Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG PARAGRAPHS  (Read 52321 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE LONG PARAGRAPHS
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2004, 02:03:21 PM »

They were recalled and reprinted. But those that have still sealed they are worth $$$$$

Well, I checked mine; it says "Stephen" so I guess I bought it later than I thought, probably waiting for the NARAS discount.  I have a vague memory that something similar occurred with either the published orchestra score for CANDIDE or WEST SIDE STORY from Boosey & Hawkes, but I just checked my copies and didn't find anything.
I've forgotten more than I learned.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2004, 02:04:08 PM »

I DID IT! PAGE 4!!!  How do I make those damned things dance?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2004, 02:08:16 PM »

Echo says thank you to Abie, Angel, Nicholas,TCD, DearReader Laura, Kerry, Jennifer and MBarnum.  She feels a bit better today, though not at all pleased her Mommy when hiking without her.

Michael the photo from the wedding is beautiful.  It was a perfect day for Table Rock.  There were loads of wildflowers and the views were spectacular.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2004, 02:09:48 PM »

elmoore, I know you'll appreciate an e-mail I just got.  Apparently in some old notes I criticized the orchestrations of someone named Martin Erskine as being horrid.  I don't remember what I was discussing and the e-mail from Mr. Erskine didn't tell me.  He was upset that I had the temerity to have an opinion.  It was quite a short and nasty e-mail, but I responded nicely.  My favorite line was "I guess you didn't like Chicago, either".  I told him I did - I liked all the orchestrations from all the contributors.  I'm sure the fact that I said "contributors" will irk him, but all he has to do is read the interview with Larry Blank.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2004, 02:10:07 PM »

Oh, I saw a bunch of roadshows and a bunch of Cineramas. We were lucky enough to have a Cinerama theater in Charlotte, so I saw most of them. Going there was a big deal, and I'd have to dress up in my Sunday best to go to the movies there.

That theater also plays non-Cinerama offerings like STAR! and HELLO, DOLLY! when there were no Cinerama attractions to see.

Who else is old enough to remember the "widescreen" version of GONE WITH THE WIND?  Ruined the compositions, of course by doing that, but that played at the Carolina, our Cinerama theater, too.

I think PAINT YOUR WAGON was the last roadshow movie I saw there.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2004, 02:11:00 PM »

Thanks, DR Elmore, for the harp "lesson." I did not know that, and I realized that maybe I've never even been close enough to a harp before to have noticed that.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2004, 02:15:52 PM »

GOOD ENERGY & GOOD NEWS VIBES TO PANNI!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2004, 02:19:15 PM »

Panni needs vibes AGAIN?  

I looked up which orchestration by Mr. Erskine that I found horrid and it was his orchestrations for the TV version of The Music Man.  Sorry, Mr. Erskine, still feel that way.  The arrangements and reorchestrations don't work for me.  They might for others and that is what makes horse racing.  Seeing some of Mr. Erskine's credits, he's done excellent work.  I just don't find The Music Man excellent in any way, shape or form.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2004, 02:21:40 PM »

LauraII what is this new photo?

Penny O just called from Salem and should be here around 6:00.

Glad to have you back Paulie.  Good luck choosing a school.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2004, 02:23:06 PM »

Ahh, how I miss cable.  I have to make do with radio for the FSN broadcasts.

Well, son, I could always post the stats every 15 minutes, if that would help.

I saw a lot of the road shows (mostly the big musicals), and a few of the Cinerama films.  The one Cinerama film that I always regretted not seeing was How The West Was Won.

My favorite road show engagements were Ben Hur and West Side Story.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2004, 02:24:01 PM »

Panni needs vibes AGAIN?  

DDRachel left today.  

MORE GOOD VIBES PANNI  ;)

Jane

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2004, 02:25:38 PM »

TCB-I went to the post office today.  Let me know if the photo arrives safely.  I had it sitting in my warm car while I was hiking this morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2004, 02:26:51 PM »

Oh, gosh, yes, all the big musicals of the 1960s like CAMELOT, OLIVER! FUNNY GIRL, MY FAIR LADY, SOUND OF MUSIC, FINIAN'S RAINBOW were all roadshow presentations. But neither THE MUSIC MAN nor GYPSY was. Strange.

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2004, 02:29:55 PM »

[quote author=TCB

I can understand how people can get addicted to the show, what with all the fan groups cheering on their favorites from the audience, but I think I’ll stick to watching the Seattle Mariners tonight instead.

Are they a pop group or a religious choir. I remember reading something about a change of uniforms.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2004, 02:30:32 PM »

I can't think of a single aspect of the TV version of The Music Man that was enjoyable.  I was not aware that Martin Erskine had done the orchestrations, but now that I know, I think they were horrid, too.

“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2004, 02:30:40 PM »

Dr Jane, glad that you had fun on the hike! We must find a picture of Table Rock for the other DRs to admire. It is one of my favorite Rogue Valley sights!

PennyO is passing through Salem?! I must virtually wave as she goes by!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2004, 02:32:27 PM »

TCB-I went to the post office today.  Let me know if the photo arrives safely.  I had it sitting in my warm car while I was hiking this morning.

Thank you, Jane, you and Keith are wonderful.

“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2004, 02:33:50 PM »

Now to find a way to reseal my copy of "Saturday Night". I can get it "shrink wrapped". Does that mean I get $$$$$?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2004, 02:40:59 PM »

Panni needs vibes AGAIN?  

I did NOT ask for vibes, Mr. bk. ::)  I merely stated early this morn that I'd like some good news. I think that if you just put something on this here site, sometimes good things happen because IMHO this is a ***magical site.******
Some of the DRs were kind enough upon reading my post to offer UNSOLICITED GV's. :-*
And that's the story, Mr. bk.

Panni

« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2004, 02:49:19 PM »

Welcome (back) Paulie! The University of Windsor has an excellent Theater School (of which I am a graduate) and they have, I gather, recently begun a major in Musical Theater. It might be worth checking out. (Plus - the Canadian dollar will offer you quite a saving.)
If you tell the head of the school that I recommended you inquire, you will be treated well. Knock 3 times and tell them Panni sent you. (Seriously, if you're interested, email me.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »

Vibes AGAIN?  I do understand that this here site is magical.  Magical, mystical, miracle, can it be, is it true?  Things are impossibly lyrical, is it me, is it you?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2004, 03:00:46 PM »

And last week Simon didn't like LaToya either commenting that she had a cat on her head! :)

He praised her performance, but didn't like her hairpiece.

Not quite the same as the way he treats Diana De Garmo!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2004, 03:01:05 PM »

DDRachel left today.  
MORE GOOD VIBES PANNI  ;)

Thank you, Jane. To quote TCB, "You and Keith are wonderful."

DD and I had a wonderful time. It's quite amazing to see her growing up before my eyes. She's a very young looking 20 - looks about 17 - and sometimes acts it. But at other times, she is very mature and very sweet. I'm inordinately proud of her. She is a very good person - which pleases me more than anything. But she is also pretty and smart and personable. (Not a totally unbiased opinion - but strangers say the same thing.) And she's become a really hard worker - a surprise. For example - she left here on a 7AM flight. Had to go to her job on campus at 10 AM. Worked until 1. Had a class until 3. Then back to her campus job until 5. Not bad.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2004, 03:13:05 PM »

Dr Jane, glad that you had fun on the hike! We must find a picture of Table Rock for the other DRs to admire. It is one of my favorite Rogue Valley sights!

PennyO is passing through Salem?! I must virtually wave as she goes by!

I used to visit Table Rock on weekend outings with my folks.  We probably hit that area four times between the time I was 10 and when I was 18.  My mom and I climbed to the top once and my father met us at the top in the car.  It was a heck of a climb.  Ah, those good old days back in North Carolina!!!   ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2004, 03:13:56 PM »

Yes, DR MBarnum and Jane and others....I know you are talking about a Table Rock in Oregon, but I could not resist!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2004, 03:18:03 PM »

Oh! Oh!  I watched "Ziegfeld Girl" last night!!! Fantabulous!

(Approximations of the dialogue):

A young Dan Daily to Lana Turner: "Say! You're one of them refrigerator dames, ain't you!"

Lana to Dan:  "That's right!  And you aren't the lug that's gonna defrost me!"

Man-oh-man-oh-man-oh-man!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 11:36:30 PM by RLP »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »

Oh! Oh!  I watched "Ziegfeld Girl" last night!!! Fantabulous!

(Approximations of the dialogue):

A young Dan Daily to Lana Turner: "Say! You're one of them frigid dames, ain't you!"

Lana to Dan:  "That's right!  And you aren't the lug that's gonna thaw me!"

Man-oh-man-oh-man-oh-man!

She probably caught him in one of her gowns.

Laura II

« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2004, 03:32:55 PM »

Jane, it's a picture from a scene in Thoroughly Modern Millie. It takes place right before "Jimmy." I have loads of Millie pics (well, not loads, I just have quite a few), and I felt like changing my avatar. I chose this one because I guess it sums up something I've been feeling, but who knows! Anyway, it's spring, and "love" is in the air. I'm in the mood for a spring fling!

Panni, you mentioned that Rachel looks like she's 17. Ah, to be 17 again. I do believe that the summer after my 17th birthday was the best time of my life as of now. If I were on my other comp, I would post a picture of me at 17 that captures that summer. *sigh* I miss it, but this summer could be even better. Oh, and some good vibes for you! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I'm going to jump on the Paulie bandwagon and ask for suggestions regarding my college decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! I only have to decide between the two schools to which I applied: the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA, and La Salle University in Philly. Thanks in advance!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »

I was reading another message board where I was reminded of an "American Idol" audition show for the current competition.

A blond girl had sung and Simon said she reminded him of Jessica Simpson. The audience applauded, and Simon said, "But she's only a pop star. That's not what we're looking for here."

A couple of weeks ago, Simon told one of the contestants "We're looking for a pop star and you don't fit that image to me."

Simon's idea of what "they" are looking for changes from week to week.

Oh, yes...that link to an MSNBC article about "the people" having too much power -- the female writer was all over John Stevens as not belonging in the competition, but nothing negative about Camile Belasco who has stunk up the show royally week after week after week.

Her own biases show through her story.  The people power she thinks ruins the show is the same people power that drives Hollywood....the people PAY for the tickets that drive up grosses and it's the people's tastes Hollywood aims for so that more PAYING gets done.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 03:37:42 PM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2004, 03:53:03 PM »

Ask BK:   Why is it that after I read your notes today I developed an aversion toward capuccinos?

;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up