Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OBSERVATIONS  (Read 10165 times)

Jennifer

Re: OBSERVATIONS
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »

DR Jane if you start reading ALONE you will want to read HIDE and THE NEIGHBOR right away. I know I am anxious to read LIVE TO TELL.

I forget if I mentioned this, but I took out 3 books from her FBI PROFILER series (books 2, 3 4,). Our library does not own book 1.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »

OK - our dinner menu tonight includes baked potatoes.  Any suggestions for low sodium/low fat/low cholesterol toppings?

Woody often serves herb encrusted oven roasted potatoes instead (potatos quarters or eights, depending on size - leave the skin on the red ones), dust with your choce of herbs, sprinkle with oil oil and oven roast.

der Brucer

This is how i usually eat my potatoes as well.

I should do this more often.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »

TOD

We live in an unincorporated area of Sussex County (entire county has a population  about equal to Burbank CA; the entire state has a population (900,000) less than most major cities

Rehoboth Beach, itself, is an 1.25 square mile incorporated beach community of  about 2000 permanent residents. In summer, the city population swells to about 25,000 – and last Fourth of July the beach/boardwalk had an estimated 100,000 viewing the fireworks.

The city proper has a couple of dozen nice owner-operated full-service restaurants, some with near-celebrity status chefs

The entire area has only one motion picture theater -but it is a 14 screen (about half are 3D) multiplex which shows the latest film releases (weekend block busters openers get a special Thursday evening midnight preview). Tickets are $7.50 matinee, $10.00 evening. The theatres are spotlessly clean, the staff friendly and attentive, the patrons well-behaved. I suspect the fact that the complex draws viewers from all over the area holds down the type of gang-related peer pressure we find in many urban areas.

The download/boardwalk area is a very pedestrian friendly (but you do have to pay up to $1.50/hour to park – meters are universal (they are the cities major source of income).

The area has a few very active little theatre groups and a couple of popular cabaret-type venues and a downtown church was recently converted to an arts center, including a good sized auditorium that hosts children theatre and a variety of direct-from-vegas acts like:

The downtown is filled with lots of specialty stores and art galleries; the highway is lined with one of the east coasts largest Outlet Malls (and no sales tax!). We have a major craft brewery, a local winery, and we host a majestic tall-ship.

The area lacks for two things – no major bookseller, and no major electronic store outlet (we have to make do with WalMart).

The area does have its downside – as a major tourist location we suffer through humongous traffic jams at certain times and do have to learn to tolerate some pretty rude visitors at time. Unfortunately, there is only one thoroughfare – and it does double duty as a major six-lane highway and the only road through town. It is a major choke point – god help us if we ever have to do a major evacuation – there are only  four ways off the entire Delmarva peninsula – and two of them to the south (The Chesapeake Bay Bridge – to Annapolis, Baltimore, Wash), and the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel – to Norfolk) are both subject to closure in heavy weather, so that leaves only two exits left, one to the west and one to the north.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »

DR Jane if you start reading ALONE you will want to read HIDE and THE NEIGHBOR right away. I know I am anxious to read LIVE TO TELL.

I forget if I mentioned this, but I took out 3 books from her FBI PROFILER series (books 2, 3 4,). Our library does not own book 1.

Then I will read the other book first.  I still haven't decided on a book for my discussion.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »

So far Ashland has kept out parking meters.  I hope it stays that way.

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »

Then I will read the other book first.  I still haven't decided on a book for my discussion.

Although it depends if you want a fast read. Sometimes it's good to read a book that you know will be easy to read.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »

Before you know it you will be walking around the entire house, inside and out.

And I suspect she'll feel well enough to clean out the gutters come fall.

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

Hmm, wha, oh, sorry...stepped away to have dinner and then nodded off a bit.

Anyway - great suggestions for baked potato toppings.  On hand we had some spray-on I Can't Believe It's Not Butter that I'd bought for popcorn.  That and some dill weed did just fine.  We broiled our salmon, steamed some peas, and it was great!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »

I just got SHUTTER ISLAND from the library. I had no idea that the ending was so controversial (I typed in SHUTTER ISLAND ending).  Apparently Leo says a line at the end that is different from the book.

The real issue is "at the closing scene, what does the token tell us?"

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »

Ha, ha, DR Dan (the Man) - *that* aspect of the treatment reminded me so much of post-childbirth it wasn't even funny.  I had lines in both legs, but they only used one.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2010, 06:32:35 PM »

My book went to the printer today.

I'm told that we will have copies in a week or two.
You can dream…or you can do.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

We broiled our salmon,

For a really flavorful twist, Woody glazes the salmon with an orange marmalade mixed with soy sauce and fresh grated ginger mixture.

der Brucer

I you want some kick - throw in a dash of Sriracha sauce

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

DR der Brucer - I'm going to have to start keeping your suggestions.  That glaze sounds great!

DR Laura's oatmeal recipe is on the list, too!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:37:10 PM by Ginny »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »

DR der Brucer - I'm going to have to start keeping your suggestions.  That glaze sounds great!

DR Laura's oatmeal recipe is on the list, too!

Woody has some other nifty heart-healthy starch sides:

Buckwheat/Zucchini cakes

Savory Oatmeal (oatmeal with soy sauce and green onions)

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »

DR Elmore - good news from the dental clinic.  That problem had me concerned.

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »

When I was little, my mom and I used to listen to a radio show called Don McNeil's Breakfast Club, during which he did a "March Around the Breakfast Table" segment.  I just did my first 5 minutes of cardio rehab, marching an ellipse around our breakfast AND dining room tables.

Yeah, DR Jane, 6 minutes tomorrow and I should be up to 10 by the weekend!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »

Do you have a wrist heart-rate monitor?

der Brucer

Michael

« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »

Loved the "Hidden Track" on Promises, Promises. Wasn't what I was expecting, but maybe I should have when I read the Liner notes.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »

And oh yes on this cast album Promises, Promises end with a "Button" instead of fading out like it does with the Broadway album. I like it better London version better.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »

Do you have a wrist heart-rate monitor?

der Brucer

Not yet, DR der Brucer, but I suspect I'll get lots o' stuff when I start Phase 2 in a couple of weeks.  I spent quite a bit of time on the phone this afternoon with Judy from there and she makes it sound like a great program.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »

Well, time to catch up with THE CLOSER

I've enjoyed out time together, thank you very much.

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »

I'm outta here, too - kinda tired tonight...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »

I'm outta here, too - kinda tired tonight...

No square dancing for you, then...not tonight!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »

Back from a mile and a half jog.  I think I'm finally done for the day - I had to upload the five bonus tracks for our next release - at least those make it totally unique and different from the previous CD release.  Can't improve the sound all that much, due to the limitations of the tape source.

Laura

« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »

That, and the embarassment of having to show off my crotchal area to so many strangers...

You have obviously never given birth.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »

Loved the "Hidden Track" on Promises, Promises. Wasn't what I was expecting, but maybe I should have when I read the Liner notes.

I just finished the CD and I love the hidden track, also!

But was that taken from the 2002 recording or the 1968 recording?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:22:28 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »

I am now the proud owner of a Home Composting Unit and am ready for the FUN to begin!!!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »

When I was little, my mom and I used to listen to a radio show called Don McNeil's Breakfast Club, during which he did a "March Around the Breakfast Table" segment.  I just did my first 5 minutes of cardio rehab, marching an ellipse around our breakfast AND dining room tables.

I find it interesting you have a time schedule.  Obviously you aren't to do to much too quickly.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »

That, and the embarassment of having to show off my crotchal area to so many strangers...

You have obviously never given birth.

;D  Ginny, now you.  I must admit the thought didn't enter my head until the reminders.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

I have a crazy week ahead, especially tomorrow.  I'll try & pop in, if nothing else to see how DR Ginny is recovering.  If I don't stop by, don't worry.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up