Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVEN FOREFEND  (Read 26243 times)

Tomovoz

Re:HEAVEN FOREFEND
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2003, 08:10:30 PM »

No applause for that one Jay! At least you broke the silence.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2003, 08:11:34 PM »

I can assure you I will be posting all weekend. I have a dinner tomorrow afternoon, but otherwise, I will be home and on and off the internet each day, so there will be some people anchoring the boat.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2003, 08:26:17 PM »

Well, I'm assuming the West Coasters are busy watching SURVIVOR or eating or starting to decorate for the holidays or something else equally stimulating. I, for one, must head off for bed having averaged only 5 1/2 hours of sleep over the past two nights. I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow REALLY late. Hope everyone has a pleasant evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2003, 08:27:09 PM »

Oh, and just a small rant about the MPAA and its risible rating system and how things work in theatres.

At Bad Santa, which is most deservedly rated "R" for its potty-mouthed language, depiction of alcohol abuse and sexual situations, two young boys, well under 17 years of age, who undoubtably bought tickets to some other film playing in the multiplex, sat in front of me unaccompanied by an adult.

And how The Haunted Mansion, with its extended scene depicting gruesome images, got a "PG" rating and not one of "PG-13," is beyond me.  There was no nudity or sex involved, so that's probably the reason.

Jack Valenti has announced his retirement, and I am hopeful that whoever takes his place addresses the whole rating system and makes it a meaningful one.  The current system is a joke.  
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2003, 08:27:51 PM »

It is reassuring to know that Gods need sleep too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #245 on: November 26, 2003, 08:33:52 PM »

I won't be around tomorrow after 10 am, and I won't be back until sometime around 5 on Friday. I'm going to my craaaaaazy aunt and uncles house.

Here's a little summary of them: My uncle is creepy, and he walks around on his tiptoes, and randomly comes up behind me and says "Would you like to go and sing with me Sarah?"...SCARY! My aunt is on waaaay too much Prozac, and thinks she has the most wonderful life ever, but sometimes the drugs go to her head and she has like nervous breakdowns. Really really weird. The 14 year old cousin is dating a 19 year old dropout, and she goes to therapy because she thinks her mother is out to ruin her life and possibly kill her. She loves running away. And the 11 year old cousin has every speech impediment known to man, from a lisp to a stutter. I can't understand a word she says. It's sad, actually.

So yes. I'll be full of stories on Friday.

Tom: I think I *am* going to try out. I mean, if I don't make it, I'll still have the audition, and I'll get to see Mamma Mia! If I make it, it'll be a great performance opportunity, and even though I won't get to see the show, I'll be IN a show. *content sigh*, I love it when things work out.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Michael

« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2003, 08:41:01 PM »

I Just received my program for Hello, Dolly! When it played out of town. It is interesting to see all the work that did go into the show before it opened on Broadway. In today's techno world I don't think Hello, Dolly! would have survived.

The following is the program from the Detroit tryout. Scene by Scene. Song by Song. Changes are denoted in BOLD FACE.

Scene One: Dolly Levi's Parlor-Jackson Street, New York City

This scene was dropped. We never see Dolly's apartment in the stage version. We do however see it in the film version on Act Two when she sings "Love Is Only Love"

Scene Two Along Forth Avenue

This scene was dropped. I am surmising that this was a "In Front Of" scene. In other words a brief scene done in front of a closed curtain while the set is being changed.

Scene Three Grand Centeral Station
Song: I Put My Hand In

This is how the show opened on Broadway. There is also the brief chorus number Call On Dolly That was not listed in the program. Not sure if it was in Detropt at this point or not.
Scene Four: A Street In Yonkers

Another in Front of Scene that probably made it to the Broadway version. In the most recent revival (The one that Brice recorded) this scene was not here and Scene three went right into Scene Five

Scene Five: Vandergelder's Hay and Feed Store
Songs: It Takes A Woman & Put On Your Sunday Clothes (part one)

Scene Six: Yonker's Depot
Song: Put On Your Sunday Clothes (Part 2)

Scene Seven: Outside Mrs. Malloy's Hat Shop

Scene Eight: Inside Mrs. Malloy's Hat Shop
Songs: Ribbons Down My Back & Dancing (Part One)

The song Motherhood was added to this scene; was not written by Jerry Herman, but Bob Merril

Scene Eight: A Quiet Street
Song: Dancing Part Two

Scene 10: Joshua Van Groot's Emporium on Fulton Street
Songs Penny In My Pocket and I Put My Hand In Reprise

Of course this entire scene was dropped in favor of the more specatular Act one finale: Before the Parade Passes By and the scene was reset on 14th Street. As they said no one really cared how Horace made his money they were more interested in Dolly[/color]

More to come
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 08:59:49 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2003, 08:51:19 PM »

More, please.  Always fascinating to read this stuff.  And yes, the creators were OUT OF TOWN and no amount of NY chit chat could stop them from doing their work - today, of course, people would be all over this and posting and posting and bitching and telling the creators what they would do and the whole thing would be so public that the creators would be in panic mode rather than calmly fixing what needed to be fixed.  And therein lies the problem with the world of theater today.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #248 on: November 26, 2003, 08:55:01 PM »

Thank God, Jack Valenti, the old cultural imperialist, has retired!  Can I have my screeners now?  Once weekend in Beaune, France, at a film conference, I was lionized by the French for taking Valenti on about cramming American crap entertainment on Europe.  Director Claude Lansmann called me a hero and I was treated like I was Jerry Lewis the rest of the weekend.   Of course, personally, Jack's likeable enough and, at another French film festival here in LA, he did introduce me to Jacqueline Bisset.

Michael

« Reply #249 on: November 26, 2003, 08:57:26 PM »

Hello Dolly in Detriot

ACT TWO

Scene One: In Front Of the Hoffman Hotel
Song: You're A Damn Exasperating Woman

The Scene was dropped in its entirity. From the song I guess that Dolly was in the scene. They made the better choice of waiting for her grand entrance in Hello Dolly.

This scene was substituted with a new scene with Barnaby, Cornelius, Irene and Minnie Fay. The song Elegance was written for this spot and Bob Merrill wrote and not Jerry Herman.

Scene Two: Outside the Harmonia Gardens

Another In Front of Scene. But this was probably dropped when Elegance was done as the in front of.

Scene Three: Harmonia Gardens
Songs: The Waiter's Gallop, Hello Dolly! and No A Million Times No.

No A Million Times No was probably sung at the table scene between Dolly and Horace. (You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine)

The Following scene is really a continuation of this scene.

Scene Four: Tableaux Vignettes
Song: Come and Be My Butterfly

This is the continuations of Scene three and goes back and forth between the Dolly table, Cornelius table, and thge Ambrose Table.

The song Come and Be my Butterfly actually made it to opening night on Broadway but was dropped in favor of the Dance Contest. The original number had Ambrose, Muses, Nymphettes, Flowers and Butterflies. It would have been interesting to hear or have seen this
number.

Scene Five: Courtroom
Songs: It Only Takes a Moment and The Goodbye Song

The Goodbye Song ws dropped in Favor of Song Long Dearie

Scene Six: The Hay and Feed Store
Song: Hello Dolly! Reprise
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2003, 08:58:33 PM »

Charles Pogue, I have always felt you were like Jerry Lewis.

Charles Pogue, how dare you meet Jackie Bisset without ME being there.

All right, who is having a private MSN CONVERSATION WITH HORMONAL MARK BAKALOR?

Michael

« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2003, 09:00:54 PM »

How can BK tell that MB is chatting on MSN? Spooky. 1984ish.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2003, 09:03:11 PM »

It is interesting to note that Glenn Walken played Barnaby in the Detroit Cast and was replaced by Jerry Dodge. Glenn would change his name to Christopher and go onto a oscar winning film career.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2003, 09:09:14 PM »

Intereting names in the ensemble David Hartman, Barbara Sharma, Mary Jo Catlett, Marilynne Mason and John Mineo who is still performing and is still in the cast of the current revival of Chicago on Broadway.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: November 26, 2003, 09:13:47 PM »

I'll tell you how easy it is to know about the MSN thing - Swishy, Andrea and Mark were all signed on but weren't perusing the board - as soon as I mentioned it they all magically disappeared to go into their own land.  Mark "Hormones" Bakalor has once again usurped the young ladies of HHW and they are playing their little private thing and that is fine.  Kind of defeats the purpose of this board, of course, but such is life in the big bad world.

Emily

« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

BK - nothing would ever defeat the purpose of this board.  It's just that I think most DRs would prefer if we kept Mark's hormonal outbursts outside of the main thread of discussion, don't you? ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2003, 09:33:46 PM »

Mark's hormonal outbursts are his affair.  But when it takes people away who would normally be posting right now, then I find it a bit snarky, to tell you the truth.  Snarky has become my new favorite word.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2003, 09:42:50 PM »

I also find the fact that about eight people are perusing and not posting snarky.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2003, 09:43:28 PM »

I ate some snarky popcorn, too, and now I'm feeling a bit snarky.  

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2003, 09:43:53 PM »

if you over use snarky it becomes a non word. It disappears into the ether....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2003, 09:46:32 PM »

Maya, you've come back!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2003, 09:47:37 PM »

What am I, doing a monologue?  What am I, Henny Youngman?  What am I, Spaulding Gray?

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2003, 09:53:15 PM »

I'm glad you typed that SP(alding) Gray  hehe

Tomovoz

« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2003, 09:54:09 PM »

Should we be discussing "The Hunting Of the Snark"? It has a beautiful song performed by Art Garfunkel "As Long As The Moon Can Shine" - not a song I would get snarky about at all.
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2003, 09:54:53 PM »

Unlike other boards where people can't wait to post reviews until a show is officially open I will reserve further comments on NEVER GONNA DANCE until next week.  All I will say now is if anyone is planning on coming to NYC order your tickets now while they are still available because

MUSICAL COMEDY IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING AT THE BROADHURST THEATRE
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:56:59 PM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2003, 09:57:02 PM »

That sounds like a positive assessment.  And not snarky at all.  And not hormonal at all.

Maya, speak to us for God's sake.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2003, 09:57:09 PM »

Sound the trumpets!  I am sooo looking forward to the next 36 hours or so...  Rest, relaxation, sleep!  Today's understudy rehearsal went very well, and we actually got through the whole show.  However, after that five hours and then the show, it made for a very long day in the theatre.  And since the antihistamine I'm taking made me drowsy - it usually doesn't - I was "in and out" all day - during the rehearsal and during the show.  Thankfully, no missed cues, and it was a good show tonight.  Very good audience.  I wish all the cast and crew members travelling tonight... Safe travels!

As for cookies: I like 'em all.  Ones I'm partial too - almost anything chocolate chip, preferably chocolate chunk.  The small natural foods store near me in Richmond carries a line of cookies in their bakery case.  There is a chocolate chip cookie variation they have that has mixed nuts in it - almonds, pecans, brazil nuts, etc.  Quite yummy.  I'm also a big fan of shortbread, plain and flavored ones - I had some exquisitely delicate green tea ones last year from Takashimaya.  And Mexican/Greek wedding cakes are another favorite - or any other ball-shaped cookie rolles in confectioner's sugar.

As for parts I'd like to play in the theatre... The one that sits very close to my heart is Georges/George from Sunday in the Park with George.  However, I also have a feeling it would be quite the emotional trip to go through each night.  Just watching that show makes me cry every time.  And I know what "Finishing the Hat" means now.  Ah, well...  Lived and learned.  I would also like to play Toby in Sweeney Todd.

Well, I'm gonna wrap things up... I'll check back in when I wake up... and who knows what time that will be!?!?! ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2003, 09:59:06 PM »

Wrap things up?  Don't you mean rap things up - yo, homie.

Maya, speak to us for God's sake.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2003, 09:59:11 PM »

Maybe you're Tom from Oz.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2003, 09:59:51 PM »

It is reassuring to know that Gods need sleep too.

Reassuring to whom?  Did you forget that you, too, are an HHW God?

: )
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up