Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISAPPEARING TOES  (Read 17304 times)

Ben

Re:THE DISAPPEARING TOES
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2004, 06:32:18 AM »

I could not load the plug in at all. It froze my browser. When I closed it down and re-opened it the Crescendo player had not been installed but everything else on my system seems to be OK. I guess I will just have to miss (to quote DTM) the twin glories of the Canadian and Austrailian national anthems.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »

Never been a big fan of magic.  But I agree with DR Noel, that was one of the most magical and inventive set changes that I have ever witnessed.

Never been a big fan of Halloween.  I tolerate it, but give me Thanksgiving any day.

And yes, DR's who responded, you were all correct.  The last time Miss Stefanie Powers appeared in a musical was the PaperMill production of APPLAUSE, which the Weissler's decided to subtitle "The Musical All About Eve."  Which it isn't.  Well it is, but it's pretty much the musical that's all about Margo.

She played the PaperMill run, and then set out on what was to be a season-long tour, which folded after 5 weeks.  I remember she made it to Cinci, and possibly Wilmington, but don't recall where else she managed to play before it closed.  And yes, Ann Reinking directed and choreographed.

How do I know?  CAMI was booking the tour, and I still have the opening night present, which was one of those 4-inch lucite stars with "APPLAUSE: The Musical All About Eve" inscribed on it.

She also appeared in GOYA in London as I recall.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2004, 06:47:04 AM »

Vote Tuesday, or we'll lose a lot of other fine young men like Jed.

Buckle down, DR Noel!  Buckle down!  Something is stirring, shifting ground.  It's just begun.  The winds of change are blowing!  I can feel it!  The air is humming and something great is coming!  Soon'll be livin' in a brand new state!  Brand new state, gonna treat you great!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2004, 06:55:45 AM »

She played the PaperMill run, and then set out on what was to be a season-long tour, which folded after 5 weeks.  I remember she made it to Cinci, and possibly Wilmington, but don't recall where else she managed to play before it closed.  And yes, Ann Reinking directed and choreographed.

She also appeared in GOYA in London as I recall.

DRStuart, as I recall, the reviews for the Papermill production were atrocious.

I believe she did MATADOR in London with John Barrowman, p'raps?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2004, 06:55:57 AM »

Well, depending on the results on Tuesday, I've always thought at least New York, if not much of the upper East Coast could secede and form our own country. We would also accepts immigrants and refugees from the left coast, and those in the Midwest and South who wish to emigrate to New Found Land (oops or spoo, can't use that, our Northern brethern and sistren have taken it).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 06:56:21 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004, 06:56:47 AM »

Buckle down, DR Noel!  Buckle down!  Something is stirring, shifting ground.  It's just begun.  The winds of change are blowing!  I can feel it!  The air is humming and something great is coming!  Soon'll be livin' in a brand new state!  Brand new state, gonna treat you great!

Well, DRDTM, from your lips to God's ears.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 06:57:52 AM »

Mr. Moore, good to see you up and about. Look for a USPS (United States Postal Service in internet/acronym lingo) object in your mailbox in the next few days.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2004, 07:03:24 AM »

Mr. Moore, good to see you up and about. Look for a USPS (United States Postal Service in internet/acronym lingo) object in your mailbox in the next few days.

DRBen, why didn't you and Mr Anthony just come up and see me? (A Mae West reference!)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2004, 07:12:08 AM »

DRStuart, as I recall, the reviews for the Papermill production were atrocious.

I believe she did MATADOR in London with John Barrowman, p'raps?

That's the one I meant.  (GOYA was DC, with Domingo, no?)

(I knew it was something Spanish......)

And yes, the APPLAUSE reviews were atrocious.  Both for star and property, as I recall.  (They had made many changes to the original.  I often wondered if they weren't better off leaving it as it was, and playing it as a period piece.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2004, 07:29:24 AM »

Never been a big fan of Halloween.  I tolerate it, but give me Thanksgiving any day.

Dr Stuart, I can tell you what Halloween is all about.

Lights, please?

"And there in the same country were shepherds, abiding in their fields and keeping watch over their flock by night.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, they were set upon by werewolves, vampires, witches and zombies, who tore the poor shepherds limb from limb, as they drank their blood and tore and ate their flesh.  The shepherds tried to plead for mercy, but their cries fell on the deaf ears of the undead army, and they died emitting bloodcurdling screams of sheer pain and horror as they succumbed to the razor sharp teeth and claws of the monsterous hoards.

The next morning, nothing remained of the shepherds nor of their slaughter, except for the sheep, which remained untouched.  But their white wooly coats were now permanently dyed red with the blood of their dead masters."

And that's what Halloween is all about DR Stuart.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »

DTM, you need to meet my Anthony. He loves Halloween while I am firmly ensconced in the Stuart camp. Perhaps because I live half a block from the parade route I have come to dread the day of Halloween no matter what day of the week it falls on. But even before that, I just never "got" Halloween the way many of my brethren and sistren (it's the second time I've used that phrase today, I sense a trend) embrace it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 07:39:27 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2004, 07:46:33 AM »

DR Stuart,

You're on the cusp - and about to ascend!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2004, 07:51:48 AM »

Dr Stuart, I can tell you what Halloween is all about.

Lights, please?

"And there in the same country were shepherds, abiding in their fields and keeping watch over their flock by night.

The next morning, nothing remained of the shepherds nor of their slaughter, except for the sheep, which remained untouched.  But their white wooly coats were now permanently dyed red with the blood of their dead masters."

And that's what Halloween is all about DR Stuart.

And was this the beginning of the tradition of dyeing coats and shoes to match?  For holiday apparel and other clothing items such as mother-of the bride (or bar-mitzvah boy) dresses, shoes and clutches?  For this indeed would be a reason to celebrate!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2004, 07:52:02 AM »

Have a safe trip, DR Panni.

I have to admit of all the major Broadway composers, Kurt Weill is my least favorite. I've tried to love him, but the most I can summon up is a grudging respect. There are songs of his I like, but of his overall output, I just wouldn't go to his shows for easy listening or background music while I'm cleaning or something. (And I readily admit I've never even heard LOVE LIFE.) And I admit, it's MY lapse. I recognize he's wonderful. My ear just doesn't quite get his vibe.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2004, 07:53:21 AM »

DR Stuart,

You're on the cusp - and about to ascend!

In line with my evening activity from earlier this week......:

Praise to Buddha!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2004, 07:54:08 AM »

And, yes, good travel and moving vibes to DR Panni.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2004, 07:58:46 AM »

Not a big fan of magic or Hallowe'en. I, too, saw THE MAGIC SHOW and though the illusions were amazing, I was saddened that this was passing itself off as a Broadway show.

In the early years of teaching, we used to have junior high students (grades 7-9) come to school in costumes! After a couple of disruptive years, that was outlawed, but we'd still have kids come in painted faces and be sent to the bathroom to wash it off. Amazing!

As an adult, I've been to a few costume parties, but I really don't enjoy it. I get to play dress up on stage and DO SOMETHING in the costumes, so I guess that satisfies my need to don clothes other than my own.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2004, 08:00:36 AM »

A friend is taking me to a new restaurant for lunch today - supposedly a lot of food for a little money. I can't wait!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2004, 08:08:00 AM »

! ! ! ! !  Welcome to HHW Godhood, DR Stuart  ! ! ! ! !
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2004, 08:37:52 AM »

Mercy buckets, DR DTM.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2004, 08:42:21 AM »

Yes, DRStuart, I hadn't noticed the new aura about you.  Kudos!  Kisses!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2004, 08:58:08 AM »

Well, not only do I have a new favorite movie musical, I also have another movie that I can't wait till it's on DVD:  Ken Russell's The Boy Friend.  I caught the last half of this last night on TCM and I was mesmerised.  It's a charming, nostalgic recreation of the cheesey British stage and screen musicals of the 30s.  I would say that it was pure in its intent except I can't help but think that Russell conceived of a great deal of the screen imagery through the use of LSD (though thankfully not to the extent of some of his later movies like Altered States.)  Still, it seems to be a logical transfer of the stage show, with a lot of good perfomances from an interesting cast.  I'll need to catch this one on tape until it's ever released on DVD.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2004, 09:01:04 AM »

Halloween is loads of fun when celebrated with likeminded individuals.

However, it's not fun at all when you're around a bunch of grinches.

Live and let live I always say.  What do you always say?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2004, 09:01:50 AM »

I just sneezed.  Three times.  I blew my nose.  All is now better.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »

Bon-Voyage, DR Panni... oh I mean.. Bon Voyage-uh.... (Ah, a Cole Porter reference)  

Magic has always baffled me and most of the time I'm in awe of the people who perform magic flawlessly.    However, the magic performed today in the greater Bay Area is the magic that I will TRY and do to "Fix" Mr Brohn's orchestration for "Wick" (from the Secret Garden) to make it servicable for our production.  It's not written well, IMHO.  

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2004, 09:13:35 AM »

Greetings from Ohio - a battleground state:

The "other" voting I'm following pretty closely is the competition to decide which title will be chosen for The Big Read, a community reading initiative in which my workplace (Dayton Metro Library) is heavily involved.  Wondered how folks on HHW would vote on these titles:

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
Nickel and Dimed: On (not) Getting by in America, by Barbara Ehrenreich
Peace Like a River, by Leif Enger

If you'd like more info, go to:

www.daytondailynews.com/service/content/service/extras/bigread.html
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2004, 09:14:33 AM »

Well, not only do I have a new favorite movie musical, I also have another movie that I can't wait till it's on DVD:  Ken Russell's The Boy Friend.  I caught the last half of this last night on TCM and I was mesmerised.  It's a charming, nostalgic recreation of the cheesey British stage and screen musicals of the 30s.  I would say that it was pure in its intent except I can't help but think that Russell conceived of a great deal of the screen imagery through the use of LSD (though thankfully not to the extent of some of his later movies like Altered States.)  Still, it seems to be a logical transfer of the stage show, with a lot of good perfomances from an interesting cast.  I'll need to catch this one on tape until it's ever released on DVD.

DRDTM, I suspect there will be a blitz of Ken Russell at some point, because neither BOYFRIEND nor THE DEVILS has made DVD yet.  When I did Twiggy's album with BK, I missed her so much after the sessions that I rented THE BOYFRIEND just to have her around.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 09:16:08 AM by elmore3003 »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2004, 09:20:20 AM »

Live and let live I always say.  What do you always say?

I say, "Kill them!  Kill them all!  Invite them over for lunch, and then have them for lunch!  Grab their necks from behind and slowly squeeze the life out of them until their eyeballs pop out of their heads and roll across the floor over to the credenza, which contains the putrefying remains of dear Aunt Amanda, dead these seven long years, who, on that long ago night, criticized my homemade peach crumb cake one time too many, and I found a new meaning to 'stick a fork in it to see if it's done'.  Yes, that's what I always say!  Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!"

And that's what Holloween is also about.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2004, 09:22:54 AM »

And that's what Holloween is also about.

Edgar Allan Poe, too!

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2004, 09:26:33 AM »

We have a grand old theater here in Salem, The Elsinore, that shows silent and classic movies once a month. Often times, before the movie, there will be live entertainment and on occasion that entertainment will be a very handsome and talented young man from Willamette University who is a magician. He puts on the most entertaining act you have ever seen. I would not be at all surprised to see his name in lights some day.

I enjoy Halloween, althought I don't get dressed up for it. I think the last time I dressed up for Halloween was about 3 years ago when most of the people at my work had a costume contest. That was fun.

Which reminds me that I guess I had best get some candy for the trick or treaters!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up