Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POINT  (Read 18125 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE POINT
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2004, 09:26:55 AM »

Windjammer was in a rival process called Cinemiracle - I saw it at the Chinese Theater.  Wasn't quite the same experience.

In true Cinerama I've seen Seven Wonders of the World (those who've read Benjamin Kritzer know my feelings, although one thing I learned from the documentary last night was that I might have gotten one detail wrong - I have to go back and look - can anyone guess what that detail might be?), This is Cinerama (recently in three-panel at the Dome), West and Grimm.  After seeing clips from Cinerama's Russian Adventure, South Seas Adventure and Cinerama Holiday I would know love to see those, too.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2004, 09:37:39 AM »

I am off to Sandy Eggo, Dear Readers, to catch a performance of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (brought to life by the same people who, variously, brought us The Full Monty and Hairspray) in its pre-Broadway run at the Old Globe Theatre in beautiful Balboa Park.  Full report when I return.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »

Digging through my many and nefarious cookbooks after signing off last night, I have managed to find out what has happened to garlic bread!

To begin with, I had trouble finding anything in any Italian cookbook.  Good reason for that: they're all post-rediscovered-Italian-from-Italy cookbooks.  To find true American Italian Garlic Bread, I was going to have to look elsewhere.

Sure enough, I found a recipe in the Good Housekeeping Cook Book of 1942, a copy of which my father gave to me.  Good start, involving butter or margarine, peeled cloves of garlic, a long loaf of French bread, and grated Parmesan cheese.  Plus paprika, for color.  This suggested that I search through some of the cooking history books I have on hand.

The big clue as to what has happened to Garlic Bread came from Sylvia Lovegren's Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads,where on page 173 she states that "Garlic bread was an important adjunct to Spaghetti Suppers in the Forties, but only in the Fifties did it come into it's proper and very popular role as a barbecue side dish."

Say what?  Have we been misplacing garlic bread?  Or has it relocated itself?

Sure enough, I've been finding traditional Italian-American garlic bread recipes in the barbecue books.  The guru of Barbecue, Steve Raichlen, includes a couple of recipes in his opus The Barbecue! Bible.

Raichlen calls for a loaf of French bread, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces, then lenghwise.  For the spread, he takes a half cup of olive oil or butter (I can see the sense in using a combo, for flavor purposes), four minced cloves of garlic, and a teaspoon of grated lemon zest, plus some minced parsley.  Generously brush the bread all over with the garlic oil, and heat on a medium-high grill for two to four minutes per side.

The only part of the recipe that I can think of that Raichlen doesn't is freshly grated Parmesan.  But this is "man-food," no exact terms, just do it and do it the way you want.  It's all in the technique and the enjoyment of the end results, not in the picky little details.  But isn't it great to know that traditional garlic bread still has a place in our meals, and that it's just been relocated to a different tradition?

And that (meaningful pause) is the other half of the story.  (A Paul Harvey reference.)

I'm still going to have to work on the Smoke House connection.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a beautiful Sunday morning or something.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2004, 10:33:15 AM »

LOL DRJAY......take your time.  I will count three and pray.

Damn former reader DREVILKURT still has my copy of Benjamin Kritzer....so I can't check the Cinerama details.....hmmmmmmmmm.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2004, 10:33:58 AM »

MRBK the old seller now has nothing for sale under his NEW name....due to a "listing problem" it says.  Hmmmmmmmmmm......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2004, 10:34:08 AM »

Of course he also has our money.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2004, 10:39:04 AM »

Just a quick good morning. This is my last weekend in town before Ruderpest and I have a thousand move-related things to take care of - not to mention writing.
Will check in later.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2004, 10:41:57 AM »

DRJOSE must be banging the ivories to beat the band.....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2004, 11:03:53 AM »

Had to come back to quote Kurt Vonnegut from an article in today's LA Times...

"Wherever I teach creative writing — and I have done it, God help me, at Smith and Harvard, the Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa and at City College in New York City — I have never mentioned the possibility of changing the world for the better by means of a work of art. What I have tried to teach instead is sociability: how to be a good date on a blind date; how to show a total stranger a good time; or, if you like, how to run a nice restaurant or whorehouse. The same would have been my main lesson had I been teaching jazz.

As for hoping to improve people's morals, if not making history, by means of art: The playwright typically finds himself or herself "preaching to the choir," to the converted, so to speak. An audience, after all, has not been dragooned into a theater but has come there with the expectation that their morals will be confirmed, that a play will say to them, in effect, "You are not alone."..."

Danise

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2004, 11:35:34 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm taking it easy today.  Being a real lazy bones.  

I did try to take the dogs for a walk but it wasn't a long one.  There are to many spooky/scary things starting to appear in people’s yards and Bear had a real sudden urge to head for home.  My hero.  Brandi could care less.

I love garlic bread.  Maybe the carb craze has everyone bread-phobic.  

Right now I have a yummy beef roast in the roaster/cooker along with some potatos that I cut slices in and stuffed some paper thin onion slices.  You would be amazed how good that makes the potatoes.

It hard to think of poor DR Jose, slaving away in a pit someplace.   ;)  One can only hope he can escape sometime soon.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2004, 11:37:24 AM »

Loved garlic bread. Love all bread, frankly, and I have the waistline to prove it. I really have no self-control when a basket of rolls, breadsticks, or bread is placed on a table. I try not to keep any around the house.

Now, now, MattH, we saw the pool pictures, last summer, and we know that isn't true.  Personally, I stopped swimming in our own Puget Sound after the time when my swim coincided with the newspaper headline:

WHALE POD SPOTTED IN SOUND
[/b][/size].

Garlic bread!  Yum! Yum!  Most Italian restaurants around this area still serve garlic bread, but usually only on request.

The only Cinerama film I can think of that I actually saw in that format was BROTHER'S GRIMM, but I thought there was a second film.  Maybe, it was IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD.......?  I agree with George that the Cinerama Theater in Seattle does make every film you see there look special.  I remember seeing 2001 and THE EXORCIST there years ago, and also, CAMELOT.  I tried watching BROTHER'S GRIMM on television once, and it was pretty awful.

I still love DAMN YANKEES, regardless of its shortcomings.  Maybe because it is a warm childhood memory.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2004, 11:41:34 AM »

Good morning! It is just me and TCB...hey, that rhythms.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2004, 11:42:45 AM »

DR Elmore3003, I am proud of you for taking the Bollywood plunge...even if it wasn't quite to you liking! LOL!

Elmore3003 watched JISM and BHOOT BUNGLA, for those in the know.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2004, 11:43:40 AM »

BK I am excited to hear your Astrud Gilberto connection...you know I wonder if she ever tours? Or is she retired now?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2004, 11:44:45 AM »

Hey, Michael, how are you???

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2004, 11:47:05 AM »

Michael, are there ever any gay-themed Bollywood films, or would that be taboo?
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2004, 12:13:06 PM »

I just ordered the I MARRIED JOAN and MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY DVD collections.  Everything old is new again!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2004, 12:13:37 PM »

Good afternoon, everyone. I just got home from church. That's all I have to report, except to say that I have never seen a Cinerama movie, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 12:14:41 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2004, 12:43:31 PM »

Jay, I saw The Fly/Opera thing in the paper as well.  I think I have to consult the guild and see if I have any seperation of rights in this issue.  Because The Fly was technically a remake, I may not...but it seems if the Opera is specifically based my and Cronenberg's screen, it seems there ought to be some sort of ancillary rights attached.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »

JRand54,   Take a lesson from an old book collector, never loan books out unless you expect to never see them agan.

Tomovoz

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2004, 12:59:34 PM »

If this works, thank DR Jane.

One of the most beautiful villages of France:
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2004, 01:04:36 PM »

Lovely photo TOMovOZ....wow!

Yes, DRCHARLESPOGUE.....I will get it back...but it may take some arm-twisting.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2004, 01:07:15 PM »

Ta -da!  A Sunday quiz for some DR's of a certain age.

Can you identify this woman - profiled in a September, 1967, issue of LOOK magazine?

She was on television regularly from 1960-1970.  She is particularly indentified with one type of programming.   8)

Keep guessing......I will let you know when someone guesses correctly!

Good luck!  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2004, 01:32:44 PM »

People would get upset with me when I wouldn't lend them books.  But when you're a collector, unless you have "reading" copies you don't care about, you never lend anything out because they don't come back in the condition you lent them or, as Pogue says, they don't come back at all.

I'm back from a lovely long walk - haven't done that in a while.  Love my neighborhood and love coming home to my new home environment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2004, 01:48:01 PM »

No guesses?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2004, 02:05:50 PM »

JRand54,   Take a lesson from an old book collector, never loan books out unless you expect to never see them agan.

The same thing is true of DVDs and videos. I loaned my copy of the 1984 Tonys (SUNDAY IN THE PARK, LA CAGE, THE RINK, TAP DANCE KID year), and I never saw it again. By the time I asked about it, the person I loaned it to said they just couldn't find it. So now, if anyone wants to borrow something like that, I make them a copy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2004, 02:09:26 PM »

Spent two hours this afternoon with the next (second) disc in the BROADWAY DVD set: the Cole Porter, Ethel Merman/R&H years culminating with MY FAIR LADY and THE SOUND OF MUSIC. There really were only a few clips I hadn't seen before: some of PORGY & BESS and the wonderful "Kids" from THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW. Just caught a glimpse of Dick Gautier, but was he something special back then or what? Wow! I bet he had chorus boys and girls drooling back then.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2004, 02:23:26 PM »

Michael, are there ever any gay-themed Bollywood films, or would that be taboo?

For the most part the subject is still taboo, although there certainly is a large gay population in the film capital of Bombay/Mumbai (as you can tell by some of the rather flamboyant male dancers in many Bollywood movies. LOL). Just recently they made a film called GIRLFRIEND (which I bought on DVD) which dealt with lesbianism between to best friends. It got a lot of press and had people demonstating out front of theaters (via the publicity department, no doubt), but the story line was lame and the main lesbian ended up being a crazy killer who tries to off her "girlfriend's" boyfriend. I don't  recommend it...although it does have some good musical numbers! LOL!

Most Bollywood movies take the safe route and avoid anything too controversial (although the subject of out of wedlock birth and sex before marriage has been dealt with in numerous Bollywood movies in the 50s and 60s). There is a brand new release called PHIR MILENGE which is sort of a remake of PHILADELPHIA, but with a young woman who contracts HIV from a one night stand and later loses her job when her employer finds out. It is supposed to be quite good and has been a big hit in India. I have the DVD coming any day now.

And there was an India/Canadian co-production called, I think, FIRE, which dealt with lesbianism in a more adult matter...but I believe it has not even been released in India, and is considered more of an "art" film, rather then a "Bollywood" film.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 02:26:52 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2004, 02:30:08 PM »

I tried DR Jrand54, but I cannot figure out who that is a picture of.  :(

TomofOz, how could you even return from such beautiful scenery. What a lovely looking place!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up