Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEWLESS  (Read 16402 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:CLEWLESS
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2006, 06:04:11 PM »

I napped several hours this afternoon.  Too much excitement last night, I suppose.

That, and the hotel bed wasn't all that comfy.  

There's no place like home.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2006, 06:04:45 PM »

Page 4.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »

Dick Clark = courage and class.

Yes, I have the Emmy broadcast on my little black & white TV here by the computer.  Haven't seen much of what's nominated.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:18:35 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2006, 06:30:15 PM »

Hey, DR Ben!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »

Hey, DR Elmore!

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »

Yes, and if Bonnie's father, John, is in the audience, give him a HHW.com shout from all of us (or go up to him and give him a hug).

Of course Cillaliz would have to travel a long, long way to give John Raitt a hug since if he is watching, and perhaps he is, it would be from the heavens or wherever handsome old baritones go after they are deceased.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2006, 07:16:37 PM »

Candice Bergen wore a gown that redefines why everyone should own a wide-screen television.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2006, 07:23:44 PM »

Of course Cillaliz would have to travel a long, long way to give John Raitt a hug since if he is watching, and perhaps he is, it would be from the heavens or wherever handsome old baritones go after they are deceased.
Our Cillaliz can do anything!

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »

Yes, and if Bonnie's father, John, is in the audience, give him a HHW.com shout from all of us (or go up to him and give him a hug).

Yes, Ron...John Raitt died...February 20th...2005.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2006, 07:47:07 PM »

Well, I have just been informned...no, COMANDED...that I CANNOT watch the Emmys as they're being broadcast on the West Coast.  I MUST watch them on VHS tape at a later time/date, because we have too much house/yard cleaning still to do today. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »

My mom has been here for a couple of hours, too, and she's been fixing up the little garden area in front of my house.  She cleaned out the old daisies and weeds and put in new lavender plants.  I've been in my bedroom putting stuff that I want to keep in boxes, recycleable papers in a box for recycling, old clothes in bags and finding things that I should never have lost. ;)

I found the 1995 International Tour cast recording of Camelot that I have been looking for for a couple of years, now!  I ushered at the performance that came to Olympia in 1995 and bought the CD.  From what I remember, it's not bad, but it's not absolutely fabulous (I'll listen to it at work tomorrow).  It starred James Warwick as Arthur and Constance Curtis as Guenevere AND Daniel Narducci as Lancelot!  He recorded the new Bernstein Peter Pan with Linda Eder!  Who knew??  Not me!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:54:15 PM by George »

George

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

I'm especially hoping to find the Netflix movie that I lost and paid for, "Latter Days."  If I do find it, it's mine to keep.  Fortunately, I did want to buy it....but I could've gotten it for less anywhere else. :-\

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:55:15 PM by George »

George

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2006, 07:50:34 PM »

Anyway, I've got to get back to my bedroom.  I also have a lot of laundry to do tonight, but that'll have to be after my mom and sister have left.  

So...sorry about having to bail out of the Emmys.  It's not my fault! :(

;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2006, 07:55:09 PM »

Will Bob Survive!!!!?????

Running joke.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2006, 07:58:14 PM »

Thinking back to an earlier moment...

Nope, can't do it, it would be another spoiler.  Sorry.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2006, 08:15:03 PM »

Glory be, the Emmys ended on time! Actually, Conan signed off three minutes before the hour. First time that's happened in quite a while.

I have to say I thought the show was excellent. The opening routines of Conan falling, droppeing, or walking into various shows was hilarious for me, a full-time TV watcher. Seeing him interacting with some of my favorite characters was really fun.

And there were segments throughout to keep things fresh and funny. Conan is irreverent about the awards anyway so that keeps things from getting too solemn and stuffy.

Nice tributes to Dick Clark and Aaron Spelling though each went on a little longer than necessary for my taste.

As for the winners, well, like every year, I loved some of the choices, liked some of the choices, and wanted to put my fist through the screen with some of the picks. But it's that way with EVERY awards show I've ever watched.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »

Candice Bergen wore a gown that redefines why everyone should own a wide-screen television.

Absolutely the ugliest outfit at the Emmys - without question.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2006, 08:20:37 PM »

And the show was not telecast in high definition either. I said this last year, and I'll say it again.

It is a SHAME AND DISGRACE that the Television Academy wouldn't want to have its awards broadcast in the highest quality possible. Yes, it would cost them more to do so, but for TV not to honor its own with the best possible quality broadcast says VOLUMES about the Academy's own estimate of itself.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:28 PM »

Before the Emmys came on, I watched Wednesday night's PROJECT RUNWAY episode which was being rerun on Bravo. I can see why many of you folks love the show. It does get you caught up in the personalities of the designers, and it's easy to get rooting favorites quickly. This is the first episode I've ever watched, and I already know who I want to win. I'll watch the rest of the series just to see how my choice makes out. (Sorry - I can't say a name, this being my first time, I wasn't looking at names but rather faces and creations.)

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2006, 08:24:35 PM »

Tomorrow I will have the season finales of DEADWOOD and ENTOURAGE, another episode of RENO 911!, and the GREY'S ANATOMY episode which ran opposite the Emmys tonight.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2006, 08:42:54 PM »

The finale to DEADWOOD was majorly disappointing; as was the whole season frankly...the performances and individual scenes were fine, both the whole thing more or less added up to nothing and what there was was dissatisfying.  It's become like a big soap opera or the Twin Peaks wank job.  They keep you around hoping for a resolution to something that just turns out to be an inconclusive shaggy dog story.

Part of the reason that I no longer watch the Emmys (and the Oscars is about to follow hard on Emmys' heels for me) is that the mystique of stardom has been, thanks to crap shows like Entertainment  Tonight, magazines like People,  channels like E!, and even supposedly legitimate news shows, reduced to paltry celebrity.  When a rich non-entity like Paris Hilton can become a celebrity, you know that the magic has gone.  They all look small and little  these days and we know too much about them.  I believe Norma Desmond only gotten half-right.  Yes, "the pictures got small"; but so did the actors and actresses playing in them.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »

Still have 13 posts before we get past the all-time low. Here's one.

Yes, there were some disappointments at the Emmys: shows or actors who were passed over. On the other hand, the Emmys have always been slow to the party. It took THE SOPRANOS four tries to win the Emmy for Best Drama. WILL & GRACE didn't get nominated for any major awards until its second year. I LOVE LUCY lost all of its Emmy nominations its first year up for awards. THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW won Best Comedy Writing for its first year, but the show wasn't nominated as Best Comedy Series and neither were any of the actors that first year (then, it won Best Comedy Series its next four years.).

So, for those favorite shows that didn't win Best Drama (particularly surprised this one show went home empty handed; won't mention any names so as not to spoil it for the West Coast), take heart. There's always next year.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

DR SWoody, I have found that the best way to deal with folks like this is to say, "Okay," and let them think they've won. You won't win, even though you are right.  It saves time and frustration.

I agree.  "You're probably right" also leaves people with little else to say.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »

Have to differ with Charles Pogue about DEADWOOD's season. I've been riveted by it all summer long. The tension George Hurst (Gerald McRaney) brought to the camp has been palpable for me, kept me on the edge of my seat every single week. I've laughed out loud with Calmity Jane and Wu and the weasely mayor (whose name escapes me).

Now, I haven't seen tonight's finale. It may indeed be a letdown, but I still have enjoyed tremendously all that has gone before.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2006, 08:52:44 PM »

When "Three's Company" started, Susan Sommers' character was just a ditzy blonde.  Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but still, a "real" character.  As the series went on, she morphed into a caricature that was so far from a realistic persona, that I totally lost interest in the entire show.

I feel like that happened with everyone on Friends too.  Instead of being people with quirky characteristics, they each became their respective quirky characteristic personified.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »

I'm going to head for bed now. It was very, very late when I turned out the light last night, and I'd like to get more than 7 hours of sleep if at all possible.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »

Only seven more posts before the dreaded low is avoided. Hope others will give it the old college try.

As for me,

good night!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2006, 08:59:33 PM »

I watched the Emmy's, not to bad and kudos to everyone who actually got it to end on time.  I really liked Conan's opening bits, both pre-taped and live.  Overall I thought he did a great job of hosting.  Dick Clark's appearance was nice.  The original Charlie's Angels tribute to Aaron Spelling was lovely.  And I enjoyed the bit with Bob Hope.  I hope that doesn't give anything away.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2006, 09:06:38 PM »

I've spend the past few days recovering from a cold and as a result have spent many hours on the couch watching movies.  I ordered Hoodwinked and The Matador on demand.  Hoodwinked was a funny and smart animated film retelling the story of Little Red Riding Hood from different perspectives.  The Matador starred Pierce Brosnan as an aging hitman who gets involved with Greg Kinnear playing an everyman kind of role.  It was somewhat enjoyable, I didn't dislike it but didn't quite get the point of it all.  It was on the verge of something, what I don't know, but it didn't quite do it for me.

Today on the WE network, I watched the second half of the Jennifer Love Hewitt Audrey Hepburn tv movie from a few years ago, it was passable.  I also watched A Bunny's Tale, an old tv movie about Gloria Steinem's undercover work as a Playboy bunny in the 60's.  I found it very entertaining and it starred Kirstie Alley with a lot of other notable actresses in supporting roles- Joanna Kerns, Delta Burke, and Lela Rochon.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »

MattH, as I said, performances and individuals scenes were fine, but they keep promising events that they simply do not deliver and I felt like I've been strung along all summer without a real pay-off or denouement.  If it's true that they've cancelled it and will end it all with just two two hour movies, I can see why.  Viewers will get bored if you do not deliver on expectations.  They'll feel jerked around.  Tonight's episode, like most this season, ended with a whimper not a bang and with no promise of a pay-off next week.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up