Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WET METAPHOR  (Read 33984 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE WET METAPHOR
« Reply #270 on: April 18, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

BEST FRIENDS

LEFT BEHIND

Across the country, animals are being found abandoned in foreclosed homes. Other pet owners who’ve fallen victim to the subprime mortgage mess, finding themselves just days or even hours from being homeless, are desperately trying to find someone to take in the furry and feathered members of their families. Some have tearfully left their pets at shelters, not knowing what would become of them, but believing they could at least give them some chance of being adopted.

“We’re seeing more and more cases of people leaving their homes and dropping the dog off at the shelter and the cat in the local park,” says Michael Mountain, president of Best Friends Animal Society. “Sometimes they even just tie the dog up outside and drive off.”

Perhaps this is what happened to JJ.

And our temporary fostering of Wiggles probably saved him from a kennel fate.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #271 on: April 18, 2008, 04:36:37 PM »

Have either Ben or Larry noted that:

"The Pope Wears Prada"?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #272 on: April 18, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »

DR Ginny, I did have 2 Myths and Realities handouts, the citizenship quiz questions for people over 65 and a NYT article about people being deported after applying for citizenship.   I noticed that no one left them behind, so they must have been interested

S u C C E S S
That's the way we spell success.

Do we have it?
Well I guess!

S U C C E S S !!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »

We will be expecting a FULL report on the trial, DR CILLA LIZ.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »

I think I will watch four episodes of I LOVE LUCY on TVLand.....and see how many edits I can find.

It is also fun to watch LUCY with the CC on, they do some very creative things with the dialog!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »

Gay.com is reproting that Luke MacFarlane, who plays Scotty Wandell on BROTHERS AND SISTERS came out today in a Toronto newspaper.  Wasn't his sexual preference pretty much common knowledge?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »

Gay.com is reproting that Luke MacFarlane, who plays Scotty Wandell on BROTHERS AND SISTERS came out today in a Toronto newspaper.  Wasn't his sexual preference pretty much common knowledge?

Today? It's been news since Tuesday or Wednesday at least!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »

I think that it was a well-known secret. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I "escaped" from Chelsea Studios right at 5:40pm, and then met up with my friend, Michael, who was more than happy to join me as I broke my fast.  ;)  I knew I wanted to keep the dinner - and my meals for the next few days vegetarian/vegan - and we had planned to head up to Zen Palate in the Theatre District.  Well, I had just read a blurb about Blossom in Chelsea - which was just a few blocks from the rehearsal studios, so we headed over to there to peek at the menu to see if we wanted to dine there instead.  Needless to say, that's where we ended up for dinner, and we both ended up having some very delicious food - that just happened to be vegan.

I started off with their Beet & Tofu Salad: "Roasted beets with baked sweet & spicy tofu and daikon radish. Sherry wine reduction."  Very good, and the roasted golden/yellow beets were a nice counterpart to the tofu.

For our entrees, Michael had their Phyllo Roulade: "French lentils & root vegetables baked in a phyllo crust. Caramelized onion complement. Served with rainbow swiss chard."  It also appeared to have some sort of sauce made out of pureed carrots and/or butternut squash.  Michael raved about the whole dish - "It's like a giant eggroll!", and that sauce really was pretty amazing.

I had their signature "Feijoadinha with Smokey Tempeh": "A lighter version of the national dish of Brazil, "Feijoada". Smokey roasted tempeh in a stew of black beans, chayote squash and sweet potatoes in an orange-lime broth."  Very well spiced, hearty and filling.  It also came topped with a tangle of thin fried-crisp strips of sweet potatoes.  YUM!

The food really was quite good, and we were not the only table talking openly about how much we loved our food.  And the portions were on the slightly generous side - which went along with the slightly "generous" prices.  ;)  In any case, I'd definitely go back there again, and probably will.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

And since we were in Chelsea, and since we were on 23rd Street, I decided to show Michael were Madeleine Patisserie was... ;)

Needless to say, we went in there too.  I gave Michael a tour of the pastry case.  The owner was working this afternoon, and she congratulated me on identifying all the various macarons, madeleines, meringues and tarts - and their flavors! - for my friend.  Michael tried two of their macarons and one of their madeleines - then cursed me for showing him another place for some "indulgences".  I went ahead and got three macarons - when I break a fast, I break a fast! - Coconut/White Chocolate, Nougat and Passion Fruit/Chocolate.  Oooohhh sooooo gooooood!  :)

*Just for kicks, we walked over to Madison Square Park to see what the line was like at Shake Shack - and to see what the Frozen Custard Flavor du Jour was - which turned out to be Lemon Verbena.  Alas, the line was about 75 people deep - or about an hour's wait, so we just kept walking.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »

Finally, we walked up to 32nd Street - a.k.a. Koreatown - where I stopped in to Mandoo Bar to pick up a bag of their amazing Kimchi Dumplings (frozen).  22 dumplings filled with kimchi, pork and vegetables for only $9.00 - a very good deal.  And they should make a nice dinner later on next week.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »

Awww...  My nephew was on the Fox Morning News in DC this morning!  My brother just sent me the link:

Holly Morris: Blow 'Em Up Day at Noodles & Noggins

There are two video clips.  You can see him - as well as his mother and Emily, my niece - in the background a few times.  He's wearing a red t-shirt and brown shorts.  -He's also the one who keeps yelling "Nitrogen" as well as mugging for the camera every now and then in the second clip.

...I can't wait to see them again next weekend!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »

Back from dinner.  All packages are packaged and awaiting postage - we'll try to get all of the postage done tomorrow and Sunday, then take all this stuff over to the post office Monday morning and drop it off.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #283 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »

Well, I'm off.  I bought some frozen chocolate chip cookie dough from Schwann's yesterday (they come here to our work!) and I may make some cookies tonight. :D I know they're not home-made, but they are home-baked...and that's good enough for me...for now.

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

Not a bad day for orders - we probably had forty or fifty.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »

Jose - the DAMN YANKEES auditions you played for yesterday and today, were these Equity only auditions?  Were they for certain characters?  I just can't imagine an audition in New York that isn't packed with actors.

It was an Equity Open Call, but since the day was so slow, we were able to see non-Equity people throughout the day.  In fact, we were able to see all the non-Equity people who signed up to be seen.  It was just a general call for everyone: leads and ensemble.  The only two roles cast so far are Applegate (Sean Hayes) and Lola (Jane Krakowski).  Everything else is still available.  We were really surprised at the low showing of older character men and women today.  Usually when a show is looking to fill "older" roles, we get quite a nice turnout. Not this time, not over the past three days.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »

OH!

BK - I happened to run into an old friend of mine from DC while walking around Chelsea earlier tonight.  He was walking around with another friend of his.  Who happens to star in THIS.  ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »

Starring Randy Jones of The Village People? Isn't he the one with the "call me Peggy" gossip going around for years?

I see John Doyle will direct BOUNCE at the Public. Isn't his 15 minutes over already? I thought the Metropolitan Opera debacle of PETER GRIMES was the nail in the coffin.

Well, I'm just glad that the other director who was attached to the show last year is now no longer attached to it.   :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #289 on: April 18, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »

Awww...  -He's also the one who keeps yelling "Nitrogen" as well as mugging for the camera every now and then in the second clip.

AWWW... and funny.   I didn't spot Emily ???  

Ginny

« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2008, 06:54:39 PM »

Back in my room at the end of a very long day.  The bored board meeting was uneventful, except for the president giving each of us a thank-you gift - a small bear wearing an AAUW T-shirt.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

DRJOSE - your nephew nearly got a BIG CLOSEUP!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »

Back in my room at the end of a very long day.  The bored board meeting was uneventful, except for the president giving each of us a thank-you gift - a small bear wearing an AAUW T-shirt.

AA(U)WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2008, 06:57:31 PM »

AWWW... and funny.   I didn't spot Emily ???  

Oh... She's being carried by her mother.  Vero is wearing a black hoodie.  I think you can only see her in the first clip - which is the second one.  Vero works at Noodles & Noggins, and she was "working" this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »

DRJOSE - your nephew nearly got a BIG CLOSEUP!!!

And a lot of Coke on his face too!

-Hmm... That almost sounds a bit unseemly.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »

DR Jose - cute video of your family members.  Those activities remind me of the stuff Richard used to do when he was teaching math & science to gifted 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.  Did everybody get hosed down after the cola geysers?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »

DR Jose - cute video of your family members.  Those activities remind me of the stuff Richard used to do when he was teaching math & science to gifted 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.  Did everybody get hosed down after the cola geysers?

I'm not sure if everyone got cleaned up afterwards.  I'm just wondering if today was a school holiday or if that was filmed before they all went to school? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »

Oh, we now have hot water  ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »

We had our hottest day of the Spring here today (over 70F). The weird part is wearing sandals while looking at huge boulders of snow/ice.

We had so much snow this year that there were piles 10 feet+ high. And they haven't melted yet. It is very odd!

Ginny

« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

DR Cillaliz - glad to hear that your presentation went so well today.  That group sounds like it could have been an AAUW branch!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up