A Clockwork Orange.  Does Candide count as a historical novel?  Oh yes, and the Claudius novels, which I read alongside of Suetonius--it's all there, just told in a somewhat different narrative style.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 01:44:18 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:34 PM »

Loading nice and swiftly here, as well! Hurray!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »

And just to be ornery, I should add Kiel Akvo de l' Rivero by Raymond Schwartz, since there is no English translation.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2005, 01:52:19 PM »

Loading nice and swiftly here, as well! Hurray!

I was just catching up with some posts from recent days, and you should know:  you one funny man!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2005, 01:55:19 PM »

Well...he's no Race Gentry, but he's okay.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2005, 01:57:11 PM »

The Lovely Wife & I took a long walk to dinner last night downin the Vermont/Hillhurst corridor and, on the way back, we stopped in a small used CD/DVD/Record shop.  I picked up some Caedmon theatre recordings on record of Cyrano De Bergerac with Ralph Richardson and Anna Massey (the ex-Mrs. Jeremy Brett).  And King Lear starring Paul Scofield, Rachel Roberts, Pamela Brown, Cyril Cusack, Robert Stephens, and John Stride.  Both plays are directed by Howard Sackler.  I also picked up a DVD of Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing and the wonderful 3:10 To Yuma starring Van Heflin & Glenn Ford.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2005, 02:08:40 PM »

DR SWW, I don't have any dogs, but would it be possible to keep Peggy in the yard with a very long leash.  That way she wouldn't be able to jump the fence?  I'm sure it wouldn't be ideal, but at least she would be safe.
Instead of a leash, she would require a chain.  She chomps through leashes, thinks it's great fun.  And der B and I cringe at the idea of chains.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up