Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISAPPEARING TOES  (Read 17302 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DISAPPEARING TOES
« on: October 27, 2004, 11:59:30 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're pondering the secret of The Disappearing Toes, you're ready to make with the magic, so now it is time for you to post until the disappearing cows and their disappearing toes come home.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 11:59:37 PM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE DISAPPEARING TOES
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 12:19:06 AM »

In today's notes, BK wrote:

Marcy has quite a lot of marketing experience, having worked for Random House, Warner Books, and Disney’s publishing arm.

In other words, BK, she put the hype in Hyperion?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 12:38:51 AM »

Here'a my trick: I'm going to disappear from the City of Studio for two weeks. I'm almost all packed. Tomorrow very early Abie goes to his doggie hotel, then I get my hair trimmed, then I do a few last minute things -- and at one I'm being picked up and off I go to LAX from whence I fly to Amsterdam and from there to Budapest. I arrive in Budapest at 3:15 PM on Oct. 29  - which is around 6 AM here.
In case I don't get a chance to post later - I'll post from DD's computer in Pest. Au Revoir!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 12:39:51 AM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:47:25 AM »

Havew a safe and enjoyable trip, Panni!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 01:14:12 AM »

Just read yesterday's posts and caught the bit of talk of Weill's Down in the Valley...

Personally, I have a great dislike for the show.  However, this is probably due to the fact that my only experience with it is a rather wretched production of it I was in my sophomore year in high school (directed by DR Ann's father, actually... but she agrees that it was horrible).  Maybe the show might be tolerable with a better group of performers, but as I got to know it... blech.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:24:30 AM »

How bizarre... the HHW technogremlins have made me multi-national.  Here in the posts I have a US flag, my member map pin is in the US, yet on the "Who's Online" page, I appear to be Canadian!  I'll really start to wonder when it decides some day that I'm from Moldovia or something.

Hmmm, maybe I should re-learn "O Canada"...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 01:26:44 AM »

I have problems listening to much Weill - major problem was the Vile Weill intepretations by Helen Schnieder. Can't find a home for my Cd anywhere!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 01:27:55 AM »

Employment opportunities in Canada?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 01:38:58 AM »

Magic: I made the mistake of watching one of those "how it is done" shows a few years ago. I should have stayed with not knowing. I think TV is not kind to magic. I'd rather not have known about changing women in to lions or whatever.
Of course "magic" is a "Xanadu" reference.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 01:41:24 AM »

Bon Voyage, DR Panni!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 02:26:13 AM »

Todays Photograph: Rural France
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 03:47:25 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yesterday morning I was up at 5:00 am, this morning 6:00, but I'd prefer 7 or 8 until everything starts healing.  I have an orchestration to work on for Ron Raines, so I'll deal with some of that this morning, listen to an Offenbach piece LES BAVARDS for a director friend, see the surgeon at 2:45, and consider it a full day.

I talked to our DRPennyO last evening.  She's back in LA with her ailing parents for the next 4 days, and she asked me to send you all her regards.  I also spoke to DRJane yesterday, and we were remarking on the peculiarity of three ladies, including DRDanise, whose acquaintance I wasn't even aware of 7 months ago becoming three close and dear friends.  Such is the power of magic at HHW, and I'd call Dear Friend BK the greatest magician living for the amazing things, far beyond the disappearing toes, he's performed.

DRJed, I noticed no techno-glitch, but perhaps this feeling of displacement is some legerdemain of an infernal demon reminding you of your current feelings of being kicked by the cosmos?

TOD: magicians?  Well, the only  major one I recall seeing live is Doug Henning in THE MAGIC SHOW, which I loved for the magic, Anita Morris, and "West End Avenue."  I loved on the Ed Sullivan Show the Banana Man, and occasionally I'll think of him and chuckle.

DRTomovoz, I'm a very ardent Kurt Weill enthusiast, but few contemporary Weill artistes raise any enthusiasm:  Ute Lemper, to paraphrase my late great friend Betty Chapin, seems to think she invented Kurt Weill (I prefer her artistry elsewhere), and others seem to think because of his Brecht associations that he should be snarled, growled, and rudely performed.  Only Teresa Stratas seems to enjoy his melodies and meters, and I love her recordings.  We still need a really good MAHAGONNY, and I wish someone like BK would give us recordings of an unexpurgated complete Blitzstein THREEPENNY OPERA and complete Michael Feingold HAPPY END.  That would be my idea of magic.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 03:58:41 AM »

Interesting poll, over at FoodTV.com.

They're asking what parts of Halloween people like the most.

The options are Candy, Costumes, Parties, Kids, and "I don't like Halloween."

"I don't like Halloween" has racked up 24% of the votes.

And here I thought I was all alone, the way so many people carry on.

Anyone else around here not like Halloween?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 04:05:39 AM »

Currently, "Kids" is leading the poll with 26% of the votes.  I don't mind "I don't like Halloween" coming in second to "Kids."  That ranking is how it should be.

But we need a society for those of us who would Grinch Halloween, make it respectable to not like the holiday.  

Let's face it, the Grinch made it respectable to not like Christmas.  Him and Scrooge.

And no other holidays get such fanatical "You have to celebrate, you have to participate" reactions when you tell the fanatics that you couldn't care less.

Not even St. Valentine's Day.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 04:07:32 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 04:06:57 AM »

Time to get back to bed.  I've got ladsitting to do later, and I've hardly been able to close my eyes.  Bleh.   :-\

Michael

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 04:30:13 AM »

How bizarre... the HHW technogremlins have made me multi-national.  Here in the posts I have a US flag, my member map pin is in the US, yet on the "Who's Online" page, I appear to be Canadian!  I'll really start to wonder when it decides some day that I'm from Moldovia or something.

Hmmm, maybe I should re-learn "O Canada"...

I have to.

Sometime after my move down to the US of A the Canadian government changed the official lyrics. I only remembered the one as a child. (English and French)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 04:35:36 AM »

My favorite illusion has to be metamorphsis. Assistant is shackled, placed in bag, bag is tied and then locked in a trunk. Illusionist steps on trunk. Picks up shower curtain and in a blink of an eye has changed places with assistant in trunk. And with the reveal sometimes, depending on the artist, has also changed costumes.
Never stop dreaming.

beckon

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 04:52:40 AM »

TOD

Magic?

Hmmm...I'm not really a big fan of modern magicians.  I mean the ones who are very "Las Vegasy" in their presentation (i.e. loud pop music, flashing lights, and high-tech razzle-dazzle).  I think David Copperfield popularized this style and I have never cared for him.  I like the old-fashioned magician who walks out in black, does a little schtick, and pulls a live bird out of thin air.

That being said...I remember enjoying Doug Henning's TV specials while growing up in the 70s.  Who knows?  Maybe if I saw them now, I would find them hokey, but I really looked forward to them at the time.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

beckon

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 04:54:40 AM »

Oh! Oh! Oh!

How could I forget?!!??!

Penn and Teller.  I love them.  Very unique and very funny.  I don't think I would ever pay to see a magic show, but if it was P & T... I might consider it.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 05:47:48 AM »

Romper. Stomper, Bomper Boo,
 I see all my friends, and I see you.

I see DR Laura, DR Sandra, td, Ben, Jason, Michael Barnum, Matt, Dan, Jay, of ccourse Bruce.   Ooops, the magic mirror is fading on me--- must be all those clouds in from LA.

For Halloween I'm thinkng of dressing up as Lyn Larsen 1975.  I'll find a pic and send it.  

My favorite magic trick was performed on me by a rather good amateur magician.  Over a glass table top, he made a quarter than was on my hand drop through to the table.  How he got the quarter through my hand,  I will never know, but it wasn't as if he palmed-- the quarter just ent through my hand.  Very impresssive.

Hugs and Kisses to you all.
I like boat races.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 05:47:57 AM »

As my Advanced Song Improv students and I stepped into the night air, we noticed they'd "taken the moon away" (ooh, a Bells Are Ringing reference, and, unsurprisingly, it looked several times weirder than the picture of the "total eclipse of the moon" (ooh, almost a Little Shop of Horrors reference).  Tuesday I shook hands with a guy who habitually makes references like this, Peter Filichia, who'd written such a glowing piece about Our Wedding on TheatreMania.

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5220

I'm sorry to hear that the oft-errant DR Jed has defected to Canada, but, with the rich-favoring and inhumane policies of the American government, it's hard to blame him.  Vote Tuesday, or we'll lose a lot of other fine young men like Jed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 05:53:15 AM »

I have to.

Sometime after my move down to the US of A the Canadian government changed the official lyrics. I only remembered the one as a child. (English and French)

[stream=256,256]http://www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/canpics/ocanadaorgan.mid[/stream]

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

I don't know if that is the "official" bilingual version but it's what we used to have to sing before High School General Assembly. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 05:54:18 AM »

Ooh am I the first Hainsie/Kimlet to insert streaming audio in their post?

BTW - Thank you all for the midterm vibes.  They worked - as they of course ALWAYS do!

:D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2004, 05:56:09 AM »

'Course, then there is always my FAVOURITE anthem: Advance Australia Fair!

[stream=256,256]http://www.hamilton.net.au/advance_piano.mid[/stream]

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing,
"Advance Australia fair!"

Ben

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2004, 05:56:45 AM »

I think you are Miss Emily (the first to insert streaming video). I wondered why my browser said I needed a plug in for this site? That's something that never happened before.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004, 05:57:41 AM »

Money goes through my hands, too, Kerry, and I can't figure out how.  Now you see it, now you don't.

I wonder if any clairvoyant ever said "The curse of the Red Sox will end on a night with no moon."

I was telling students about directorial flourishes in musical theatre history last week.  You know how, when a prop or a bit of a costume accidentally falls on stage, the audience can't take its eyes off of it?  Ruins many a show.  So, imagine my dismay when the departing chorus left a colorful handkerchief center stage.  I mean, that had the potential to ruin everything.  Luckily, one of the chorus boys strode out and, with a bit of a bow, lifted the handkerchief.  Attached to this handkerchief, coming up out of the stage, was an entire Tony Walton set, made entirely of silks, for the next scene.  Nobody saw it coming.  Now that's what I call magic.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004, 05:58:11 AM »

We got magic to do,
Just for you...

My best magic trick is making a quarter cry and then rubbing it into my elbow.  I also know a couple of dandy card tricks.

I'm not crazy about Vegas-style magicians, either.  But I do like David Copperfield.  He has a nice stage persona and his grand acts are usually pretty original. And I don't like David Blaine at all.

I run hot and cold with Penn and Teller.  When they first came on the scene I thought there were astounding with the illusions they would pull and they were funny as hell, to boot.  But then they began getting persnickety and snide in their act, either debunking the magic acts of other magicians or even debunking their own as they performed it.  They just come across as cranky to me anymore and I tend to zone them out when I come across them on TV.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2004, 06:01:15 AM »

Ooh am I the first Hainsie/Kimlet to insert streaming audio in their post?

Emily, you just may have opened a door that--well, Gawd knows what is going to coming through!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 06:21:39 AM »

When Penn & Teller were first starting out they concentrated a lot more on the magic than the comedy and they were wonderful.  Alas, as they became famous the magic began to take second place to the comedy, and I no longer enjoy them nearly as much as I did before the emphasis of their act was changed.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2004, 06:24:18 AM »

I think you are Miss Emily (the first to insert streaming video). I wondered why my browser said I needed a plug in for this site? That's something that never happened before.

Hmmm...after installing the QuickTime plugin I found that my laptop would not play any other sound file, including MP3's.  I had to go into Control Panel and uninstall all of QuickTime.

And now that I've looked back at DR Emily's posts, I've found that the QuickTime control has been replaced by a mini Windows Media Player control.  I can still listen to the twin glories of the Canadian and Austrailian national anthems.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 06:28:42 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up