Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISAPPEARING TOES  (Read 17304 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE DISAPPEARING TOES
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2004, 09:28:17 AM »

I say, "Kill them!  Kill them all!  Invite them over for lunch, and then have them for lunch!  Grab their necks from behind and slowly squeeze the life out of them until their eyeballs pop out of their heads and roll across the floor over to the credenza, which contains the putrefying remains of dear Aunt Amanda, dead these seven long years, who, on that long ago night, criticized my homemade peach crumb cake one time too many, and I found a new meaning to 'stick a fork in it to see if it's done'.  Yes, that's what I always say!  Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!"

And that's what Holloween is also about.

OH, my gosh D(TM) that just gave me the best laugh!!! LOL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2004, 09:49:43 AM »

Slept a little later than usual, but it felt good and I recommend it to everyone.  Lovely to wake up to so many excellent postings.  I feel that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.

The Boy Friend was completely lambasted by critics on its original release, and completely ignored by audiences.  It had wretched box office (BO, in Internet lingo) and was gone in just under two weeks.  I saw it five times in one week, all at the Picwood Theater in the Wood of West and loved it every single time.  MGM had cut the thing by ten or fifteen minutes, but I finally saw the uncut version when the film was released on laserdisc.  Now people are beginning to understand how good the film really was.  The choreography (credited to several people) is wonderful, Russell's direction is actually breathtaking at times, Twiggy is entirely adorable, the rest of the cast shines but, for me, the real star of the film are the settings by our very own Tony Walton.  They are beyond brilliant.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2004, 09:50:58 AM »

Since we live in a small, but attractive apartment building which can only be entered by pressing a buzzer and having another buzzer pressed in return, after suitable identification is ascertained, we do not have to go through process of purchasing sugar products with which to heighten the already heightened frenzy of neighborhood children. I say Thank You for apartment buildings in big cities!

I'm not a grinch, really I'm not.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2004, 09:50:59 AM »

Just so you know, there was a bit of prestidigitation that just went on.  I wrote a third paragraph in that last post - said presto-chango and voila - it was gone.  Not as good as The Disappearing Toes, but what is?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2004, 09:52:10 AM »

Greetings from Ohio - a battleground state:

The "other" voting I'm following pretty closely is the competition to decide which title will be chosen for The Big Read, a community reading initiative in which my workplace (Dayton Metro Library) is heavily involved.  Wondered how folks on HHW would vote on these titles:

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
Nickel and Dimed: On (not) Getting by in America, by Barbara Ehrenreich
Peace Like a River, by Leif Enger

If you'd like more info, go to:

www.daytondailynews.com/service/content/service/extras/bigread.html

For what it's worth, DR Ginny (and welcome, btw -- that's "by the way" in internet lingo), "Nickled and Dimed" was the book chosen for the all the incoming freshmen to read here at SUNY Brockport.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2004, 09:52:21 AM »

And, of course, today we will have The Disappearing Panni, who will be on her way to Budapest, Hungary.  An amazing trick, really - she disappears in Los Angeles and magically reappears in Budapest, Hungary.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2004, 09:57:33 AM »

Interesting poll, over at FoodTV.com.

They're asking what parts of Halloween people like the most.

The options are Candy, Costumes, Parties, Kids, and "I don't like Halloween."

"I don't like Halloween" has racked up 24% of the votes.

And here I thought I was all alone, the way so many people carry on.

Anyone else around here not like Halloween?

I don't have anything against Halloween per se, but it just doesn't do anything for me.  It's like Easter for a non-spiritual/religious person (which I am)...what's the point?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2004, 10:25:15 AM »

I've always enjoyed Halloween - I get a kick out of the youngsters and their costumes.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »

DRStuart,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip about N&D at SUNY-Brockport.  I am especially interested in the outcome of our vote, because my friends(?) on the committee have decided that I should be the trainer of the discussion leaders.  I've already found and bookmarked Brockport's Summer Reading Program site, in case Ehrenreich is our winner.  So far, it's too close to call and the paper ballots won't be counted until next week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2004, 10:55:07 AM »

Halloween, Easter, Christmas, all of those holidays I love...I have no religious affiliation, however I enjoy them for the positive aspects of the fun I recall as a kid.

Christmas, particularly, is great fun for me. I don't get stressed out or any of that..I just enjoy the decorations, the excitement, and the "peace to all" part...I even enjoy it when the stores bring out their Christmas decorations in August! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2004, 11:00:47 AM »

Am watching another episode of THE NAMES THE SAME. The panelists are Bill Cullen, Joan Alexander, and Meridith Wilson. Cullen I know, the other two I am not familiar with...but it is such a fun show. ...Do any other DRs watch these old game shows?

The point of THE NAMES THE SAME, for those who are not familiar with it, is a guest is brought on who has a famous name (although he or she is not famous)...for instance this episode had regular people whose names were: A. Kick, June Groom, Mamie Eisenhower...the panel asks questions of the guest to identify their name. Hilarity ensues. Then they have a celebrity guest who has chosen the name of someone famous that they would like to be and the panel guesses who that is...this episode had Piper Laurie (Universal-International star who is plugging her new movie MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER, LOL!)  who wants to be, of all things, Francis the Talking Mule (what do you bet the heads of Universal told her to choose that name!).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 11:02:00 AM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2004, 11:08:10 AM »

Did anyone else have a very hard time reading the posts (about an hour ago)?

I LOVE Halloween.  I love candy.  I love costumes.  I love looking at the kids dressed in costumes.

I have a funny halloween story.  The last time I went trick or treating was in high school.  But about 5 years ago, I wanted to see if I could get away with doing it as an adult.

Since I am only 5'3  1/2 and medium sized, I wondered if I could simply put a masked costume on and look like i was 14-16.

As my accomplice was my uncle and his little poodle.

The trip was a success.  Even neighbors who knew me couldn't recognize me.  And in fact my cousin poodle got some treats too cause she was so cute.

My uncle was playing along introducing me to people as "his little niece".

It was actually quite fun.

I'm not sure if I'll have anyone over this year. Usually my sister, her hubby and others come by. But this year my sis will have her own house and she'll be giving candies out there!

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2004, 11:10:52 AM »

Did someone say they saw DR Jason on here yesterday????

Ben

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2004, 11:14:34 AM »

MBarnum mentioned Meridith Willson in The Name is the Same.

I'm assuming that's the composer of the Broadway show, The Music Man.  This sounds like a 1950s game show and Music Man opened in 1957.

Robert Reiniger Meredith Willson was born in Mason City, Iowa on 18 May 1902. Meredith Willson was educated at Damrosch Institute of Musical Art (now known as The Juilliard School).

Willson is known for his work on the popular radio programs: Carefree Carnival (1933-1936), Maxwell House Coffee Time (1940-19) and The Big Show (1950-1953). He wrote the theme song for Maxwell House Coffee Time - "You and I" which became a number one hit. He also wrote "May the Good Lord Bless You and Keep You" as the show closer for The Big Show.

Willson scored Chaplin's The Great Dictator and Hellman's The Little Foxes. He was a Major in the U.S. Army during World War II and was the Musical Director for the Armed Forces Radio Service.

Willson also wrote The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which opened on Broadway in 1960 and Here's Love (a musical adaptation of Miracle on 34th Street) opened on Broadway in 1963. Willson's song "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" written in 1951 and made famous by Perry Como was used in Here's Love.

The above was taken (in parts) from a Web site w/information about Mr. Willson.

Ben

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2004, 11:15:55 AM »

Kerry mentioned Jason in his post yesterday but we haven't seen Hide nor Hair (where did that phrase come from) of the young'n for quite some time. Perhaps his good friend, DR Jose can fill us in on Jason's whereabouts and whatabouts.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D[/move]

Congratulations Dear Brother/Dear Reader Stuart on achieving HHW deity!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D[/move]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2004, 11:20:41 AM »

Safe travels, Dear Reader Panni!  Have a wonderful trip!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2004, 11:23:43 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I, too, slept in today.  Of course, since I really did not get to bed until around 4:30AM... Was just restless last night.  Still feeling a little restless now, but I think I just need to get outside and let the sun shine down on me. Whatever the heck that means... ??

As for magic and magicians... When I was but a wee sprig of a lad - of course, I was never that 'wee' nor that much of a 'sprig' - I used to love magic.  I would jockey for TV time whenever specials would come on: Doug Henning, David Copperfield, etc.  And I used to pick up Magic Magazine from time to time.  -I still remember an article that featured Sherri (Shari - sp?) Lewis of Lampchop fame.  I don't remember the specifics of the article, but I just remember not associating Lambchop and magic tricks.  Oh, and once when I was in fourth grade, I presented a magic show for my class courtesy of one of those toy store kits.

-And I still want to know how those interlocking rings work/don't work....

Ssshhh....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2004, 11:24:21 AM »

In his notes, Dear BK said:

...Tell us...what tricks you’ve actually done.

Inasmuch I am a man of discretion, and this being a family site, I must respectfully decline.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2004, 11:26:01 AM »

Kerry mentioned Jason in his post yesterday but we haven't seen Hide nor Hair (where did that phrase come from) of the young'n for quite some time. Perhaps his good friend, DR Jose can fill us in on Jason's whereabouts and whatabouts.

Unfortunately, because of my schedule lately, I haven't seen much of hide nor hair of DR Jason myself.  However, I do know he's still firmly trapped ensconsed in the offices of MTI...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2004, 11:31:35 AM »

Thanks for the update Jose.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2004, 11:32:19 AM »

Christmas, particularly, is great fun for me. I don't get stressed out or any of that..I just enjoy the decorations, the excitement, and the "peace to all" part...I even enjoy it when the stores bring out their Christmas decorations in August! LOL!

There's always a day come July when I behave just like Steve Martin in The Jerk and I can be seen running and shouting through the mall, "The new Hallmark Christmas Ornament Catalog is here!  The new Hallmark Christmas Ornament Catalog is here!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2004, 11:33:34 AM »

A few years ago, I went to Las Vegas with some friends who were insistent on seeing Siegfried and Roy.  While some of the magic tricks in their act were interesting, the "entertainment" (and I use the term loosely) portions of the show rendered the spectacle one of the worst pieces of dreck I have ever seen on a stage.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2004, 11:36:29 AM »

I vote for Nickel and Dimed (and have mentioned it on this site before - which led to someone defending Walmart with vociferous spirit).

In New York, various groups seize different holidays (with parades) and take great pride in calling them their own.  As you may know, St. Patrick's Day is really Irish Pride Day.  Columbus Day is for Italian Pride.  There's also Pulaski Day and Von Steuben Day - I kid you not.  Halloween is Gay Pride Day.  I know there may be another day designated as Gay Pride Day, but this is the parade that draws the bigger crowds.

I'll be skipping town, as I loathe crowds (of any stripe).
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2004, 11:36:53 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader Dan (the Man):  The content and tone of your posts today lead me to suggest that you might want to consider a switch to decaf.

:o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2004, 11:43:55 AM »

And, of course, today we will have The Disappearing Panni, who will be on her way to Budapest, Hungary.  An amazing trick, really - she disappears in Los Angeles and magically reappears in Budapest, Hungary.  

I understand a driver has been arranged for to pick her up at the airport:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2004, 11:46:59 AM »

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
WELCOME TO THE HEAVENS, D.R. STUART!!
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2004, 11:48:05 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader Dan (the Man):  The content and tone of your posts today lead me to suggest that you might want to consider a switch to decaf.

:o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o  

I just realized something--decaf is faced backwards.  Makes you think, doesn't it?
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2004, 11:51:47 AM »

The editor chap just called and has a cold, so we've rescheduled our session for Monday.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2004, 11:54:33 AM »

Inasmuch I am a man of discretion, and this being a family site, I must respectfully decline.

Perhaps we know some of them?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up