Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CROOKED NOTES  (Read 15870 times)

François de Paris

Re:CROOKED NOTES
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2004, 06:05:53 PM »

I believe Barbara had A LOT of "rehearsal time" for that movie role -- Funny Girl --  ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2004, 06:07:21 PM »

New page!

Let's do the "Crooked Notes" dance!!

François de Paris

« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2004, 06:12:31 PM »

Has anybody seen that wonderfully moving Miramax produced film: Il Postino (The Postman)?...

Has Anybody Seen My Ship? --Ooops! Don't mind me!

I believe (again!) that movies were created to produce movies like this one!

-- Not new, I know but saw it on TV during my vacation! --

François de Paris

« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2004, 06:16:56 PM »

Panni,

You look like you could be in the cast of A Little Night Music!

-- make that FOLLIES!..... to fit the song selection!!

Hmmmm.... what would you be singing?

How Could I Leave You?

In BK's Eyes?

I'm Just A Screenwriter, Baby! ?

I'm Still Here!

Going Out Of My Script!

Ah, Ah, Panni!

Your choice!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 06:20:46 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2004, 06:21:32 PM »

Am I having a good time or what?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2004, 06:36:15 PM »

DR PANNI lovely photo and DRSANDRA....it is just like being there!!!

I think tonight we should have life lesson's night.  We have such a variation of experience among the habitues (and sons of habitues) at HHW, that each of us should tell something we have learned to perhaps help another NOT make the same mistake.

Okay, I will start.  I am a gymnast and a dancer and taught both disciplines.  

NEVER NEVER NEVER spot a teen age girl learning a back handspring when she is wearing a tube top!!!   ;D

Now you know.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2004, 06:46:15 PM »

BK:  The ball sequence is  too incredible.  So many details, including a rest room wih dozens of ceramic "pots" set out to accommodate the hundreds of guests.  It's a film that delights all the senses, too.  You see not only the splendors of a bygone way of life, but you get a full whiff of the discomforts people endured to be fashionable.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2004, 06:48:10 PM »

OK, Jrand 53!

NEVER believe that, because it's printed in the Papers, it has to be the truth!

NEVER tell a friend

"Please, keep it to yourself and don't tell anyone!"

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2004, 06:50:39 PM »

Jrand53:

Excuse my being French but do you mean:

Never never never spot....

or

Never never never stop?....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2004, 06:54:48 PM »

DR FRANCOIS - to SPOT someone who is learning a backflip - you must hold onto that person's clothing.  A tube top sometimes does not do the backflip its wearer does!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2004, 06:57:55 PM »

Here is DRPANNI all photoimpressioned!!   8)

François de Paris

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2004, 07:04:19 PM »

The "The Leopard" ball sequence was filmed in a real Mansion owned by some wealthy Italian businessman whose wife is.... French and sees to the refurbishing of the place...

They're having all the window shades redone; the two artists doing the job -- husband and wife -- have been working at that for 3 years now and may take two more years to complete the restoration.

That's one of the few very informative programs I saw on TV during my recent holiday!

François de Paris

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2004, 07:06:40 PM »

Jrand53,

Thanks! I knew what you meant but ignored the expression....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2004, 07:07:50 PM »

LOL....quelle frommage!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2004, 07:10:47 PM »

AS you can tell, I don't have a show to do tonight LOL.

François de Paris

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2004, 07:21:27 PM »

Artistic liberty?

Quel fromage!

Don't ask me why, but fromage is "masculine" in French....

BUT...... you're doing a show RIGHT here, me dear!

--- standing ovation! ---

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2004, 07:46:11 PM »

Tomovoz I’m surprised you find it difficult to buy loose tea, especially Twinings.  I just like sugar in my tea, and like you I do not care for tea bags.  Half the fun of tea is making it.  I do travel with tea bags.

My favorite beverage is water.  I also like white wine.  I don’t think I’m up to discussing the hard liquor I like.

Sandra drinks something besides cherry coke 

We have a storm brewing.  The wind is blowing the trees and I can hear thunder.

Bruce, nice review.  I hope it sell lots of books.

JRand I was a big fan of DUE SOUTH.

Ben we lived across the street from one of the Vernor family homes.  I kept getting promised a tour of the house but it never happened.  It was a beautiful home.

Michael Shayne have a very nice birthday celebration with your father.

Sandra and Panni, cute pictures.

That’s all.  I’m going back to bed.  Goodnight.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2004, 07:49:28 PM »

Good Afternoon/Evening!

Yeah!  I got my hair cut!  Well, technically I went to get a haircut, but I got my hairs cut...

I had heard about this place from various people, and had seen blurbs about it too on the web and in various magazines - Rudy's Barber.  It's part of chain that started in Seattle.  It's right on Sunset, just near where Sunset and Hollywood intersect.  It's in an old warehouse/garage type space - very open.  You just walk in, leave your name at the desk, and wait for your name to be called.

When I checked in, the "receptionist" said that "technically" there was a two hour wait for a cut - Rudy's is apparently a very "in" place - but that since a lot of people weren't waiting inside, that I would most likely get seen by someone in about 30 minutes.  So, I decided to wait.  And about five minutes later, I heard my name called! :)

Dominique cut hair, and she was kind of amazed at how easy it was to cut my hair - I just need a standard clipper cut - 2 on the sides, 4 on the top.  My hair is very straight, and it basically sticks straight out of my head, so it's very easy to clipper cut it with the guides.  -And it's also very easy to see any spots that you may have missed.  So, after getting shampooed after my cut - I just like getting all the "chaff" washed out, I was out of there about 15 minutes and $15 dollars later.  Not bad at all.

They had a nice display of indie mags and some funky clothes too.  As well as a big display table of flyers for various events around town.  I'll be sure to drop off a stack of What If? postcards there once we get them.

Oh, and I got a nice cut too!  Not too many "strays" which is usually the case with my hair - sometimes a couple of my hairs are "sleeping" during the cut. ;)  And I definitely feel cooler in the heat - and it's also nice to feel the wind on my scalp again.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2004, 07:56:33 PM »

DRJOSE is becoming one of the West Coast In Crowd!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2004, 08:03:47 PM »

After getting my hairs cut, I decided to walk around the neighborhood a little bit and so some exploring.

I went a few blocks down Sunset, then turned around once I realized there really was nothing around the bend - at least nothing worth checking out.  Then I made a brief pass through Circuit City just to scout out some things.  Then it was over to Von's.. Which I then realized was/is/used to be/?? as Safeway - at least there were many Safeway brand items on the shelves...

OOHH!!!

And I'm pretty sure I saw Canada Dry Ginger Ale on the shelves there.  The next time I head back there, I'll double check just to make sure.

Then it was over to Rite Aid...

Then over to Jon's... I didn't walk in, just by it... Now, did Jon's take over the Winn-Dixie chain out here?  Some of the signage looked the same.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2004, 08:07:56 PM »

Eventually, I made my way back over to Hillhurst, and I decided to check out this Filipino place I had noticed on the walk down.  The signage on the building said it was the Philipine Art & Commerce Center.  But once I walked in, it was a nice Filipino store, Tatak Pilipino.  Apparently, it's part of a national chain.  -Who knows, maybe there are offices there for the Art & Commerce Center, but I didn't notice any.

They had the usual selection of Filipino knick-knacks and religious items - which, unfortunately, are traditionally on the tacky side.  They also had cookwares, plates, clothing, and a small selection of Filipino snack foods - I really had to resist stocking up on dried mango and caramelized pili nuts.  I was hoping to come across some Filipino pastries/baked goods, but they didn't seem to carry any - I should have asked if there was a store nearby.

The top floor of the place was filled with DVDs, CDs and karaoke supplies.  The selection was quite nice, and I may have to go back and pick up some of Lea Salonga's CDs - they were only $11.99 there compared to the usual $20.00 and up I see them at elsewhere.  There were a few more CDs from various Filipino Broadway babies - Paola Montaban, etc... However, I didn't see Jose Llana's new CD.  In any case...

Along one wall upstairs was a selection of books.  Childrens books, art books, dictionaries, and cookbooks.  The selection of cookbooks was quite nice, and I'll definitely have to browse some more later and pick up one or two.

There was actually quite a nice bunch of people shopping, and the staff seemed really helpful too.  I've never really been into investigating my cultural background (I know, shame on me), but it did feel a bit "homey" being in there for a couple of minutes.  I'll definitely be making a return trip or two there - I have a feeling I'll be able to find some nice gifts for my parents, and some childrens books for my nieces and nephews.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2004, 08:10:37 PM »

And for Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale in general... I know it's available in Richmond at my local supermarket since that's what I usually buy.  -I also like their Cranberry(?) Ginger Ale - or is it Cherry?.. well, it's some pink fruit.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2004, 08:14:44 PM »

Hmmmm... Just realized that I haven't heard back from my brother or cousin... hmmm...

Ah, well... A nice quiet evening at "home" watching "Trading Spaces" does have it's charm and appeal too.

Of course, there's always PIE too!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2004, 08:17:20 PM »

RE: Rambutan - I usually see it - and order it - at Thai restaurants.  Then come canned in syrup - like lychees do - and they sort of taste like lychees - and look like lychees.  I've also had them mixed into custards too.  I've never had fresh ones - but if they are anything like fresh lychees, I'm pretty sure I like them.  Otherwise, the canned ones are pretty good.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2004, 08:20:10 PM »

A questions for the Los Angelenos, Los Feliz habitues and/or anyone else who may know....

What "language" is it I'm seeing on some of the store fronts in the area.  I noticed a sign for "Little Armenia" posted on Sunset and Vermont.  Does Armenia use a Cyrillic type alphabet?  The script is very fancy, and I just can't tell what it is.  Anyone?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2004, 08:20:45 PM »

I feel as though I have just been shopping...and I haven't left my chair.

Thanks DRJOSE!  And are you learning those dances as well?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2004, 08:22:34 PM »

And this now brings to a close my portion of "I Am My Own Frenzy" for this portion of the evening...  Time to get some dinner...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »

As for learning the dances...

I've actually been a dance captain for two shows before.  Mainly because I was the only one who had actually sat through all the dance rehearsals, and could see everyone.

I can never remember the french terms and such, but I have at times had to demonstrate - or approximate - the moves for people.

So...  I'm learning them in my head.  *I'm one of the few pianists who actually likes playing for dance rehearsals.  Yes, they can get tedious at times, but it's fun watching them being put together.  -And if there happens to be some nice eye candy... well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2004, 08:27:10 PM »

I know I love dance rehearsals, too.  And I remember that you talked about being the Dance Captain before....so be ready to step in!

DRJOSE are you "in the pit" or "onstage"?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2004, 08:31:45 PM »

and tthat will end my frenzy as well
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up