Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAME IS AFOOT  (Read 26228 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE GAME IS AFOOT
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2003, 11:46:12 AM »

Complete addys like that never loop. They need a line to themselves. (I think it's the addys in #74 that caused the widescreen effect, but I could be wrong.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2003, 11:47:47 AM »

Ron, if we are going to list what we need…

I NEED MORE TIME.   :o (where is the screaming face?)

It is already December.  Due to all the stuff going on with my family I missed most of the summer and fall.  Now I think I will most of the holiday season.  I usually have my cards ready to mail by now.  Last year I was late, this year they just might not make it at all.  Do they make New Years cards?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2003, 11:53:42 AM »

all fixed, thanks DR Jennifer.  Yes, that book sounds interesting, I remember when we were talking about it.

DRCharlesPogue - did you ever get your issue of Scarlet Street?  ???
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 11:55:08 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2003, 12:01:44 PM »

Since everyone else is still listing their choices for hotels in New York, I will list my favorite, although I already sent my suggestion to Emily.  My favorite place to stay, when I am in New York, is the Milford Plaza.  It is always clean and comfortable, their security people strictly control who goes up to the room floors, and you couldn't ask for a more convenient hotel.  There must be eight Broadway theaters within half a block of the hotel.  And the employees are usually very friendly. (Don't go there, Ozzie!)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2003, 12:04:40 PM »

What a nice day it is outside here in Richmond.  The sky has been going back and forth between really cloudy and gray, and now partly cloudy and nicely blue.  And the temp feels like Fall- even though we're almost to winter.

Good trip to the bank - hopefully, I'll never have to make a bad trip to the bank - and a nice impromptu grocery store run.  Picked up some lunch - a nice rotisserie turkey panini on olive bread, and some pea salad - as well as some mini-chocolate chips (on sale), and some Oreos (almost 1/2 price!).  Oh, and a nice chocolate almond bar.   ;D

Now to do something today... or not... I should do some cleaning up around the apartment.  My roomie started setting up the Christmas stuff over the weekend.  Unfortunately, he failed to clean the dust and other stuff off the places where he decorated.  So... I may be doing some redecorating this afternoon.  Or I may just leave it all in place since it's all "hidden" right now - and I really won't be here during the holiday season... But it's the fact that I know it's there...  Ah, well...

As for the Hotel Edison - It's nice.  I always make a point to walk through the lobby at least once when I'm in NYC.  Just brings back lots of happy memories from high school.  And I usually end up having breakfast or a quick pre-theatre dinner there with all the gypsies and assorted theatre folk.

Maya - I never got the see the Alma Mahler movie - just read all the blurbs about it.  I don't think it stayed long enough in DC for me to catch it between shows.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2003, 12:05:03 PM »

I was thinking about the MP as well.  I stayed there once, and I don't think I had to take a cab to any theatre I wanted to go to!

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2003, 12:07:32 PM »

Complete addys like that never loop. They need a line to themselves. (I think it's the addys in #74 that caused the widescreen effect, but I could be wrong.)

It was the address I posted for the Drama Shop.

So if I wanted to post the whole link, how would I do it so as not to affect the board? I have never had that happen before when posting a link.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2003, 12:08:58 PM »

I have stayed at the Milford Plaza quite a few times in my life, too, but not lately. Their lobby is so small, and when you're waiting on people to meet you, there often isn't a place to sit. But the rooms are comparable to the Edison, I think, about the same size. The security feature is nice, I have to admit.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2003, 12:09:40 PM »

DR MAttH:  Yes, please.

That piece of sheet music is one of my treasures and it's in near-mint condition.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2003, 12:11:16 PM »

Isn't it about time DR Tom from Oz was up having his morning meusli or Vegemite?

Tom? Tom?  Aren't you up yet?

How's Colin today?  

« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 04:33:31 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2003, 12:11:18 PM »

I have stayed at the Milford too. For some reason I like the Days and Best Western and Howard Johnson's better.

But I"m not sure if these are above DR Emily's price range.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2003, 12:15:12 PM »

Here's the piece of sheet music DR Ron was talking about. It does look wonderful.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2003, 12:18:12 PM »

JRand 53...I bought a couple of the latest issue of Scarlet Street, but have not received any.

Well, today's topic is one that warms my heart.  Favourite sleuths:

I'd have to start with Sherlock who has not only given me lots of reading pleasure, but has been an inordinate boost to my career what with having written three Sherlock movies and a Sherlock Holmes play.

I think Young Sherlock a flatulent piece of crap, that wreaks havoc on the mythos of the Holmes canon.  Terrible movie.

I love Nick and Nora, both its literary source and the resulting films.

Ditto for Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade.  I also like the haughty, arch Mr. Philo Vance of the books. Ed and Am Hunter by Fredric Brown are fun as is any mystery by Fredric Brown.  Elvis Cole by Bob Crais and Harry Stoner, a Cincinnati detective, by Jonathan Valin are favs. Paul Pine by Howard Browne (originally published in the fifties under his pseudonym, John Evans).

I also fancy historical detectives:  Nicholas Bracewell, company mananger of an Elizabethan acting troup, by Edward Marston, and Roman detectives, Marcus Didius Falco by Lindsey Davis, and Gordianus the Finder by Steven Saylor.

And let us not forget Stuart Kaminsky's wonderful Toby Peters, Hollywood sleuth in the thirties and forties whose cases always revolve around a major Hollywood Star of the period.

And though not pure detectives, I always enjoy Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie's efforts in unraveling the inscrutable mysterious  machinations of Fu Manchu (by Sax Rohmer).   Along similar lines Jules De Grandin and Dr. Trowbridge uncover occult mysteries written by Seabury quinn, mostly for Weird Tales Magazine.

I am enjoying all the Warner Bros. detectives....Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, & Surfside Six...that are currently being revived on the Good Times Network.

And there's the PBS mystery stuff with Tommy and Tuppence and Lord Peter Whimsey.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2003, 12:19:05 PM »

Isn't it about time DR Tom from Oz was up having his morning muesli or Vegemite?

Tom? Tom?  Aren't you up yet?

Ron, let's hope he has finished his Vegemite before he signs on to HHW.  The thought of it is enough to make me sick.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2003, 12:19:11 PM »

What a beautiful piece of music...Oh my....the things you can see at HHW...things you don't even know existed!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2003, 12:19:36 PM »

Jennifer
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I couldn't even find it on Amazon.  Since I'm going to DBS tonight hopefully I can pick it up.

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2003, 12:22:55 PM »

Of course, you can always hang The King on your tree for that true Christmas spirit.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2003, 12:23:31 PM »

DR WEL - I forget the publication date for EVER AFTER....but it might not be available quite yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2003, 12:24:46 PM »

Remember that we talked about this famous detective several weeks ago? Here she is in the flesh!    :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2003, 12:29:38 PM »

Ron, let's hope he has finished his Vegemite before he signs on to HHW.  The thought of it is enough to make me sick.

Plain it is rather gross, but it does add a nice flavoring to vegetarian dishes.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2003, 12:32:19 PM »

Off to a not so nice trip to the bank.  Seems someone stole our debit, visa card info and was having a good time in Italy with it.  We are going to get an ATM only card now.  

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2003, 12:34:28 PM »

And a pic of my TV favorite I mentioned earlier this morning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2003, 12:46:37 PM »

Sorry to hear that DR Jane.  I hope everything eventually works itself out in your favor.

One of my credit card numbers was "hijacked" a few years ago.  Luckily, the limit on it was low, and the charges never got run through.  The crook was trying to charge almost $400 of liquor at a store in Brooklyn.  Thankfully, my credit card company knew I would never buy $400 of liquor anywhere.

And back to NYC hotels...  I've stayed at the Milford Plaza too.  Just remember, when they say it's a "small" room - they mean small - I think my door hit the bed when I opened it!
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2003, 12:47:35 PM »

I saw THE LAST SAMURAI yesterday.  While it moves along predictable lines, I enjoyed it well enough while watching it.

seaclifr

• "I always think there's a band, kid"
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2003, 12:55:45 PM »

Hi all!

Growing up it was the Hardy Boys - both the books (which I devoured) and a TV mini-series (?) that was a part of one of the Disney kids shows.  Never got into Sherlock Holmes (although a good friend of mine really studies the minutae).  Occasionally watched "Murder She Wrote" and "Columbo", but now I enjoy "Law & Order".

Quick note - Port Singers of Port Washington NY will be presenting an Irving Berlin revue mid-January.  Anyone interested, please email me off line.  Thanks!

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2003, 01:05:04 PM »

Oh golly Jane. That happened to me with my visa card number. My bank called me to find out if I was going on a shopping spree in South Korea! Thankfully I wasn't responsible for the $4000 credit card bill that was the result! Whew!

And it all started with sending an order for something in New York via the USPS. It wasn't even an internet theft!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2003, 01:14:16 PM »

DR MattH:  You know what's amazing to me?

That photo of Jim Hutton looks like Eric Stoltz!

That's amazing.

And thanks for posting my image!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2003, 01:15:34 PM »

I am not the detective fan in the family.  That's the role the most literate der Brucer plays.  I've lost track of the hours he's spent watching reruns of Murder She Wrote and Diagnosis Murder, he's got the bug so bad.

In book form, he's of course recommending Nero Wolfe and Kinsey Millhone.  Christie's Tommy and Tuppence Beresford rank high on his list.  A few that some people might not have heard of are:

The Roma Sub Rosa stories by Steven Saylor, featuring his detective Gordianus the Finder, all set in Ancient Rome.

The Monsieur Pamplemousse stories by Michael Bond, who also created Paddington Bear.  (Der Brucer discovered these stories while we were at a reading of excerpts from Benjamin Kritzer by BK at the Bookfellows Bookstore in Glendale, CA.  Consider yourself labled guilty, BK!)

And, if you care for a gay detective, there's the Dave Brandstetter stories, by Joseph Hansen.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2003, 01:21:13 PM »

I, too, love "The Thin Man" movies and have the laserdisc set of them.  

I was also very fond of the TV series with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk.  I understand there were 70 episodes of this show, and they should all be in the MGM vaults somewhere decomposing as we sit and peruse this forum.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 01:22:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up