Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HINDSIGHT IS TWENTY TWENTY  (Read 53563 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:HINDSIGHT IS TWENTY TWENTY
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »

Sorry, DerBrucer, but no diligent, serious jury could have come back with their verdict as quickly as they did.  Even if they discounted the evidence you say there was reasonable doubt about, there was tons more blood evidence as well as other evidence that could not be disputed or doubted.  The cavalier, quick way in which they reached their decision left no doubt that they were either prejudice in favour of the defendant or just plain stupid or, worse, just didn't give a damn about performing their obligation properly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »

SPOILER ALERT - if you haven't read Kritzer Time, skip this post!

Another real-life crime that has haunted me all these years, is the still-unsolved murder which consumes the final third of Kritzer Time.  James Ellroy did a GQ article about it some years ago, but it was, you know, as per usual with Mr. Ellroy, all about him, and I found it a bit off-putting that his discovery of the event and case became a topic du jour with him.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »

Had an e-mail from Juliana's mother, who passed along some interesting details about the experience her daughter is having.  Juliana isn't allowed to have much contact with anyone - no computer allowed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »

I still haven't started addressing packages.  I'm still sitting here like so much fish in my sleeping attire.  I'm still groggy even though it is almost eleven.  Well, I must address the addressing and I must address the dressing and I must write some pages.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2007, 11:05:15 AM »

I am also not a fan of Hollywoodland. I do agree a great movie could have been done on the topic but the movie failed miserably. Unfortunately  future movies on the topic will be measured against this one.  Sadly that is one of  two topics that come to mind that will never have great movies done about them: The Black Dahlia and now George Reeves.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 11:57:18 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »

I was going to post something but by the time I caught up with all of the posts from the last few hours I had forgotten what I wanted to say.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »

Did anyone pick up the new DVD release of A SUMMER PLACE this week?

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »

Argh. I can't beleive this is all happening because I wanted to play ONE SONG that someone else downloaded from itunes.

They have ways of making you pay for your music...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2007, 11:18:54 AM »

Sadly that is two topics that come to mind that will never have great movies done about them: The Black Dahlia and now George Reeves.

Probably not...but there have been excellent TV documentaries on both topics...either on Lifetime or A&E or Discovery (I can't recall which channel did the shows).

E
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »

Sorry, DerBrucer, but no diligent, serious jury could have come back with their verdict as quickly as they did.  Even if they discounted the evidence you say there was reasonable doubt about, there was tons more blood evidence as well as other evidence that could not be disputed or doubted.  The cavalier, quick way in which they reached their decision left no doubt that they were either prejudice in favour of the defendant or just plain stupid or, worse, just didn't give a damn about performing their obligation properly.

You miss my point - the jury was pre-disposed to disbelieve the state! If, by the time the Jury got the case, a majority of the jurors felt in their hearts that the "system" was living up to their perceptions that "the man" is out to "get us", the speed of the verdict is understandable. Consider also that much of the blood evidence was difficult to covey to semi-illiterate people suspicious of "book learned" experts. The jury spent three hours formalizing a verdict that they had six months to formulate.

A jury of peers in this day and age will be tilted to the "left" on a "reasoning power" scale. (The people you think are smart enough to serve on a jury are smart enough to avoid the job.)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2007, 11:43:08 AM »

TOTD:

Romanovs
Black Dahlia
Ted Bundy

Local ones of curiousity here:
Dru Sjodin
Gordon Kahl incident... There was even a song written about that one

Semi-local:
Joseph Duncan case in Idaho. He used to live for a bit of time in Fargo and it was alledged that he molested two boys in nearby Detroit Lakes, MN.  He was also a student at NDSU and he used to come to the library regularly.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »

DR CP, i have also found the murder of the princes in the tower rather fascinating also.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2007, 11:47:42 AM »

Finally heard back from the nasty e-mail recipient, who apologized for her behavior on the phone the other day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2007, 11:48:29 AM »

I haven't quite finished addressing things yet, but it was too cold out there and I had to take a break.  I'll finish up shortly - only a couple more envelopes to do and then a few boxes.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »

- only a couple more envelopes to do and then a few boxes.

There's more to do - I just ordered Brain!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »

Finally heard back from the nasty e-mail recipient, who apologized for her behavior on the phone the other day.

Are you in a forgiving mood?

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »

DR CP,

Are you familiar with "Jack the Ripper - case closed" by Patricia Cornwell?

I have looked at the following and found it curious. It is called Jack the Ripper/ an encyclopedia by John Eddleston.

BTW, thanks for writing Dragonheart, I have been enjoying that book again. I have not read it for years and picked it up again.

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2007, 11:52:32 AM »

I have two shelves of books...one on the Jack the Ripper murders and one on who killed the Princes in the Tower (I don't think Richard III did it).  I like these two famous crimes because they are still essentially unsolved.  

I find the Princes in the Tower fascinating, too. I have read a couple books on it.  What are your favorites?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »

DerBrucer, did you know there is a play called "Bad Seed"?

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »

Of course for my job I get into the details of all my cases. Some are interesting, some not so interesting but there is only one that never goes away. Wow, it was almost 10 years ago now. 10 people, including 4 juveniles, were charged with kidnapping a 15 year old drug dealer, driving him out into the country, beating him, putting him in a trunk and then taking him to an abandoned farm house were he was killed.  I represented one of the people who was there when he was shot.  

This happened in my home town and the two kids who were "good kids" were there when the kid was killed, went back to town, met some other friends at Subway ate a sandwich and then went to an amusement park the next day.  How could you do that?

Anyway, the dynamics of the situation, the relationships between the players, the way things snowballed out of control and then the cover up of the crime still fascinate me.  If I ever write about one of my cases, this will be it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2007, 11:59:18 AM »

Probably not...but there have been excellent TV documentaries on both topics...either on Lifetime or A&E or Discovery (I can't recall which channel did the shows).

E

Ron, I do recall one being done on A&E that was very well done on the Black Dahlia but at the moment the name of the documentary escapes me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »

I was totally in to the OJ case. I met Barry Scheck for the first time shortly before the trial and was very interested in the way the evidence was presented. The defense didn't win that case, the prosecution lost it.  They had the evidence, but they let irrelevant nonsense occupy days on end. Also Marcia Clark ignored her jury consultants advice and said she wanted black women on her jury because black women like her. That move right there was enough to lose the case.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2007, 12:01:57 PM »

I'll be forgiving depending on the Colony's availability and rate for a release party.

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »

jhvw could use some vibes....he can't get on the computer much at all right now, but things are a little tough for him.  If he wants to say more, I'll let him.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2007, 12:06:27 PM »

What every condo needs!

George...

Pimped Out Toilet
Ohio-based Roto-Rooter says its "Pimped Out John" is designed to "fulfill all your wildest bathroom dreams." Special features include an iPod music player and speakers, an Xbox video game console, a refrigerator filled with drinks and snacks and a cycling exercise machine.

"The bathroom is the perfect place for your very own throne. It shouldn't always be regarded as the room of last resort," said Steven Pollyea, Roto-Rooter vice president of marketing, in a press release emailed to Reuters.

"The average person spends 11,862 hours in the bathroom, which equals one year, four months and five days in a lifetime... a toilet should be the most wonderful location in your home."

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

I will say that there is a chance that we may, at some point, be regularly posting on HHW from the same house....mine.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2007, 12:07:19 PM »

What every condo needs!

George...

Pimped Out Toiletder Brucer

Hey Der B! How did you get a photo of my new office???

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2007, 12:12:01 PM »

I hope things work out for jhvw... Vibes are sent his way!!

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »

Vibes for DR jhvw!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:16:51 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »

DerBrucer, did you know there is a play called "Bad Seed"?

Yes, written by Maxwell Anderson, based on a book by William March.

It starred Patricia McCormack and Nancy Kelly.

They went on to star in the film directed by Mervyn LeRoy (1956).

der Brucer

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up